[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mfw I've listened to The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: TOM BOMBADILLOOOOO!!!.jpg (268KB, 751x1063px) Image search: [Google]
TOM BOMBADILLOOOOO!!!.jpg
268KB, 751x1063px
>mfw I've listened to The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion audiobooks so many times, I've memorized them
>mfw if I was ever accidentally flung backwards in time I can make a comfortable living as a storyteller
>wonder how it would change history if I spent my life in the Celtic Iron Age wandering around, telling people Tolkien's stories for a living?
>realize just how fucking high I am
>>
File: Tolkien_with_pipe.jpg (81KB, 533x755px) Image search: [Google]
Tolkien_with_pipe.jpg
81KB, 533x755px
bump
>>
>>43883293

I've often dreamt of going back in time and writing all the famous contemporary tales of today and claiming that I came up with all of that shit

Not Tolkien though
>>
>>43883293
>wonder how it would change history

Plagiarism for profit only works in the modern world, OP. Pretty sure Iron Age wanderers never got rich by talking shit.
>>
>>43883293
To be a bard you should have more than a 6 CHA, OP.
>>
I liked the movies better than the books

and I just can't manage to give a shit about the Similiarion
>>
>>43885559
>you must be over 18 to browse 4chan
>>
>>43885709
To be fair, the silmarillion reads like the old testament, but with more genealogy somehow.
>>
>>43885749
actually less and no not really
>>
>>43883293
I always wanted to take a projector and a shit load of films back to late 40s or early 50s.

Set up a traveling cinema and charge a small amount for admission.

I would wear a fancy coat, smoked goggles, big heavy boots, leather driving gloves and a battered top hat and be all eccentric and shit.

It would be so fun.
>>
>>43888629
I keep a copy of the Silmarillion on my bedside table. Whenever I'm having trouble sleeping I open it up and read a few pages. Knocks me out like a charm.
>>
I don't know that the Iron Age Celts would be very into Tolkien's sanitized, derivative version of their stuff to be honest. You would also completely lack the context for the kind of stories period storytellers told and how they told them.
>>
>>43888629
At least 1/4 of the book is either genealogy or geography
>>
>>43888629
yes yes it does
>>
>>43885480
Depends on the place. In Ireland, ''bards'' sorta had more power than Kings. They could curse ya and shit and even if they weren't magic then the reactions of others would bear it true.

Then again, they studied by laying on the ground with a bigass rock on their chest and not being let up until they finished reciting the story so they had to be pretty tough
>>
File: tips-if-you-go-back-in-time.jpg (227KB, 825x910px) Image search: [Google]
tips-if-you-go-back-in-time.jpg
227KB, 825x910px
>>43883293
Better do something useful for humanity
>>
File: is_this_a_traditional_game.png (375KB, 1780x700px) Image search: [Google]
is_this_a_traditional_game.png
375KB, 1780x700px
You're clearly not discussing a traditional game. There's not even a single instance of the word "game" in this thread.
>it's implied to be in a game
I don't see that in the OP, so no, this is discussion of a vague idea that did not originate in traditional games. Why imply it and not say it?
Can I post a thread about a piece of dog shit stuck under my shoe, and say IT'S IMPLIED TO BE WORLDBUILDING INSPIRATION FOR PIECE OF DOG SHIT RPG SETTING when called out for literal shit posting?
Either literally every topic imaginable is traditional games, or only traditional games are traditional games. Black and white. Consistency. Justice.
>>
>>43889509
Save it for 2016 Senator Trumph
>>
>>43889641
>a rule says "never do XYZ", written for all to see, no room for interpretation
>person A does XYZ, is punished
>person B does XYZ, is not punished
>asking why is against the rules
The mods effectively ban people because they feel like making that specific person suffer at that moment. If it were because of breaking rules, it would happen every time a rule is broken.
>>
>>43889509
Go back to rpg net

Plenty of moderation to go around over there.
>>
>>43889509

/tg/ also is the history board (before the actual one was made), the fantasy literature board, the fantasy and sci fi retrogames board, and the medieval culture board.

get out, newfag
>>
>>43889771
I've been here since 2009. It was off topic then and it's off topic now.
Are you saying I am factually incorrect about the literal meaning of a series of words on the rules page?
>>
>>43885709
That's a lie senpai
>>
>>43889771
Doesn't change the fact that this thread is shit and there's already a perfectly good non shit Tolkien thread.
>>
>>43889509
I don't usually play the oldfag card, but "things people who like traditional games may also like " has been on for as long as I remember, that would be about six years. It's not something new.
It is not something bad either. It's a non issue.
It doesn't harm your experience on this board and do encourage setting discussion of a broad, well established fantasy universe.
It is NOT a semantically correct traditional game discussion. But is /tg/ related and you should defend it since it enriches and expands the genre.
Your view on the "off topic" problem, on the other hand, presents another issue.
It supports true veiled off topic threads such as "stat me" threads. By that picture's logic, you should defended their existance as they are semantically on topic.
Your inability to see what constitutes or not an off topic thread while taking into account the big picture is what makes you a newfag. Lurk more.
>>
If you think "unwritten rules" are just, by that logic a mod can arbitrarily make up an unwritten rule saying "anons with IP address [your IP address] are banned for typing the letter E" and it would be okay because the mod believes it's a rule.
>>
>>43889885
>things people who like traditional games may also like
Which is literally everything, because we are all individuals who like different things. At that point, why bother having more than one board?
>>
>>43889896
It's a traditional unwritten law. Not made yesterday. If you don't like it don't try to change the whole board to feel better.
Put your effort into making a time machine, go back ten years and unwrite the rules to make you feel special and integrated.
>>
>>43889922
The same way /k/ have /diy/ shelter threads, /fit/ have /sp/ threads and /fa/ have /mu/ threads. Is /tg/ the only board you visit? Is this your first TRUE board? /b/ and /v/ doesn't count.
>>
>>43890013
If I happen to like /pol/ racist baiting, am I allowed to post about it here, WITHOUT disguising it as a thread about orcs or whatever?
After all, it is a thing that could potentially be liked by at least one person who also likes traditional games, so by the "things people who like traditional games may also like" definition, it can't be off topic.
Please draw the line between "things people who like traditional games may also like" and "things people who like traditional games never also like".
>>
>>43890165
Nice, someone read my post but didn't understand what I'm saying.
It is not about what YOU like, it's what the average lurker in a given thread may like.
I never been to /g/, and i know that is tecnology and not graphic desing. Nevertheless, the guys on /g/ will gladly take a thread about cintiq specs. Just how i know /tg/ will gladly welcome a thread about sci fi pics. Not you though. But thanks to god, you are not /tg/ nor in charge of it.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.