[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good one-shot games? Looking specifically for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1445381415915.jpg (200KB, 1134x633px) Image search: [Google]
1445381415915.jpg
200KB, 1134x633px
What are some good one-shot games?

Looking specifically for rules-lite, worthwhile games that your group ran and enjoyed but probably wouldn't play repeatedly.
>>
>>43878522
Lasers and Feelings
>>
>>43878522
Toon. Teenagers for Outer Space. Bunnies and Burrows. Off the top of my head.
>>
Have found Dread to be a great one shot game for an evening. Plays with a Jenga Tower, pull piece out for a skill check, if tower remains standing you are successful, falls over and you fail.
>>
MAID
The pdf SEEMS long, but it really is just mostly random tables, optional rules, scenarios, and random tables
>>
File: 1316026322415.jpg (423KB, 394x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1316026322415.jpg
423KB, 394x4000px
>>43878522

Maid RPG
>>
Microscope, Kingdom, Geiger Counter, Fiasco, Everyone is John, One Last Job, Shock: Social Science Fiction, Cthulhu Dark, Lasers and Feelings, Paranoia
>>
>>43878522
Ninja Burger.
>>
>>43878522

Kobolds Ate My Baby, Maid, Paranoia, and Ninja Burger were all my SHIT on days where I didn't want to bother with D&D planning
>>
>>43878522
>What are some good one-shot games?

Have you tried Russian Roulette?
>>
>>43878522
Board games work too
>>
>>43878522
Goblin Quest or whatever it's called is pretty good too, long as your group is fine with there being no designated narrator.
>>
Convention games I have hosted with great success:

Dread (horror w/ Jenga)
Don't Rest Your Head (horror with character focus)
Everyone is John (beer & pretzels game about multiple personalities)
Lasers & Feelings (Star Trek parody)
A Thousand and One Nights (Arabian Nights storytelling game)
Fate Accelerated (Generic system - a powerful tool)
Engine Heart (/tg/'s own cute robot game)
>>
>>43878522
Russian Roulette.
>>
>>43882101
Underrated post.

The Quiet Year lets you create a world, complete with geographical and political landscapes, and work out a short history of how it developed, and that's pretty much the game. It's fun if you're on the same wavelength as your playgroup, less so if one person wants to be way sillier than everyone else.

Lady Blackbird is available for free, and it's pretty cool for making a short action-oriented story. It comes with its own setting (and it's a good one, but leaves a lot of the worldbuilding up to the players), and I've also played it in a custom setting which was pretty cool too. The rules are very open-ended. It comes with premade characters but gives you the rules to make your own.

You might like One Last Job, which I believe is also free, and puts everybody into an Ocean's Eleven style crime team. It's quite silly but we had a good time. Our game ended up as a Wild West train robbery, but yours could be anything (as long as it involves a team of criminals getting together for one last job, of course).
>>
>>43885822
Quiet Year is the fucking bomb. Lady Blackbird depends on personal preference, it's a love-or-hate thing.
>>
>>43878817
>>43878929
In terms of MAID however I do have one suggestion for you: don't play favour race. That isn't to say it's not a fun game mode, but it gets scary levels of competitive. The GM for the first favour race game we played said "I'm never running that again, by the end you all looked like you wanted to murder everyone else at the table", I've never seen a group play favour race without it getting monopoly levels of ugly. Don't play favour race anon, that bullshit destroys friendships.
>>
Anyone here ever played "Our Last Best Hope"?

It's basically a disaster-movie simulator where a plucky crew of ragtag misfits has to band together on a million-to-one last-ditch effort to save the planet and everyone on it.
>>
>>43878632
>>43885670
Dread
>>
>>43878522
All Outta Bubblegum is fantastic IMO
>>
>>43891597
Same guy here, I was on my phone and didn't want to punch out the rules on that keyboard.

Basics of AOB:
-You start the game with 10 Bubblegum (you can use gum if you want, or just tokens)
-Most non-trivial things require a roll. The DM decides whether your action is "Mundane" or "Kickass". (Example: Opening a door is Mundane, but doing a flying kick to burst through the door is Kickass)
-You then roll a d10. If your action is Mundane, you must roll BELOW the amount of Bubblegum you have. If your action is Kickass, you must roll EQUAL OR ABOVE the amount of Bubblegum you have.
-If you fail the roll, you lose a piece of bubblegum.
-You may instead, before the roll, sacrifice 1 piece of Bubblegum to ensure success for that action
-If someone else wants to do some Kickass action against you and succeeds the action, they then roll another d10:
1-9: They only succeeded in making you more angry.
10: You are knocked out (up to your group what that exactly means)

Superfuntimes Bonus Rule: MAGIC SYSTEM
Not sure where our DM heard this idea, but it was fantastic as an addition:
-If you want to cast a spell, you declare what you want to do, within the realms of reason (or not, it's your game). Roll to resolve as usual. (Some DMs may rule that all magic is Kickass, some may rule that DIFFICULT magic is Kickass and other stuff is Mundane.
-If you succeed the roll, you then draw a WHITE CARD from Cards Against Humanity. You must read it aloud, and then tell the group how the contents of that card are incorporated into your spell (whether it's part of the effect, or if it's part of the casting ritual, etc).
-If you succeed in incorporating the spell (DM discretion), the spell succeeds. If you fail, the spell fizzles (but you DO NOT lose a piece of bubblegum for that!)
>>
>>43892120
Same guy again, hit character limit. Last note:

The setting can be whatever you want it to be, because there's not specific rules. Anything is a weapon, anything is magic (last game I ran I was essentially Scruffy from Futurama, and utilized the Janitorial Magicks to make mops into brooms and mix cleaning fluids to make magical potions, etc. I'm positive there was a couple boilin' toilets there too. All this was within a lighthearted cthulhu style threat impending.

Okay I'm done, i swear.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.