[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you play a somewhat dim character, /tg/? I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11

File: bhaalspawn bhaalspawning.png (275KB, 671x381px) Image search: [Google]
bhaalspawn bhaalspawning.png
275KB, 671x381px
How do you play a somewhat dim character, /tg/?

I'm not talking "giggling at mushrooms and talking like the Hulk" stupid, but just a little dimmer or not as analytical. I always find myself breaking character because I tend to overthink and plan out what I do, but I sometimes find DMs that wonder if that's really in character for who I'm playing.

I'm playing a 'dim but wise' druid soon and I want to get it right.
>>
>>43896680
Watch Forest Gump.
>>
>>43896680
stop thinking
>>
Very straightfoward.
The kind of guy who goes to art exhibits to appreciate pretty or well crafted art instead of art with deep meaning.
His plans aren't always well thought out, and details aren't given the greatest attention.
>>
>>43896780
>The kind of guy who goes to art exhibits to appreciate pretty or well crafted art instead of art with deep meaning.
OP asked for a dim character, anon.
>>
>>43896780
>>43896850
someone post the picture of a wood dragon next to the carving of a guy sucking himself off
>>
Maybe put some sort of mechanical handicap on yourself.

Like if you come up with a good plan, maybe you have to make some sort of intelligence test to be able to use it.
>>
>>43896680

The answer is to overthink things even more than you're doing now. Since games don't unfold in real time you can figure out what a character of average-to-bright intelligence would do (depending on your ego and actual intellect) then take time to remove some information from the situation and then logically deduce what you would do instead if you pretending not to know about those things. Just don't overdo it, it's one thing to forget that a gravel slope isn't the best surface to charge down or to fail to move for a more secure position along the wall when a bar brawl breaks out but quite another to "forget" how gravity works or think that leaving a lit torch on a hay bale isn't going to cause problems.
>>
>>43896680
>somewhat dim

Basically, be totally unaware of your ignorance. And have some general "core" beliefs which are partially wrong, but stable in that your character consistently adheres to them despite interaction with the world. Otherwise, talk and seem as if you were a perfectly normal person.

The answer is must be chosen from the first 2 things you thought of, even if they are utterly stupid or unworkable. Even if you realized a better solution OOC half a second later, have your character keep doing what he was before and insist that he's right. He might quiet down after being definitively proven otherwise or shouted down, but harbors resentment that his "right" answer didn't work. This tendency only intensifies in a crisis situation, as he doesn't have time to humor others' "wrong" ideas.

Also, be utterly incapable of thinking outside his worldview. For example, your character encounters an atheist or transgendered person, but still insists that this person "is" some religion despite a lack of belief (i.e. claims to be Atheist, but still "is christian" because his parents were christian), or that this person "is female" despite his disagreement with the idea.

Similarly, he might with complete seriousness consider his preferences to be objective and universal, and cannot possibly understand why others would like shit music, date ugly women, pray to wrong gods, or pay for shitty art. The usual conclusion is that these people are deficient, or have been tricked or coerced into liking things that are wrong.
>>
>>43896680
Usually as ignorant of his surroundings, one track mind and a simply vocabulary who seems to follow commands to a point, never thinking beyond given orders and what's described to him.
>>
>>43896680
Act like a typical murderhobo.
>>
Just come up with the best plan possible that you, the player, know. Now throw that out because you're not using it. Try cutting out some information. Maybe your PC didn't hear everything the party agreed on to be part of the plan. Maybe he thought the beer only costs some silver rather than a gold piece and gets into a dispute about what the barman said.

All you're doing is basically removing a few little exact details that you as the player know and having your character act on incomplete information or misunderstandings of said information.
>>
>>43897778
So basically be /tg/?
>>
>>43897778
You. You're a funny guy, anon. I like you.
>>
>>43896680
I stop thinking before I say what I'm going to do.
>>
(I'm assuming D&D here)
"Dim but wise" would be someone with average-low INT and good WIS, right? Since INT usually equals booksmarts, and WIS usually equals worldly understanding, Then play him like Goofy.

You aren't going to act in an overly logical manner, but rather one that makes sense on personal intuition.
You don't eat that plant because it's generally a bad idea, rather than because of your learnings.
You seek shelter from that loud howl because loud howl = dangerous, rather than loud howl = monster from the big book of scary things.
You'd probably be the first to say whether or not you trust someone from "gut feeling."

>>43897778
>>43897812
Ignorance is usually associated with low WIS, not low INT
>>
>>43898137

He could also read about Taoist monks. The kinds of guys who did absurd shit and looked like idiots to everyone else, but later on they start going on about how it made sense in the end.
>>
>>43896680
>plan out what I do

There's your problem, smart guy - you're supposed to be planning what your character would do, and if you don't KNOW how to RP a certain char archetype, YOU CHOOSE A DIFFERENT ONE.

I'm gettin' too smart for this shit,
the thread (ironometer pins out).
>>
>>43896680
Be more spontaneous. Try to avoid taking more then one or two looks at any given circumstance. The idea is to avoid taking in all the details. Listen for only the key points that the DM is saying and try not to search for anything hidden in their words. Ignore obvious tip-offs. Try to avoid taking in all information and base your decisions on limited info.
>>
File: k132.jpg (102KB, 728x1202px) Image search: [Google]
k132.jpg
102KB, 728x1202px
>>43896680
Op it's not that difficult for me cause I pretty much am the high wis, low int, character irl.
I'm pretty straight forward and, although im not naive, I take things literally or try to find the most straight forward and 'stupid' (least complicated) path.

Basically try to be imai from KKOW
>>
File: 2015-11-29-17-48-55--80747341.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-29-17-48-55--80747341.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Pic related.
>>
>>43898030
>So basically be /tg/?
A bit like some of the less-cerebral posters here, yeah. But such qualities are by no means unique to /tg/ or even 4chan. Most of that post was inspired by real-life experiences with dim-witted people.
>>
Don't multi-task, and only focus on one thing at a time. If the character is eating, make him slow to respond to conversation or other interruptions. If he's cleaning or organizing something, do the same.

Once he sets a goal for himself, don't change it or at least make it hard to change. You want to be the opposite of "sharp" as it's used colloquially. No wit, no humor, no general sense of competence. Just decent at knocking down tasks slowly, one at a time.
>>
>>43901223
Heavy has a Ph.D in Russian Literature -- he's not as stupid as he seems. And that's not just relying on dueterocanon dialogue from Poker Night: his original bio implies this as well. If you're going with the D&D definition of "INT," though, his relative lack of proficiency in English compared to Russian I guess makes him fit, technically speaking.
>>
>>43897778
too real man.
>>
>>43902082
Maybe Scholar(Literature) is a Wisdom based profession?
>>
File: 8Rj6Ma9.gif (281KB, 1190x877px) Image search: [Google]
8Rj6Ma9.gif
281KB, 1190x877px
>>43896873
>>
>>43896680
I drink
>>
While >>43897778 was stellar despite that -ed on transgender, two points from me:
a) Be slow around new concepts. I know that's also basically what >>43897778 said, but I consider that a key part, and a key part that wasn't formulated explicitly. You may pretty well accept that there is some thing out there you were not aware of, but you'll need time to incorporate it in your worldview, not needing a reminder about its existence.
b) It may sound funny, but it really helps in my experience: Think in simple sentences. Try to verbalize your thoughts (internally) and pay attention that everything is said in a grammatically easy way. If you make a plan, it MAY be a rather brilliant plan, but it won't involve lot's of checks and counterchecks or alternatives.
>>
>>43896680

I read Winnie the Pooh
>>
File: trannies need different help_1.png (387KB, 500x624px) Image search: [Google]
trannies need different help_1.png
387KB, 500x624px
>>43897778
>Trannies
>Being whatever gender they feel like
>And btw ur ignant if u disagree :^)

Clever SJW b8 m8
>>
>>43896680
>sees the Global symbol in the lower right corner

Sup Canadabro post yer beaver.
>>
>>43896747
Yeah just do things because it needs to be done
Open that door
Yell at the thing
Investigate the noise
>>
>>43903710
I've been looking for this for months. Thank you Anon.
>>
>>43902660
>pleb makes a shitty generic dragon that he can't even finish
>gets mad that it gets put next to another piece of shit
>>
>>43903733
Fuck off.
>>
>>43903733
>putting words in somebodies' mouth
>calling out someone for baiting, even though they did nothing near it
>"muh sjw buzzword"

Whatever you say, /pol/.
>>
>>43896680

Talk very little. You can plan all you want, but keep it to yourself.

Then, when you do talk, keep it in layman's terms, say it slowly, and use as few words as possible. Also, if you can phrase it ad a question without looking like a 12 IQ white girl, do it.

For example: "Alright, we know they want the ransom money, so let's set up someone as bait, and hide in a bag of holding. We can be taken right into the heart of the base and surprise them from the inside." can be translated to "what if we just... like... make them think they've won?" And let them question you from there, making it seem like their input was much more relevant than it may actually be.
>>
File: trannies_1.png (554KB, 1234x552px) Image search: [Google]
trannies_1.png
554KB, 1234x552px
>>43905721
>>43905737

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8839957

Reminder that you will never be a different gender just because you really want to be and that your mental illness is completely treatable without mutilating your genitals and trying to convince everyone around you that he is a she.
>>
File: sad_slowpoke.jpg (24KB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
sad_slowpoke.jpg
24KB, 350x300px
Reading all these answers just makes me doubt whether I am actually kinda dim myself.
>act is if you had limited information and constantly screw up because of it (I constantly mix all kinds of little details up)
>don't multitask
>once you set a goal for yourself, make it hard to change
>no wit, no humor, no general sense of competence
>try to find the most straightforward and least complicated path
>>
>>43905737

>>43897778
>Also, be utterly incapable of thinking outside his worldview. . . . For example, your character encounters a . . . transgendered person, but still insists . . . that this person "is female" despite his disagreement with the idea.

>These are made as examples of a "dim" person

You're being quite intellectually dishonest if you think that Anon is innocent of what >>43903733 accused him of, regardless of how >>43903733 went about it.
>>
>>43905853
>>43905863
Yeah that's basically it

Dance like no ones watching
>>
>>43905830
>Calling us trannies because we disagree with you

Nigga I don't believe in it any more than you do but stop shitting up the board
>>
>>43905830
>>43903733
Remember, man: Fantasy setting.

The problem for that character would be looking at a dwarf chick's beard, not a real dude's chode.
>>
>>43905830
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8839957
>Paper is from 1996
>It is suggested for cases of "doubtful" (read: not strong, "pseudotranssexualism") dysphoria
>The drug just dumbs down hormones already there, it doesn't cure anything (the report even said that without the drug, dysphoria returns)
>Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimozide
>inb4 "muh wikipedia isn't valid"

Nice try, though.
>>
>>43905908

>dwarf chick's beard

This has got to be the singular worst meme the dwarfaboos have ever invented.
>>
>>43905830
Fuck off.
>>
>>43905925
Dwarf beard, elf face, drow tits.
Too many races look exactly the same between their sexes.
Fix this /tg/
>>
>>43905919
>The drug just dumbs down hormones already there, it doesn't cure anything (the report even said that without the drug, dysphoria returns)

Well, yes. This is how things normally work with the mentally ill.

You take your happy pills that help you lead a normal life, and without them, you regress to your ordinary, insane self.

Literally the same as any other mental disorder.
>>
>>43905938
The men have penises whereas the women have vaginas.

Problem solved.
>>
>>43905943
And why can't someone transgendered live a normal life (reproduction aside) as the gender they want to be? Because you disagree with it?
>>
>>43896680
Ignore the derailers, OP.

Do you mean low int or low wisdom or both?
>>
>>43905955

Because apparently these people need to convince absolutely everyone on earth that they are the gender they wish they were or they get triggered into a sobbing mess, which doesn't really indicate the best of mental health.

And aside from the questionable benefits of going full Buffalo Bill and surgically putting on a woman suit to try to feel like a gender you'll never be, I'm simply not going to normalize mental illness.
>>
>>43905955
Because genital mutilation isn't part of "a normal life." Neither is shitting up your naturally produced hormones with synthetic bullshit.
>>
>>43896736

this

>when people are insensitive or rude he knows, but he maintains that "stupid is as stupid does"
>he's tough, and he knows that if he must resort to violence he must finish the fight quickly or be able to run away
>he knows who his friends are and who he's going to support, even if they're not treating him right at the moment
>understands the value of money but never prioritizes the acquisition of it
>takes care of the things he owns and the people he loves first and foremost
>>
>>43905737
How was that putting words in somebodies' mouth. Granted the guy he quoted wasn't really baiting but in this case the SJW term was appropriate considering the mention of a transgendered person and saying only a dim person doesn't acknowledge them as their chosen sex.
>>
>>43905955
They can lead a normal life, by seeking counselling for their problem instead of taking needless hormones and mutilating their genitals. That's the thing their shouldn't be transgendered people because while they may feel like the opposite sex/gender/whatever, they aren't and will never be. Normalising all this instead of actually treating it is among the reasons why society is just getting more and more fucked.

But why is this even a conversation we are having on /tg/ come on guys lets make like a bad gm and bring this thread back onto the rails. With that in mind....

A dim character can be many things but usually, includes a lack of social graces, not knowing what to and what not to say and I don't mean like uncultured I mean just blurting out what ever is on their mind as well as just a lack of forethought in their actions produces a reasonably dim character but not all idiots lack forethought and grace and not all smart people have them.
>>
>>43906548
>in this case the SJW term was appropriate considering the mention of a transgendered person
I disagree with what your consider an act of war.
>>
File: Roll Empathy.jpg (19KB, 239x236px) Image search: [Google]
Roll Empathy.jpg
19KB, 239x236px
>>43896680
Believe everything anyone tells you unless it is blatantly impossible or obviously a lie. Never roll Empathy/Sense Motive. Never roll to search. Never analyze anything. Just take stuff at face value, even if it's ridiculous.
>>
>>43896680
I play it as a kind of really blunt straight to the point guy. Not necessarily subservient or submissive, but he knows he isn't smart and has no problem relying on other people for the complicated stuff and as a result he overcompensates with bravado and "planning" that comes in the form of excessive references to how "I saw this shit in a Tarantino movie and it did fuckin' not end goddamn well for anybody". Really low diction, lots of slang and colloquialisms, uses "fuck" as a conjunction, ect.

But that's just me and I have no idea if that sort of character is even remotely what you're going for.
>>
>>43903710
It's easy to forget the wit, charm and simple beauty of Pooh when the last thing you saw was that Disney abomination.

I shed a little tear remembering those stories. Thank you anon.
>>
>>43905853
You can be dim and wise.

My gf is frankly a little dim, but damn if she doesn't tell me the way things are more often than I tell her.
>>
>>43896680
I'm playing the "Lawful-Stupid Orc Paladin at the moment, who is just obsessed with killing things that he deems evil. I just play him as having a short attention span and no area-awareness. Wandering headlong into anything that may be a trap, because he's to stupid to realize that there may be better ways of handling it.
>>
>>43896680
Don't use big words.
>>
>>43896780
>The kind of guy who goes to art exhibits to appreciate pretty or well crafted art instead of art with deep meaning.
>implying
>>
>>43907910
The twist is that you're just whipped and will agree with anything she says.
>>
File: wat_1.gif (7KB, 782x543px) Image search: [Google]
wat_1.gif
7KB, 782x543px
>>43906811

>Be demonstrably wrong
>Use emotionally charged language to make a post when you don't have a leg to stand on anyway

Definitely an SJW.
>>
i'll give an example with a Fallout character of mine, Ricko Fangley

>8 INT & 9 STR
>grew up in a small California junkyard all his life and has never been more than 3km away from it before the campaign's quest to New Vegas
>his INT score is tied into his mechanical and computer rolls, very rarely his decision-making

ways that he was 'somewhat dim'
>irresponsibly generous with a large amount of caps. will buy things to make people feel better, eat well, etc
>took some risks that can either be construed as nobly brave or dangerously short sighted, such as convincing a BoS patrol that he could reactivate HELIOS 1 in return for letting a maimed little girl use their auto doc. his ruse worked up to the point he was introduced to Father Elijah personally, WHICH DIDNT GO SWELL
>trusted the wrong people and suspected the wrong people

innocence/naivete can go a long way, basically. makes me wonder how a malicious dim character would be
>>
>>43897778
>or that this person "is female" despite his disagreement with the idea.

Whether you are in the middle of Pakistan or Sweden, transgenderism will cause you psychological and physical pain/distress until you have a sex-change surgery.

>Mental illness refers to a wide range of mental health conditions — disorders that affect your mood, thinking and behavior.

Sounds like transgenderism to me.
>>
>>43908453
Shit, didn't finish my post.

My point is that someone who doesn't want to give in to a transgender's convictions is not necessarily "dim"
>>
>>43908378
>>Be demonstrably wrong
Medical science would disagree. Some would consider it "disgusting degeneracy" and "the reason our society is going to shit" to trust scientific research into the human mind and body over hostile jokes made by people on the internet, but their definition of "disgusting" is at least as untrustworthy as their definition of "war".

>>Use emotionally charged language to make a post when you don't have a leg to stand on anyway
That's also you, as your following comment demonstrates.
>>
>>43908453
>transgenderism will cause you psychological and physical pain/distress until you have a sex-change surgery.

>Physical pain

Bullshit.

>>43908470
That's not what the first guy said either.
>>
>>43908730
>Bullshit.
>What is gender dismorphia

Don't those faggots feel like the people that feel they have an extra arm, except that for trannies it's an uterus/penis?
>>
>>43906548
>Acknowledging transgendered people as their preferred sex makes you an SJW now.

Are we really that far down the rabbit hole?
>>
>>43910433
>>43910431
>>43908730
>>43908654

don't care about this shit, stop derailling this shit again with pol/SJW war.

As for >>43896680 , just make someone down to earth. Make straightforward plan, if complicated stuff arise, just throw it to the nerd of the party, and expect them to be able to solve every complicated matter. Without being passive agressive, just genuine expectation that the the "well-read" can handle any complicated problem, because duh, he is smart and shit.
>>
>>43896680
My best character was an illiterate forest gump fighter in a party of chaotic evil characters.

He ended accidently sparking a race-war and becoming the only living white man in an entire town
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.