[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 360
Thread images: 30

File: 1447800507323.jpg (420KB, 1001x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1447800507323.jpg
420KB, 1001x1600px
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

Previous thread >>43849251

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

What creatures would you like to see in a Fifth Edition Fiend Folio?
>>
I'm starting a 5th edition campaign for some friends that are new to roleplaying games, but really keen. Most have picked their characters already (Dwarf Paladin, Gnome Wizard, Halfling Assassin, and a Goblin Druid), but the last one really wants to try a Beastmaster Ranger.

I've heard nothing but bad things about BM rangers- is it true they suffer compared to the other classes? Is there an easy way to fix what deficits they have?
>>
>>43866872
More stuff around the 10-15 CR range, preferably with legendary or lair actions to make more solo fights (which don't work as well in this edition) failing that better ways to set up fights with fewer monsters, like the method the angry GM uses.
>>
>>43867197
Their focus is far to focused, relying on far heavier setup to be successful and the animal companion they have eats up their actions.

Wizards has said they may (which means most likely will) do a redo of the Ranger where the animal companion is a core feature and the class abilities aren't as focused.
>>
File: fey corgi.jpg (534KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
fey corgi.jpg
534KB, 850x1100px
>>43867197
It's not a "trap class" in the way things like the samurai or monk were in 3.pf.

A BM ranger can contribute to a party fairly well, but kind of lags behind the others, especially at later levels due to the beast's stats not scaling well. If your game stays low level they may not even notice.

One cool thing a BM Ranger can do is if they are a small race, they can use a mastiff or pterodactyl Animal Companion as a mount.

Also, RAW (but probably now RAI), if an animal companion dies, the ranger can get a replacement of any CR, but to and including the T Rex.
>>
File: Bear therapy.jpg (332KB, 1024x742px) Image search: [Google]
Bear therapy.jpg
332KB, 1024x742px
>>43867279
The Ranger redesign may be a bit of generational blindness on the designers part. I DM encounters, and let me tell you: If I so much as mention an animal in front of a pre-teen player, no matter how off-hand, they will try to catch it and train it. None of them have even heard of 2-3.5 editions, let alone played rangers in them, but what do they know?
Pokemon
They want a creature that can do their fighting for them, then be conveniently stowed away when not needed.
>>
>halfling wizard
>that ability to re-roll 1's

how fucking based can one race/class combination get
>>
>>43867393
Even better if divination wizard.
>Oh, the dragon rolled a 19 on his save? not anymore he didn't!
>>
>>43867393
It'll only come up 5% of any d20 roll you make, which will be much fewer than a martials. You still have a pretty wide range of rolls you can whiff on, though admittedly that rerolling a 1 will likely be way more significant than a martial's given ones.

>>43867411
>Divination halfling wizard with Lucky
>>
>>43866872
Personally I would love to get official stats on the lords of the nine hells. I have always wanted to run a high level campaign through the nine hells where the party is pretty much being sent to purge the devils from existence once and for all.
>>
what do you guys think of 3d6 for stats, but minimum is 8?

or 4d6 drop 1, minimum 8?

i know people here are generally anti rolling, but i really like rolling, and i've been thinking about rolling WITH minimums, because people having 5s and stuff is stupid.
>>
>>43867431
Tiamat is statted in RoT, but she hardly counts since she's not even in charge of the first level anymore.

Actually I'm using hell in my current homebrew campaign. One of the old players that left had a fiend warlock of Bel, who I'm going to bring back into the fold under Bel's command as the leader of the first wave of Hell's invasion of the campaign's material plane. Meanwhile, there's a dragonborn NPC the party has fought with who is scheming against Hell's forces at the behest of Tiamat, trapped on the first level, who has managed to survive several run-ins with the party so far.
>>
>>43867456
I prefer 4d6 drop 1 no retries. If you're not satisfied with the results, take array or point buy. That way they're only gimping themselves of their own choice.
>>
>>43867456
I like it. Unless you are playing in a more beer and pretzels type game, I've never seen someone happy to party with the guy with 3-5 int who cant talk or 3-5 str who can't even carry the most basic gear.
>>
>>43867458
Sounds pretty rad. I would join it. Then again I would love to find a good homebrew game I don't have to DM, no matter the plot.

I joined AL awhile ago and I love it but at the same time I've recently longed for something a bit more homebrew. The closest I've had to homebrew was the darksun 5e rework done by some guy online that a local player picked up and ran for a bit. Has not been that fun.
>>
>>43867470
but then its just like... see if you roll really good, if not take standard array or point buy

i'd like bad rolls to be possible, but like >>43867485 said, its just not fun to be the guy with a super low non human stat...

i know that point buy essentially fixes that problem, everyone will have 8-16 in everything, but i have a perverse attachment to rolling so idk...
>>
File: 1446088795018.gif (994KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
1446088795018.gif
994KB, 500x402px
So, I bought EE today, OotA wasn't in store so I grabbed it. I've never run a module before, so I'm excited.

What are some good and bad about the module?
>>
>>43866872
Why didn't heroes wear pants?

I mean... Come on...
>>
File: we-need-to-go-deeper.jpg (57KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
we-need-to-go-deeper.jpg
57KB, 650x365px
>>43867413
>Divination halfling wizard with Lucky
And a good roleplayer who gets lots of inspiration points
>>
>>43867555
Good: It's very well made, diverse, and allows the players to more or less decide where to go among many others.

Bad: If the players aren't careful, they can be wiped by venturing into a much higher level area. Some of the side-quests are also very bland as well.
>>
>>43867555
Good:
>lots of content
>very modular and sandboxy
>pretty well-balanced overall with some great setpieces

Bad:
>requires a lot of DM prep for various reasons
>organized like fucking garbage but that's nothing new
>easy to wander into areas with powerful enemies
>lots of travel time with not that much to see, area it's set in is very "untamed wilderness" but the content to support that isn't there
>>
>>43867587
>>43867575
So not much to prevent players from accidentally shooting themselves in the foot eh?

And by huge DM prep, what does that entail? I don't have much for supplies aside from the books.
>>
>>43867605
Get notecards and write down info about named NPCs and areas, and keep those organized (it's impossible to reference them from the book on-the-fly, I've tried). Get sticky notes to bookmark your book all to hell. Always make prep notes ahead of time of a few possible things that party might go about, and learn how to improvise because players will catch you off guard if you try to run right from the book.

Standard stuff, but stuff people often assume they don't have to do when they buy a premade adventure. Consider the book a framework more than anything.
>>
>>43867620
Get notecards and put the common enemies and monsters on them for quick reference as well.
>>
>>43867620
>>43867627
Noted, thanks, I don't know when I'll run it since I don't have a group, but I'll take this into account.
>>
>>43867587
>lots of travel time

unlike OoTA, which has lots of travel time, and a little time travel.
>>
>>43866872
Would changing the Reach tag to impose Disadvantage on a character making an attack against an opponent with a Reach weapon until they land a successful attack (meaning they have bypassed the pointy bit) horribly unbalance the game?

I do the theater of mind thing almost exclusively and don't really measure stuff in terms of feet during combat, so the current definition of Reach is kind of useless to me.
>>
I'm new to D&D, my friend has been a GM for a while and is gettng me and 2 others into it, i just got a question

There's a homebrew cleric thing i want to do, my gm says i take it at level 3 for the archetype but i choose a domain at the very beginning for the cleric right? Can't i pick the homebrew right off the bat or is it a subclass i take at level 3
>>
>>43867757
Clerics get their Domain at 1st, tell your DM to RTFM.
>>
>>43867766
>>43867766
Is there an archetype for clerics at level 3 or is there a confusion somewhere with archetypes and classes with my gm
>>
>>43867797
Nope. Level 3 is a dead level for clerics.
>>
>>43867757
Speaking of clerics, is there a list of Death domain spells anywhere? I wanted to make a Cleric of the Raven Queen tasked with organising groups to stamp out undead. I heard something about a death domain in one of the supplements for evil characters, could I just take the domain and be neutral or good?
>>
>>43867805
Thanks for the help man, i've been trying to google things but figured i'd come over to /tg/ and ask here. It's pretty exciting getting into this game, we spent all day working on characters today and going to start a campaign tomorrow.
>>
>>43867816
It's in the DMG and subject to DM approval.
>>
Are sun soul monks a good class to start at level 1? They seem pretty squishy and tough to handle at the low levels. Does anyone have any insight on this?
>>
>>43867816
The DMG has rules for the death domain cleric, although in rules as written it's strictly an evil domain, but it's a small change to make. In fact, I'm playing a non-evil death domain cleric in my current campaign.

Alternatively, one of the recent adventure books had a Cleric of Kelemvor in it, which not only isn't alignment-locked into evil, but also has a subdtantially better death touch ability.
>>
>>43867893
>Cleric of Kelemvor

Does anyone know which one?
>>
>>43866872
nymphs.
>>
>>43867311
>pterodactyl
ah, the halfling mounted on a pterodactyl shooting baddies from above!
>>
>>43867568
peasants wear pants.
>>
Does anyone know where can I find the character sheets of the sword coast legend's characters?
>>
>>43868483
http://dndwizards.tumblr.com/post/131500397081/sword-coast-legends-companions-as-dd-npcs
>>
>>43868500
Woah, that was fast, thank you.
>>
>>43868500
I kinda hate that 5e goes for creature sheets instead of something more character-sheety for NPCs.
>>
>>43868668
Those ones, at least, could do with a fluff blurb at the end.
>>
>>43866872
I'd like to see some more options for summoning spells or even templates that let you easily change a creature's typing.
>>
File: PXZ2_Fami-shot_09-09-15_Top.jpg (58KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
PXZ2_Fami-shot_09-09-15_Top.jpg
58KB, 600x338px
I want to make a Segata Sanshiro character, but I can't figure out how throwing enemies is supposed to work in 5e. I can't find anything in any of the books.

Anyone know, or have a fair homebrew?
>>
>>43869422
OH monk, suck your GM's cock till he gives you 20 levels.
>>
>>43867311
>Also, RAW (but probably now RAI), if an animal companion dies, the ranger can get a replacement of any CR, but to and including the T Rex.
By that understanding, doesn't the new companion get none of the scaling, so you'd better be getting a T-rex because just getting a new goldfish is gonna suck so you're you're obviously pulling this RAW straight from your ass so stop bringing it up like the companion's problem is strictly numerical instead of simply mechanical.

Phone rant. Feels good.
>>
>>43867311
>RAW (but probably now RAI)
I hope you meant totally NOT RAI, because Crawford and Mearls already said it doens't work like that. So yeah, in the most stupid, can't into reading comprehension, RAW ever, you can get a T-rex or whatever, he doesn't get any feature though because, the same way you're ignoring the prerequisites, you also should ignore the features.
>>
>>43869422
>>43869533
OH monk, refluff your flurry extra effects as throws. Also try to convince your DM to let you use Dexterity for shove and grapple Athletics checks.
>>
>>43869533
>>43869630

Thanks for the input!
>>
What are hill dwarves? Surface dwarves?
>>
So guys, seriously, what's the difference between Nature and Survival skill checks? They both do practically the same, or at least survival does everything nature can and does it better.
>Nature: you know that bears shit in the wood
>Survival: you know that bears shit in the wood AND you can locate said bears (and shit)
>>
>>43869823
Nope
>Nature: You know what's a bear and that they shit in the wood
>Survival: You don't fucking know what's a bear, how it looks like, what does it eat or shit, but somehow you can locate one without problems
Welcome to D&D
>>
>>43869882
> DeadSea.png
>>
>>43869810
I like to think they are basically dwarves who chose to live abroad rather than in, on, or under a mountain. They are probably known for most often having settlements on hills though.
>>
>>43869810
Pretty much, they tend to have overland kingdoms and are generally seen as somewhere as uncivilized by other dwarves.
>>
>>43869857
They actually don't specify remotely that much, but sure, if you want to play it like 3.5, the retardation is on you. Nature is Karl von Linnaeus, Survival with Herbalism prof is a Shaman.
>>
>>43869823
>>43869857
Consider that Nature is an Int check, while Survival is a Wis check. So it's more like:
>Nature: You've done loads of book learning about bears. You know how to identify the various species, their diets, their mating habits, and so forth, and can in theory track one or avoid getting mauled by it if necessary.
>Survival: You don't know so much about the theory side of bears, but you've had a fair amount of hands-on experience on tracking bears and/or not getting mauled by one.
>>
File: 1360515360055.jpg (41KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
1360515360055.jpg
41KB, 500x421px
>>43869998
I guess that makes the most sense, thanks!
But when would nature checks ever come in handy then? Seems like such a useless skill compared to survival.
>>
>>43870098
>Knowing weaknesses of creatures
>Extracting poisons and using them
>Gathering potential alchemical supplies
>Know if you can train a creature, sell their eggs or if you need to run because it will wreck your shit

Nature is useful as heck.
>>
>>43869857
That's dumb, dude. It's like the difference between a biologist/zoologist/botanist and a hunter-gatherer/hunter.

Nature gives you a depth of specific information about the subject, while Survival gives you the practical skills necessary to take advantage of the subject in a survival situation.

So on the subject of a river the character using Survival knows that a river is a place you can get water and/or attacked by giant crabs, but more importantly the character might be able to build a simple raft, know what kind of water plants are edible, or the best bait to use to catch the fish in there.

While the character using Nature knows that the Bendy Dick River is fed by several tributaries mostly originating in the Huge Ice Giant Titties Glacier of the Smoky Dragon Anus Mountains. He also knows that it is possible to navigate some but not all sections of the Bendy Dick River via raft, know the edible plants by their taxonomic names and their secondary use as a potent aphrodisiac for ogres, knows that the giant crabs are an invasive species in the region that's reproductive organ is highly poisonous, and maybe even know that the fish that can be caught there are considered a delicacy by the court of King Nobby the Immense Cock'd and his wife Queen Breasticella of Bukkake Island.

Unless the Survival roll character spends a lot of time in/was raised in that biosphere he isn't going to inherently know all of that information from osmosis.

Survival is only more useful than Nature on the basis that nobody knows how to integrate lore rolls into the game.

Really, I just combined them into one skill governed by intelligence to simplify it for a few of the games I ran. The reason for intelligence is because most survival skills and scientific information on biological stuff are learned from either other people or books rather than something you can just sort of feel out.
>>
Reposting since last thread died right after.
>Trying to build a Warlock/Bard for thematic reasons and neat tools in Warlock kit
>Warlock 2 gives at will Mage Armor and Agonizing Blast
>3 gives Chain Pact and level 2 slots but no Voice of the Chain Master unless I lose the Armor or Blast
>4 gives sweet Actor feat and 18 Cha
>5 gives level 3 slots and a 3rd Invocation, but each level progressed in Warlock is one less in Bard
How do I find balance?
>>
>>43870098
As a DM I generally handle it like this:

Nature tells you where to look for signs of a bear. Survival tells you how to track it once you've found usable signs.

Nature also has uses in telling you when something is decidedly unnatural:
> Jesus Christ, these woods got foggy quick.
> And these brambles came right out of nowhere.
> ... Are the trees moving?
A nature check could confirm that, yes, your character remembers reading about similar documented incidents, and how nearly all of them mention a fuckhuge green dragon.
>>
>>43869823
Nature skill = biological knowledge, more or less.
Survival skill, well... they're your survival skills. Knowing how to stay warm on a cold night, tracking. A dedicated DM could let you roll a survival check to see if you can find tracks and determine a direction, then let you roll a nature check to see if you can match the tracks to any animal you know.
Just my personal view though.
>>
>>43870267
My DM also makes us roll nature checks when we want to identify creatures that we haven't encountered before. I'd say knowing what you're up against is pretty vital.
>>
>>43870267
I would definitely consider track identification an application of either skill. A skill that's intended to cover hunting inherently covers that, otherwise you're the worst hunter ever.
>>
File: 1353078640209.jpg (276KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1353078640209.jpg
276KB, 2000x1333px
>>43870173
>>43870185
>>43870267
>>43870292
Thanks guys! I'll be featuring tracking creatures in a swamp in my first session, now I know what to use and when.
>>
>>43870335
Yeah, I'd personally never make anyone do it in two steps, but I'm just saying, if you REALLY want to divide things up between the two...this is how I'd go.
>>
>>43867456
I know some people do 2d6+6, so the minimum's 8 even if they roll the absolute worst rolls.

I like borrowing from Gamma World 7e for one-shot sort of games: Pick two stats. They will be 18 and 16.
The rest is 3d6, down the line.
This also makes it so your racial bonuses either don't really matter for efficacy or are better left on one of the not-chosen stats, so there are going to be a lot more in the way of interesting class/race combos.
>>
>>43868293
Or charging them with a lance! Due to the flyby ability the mount can't be targeted by AoO, and because the Lance has reach the halfling doesn't have to worry about it.
>>
Are there anything anywhere on how to use a centaur as a player race?
>>
>>43870896
Here's 2 from GiTPG
Whether they are any good is up for you to decide
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?371224-Centaur-Player-Race-%28PEACH%29
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?440688-My-first-race!-Centaurs!-C-amp-C-Very-welcome
>>
So I have a table for small effects to fill out a more interesting item table, need a few more if anyone could help (37/48 now). Each bonus comes from wearing an item:

1. Heal 1d4 hp once a day
2. +1 protection against nature (druid and ranger spells etc.)
3. +1 to a random save (1d6)
4. Regain a level 1 spell slot on short rest once a day
5. +1 protection against undead and spirits
6. +1 protection against attack roll spell damage
7. +1 protection against spell and breath weapon saves
8. +1 to rage effects
9. +1 to spell save DC
10. +1 to spell attack bonus
11. +1 to holy damage
12. +1 to initiative
13. +1 to AC
14. +1 protection against certain element's damage (1d6 for fire, cold, poison, acid, lightning, thunder)
15. +1 protection against necrotic and radiant damage
16. Heal an extra 1 hp from hit die when used
17. +1 save to prevent certain condition (1d10 for grapple, prone, disabled sense, charmed, frightened, paralyzed, poisoned, stunned, restrained)
18. +1 on death saving throws
19. +1 to charming (charisma checks and inflicting the condition)
20. +1 to Athletics & Acrobatics
21. +1 to Stealth
22. +1 protection against one physical damage type (1d3 for bludgeoning, slashing, piercing)
23. +1 to all telepathy, clairvoyance, and similar spells
24. +1 to everything while in water
25. Breathe underwater for 3 minutes
26. +1 to all commanding actions (Command spell, charisma checks to tell someone to do something etc.)
27. When you take damage from a spell, the caster takes 1 damage of the same type
28. +1 to Perception against monsters
29. +1 to Insight checks to reveal lies
30. +1 to Nature and Survival
31. +1 to haggling and negotiation attempts
32. +10 ft. to Dash distance
33. +2 hp
34. +1 protection against all evil creatures
35. +1 to Constitution checks
36. +1 to anything done on a reaction (if attack only attack roll not damage)
37. Gain 1 random cantrip (35 total, plus SCAG)
>>
>>43871610
>13. +1 to AC
Was going to remove this, or at least change it to something circumstatial like only against one damage type.
>>
>>43871610
>48-sided die
>>
>>43871644
I have another table of 52 items, so I want 48 so that I can just roll a d100 and the last ones will be less interesting but at least something.
>>
>>43871652
>52-sided die
>>
>>43871659
What? 52+48=100 so 1-52 gives something from the first item table, 53-100 gives something from the second one.
>>
>>43871669
38. A minor curse that forces you respond to every shitpost you see.
>>
>>43871659
>Set of cards without jokers
>>
why is arcane trickster so fucking bad?
>>
>>43871891
Because you try to play it as a full caster rather than a spellsword. If you want a magus, go Valor Bard or Bladesinger if your GM allows SCAG. Or even Paladin.
>>
>>43871891
It's the got the same amount of utility (probably more) as Thief, and Assassin's combat bonuses can be strong but completely situational. Now with Green Flame Blade it's actually better at regular damage output than Thief. No idea what you're bitching about.
>>
>>43871927
>>43871955
rogue is pretty bad
>>
So I've gotten permission to use Matt Mercer's Witch Hunter class, specifically, the totally-not-Geralt class archetype with mutagens. Any advice on optimizing him to best use the mutagens? I will be level 8
>>
So.... is there a special trick behind planning an encounter? I've never DM'd before and I might be for a group soon. I remember playing HotDQ and following the level up on act ending method with our DM.
Like almost every encounter in HotDQ is set to deadly when referenced through the kobold fight club site and we had challenges but none of us died really.
An Adult White Dragon with 4 lvl 7 PCs is well above deadly but we managed it.
>>
>>43871997
Rogue is fine, but keep moving those goal posts.
>>
>>43867485
I actually played a 5str Warlock, it was tones of fun. I took the Noble/Knight background for the retainer.
I played a lazy, snooty prick who needed his servant to perform basic tasks for him.
>>
>>43872023
The DMG has tips for making encounters.
Each party member has an XP threshold for easy, normal or deadly encounters. You add them together, and you get what the party should be able to fight.

Each monster has an XP value, which details roughly how strong it is.
>>
>>43871891
>Can sneak attack + GFB/BB every turn, plus utility spells
>Bad
I dunno, I'm having a great time with it
>>
>>43872173
Yeah, I realize that.
But what I'm asking is how reliable are the tips.
In their own premade adventures, like every encounter is hard or deadly. They have lvl 7 PCs fighting encounters well above a deadly threshold.
Like what CR is too high?
The Blagothkus fight in the last part is 7,700 xp with an adjusted score of 15,400. WELL above deadly.
>>
>>43872268
HotDQ and RoT have notoriously difficult encounters due to their development alongside the final core books. PotA is better and OotA is purposely difficult due to having tons of escape options and NPC bros.
>>
>>43871997
Rogue is one of the best designed classes in 5e with debatably the most powerful class feature.
>>
>>43871891
>High level bonus (level 13+) is getting to cast Haste for yourself.
>Can use Haste's action to attack, triggering the ability to use TWF or XbowXpert bonus attack, and still have a normal action to use.
>Can use that normal action to ready an attack for an off-turn sneak attack every round.
I don't know. Maybe you should tell me.
>>
>>43872413
Maybe not the most powerful class feature, spells being a thing and all, but the most powerful feature that won't be banned for breaking the game with an unlimited army of Simulacrums.
>>
>>43872462

Threadly reminder not to respond to VirtualOptim/Buck Huckins/mogul/Craig. He is a notorious tripfag troll who is not interested in actual discourse and whose vitriol is as tiresome as it is uninspired. Filter and move on.
>>
>>43872462
>shittiest shit in a pile of shit
If you don't like 5e then why are you here?
>Which is?
Reliable Talent. This combined with expertise makes you dominate anything you want to do outside of combat while still being a competent class in combat.

>>43872488
Simulacrum wish abuse is a called a rules dysfunction and should just be ignored.
>>
>>43872010
Not advice for you, but I just read it all. Seems awesome.
>>
File: why-are-you-here-4-638[1].jpg (36KB, 638x491px) Image search: [Google]
why-are-you-here-4-638[1].jpg
36KB, 638x491px
>>43872564
Yes but this isn't 3.0. Stop comparing it to 3.0. Nothing else in 5e has the option to do that. With the combination of reliable talent and expertise it lets them automatically succeed on many checks reguardless of disadvantage.

>>43872508
Aww but its fun!
>>
>>43872638
The real big deal is how many spells that used to solve problems by replacing skills now only augment your existing skills.
>>
>>43867431
In 4e I played a champion of asmodeus
He is a bad ass God and his legions are tough as nails. If you run a campaign in hell make sure to account for how smart he is and how powerful. He would even ally with the abyss if he were in true danger. He bleeds pit fiends btw so he is a real kick in the dick if you fight him.
>>
>Virt is back
>People are STILL GETTING BAITED ONTO HIS HOOKS

You people make it look like you actually missed the little fuck.

Anyway, onto the topic. How would I go about making a dude dedicated to wrestling? I am talking about DABUYA DABUA WEE type of wrestling, lots of grapples and throws into shit like tables and such. I just want to break trees with a motherfucker. Fighter with monk multiclass?
>>
>>43872010
>>43872841

Rather than feeding Virt, why don't we discuss one of these topics?

In regards to an optimized wrestler-- Rogue for Expertise in Athletics, Barbarian for Advantage in Strenrh based checks. Monk isn't so useful though I suppose FoB+stunning fist could be used to initiate grapple checks. Possibly. Not sure RAW.
>>
>>43872841
>>43872941
The master of pulling off showy stunts that don't really hurt the enemy would be an athletics expert valor bard with Shield Master. Fighter with Tavern Brawler if you also want to hurt people. Either way, there's no reason to go unarmored. Wrestling isn't real, after all.
>>
>>43873018
>Wrestling isn't real,

B-BUT JOHN CENA IS REEL ;_____;

I am talking about damaging things though. by saying WWE style I meant doing shit like suplexing people and what not. Occasionally piledriving something (preferably a dragon) into something (preferably into a building)
>>
>>43872941
Consider Lore Bard instead of Rogue, if you're dipping more than one level, for Expertise and Cutting Words. Sneak Attack is wasted since grapples and unarmed strikes don't qualify, and unless you're using Cunning Action to Dash-Fly as a Tiefling or Aarakocra to drop a faggot from 20 feet every turn, there's not a lot Rogue gives you.

Bard/Barbarian would, of course, result in a Str/Cha medium-armor-wearing luchadore who rages in combat and only casts spells out of it, but I doubt you'd have too much of a problem with that.
>>
>>43866872
Fiend Folio aside, there is nothing I want more in terms of epic monters/dieties than the stats for Bahamut. We have a figure, we have the stats and figure for Tiamat: There is nothing I want to do more than be a dragonborn paladin of Io and watch on is awe as these two titans go at each other. And as the epic battle for dragonkind commences, I will only whisper,

"Let them fight."
>>
>>43874127
Which of the two of them has atomic breath?
>>
>>43872941
>Monk isn't so useful though I suppose FoB+stunning fist could be used to initiate grapple checks
OH Monk is fine if you're willing to do some imagining.

You know, the way you were doing anyway.
>>
Are there any whip related official feats? I'm looking to build a whip-focused character and I'm wondering if there's some neat stuff to do with them, or if they're limited to the stat block in the PHB.
>>
>>43874465
Nothing official yet. Whip gives you reach and finesse at the cost of damage.

To be fair, virtually no weapons have exclusive feats in 5e: weapon feats tend to cover a group of weapons, like all crossbows or all weapons with Great in the name.
>>
>>43874465
I played a battlemaster with dual wielding and two whips.
>>
>>43874465
Sadly none of the feats that seem to cover reach weapons seem to cover whips. Which more or less limits you to Defensive duelist.
>>
>>43874465
Your DM might let you grab things with the whip. So if you disarm someone with it you could have the weapon land at your feet instead of theirs. I can't tell you how manytimes my party's battlemaster has disarmed someone only to look shocked when they just picked the weapon up on their next turn without missing a beat. He's not very bright.
>>
>>43874465

Arcane Trickster rogue using Booming Blade with his 10ft reach, forcing the enemy to come closer and potentially getting sneak attack damage on the attack portion.

Multiclass into Paladin (or vice-versa, most likely) for fighting style and Smite.
>>
>>43874872
>Arcane Trickster rogue using Booming Blade with his 10ft reach
Unfortunately doesn't work, as Booming Blade, like Greenflame Blade, specifies an attack on a creature within 5 feet, regardless of your reach.
>>
>>43872413
>rogue is one of the most powerfu ckass in the game
AHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Yes, only monk is worst than the rogue
>>
>a quickly growing dwarven settlement close to a mine
>at night, dwarfs(black-out drunk and alone) gets attacked and gets their beards shaven, a great dwarf shame
>it is finally revealed that the town _____ is responsible

how could he do something like this, he that seemed like such a nice guy/gal/dwarf? what drove him to this?
>>
Got a player who wants to play a Lizardman, how does this look:

2 STR 1 WIS
30 ft walk
30 ft swim
+1 AC
15 minute waterbreathing

Based on the DMG lizardman sans the ridiculous +3 AC, and +1 WIS instead of -2 INT because of that lizard cunning.
>>
>>43875216
Because he's an elf.
>>
>>43872268
Why would they fight Blagothkus
>>
>>43875216
His lineage was originally from a rival dwarf settlement that was exterminated/enslaved by the existing colony.
He's a vampire's thrall
He's jealous due to his lackluster ability to grow facial hair.
>>
>>43875212
You do realize the Rogue is meant to do only a couple things (single target damage via Sneak Attack) and excel at specific skill checks (through Expertise) and nothing else?

And it does those two things pretty damn well.
>>
>>43875228
Flat +1 AC seems a bit much. No race gets anything like that other than the UA Warforged, which isn't particularly balanced anyway.

Everything else looks more or less fine, I suppose. Perhaps consider basing it off the Aquatic Heritage variant of the Half-elf from the SCAG instead?
>>
I'm gonna be playing a halfling valor bard treasure hunter for an upcoming game, anyone got ideas for a catchy treasure hunter name?
>>
>>43875000

Fuk.

Go Paladin 17/Assassin rogue 3 instead then I guess and explode up people in the first round.
>>
>>43875461
Montana Smith.
>>
>>43875561
Paladin 17 doesn't do much of anything in terms of whip use, though. And if you're just getting it for smites, you may as well go Paladin 2/Full Caster 15 for slots to burn.

That said, if you're going for first turn novas with a whip, I'd say Assassin Rogue 3/Ambuscade Ranger 1/Fighter 11 would be hilarious, especially if you blow the remaining 6 levels on a caster class somewhere in there to grab Invisibility (so as to better Surprise enemies) and one of Hunter's Mark, Divine Favor or Hex (to shit out more damage). Strictly speaking, you don't really need anything more than Dex as your primary ability score either.
>>
>>43875461
Blingo Goldfinger the Treasure Seeker
>>
>>43875747
>And if you're just getting it for smites, you may as well go Paladin 2/Full Caster 15 for slots to burn.

I don't think that works, though? The PHB specifically says paladin spell slo--

Oh. Fucking Errata. Well, that's nice to know.
>>
>>43875747
> Ambuscade Ranger 1
Stop doing this.
>>
>>43875461
Junior
>>
>>43875339
We fought Blagothkus because we were a party of idiot Barbarians and warriors. All of us had INT scores of less than 10 and my character was making demands that he wasn't really cool with.
(Being a barbarian) She sympathized that he wanted to rouse giants who had become complacent but declared that if he continued to work with the cult she would kill him then and there. Needless to say he wasn't happy.
>>
>>43874872
>>43875000
Use Cunning Action to Disengage after Booming Blade within 5ft.
>>
>>43876238

Well yeah that works but at that point you might as well use the rapier.
>>
>>43876238
This obviates the reach of the whip.
>>
>Second session of a new campaign
>New DM
>None of the players have been playing for over a year
>Our LG Dwarf Paladin with noble background keeps going into detail about shit like what he's wearing and how he's flexing his muscles
>complains for 10 minutes that 1 silver is too much for a meal
>argues with the DM about our fighter being given a free 6+ on his hit die during a short rest
>Storms out after everything but table flipping
How do we deal with this guy?
He uses up 3-4 players worth of time even when he isn't arguing with the DM and he has no interaction with any character other than his own unless specifically prompted
How do we tell him we don't want him around?
(He's the older brother of one of our tolerable players)
>>
>>43875228
Maybe a plus to initiative because the whole lizard brain thing
>>
File: 9000 keks.png (443KB, 655x653px) Image search: [Google]
9000 keks.png
443KB, 655x653px
>>43872413
pretty decent b8, i had a chucklesaurus
>>
>>43876472
Instead of the AC I mean
>>
>>43874127
You should fuck with the winner of that fight.

>How many dragons have you killed today?
>Do you even remember why you started fighting?
>Is this what you really wanted?
>>
>>43874872
>>43875000
>>43876264
The Spell Sniper feat makes Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade work at 10 feet (requiring a reach weapon).
Unfortunately, you need access to at least one spell before taking the feat to meet its prerequisite, but just being a high elf or forest gnome solves that if you don't want to go Arcane Trickster.
>>
>>43867568
ah yes, typical response from one of the young kingdoms
>>
No matter how I word this it sounds like a loaded question, but, from a gameplay perspective, do you prefer the races that have simple, flat bonuses to abilities (Human, Half-elf, Tiefling) or ones with more situational or niche abilities (Half-Orc crits, Minotaur horns, Shifters, Halfling occupied space movement).
>>
>>43876700
I usually play humans but outside of that I prefer races with flavorful abilities. Fire genasi being able to produce flame, water genasi being able to swim extremely well, that sort of thing. Even if they're niche and don't come up that often, I appreciate them as a real, solid part of my character.
>>
>>43876700
I sorta just chose whatever race feels best with what I am playing. However My favorite races are goliath, half elf, and Hill Dwarf.
>>
>>43876107
I think you mean Joon-yuh
>>
>>43876643
Huh. I have not noticed this interaction until now. What other spells does the feat interact similarly with?
>>
>>43867568
They hadn't invented pants that could hold balls that massive.
>>
If you have the Voice of the Chain Master, is your use of your pets senses always on?
>>
File: 154.jpg (123KB, 634x793px) Image search: [Google]
154.jpg
123KB, 634x793px
>>43876905
>>
>>43876931
And shortly after posting this, I realize an Arcana Cleric with Sword Burst and Spell Sniper can shit on everyone in 10-foot radius of him at-will, simply because of how Sword Burst is written.

How do we best develop this monstrosity?
>>
>>43877116
Well to start with, we'll read that Sword Burst doesn't contain an attack roll, and Spell Sniper doesn't apply, then we'll scrap the whole thing.
>>
>>43875228
Instead of +1 AC make base AC 12+Dex, and make it not stack with other base unarmored increases (mage armor, monk, barbarian, etc)
>>
>>43877116
Sword burst is a dex save and...
>>43877270
shit, beat me to it.
>>
>>43875212
what are the best classes?
>>
>>43877674
The best classes are the classes that have always been the best (full casters), it's just that the power difference between best and worst is much smaller.
>>
>>43877674

rangers
monks
warlocks
>>
>>43877674
Arcane cleric, vengeance Paladian, battle master fighter, abjuration / divination / bladesinger wizard, valor bard. That's what I've seen the collective agree on at least.
>>
>>43877674
Bards, Arcana and Life Clerics, Moon Druids, Divination Wizards.
>>
>>43877760
Brilliant suggestion ;^)
>>
>>43877729
>>43877805
Here you are
>>
How does /tg/ treat the mechanics of domains in an in-game sense?
>>
>>43878096
Can you clarify?
>>
>>43878192
How do you handle domains in your setting? Like, do you have it like in the books where the whole pantheon share the domains (you have like 3 different War deities)? Do you assign one deity for each domain (so you end up with 7/8/9 Gods)? Do you do one religion per domain (where a whole pantheon shares a single domain)?
>>
>>43878096
>>43878232
I handle it like this:

Clerics are called upon to higher service than other priests of their faith, and are empowered by their gods. Sometimes gods want these clerics to draw upon certain aspects of themselves more than others. Additionally, clerics may come from differing sects that revere specific aspects of their patron deity.

The end result is clerics that, in addition to drawing upon a wide variety of divine magic, they can also produce lesser manifestations of their deity's power over that aspect.
>>
/tg/, can you workshop this tradition and see if it's balanced or something? I was basically going for terraformar's monk.
>>
>>43878317
Duration on the eel paralysis?
>>
File: 1447820779274.jpg (250KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1447820779274.jpg
250KB, 600x900px
I want to make a Jester/Clown that annoys the shit out of my fellow party members. How do I optimize Arcane Trickster for this?
>>
>>43878432
FOREVER.
. joke. Until they succeed a con save.
>>
If anyone's bored want to make some pregen level 1 characters for me. preferable not to crazy but I'll be thankful for anything.
>>
>>43878556
Minor illusion and mage hand. It's all you really need.
>>
how does someone whos never played tabletop dnd before get into it and also learn concurrently learn how to dm?
>>
>>43878591
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

Scroll down.
>>
>>43878614
The D&D Starter Set is helpful, but have the Player's Handbook handy as well.
>>
>>43878556
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3J8FYKZ52w
>>
So I'm creating a new character for a party with a melee bard, ranged fiend warlock and melee death cleric, all level 1. I want to go either Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster, i.e. Fighter / Rogue for now. With these (rolled, yes) stats and that party what is best?

10 Strength
19 Dexterity
16 Constitution
18 Intelligence
15 Wisdom
12 Charisma

I'm also a High Elf and think I'll take Green-Flame Blade as my cantrip. Is Fighter 2 / TR 18 about as good so I can just worry about which to choose later?
>>
>>43879075
>People rolls shit like this
>I keep rolling arrays with a total modifier or +3 at best
Fuck my life
>>
>>43879124
>First ever roll get an 18 and a 17 with 8 as my lowest
>everything since has been shit
>>
>>43879179
Never in my life I rolled an 18 on rolled stats, never, I rolled a couple of 4s-5s though
>>
Is a tribe of barbarians made entirely of Barbarians?
>>
>>43879075
>>43879124
>>43879179
>>43879233
>rolling stats
>2015
>>
>>43879288

No, but a tribe of Barbarians is.

Read the section on the class, it spells it out clearly.
>>
>>43879339
>Doesn't roll stats
I found the minmaxer.
>>
>>43879124
>>43879179
This was a rare gem compared to other characters, my first character had +1 wis and +2 dex as a dragonborn beastmaster.

>>43879233
4-5 is really fun i think, haven't played one yet but as long as you don't take it too literally (4 int you can't speak or something) it can be make for interesting roleplaying. Preferably with a high primary stat to make it not just worse than normal though.
>>
>>43879339
>using dates to justify points of view
>anything after 2014
>>
Should I make my bard half-elf or tiefling? I kind of want thaumaturgy
>>
>>43879567
Half elf is way better.
>>
>>43879567
I'm sort of new to DnD and I ended up making a Tiefling sorcerer for kicks
what's the appeal of thaumaturgy?
>>
>>43879686
I just want more cantrips for fucking with people.
>>
>>43879719
I'd go high elf then, I'm sure you can find something more interesting on the wizard list than thaumaturgy
>>
>>43879786
If he already has Prestidigitation and Minor Illusion then i'm not sure what you mean. And those two aren't much better than Thaumaturgy, depending on the circumstances.
>>
>>43879075
Consider that a Bladesinger using those stats would have an AC of 21 with Bladesong and Mage Armor active. This is the equivalent of a Defensive Style Fighter with plate armor and shield, and is only surpassed by Barbarians that have 20s in both Con and Dex and a shield; or Bladesinging Monks, which are both terribly nonviable for how MAD they are.
>>
>>43879567
I like tiefling more for lore bard. Half elf is perfect for either archetype. Half elf is a stupid strong race and I love it.
>>
>>43879846
What about Mage Hand?

There surely can't be many situations where you'd absolutely need to use Thaumaturgy when you have Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion and Mage Hand at your disposal.
>>
>>43879916
Better AC than any fighter, till they get full plate.
>>
>>43879719
If that's your priority, why not go Variant Human with Magic Initiate?
>>
>>43880076
No variant human allowed.
>>
>>43879916
If I started the character from 2nd level or higher that could make sense, but just a wizard since we're starting at first doesn't really fit. So it's either full EK, AT with Fighter dip, or pure TR. Haven't played either class so not sure what is good in that party.
>>
>>43880211
What a sad thought.
>>
>>43880244
AT = TR, not sure which abbreviation is most commondly used.
>>
I want to know if I am a thatguy.

I am playing a LE rogue/fighter in a party of good characters. I am a half-orc that views the rest of the party as my family and I am fiercely protective of them. When I am around them I don't do any overtly evil acts however I do sneak off on my own and extract vengeance against anyone who tried to cheat me or my friends.
>>
>>43880762
You sound like a total bro, not like a That Guy at all. So long as you don't fuck over the good guy's plans for the sake of being evil and keep being buddy-buddy protective it sounds fine.
>>
>>43880762
Nah, your character sounds more like the obligatory party dick, but you're definitely not that guy. Solid work, anon.
>>
>>43880843
>>43881075
I was worried because of the whole "evil person doing evil behind the good parties back"

I wont ever fuck with them because my character is totally devoted to his friends. He had a life of getting beat down and they are the first ones to give him a hand. He was skeptical at first but when he realized they really cared the became devoted to them.

Currently the worst thing he has done is when a thieves guild targeted the party he caught wind of it and warned them not to get involved. They tried and failed (thanks to me warning the party). When the thieves ran the party declined to chase them. Later I tracked them down and killed them on my own during downtime. I also may or may not have stolen a few spell scrolls for the wizard to add to his spellbook but you cant prove anything.
>>
File: dnd4e_deities.jpg (169KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dnd4e_deities.jpg
169KB, 1000x1000px
today I listened to potlbat's podcast on Deities and it got me thinking, "What the hell are all these gods in 5e for anyway, and how should I utilize them in my campaigns?" They offer some good suggestions, but one of the ones I was thinking of is Anansi from Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, where Anansi is the trickster god (like Loki minus the fangs), and he just fucks with everything because he's incredibly selfish. Thoughts on this? I would like some good recomendations too.

tl;dr: just want to get gods more involved in my setting

the podcast, if you're curious http://www.madadventurers.com/potelbat-ep-113-oh-my-gods/
>>
How much utility could I squeeze out of the EK spell list.
>>
>>43882082
Find familiar, shield, haste, and blur are all really good spells you could pick up for combat utility. Find familiar is also good for rp. Lightning lure can drag your enemies into your melee range.
>>
>>43881724
Depends on how you want to do things.

I'm a lazy piece of shit and I ended up making a campaign based all around real old lore gods, and how they run the world from different regions. I added a minor mechanic called devotion points, and I ended up treating the points as just like gaining favor with a faction. The more they do things that the god would want to do themselves in the world, the more favor they get. Then I end up making a custom loot table based on certain thresholds that would fit in the theme of the god, and giving the player minor traits.

One of my PCs has the ability to talk to mummies, another to sense apples, and then last shines when doing a good deed. This is only level 1 shit, but in the end becoming a prophet or an exalted member for that god would give you something actually useful in combat along with flavor weapons and items.

My end game is going to be these guys go around summoning gods in physical manifestations and killing them. I think it's pretty cool to say you killed a god at 20th level with weapons from other gods.

But I mean you could do anything with religions. Really depends on how involved you want them in the settings, like in the modern world, I'd say they play a very minor to moderate world. The world isn't run by religion, people do crazy shit for religion, but it isn't really the biggest topic or threat in the world.
>>
I have a question, I've been learning 5e and I'm still overwhelmed a bit. I've had experience in other systems and stuff but I just went head first into 5E because my friends who are new wanted to do a system they were minorly familiar with due to the adventure league shit. With that said, I have zero clue how physical classes work and because of this I'm trying to figure out how to give my players loot to help with the power curve when the difficulty goes up. I thumbed through the player handbook, saw some shop tables for generic weapons, and I really didn't see anything really powerful for players to work up to. Do physical classes get abilities that give them multiple attacks per action or do I need to generate weapons that deal more damage through magical enchantments and other bullshit?
>>
>>43882635
Martial's get more attacks, starting at Lv 5. They also get more stat boost than other classes.
>>
>>43882635
Have you tried reading the rulebooks holy shit
>>
>>43882635
Fighters get more attacks as they level up, to a maximum of 4 per action, plus action surge, which can let them take two actions in a round.

Every other Martial (except rogues) or Half-caster class gets a 2nd attack per action at level 5, and has an additional class feature or spells that add bonus damage on a hit. For Rogues, that's Sneak Attack. Paladins get Divine Smite. Monks get flurry of blows. Rangers get spells like Hunter's Mark, and other abilities depending on their Archetype.
>>
>>43882635
Fifth edition martials, or physical classes, do indeed for the most part have built in damage mechanics. Fighters, rangers, barbarians, monks, and paladins all get at least 1 extra attack. Rogues get increasing sneak attack damage. Monks get increasing damage, paladins have smiting, rangers have free attacks or damage, barbarians have damage increase while raging, and do increased critical damage, and fighters get mire attacks than anyone else.
>>
First time playing 5e, what should I put my level 3 bard expertise into?
>>
>>43882789
And of course Barbarians get Rage.
>>
>>43881117
Doing evil things behind the party's back doesn't make you an ass, doing things like stealing from them or working against the party will make you an ass.
>>
Just a quick clarification: with critical damage do you just roll your weapon die twice or do you roll any bonus dice as well? Playing with the rogue here.
>>
>>43882788
Yeah, I'm reading three at the same time, trying to learn 5E a week before my friends throw this system at me saying 'We played adventures and we know you played table tops! Why don't you DM for us!'

I played with a bunch of guys who played pathfinder into the ground and ended up playing homebrews/indie systems so I have a slight clue on how these things work, but I can't memorize everything while trying to make a campaign. I have to spend enough time in prep outside of work that I don't have enough to learn all the classes and all the nit picky shit. I'd love it if I had enough time to read the books thoroughly but I didn't get that luxury, that's why I'm asking this so I can get a straight answer without spending a few hours memorizing all the classes and their level benefits.

But thank you everyone for the answers. That clears up things a lot.
>>
>>43882893
XdY + Z becomes (2X)dY + Z for all damage rolls on a crit attack, including sneak attack, magic ranged, magic weapon damage, etc

Level 20 rogue that crits on a sneak attack gets 20d6 instead of 10d6
>>
Is Absorb Elements a worthwhile spell for a melee caster?
>>
File: 1442183280278.jpg (44KB, 500x550px) Image search: [Google]
1442183280278.jpg
44KB, 500x550px
>>43872023
I used Kobold Fight Club (still do, actually) for a long time, I thought I had the same issue as you. Turns out, the actual stats for CR calculation in 5e seem to have this problem inherently, where encounters seem easier than their rating. Also, sometimes the party just roll really well, not much you can do about that.

Something I tried was 'neutral' combatants, which fight against both the PCs AND the other creatures. e.g an Owlbear shows up in the middle of a forest ambush, starts fucking up EVERYONE's shit.
Using this, you (as DM) can fine-tune the challenge of the encounter by having the owlbear attacking either the enemies or PCs.

But be prepared to fudge rolls.
>>
>>43871927
my party has a drow rogue assassin who has been pissing and moaning that his rogue is too weak. (he comes from 3.5).

He's trying to play it as a support fighter. i do the heavy fightin while he backstabs constantly because the enemy focuses on me...
>>
>>43881117
Nah. Last character in played was a neutral evil drow assassin who's interests lied in conjunction with the parties'. Whenever they were floundering for information or needed shit done I went behind their back to bust in heads, take names and generally be an evil shit in order to get whatever items/info we needed.
Basically if you never fuck your party over, but instead help them in ways they can't help themselves then you're doing evil right.
>>
>>43883041
How many people are in your party and how many rests are you letting them have, both short and long?
>>
I need some advice, /5eg/.

I'm making a Witch Hunter for my friend's campaign. We're starting at 5th level and I don't know which order seems the most fun. I've narrowed it down to Ghostslayer and Mutant. Ghostslayer does a shitload of damage but doesn't have as much to it. Mutant has all the cool mutagens, but I don't know which ones are useful besides the one that increases strength. Any advice?
>>
>>43883246

I asked for some help with a level 8 Mutant Witch Hunter earlier and haven't gotten help. Fingers crossed?
>>
>>43883020
Right. Thanks.
>>
>>43883096
Why's he bitching? Rogues in 3.5 were probably weaker there than they are in 5e. I mean, he's getting Sneak Attack die nearly every round because an ally is 5 ft. from the thing he's trying to hit.

The only thing that Rogue lost was Use Magic Device, and that's just because they consolidated down how magic items work in 5e so that everyone can use them.
>>
>>43883246
>>43883288
Witch hunters? Mutants? Which source is that in?
>>
>>43880762
Sounds like you've handled an inter-party-alignment-conflict rather well. Better than most on /tg/ would.
>>
>>43883246
>>43883288
Give me an hour to read through the class and I'll give you my impressions of how to build a Witch Hunter.
>>
>>43883451
Link related, it is the custom class Matt Mercer brewed up for Vin Diesel when they did a small bit of promotional work for his latest movie (named 'The Last Witch Hunter').

http://geekandsundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Witch-Hunter-Class-FINAL-4.2.pdf
>>
File: 1434443513073.jpg (69KB, 786x558px) Image search: [Google]
1434443513073.jpg
69KB, 786x558px
>>43880762
Can't believe I hadn't thought of the evil character viewing the good party 'like family' before. It explains it well, and every family has a black sheep.
>>
>>43881117
That seems fine, bro. I guess the trick is playing Good Cop Bad Cop
You and the good cop work together fine, you just aren't afraid to get your hands dirty.
>>
>>43883493
You're too sweet, anon.
>>
>>43883493
Thanks, based Anon.
>>
>>43883519
Man I love Vin Diesel.
>>
>>43883191
Four players. Usually a rest every few encounters, like 2 or 3.
Most often they're short, but after a bigger encounter like the one I mentioned, they'd try take a long rest.
They've only just learned to post someone on watch during sleep, adorable bastards.
>>
>>43880762
>>43881117
This seems like such a cool concept I wanna steal it someday. An evil character who loves the fuck out of the people around him and kicks the shit out of those who try to harm them in any way sounds fun as hell to play.
>>
>>43882833
Depends on what you wanna do. If you want to be the face go for some Cha skill like deception or persuasion. Maybe you wanna be sneaky, go for stealth. Or if you want to be a better book nerd than the wizard, go for arcana. It's all up to how you want your bard to go, since he can be played basically any way.
>>
>>43883785
I was thinking insight and perception. Nothing goes over my head, my reflexes are too fast, I would catch it.
>>
How much of my character's backstory/motivation should the DM know? Can I say they're searching for X without saying why they want it?
>>
>>43883955
I'd imagine all of it. Dunno why you'd keep a secret from your DM.
>>
>>43883955
Just tell your DM. If you surprise him some unexpected bullshit, he has to suddenly develop this other facet of the campaign.
IF YOU CAN'T TELL YOUR DM THEN IT MIGHT BE TERRIBLE AND YOU SHOULD CONSIDER NOT DOING IT
>>
>>43884113
>>43884058
I was going to have the favour of admirer from my entertainer background be the character's love polymorphed into an object. That's why he's either seeking to expand his own knowledge enough to learn true polymorph or he's trying to find a wizard who can do it for him. Is that bad fluff?
>>
>>43884176
The idea has potential, but imagine just springing that on the DM after finding it -- he suddenly has to think up everything necessary to portray this random character outta nowhere.
I know, DMs do that all the time, but trust me, just tell your DM.
But don't tell the other players
>>
>>43884176
That's perfectly fine. Just tell your DM but don't tell the other players. There's not too much of a reason of hiding something from the DM. After all, he's the one who is EVERYTHING but the players.
>>
>>43884238
>>43884297
Alright, I'm not sure if it would ever actually come up in the campaign so wasn't sure if it was worth expanding on.
>>
>>43884309
Always tell the DM if the concept is that important to your character, he'll make it come up.
>>
>>43884309
DMs rely on that shit, bruh. A good DM will work it in, or at least make it relevant, somehow. Even if it extends beyond the current campaign.
>>
So I'm delving into D&D for the first time and I'm going to try to DM. All of the books arrive tomorrow and I plan on reading through all of them next week. How fucked am I and how long does it take to become competent?
>>
>>43884498
Really, it isn't all that bad. the core rules of 5th edition are pretty easy, especially comparing them to the older editions. The act of DMing itself can be harder for some people. I'd say the hardest part is building encounters and (for some, not all) actually dming. I'd say it's gonna take a couple of days. But, like any system, make a character and do some example fights or something.
>>
>>43884498
Are you new to TTRPGs in general or just new to D&D?
I recommend watching people play a campaign. There's plenty on YouTube, one in particular good for beginners. Pretty much everything is in the books, it just helps to see it in action.
>>
>>43884498
Have the people you're gonna DM played before, D&D or RPG's in general?
If so then it'll be a bit rocky but you'll be able to pull through
If not I wouldn't recommend it
>>
File: 1447631928924.png (91KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1447631928924.png
91KB, 800x600px
>>43884498
Mainly its setting up plothooks and hoping your players take the bait, which in if itself can lead to the argument of sandbox vs. linear or Free Will vs. Determinism.
>>
>>43884596
I did the D&D Starter Set for 3.5, and beyond that I've played things like Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill, etc. I've been watching Critical Role, but I'm not sure if that's a good judge of a standard game.

>>43884610
One of the players has played D&D before but has not DM'd. We're going to start with the Starter Set to get everyone acquainted.

>>43884589
I hadn't thought of test battles, but that's a great idea. Thanks!
>>
>>43884679
that one pixel is killing me
>>
>>43884694
Critical Role is good and all, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it as something to watch to get an idea of how your game will go. It would be setting an unrealistic expectation of how your players will roleplay. Your group will likely be much less hectic as well since there will presumably be less PCs. It's great to watch to learn some dramatic flair as a GM though. Matt does a great job on that front.

Lost Mines of Phandelver, the module included in the starter set, is a really good adventure and it's designed to give new players and GMs an easier but rewarding experience.
>>
>>43883246
Honestly I suppose it all comes down to (as usual) what you want out of the character, but I think I favor the Ghostslayer. Mutagen is great, I really like it, but will probably take extra effort to use effectively - but if they're playing the character well it probably won't be a problem.

Ghostslayer
>In combination with Supernal Riposte can get great position on the battlefield without having to disengage and getting to make counter attacks while doing so - won't have to worry about taking those AoO as much when moving so your caster can actually utilize their aoe spells.
>After 2nd level (hell even during 1st, though probably a bit more dangerous) you'll probably always be using your Bloodrite regardless of what order you'll be picking so this will definitely make the most of it.
>You get a restrain that works on nearly everything, a hell of a lot of applications with this.
>Having the ability to see through magical darkness and invisible objects/creatures is pretty nice.

>Yeah I agree, Ghostslayer is boring - certainly not going to get a lot of cool effects out of it. But it looks like you get shit done.
>If you're more interested in relying on ranged weapons this order is a bit less useful since it will conflict with Supernal Riposte.

Mutagen
>You're probably going to have the best time against foes you have time to prepare for and at 15 even if you can't prepare the best option, during the boss fights you're still getting a big free boost.
>With the mutagens and the features you're probably going to end up as a tank. Immunity to poison and fear, advantages on charm and that sweet boost to Con.

>If you use your mutagens too early you'll probably feel a bit vulnerable.
>You won't be ignoring the effects of a mutagen for awhile and since you can only make 1 of each type you might use one at the wrong time. Also there is that double edged sword of all those side effects.

Profane Soul kind of sucks.
>>
>>43883621
>>43883649
Going to talk about Ghostslayer archetype first. For this one I'd recommend using ranged weapons and plunking foes from a distance with your consistent damage from a weapon like a longbow combined with your Blood Rite die and added radiant damage from the Cleansing Rite. Look into taking the Sharpshooter feat to help augment your damage at higher levels. I'd recommend maxing Dexterity first, then Wisdom, then getting your Constitution as high as possible.

If you want to go melee with Ghostslayer, then focus on having as high a Strength and Constitution as possible, only putting enough points into Wisdom to let you use the Rite of Binding more than once a day. You'll be a bit MAD too, because your AC will be kind of low unless you can somehow get a decent Dex. score as well. That's why I recommend the ranged option for Ghostslayer.

For the Mutagens figure out if you're going to be a ranged or melee Hunter and pick ones that will benefit you the most. So for ranged I'd recommend Celerity, Mobility, and Nighteye first. Precision at 7th, Mobility at 10th, Reconstruction at 13th, Cruelty at 15th, and Wariness at 20th, but if you know your campaign or area will have a focus on a particular type of weapon damage or in a potentially inhospitable area then swap out Nighteye for one of the resistance type mutagens. Max out Dexterity and Constitution, putting just enough points into Wisdom so it is at a +1 at least. Again, look into getting Sharpshooter to maximize your damage every round.

For a melee mutagen Hunter, I'd recommend Potency, Wariness, and one of the 3 physical damage resistance types (I prefer slashing > bludgeoning > piercing, but pick as is needed for your campaign). For 7th go with Reconstruction, grabbing Precision at 10th level. At 13th take Cruelty, Mobility at 15th, and whatever you want at 20th. Max out Strength and Constitution, making sure your Dexterity is at least a +1 modifier before taking any mutagens.
>>
>>43884810
And video recommendations that are more comparable?
>>
>>43884917
For either mutagen build (ranged or melee) I would recommend choosing to ignore the side effect of Cruelty once you hit 15th level, as having disadvantage on all saving throws is a pretty big negative compared to everything else. And for a melee mutagen Hunter pick up Great Weapon Master for added damage in higher levels.

You're going to be looking to nova people once you imbue Precision (and definitely if you take Cruelty pre-15), so look to your party to give you advantage whenever they can so you can crit as often as possible.
>>
>>43866872

>Elric

thanks OP
>>
>>43876430
>buddy look, if you dont stop whining you are going to need to find another group.

he continues acting like a douche nozzle

>look buddy we warned you, time for you to leave.

its that simple.
>>
>>43885299
>>
Where can I find a list of AL treasures that go with each module? I'm trying to find a belt of giant strength and bracers of defense.
>>
>>43879075
Can anyone give any advice here? Most important is if Arcane Trickster suffers a lot from taking 2 fighter levels at the start.
>>
>>43885830

Why the fighter levels?
>>
>>43885892
I'm not sure if it's best to go Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight and if it's ok to go the fighter levels first for AT then I can make that decision later when I know the character better. Haven't played either class so I'm not sure what fits the abilities/party the best.
>>
Have you ever had a non-standard familiar?
>>
>>43885963
If I make a GOO Warlock I am definitely asking my dm for a Flumph familiar.
>>
File: ss (2015-11-29 at 06.38.13).png (7KB, 254x275px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-11-29 at 06.38.13).png
7KB, 254x275px
What am I supposed to be putting into this part of the character sheet? There's already another section for spells and I don't have any special attacks that I know of so I'm not sure what's supposed to be here.
>>
>>43886066
Basically a shortcut to your simple attack spells like cantrips and such.
>>
>>43886066
If you use a rapier, for example, and your to hit bonus (proficiency + attack stat) is +6, for instance, you'd put Rapier under name, +6 under attack bonus, and 1d8+4 piercing under damage.

Same thing for any spells that have an attack roll that you want to put there.
>>
>>43886405
Oh ok, cheers.
>>
>>43885789
Google it. Eventually you will find it.

I understand why you would want to do this but I don't approve. Just saying.
>>
File: 1437438023489.jpg (59KB, 506x506px) Image search: [Google]
1437438023489.jpg
59KB, 506x506px
>>43884498
Deep down, all characters want to die a glorious death and you must deliver it. Never tell your players you won't kill them. If you do, they'll start playing like dumb asses, all the tension will lost and they'll bitch any time you do kill one of their "OC do not steal" Mary Sues.
Tell them you're going to murder the shit outta them and to make more than one character, once they survive, make it seem like dice gods intervened and they're super pros.

Humor needs context, don't laugh at or enable squee characters who do chaotic things all the time for shits and giggles, just fucking kill them. Goobers are cancer in groups, the more you laugh or snicker the more cancerous they'll become; before you know it, they'll derail the entire campaign.

What is obvious or a trope to you, isn't for everyone else. Don't overthink your roleplaying, you're not writing a novel.

If there are no bad consequences for failure, no die roll is necessary. Your players won't invite you to waffle house post game, if make them roll dozens of spot checks to find the secret door.

Get good at theater of mind.
>>
File: header.jpg (71KB, 465x266px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
71KB, 465x266px
help me build him
>>
>>43886642
Rogue/Sorcerer with some custom spells
>>
>>43886629
I'll second everything this guy says, and point out that

>Don't overthink your roleplaying, you're not writing a novel.

should be something you tell your players too. Their characters are here to develop and grow during the campaign, a novella of backstory is unnecessary and will end up mostly irrelevant.
>>
Hey, are there any general guidelines for converting pathfinder classed into 5e? Especially interested in the summoner.
>>
>>43887839
>PF classes in 5e
>PF summoners in 5e
Why would you do something like that?
>>
File: 784785cdb6658056e474442c14e76bad.jpg (537KB, 736x1143px) Image search: [Google]
784785cdb6658056e474442c14e76bad.jpg
537KB, 736x1143px
>>43887905
>>
File: PFclasses.jpg (127KB, 945x1291px) Image search: [Google]
PFclasses.jpg
127KB, 945x1291px
>>43887905
I'd be impressed if someone did.
>>
So I'm pretty new and I've been wondering about the function differences between wizards and sorcerers. I understand the fluff that the wizard studied to become that good and sorcs were born that good, but how are they mechanically different as casters?
>>
>>43888208
Wizards have to decide which spells they want to use at the start of the day where as sorcerers have a much smaller list (max 15) that they can cast from at any time
>>
File: zire.jpg (124KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
zire.jpg
124KB, 533x800px
>>43888208
Sorcerers have a smaller pool of spells known but can cast any spell they know. Wizards have a larger pool of spells known and can actually spend gold to scribe a wizard spell scroll into their spellbook to know that spell, but they can only prepare so many spells per day.

Also, sorcerers get a point poll that can be funneled into more spell slots or can be used to power their metamagic feature, and they can be of draconic heritage and get some wicked natural ac and a small hp boost. Wizards get a spell recharge ability once per day during a short rest and have a mass of schools they can chose to train under (but can only chose to train under 1). At late levels, they can chose 1 spell from their first and second level spell list and can cast those spells at will.

That should cover everything of importance.
>>
Running RoT with a group of players that are almost all new to DnD and all new to the Forgotten Realms. A lot of the story in RoT seems to rely on previous knowledge of the FG (who the wizards of Thay are, etc) and I've been working on foreshadowing some of the coming chapters by adding in encounters and stuff with some of those characters.

Anyways, the problem is that my group will be taking a month off for winter vacation, so I don't want to start them on a new chapter or drop a bunch of adventure hooks (ie another council of Waterdeep). Anyone got any fun things that my PCs could do in Waterdeep that might also help build the world for them a bit?
>>
>>43888208
Thematically Wizards have to learn and practice all of their magic and sorcerers is have it naturally, so of course mechanically wizards get more magic uses per day with rituals, more spells prepared, and extra effects from their school, and sorcerers can determine how much are their limited uses of magic they want to put into any given round. Wizards specialize in one brand of magic and sorcerers can nova however they choose.
>>
If i'm a warlock with Voice of the Chain Master, do I need the Devil Sight invocation to see in the dark, or can I just use my imp buddy's senses?
>>
>>43888832
>Thematically
He said mechanically, you chump.

>>43888208
Wizards get more slots and a larger spell selection (the largest of any Class). They also use prepared spells and can cast certain spells as rituals, forgoing the cost of a spell slot in exchange for a longer casting time.

Sorcerers do not have to maintain a prepared spell list: anything they know, they can cast (what the player base refers to as "spontaneous casting"). The list of spells available is shorter, and you don't get as many slots. Sorcerers also get Sorcery Points, which can be used to purchase additional spell slots (or vise-versa), or used to feed your Metamagic feature.

I usually do not recommend Wizard to newer players, as you have a lot more paperwork to do. If you're OK with that, I hope you have a blast.
>>
>>43889450
Voice of the Chain Master just says you can see with the senses, there's no action requirement like the default find familiar spell has. Your DM might give you some sort of penalty for using eyes not physically located in your skull however.

It seems like a neat dip to play a "blind" swordsman...
>>
>>43889573
I thought it just let you see further, it didn't say anything about no longer requiring an action did it?
>>
>>43889665
There's some argument that since it doesn't say it still requires an action, it no longer does. The reverse of that is obviously what you just said.
>>
>>43889790

The phrase from Crawford is "powers do what they say they do, they don't do what they don't say they do". So unless it specifies it NO longer requires an action there is no reason to think that requirement has changed.
>>
>>43889665
>>43889790
Exactly. Unlike the Pact of the Chain feature section, Voice of the Chain Master makes no reference to the find familiar spell. Given the wording of Devil's Sight ("You can see normally in darkness") and VotCM ("You can communicate telepathically with your familiar
and perceive through your familiar’s senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence.") are functionally identical, it is just a thing you can do, without timing limitations.
>>
>>43889846
You left off the best part though
>Additionally, while perceiving through your familiar's senses, you can also speak through your familiar in your own voice, even if your familiar is normally incapable of speech.

That makes it sound like you aren't always perceiving through your familiar's senses. Surely you didn't intentionally leave out the sentence that proves your interpretation bunk.
>>
Coming up with names for your homebrew world. How do?
>>
>>43890313
you could always take "Earth" translate it into another language and then rearrange some letters
>>
Say we have 3x skeleton, 3x zombie, 3x mummy encounter.

How many should one toss at players in a day?

No rests.

Disclaimer: I know it is a silly question. But I am shaping up a module, so ...

thanks
>>
>>43890413
1, 2, all. You didn't tell us what level the party is.
>>
>>43890413
herp a derp. Group of four players, level 7.
>>
>>43890047
Not always perceiving through your familiar's senses =/= needing an action to switch over for a turn. As Crawford says, powers do what they say they do, and the Voice of the Chain Master invocation says you can perceive through your familiar's senses. The implication that you aren't always doing so in the last sentence is not definitive, and in either case does not specify an alternative.
>>
>>43889527
>(what the player base refers to as "spontaneous casting")
That's actually an official term used in 3.5.
>>
>>43890555
It doesn't say that it changes anything about find familiar in anyway except that you can perceie through the senses on the plane, instead of within a mile. Saying otherwise is implying things that aren't written.
As Crawford say "Powers do what they say they do, and don't do what they don't say they do" Since it doesn't say "Changing sense now doesn't require any actions," there's no implication that it doesn't have that requirement.

You do know that Pact of the Chain gives you the Find Familiar spell, right? And that's where the sense thing comes from, right?
>>
>>43890313
Whatever the local language's world for earth is. (This will have of course require you to first create that language.)

Or something that references the unique cosmology, or the cosmology believed to exist.
For instance, middle-earth comes from midgard, more literally translated as middle-garden, which in norse mythology is a reference to the belief that the land inhabited by mortals has a great big wall around it, separating it from the land of the giants outside, utgard.
>>
File: homebrew classes.gif (7MB, 853x459px) Image search: [Google]
homebrew classes.gif
7MB, 853x459px
Friend is starting up a new campaign, with a very nautical bent to it. I want to be a swashbuckling errol flyn/dread pirate roberts type, but I'm not sure what's mechanically better.
>Straight ranger (hunter/duelist)
>Rogue with the unearthed arcana >swashbuckler archtype,
This swasbuckler class from the wiki: https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Swashbuckler_(5e_Class)

What does /5eg/ think?
>>
>>43890646
Your not using the find familiar power to share senses, your using the new power VotCM grants you, which is a distinct capacity, just like Devil's Sight is a distinct capacity to conventional darkvision, and every at-will invocation is a distinct capacity to conventional spellcasting.

For it to work the way you say, it needs to read something like, "You can use the find familiar ability to use your familiar's senses at any range, as long as you are on the same plane of existence." VotCM does not mention the spell. Thus the ability is distinct, and as described it is an always on ability like Devil's Sight.
>>
>>43890859
No dude, you're clearly wrong. It's not a new, separate power. The invocation just enhances the abilities range and lets you talk. That is what it says it does. If it was meant to take away the action requirement it would say that. It doesn't. Hell, the name alone makes it pretty clear that the talking is the main point of the invocation.
>>
>>43890825

The Swashbuckler has seen official release in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. I would suggest Rogue/Fighter multiclass for Errol Flynn. Expertise in Acrobatics and Persuasion, don't be shy about swinging from things.
>>
>>43890859

The VotCM also doesn't say that it deals 2d6 fire damage whenever it is used, hence, I should be able to deal 2d6 fire damage when I use the feature.
>>
>>43891003
VotCM doesn't mention the find familiar power. What is says it does is "perceive through your familiar’s senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence."

Hypothetically, if a Warlock with this invocation had acquired a pseudodragon variant familiar, do you think the invocation would apply?
>>
Say we have 3x skeleton, 3x zombie, 3x mummy encounter.

How many should one toss at players in a day?

No rests.

Disclaimer: I know it is a silly question(different gropus). But I am shaping up a module, so ...

Group of four players, level 7.
>>
>>43891003
Just so you know >>43890859 is right, the invocation doesn't even mention the spell, just that you need to have a familiar, and since you don't have to cast the spell every turn your familiar needs to continue existing, it doesn't NEED to key directly off the find familiar spell.
>>
>>43891157
No, the opposite. It doesn't say you deal fire damage, so you don't. It does say you share senses, so you do.
>>
So my GM is going to switch games soon to a Forgotten Realms game starting on the Sword Coast, and eventually moving to either Moon Shae or to Al-Qadim.

He's told us he'd be willing to update elements of 2nd edition FR stuff to 5th, or if we found a decent conversion he'd vet it.

While looking around google, I found file attached, I'm keen on playing a necromancer from Jakandor (less 'Grimderp R. McEdge the VI, Esq.'), and the Animancer sort of looks like it fits the bill.

My question, how unbalanced/broken/unplayable is the class at first glance? My only real frames of reference for RPGs are Runequest and a little 2e as a player.
>>
>>43891374
Seems needlessly complex for a casting class, and also fails to specify how its spellcasting feature works, though the rest of the document implies it uses bard/sorcerer style casting.
>>
>>43866872
How can you cure lycantropy?
Are all 3rd level paladins immune to it?
>>
Our Paladin wants to know if you can use Misty step with the horse summoned through Find steed; teleporting both the horse and its rider?
>>
>>43892086
Yes, provided you are riding the horse.
>>
>>43892124
thanks
>>
>>43892018
Cast remove curse on it. Natural-born lycanthropes require wish to get rid of it, though.
>>
>>43892177
What happens to those casters of wish who use that sort of power and lose the ability to cast it ever again? What's the emotional response to that loss of power?
>>
>>43892265
same reaction as the player, pissssssssed and sad about losing such awesome power.
>>
>>43892177
Any way to cure the twins from OotA or make them not-dangerous to be around?
>>
>>43891259
And it says WHILE you are sharing senses. Which would suggest there's times when you won't be sharing senses. Given that it requires you to take the Pact of the Chain, which gives you the rules for your familiar via the Find Familiar spell, it pretty clearly operates within those parameters and it never makes any change to what action you need to perceive through the familiar's senses.
>>
Can a guy who has been following his wife's murderer for half the globe a Barbarian? or is being a Barbarian more than tap into the rage dimension for moar power?
>>
>>43892403
Remove Curse. They weren't born wererats.
>>
>>43866872
Finally found the Waifu blade in OotA. The paladin got it, though. Can I expect to find other cool magic items soon?
The fireball necklace is awesome, but I dont feel so safe with expandable stuff.
>>
>>43892419
I'm not sure I understand the question. Ask your DM about how you want to fluff your class abilities I guess.
>>
>>43892428
No one in the party can cast that, we are still heading for the black lake.
>>
>>43892433
There's a fair few cool magic items floating around, though not a huge number. What class are you playing?
>>
>>43892177
Thanks anon!
>>
>>43892456
Well then get ready to deal with wererats somehow. Fortunately they try and get away from you before they transform so the worst that'll probably happen is they wander off into the underdark and you never see them again.
>>
>>43892460
Sorcerer.
>>
File: Fuckingmearls.png (26KB, 511x327px) Image search: [Google]
Fuckingmearls.png
26KB, 511x327px
Sometimes I feel like Mearls really just wants to be playing Dungeon World.
>>
>>43892558
Well there isn't a great deal for you I'm afraid unless your DM throws you a bone.
>>
>>43877674
Lore Bard hands down is the games strongest class.
The Paladin/Warlock multiclass is also stupidly good.
>>
>>43879075
Since your dex and int are both high, go arcane trickster for gfb spam, also get expertise in perception and persuasion, they'll be high with the decent scores in wis and cha.
>>
>>43892406
One conclusion requires only what is written. The other requires referencing an implied omission that necessitates linking to a requirement and a clause contained within an associated feature. I will adhere to the simplest interpretation.

>Hypothetically, if a Warlock with this invocation had acquired a pseudodragon variant familiar, do you think the invocation would apply?
>>
>>43877674
For single target wailing on a dude? Battlemaster Fighter. Maybe Thief/Assassin Rogue but maybe not.

For spellcasting? Wizard.

For ability to do everything? Bard.

For tanking? Barbarian or Moon Druid.
>>
>>43892684
You mean the interpretation that makes no sense in context?

And no, it wouldn't apply to a Warlock with a variant familiar. Otherwise it would be available to all Warlocks. Besides, a variant rule is optional and totally irrelevant for discussing how a class feature based on actual rules works.
>>
>>43887918
To be fair, most of those are third party, and only about half of those third party classes are any good at all.
>>
>>43892684
>One conclusion requires only what is written

So my T-Rex companion is cool with you right? After all it only requires what's written in the text. Oh, and while I'm at it the Bladelock can bond a magical ranged weapon and the Superhorse is in right?
>>
>>43891205

The zombies/skellies will in all likelihood act as meatshields, probably by your design and most likely they won't even get to act if your players have even the slightest of their shits together.

With that in mind, I wouldn't account for them within the adjusted XP value, only basing it on the mummies. which would leave the adjusted xp at 4200, or 1050 for each party member.

Page 84 on the DMG shows the recommended adjusted xp per day per character at level 7 to be 5000, with them resting after the first 1/3rd of the day aswell as the 2/3rd of the day.

With that in mind, they should be able to handle atleast 2 of these encounters without rest. You could probably do a third but that might be pushing it when they'll probably have to waste spell slots to remove the mummy rot aswell as handling their lowered max HP.
>>
>>43892460
Rogue.
Outlander background, bacause somebody had to get the survival skill.
>>
>>43892479
=(
B-but I want to heeeeelp!
>>
>>43893114
Oh man, how many of you are starving? We've kept afloat because of a Ranger with the adventure-specific background feature letting him scavenge up enough food for 10, and then some help from Goodberry.
>>
Two more days until the new Unearthed Arcana article. Who, besides me, is expecting another shit ranger variant?
>>
>>43893243
We're not having to worry about food so much, because we can stay without it for 3 days +CONmod, so its easy to manage what we find... we are having a LOT of trouble with water, though, since it gives you exaustion level if you dont drink 1 gallon per day (which is a lot, imo). 2 levels of exaustion halves your speed, which gives an advantage to the drow behind you.
We have to do some really good management, which sometimes is not enough, since exaustion builds up really fast.
Shit is brutal, yo!
>>
>>43893349
>OotA
>no cleric, no ranger with underdark enviroment
Your party is either crazy or has the biggest balls I've seen in a while.
>>
>>43893304
Im expecting some new Geanie path for Sorcerers, a new "magic" monk, that replaces wot4e, somewhat, elemental domain cleric, new elemental masters for warlocks and maybe a ranger with skirmish and more terrain control skills.
I would be happy with any of those, but I bet we are getting some 5 level test-class again or some shit, since the last UA was good. (for UA standards at least).
>>
>>43893526
>since the last UA was good. (for UA standards at least).

You mean phoned in and awful? UA haven't been anything even approaching good since Waterborne.
>>
>>43893596
Yes.
>>
>>43893304
I'm expecting some sort of holiday bullshit.
>>
>>43893304
As if. You're going to get 3 paragraphs of alternate rules on how to roll for holiday spirit, and you're gonna like it.
>>
>>43893304
I'm expecting nothing and I'm still going to be disappointed.
Thread posts: 360
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.