[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would bike-riding speed scale as stats (in whatever system)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: venge.jpg (4MB, 4373x2717px) Image search: [Google]
venge.jpg
4MB, 4373x2717px
How would bike-riding speed scale as stats (in whatever system) went beyond human maximum? would it scale with strength? dex?

also bike cavalry should totally be a thing in post-apoc games, but that's kind of an aside
>>
It could scale for either on bikes with the right gears.
>>
Bike cavalry wouldn't really work (a bike makes a lousy platform to try and fight from), but bike DRAGOONS (in the original sense of "ride their mounts to get from point a to point b, dismount to fight") would be amazing.
>>
>>43816129
>Speed
Scales with runspeed, maximum distance scales with Con.

>also bike cavalry should totally be a thing in post-apoc games
Quad bike yes. Regular bike no, can't brace properly.
>>
>>43817102
I was thinking cavalry saber bike cavalry, not polearm bike cavalry

(i also wonder how practical archery would be from bike. It works for horses which are less smooth than a bike on pavement at least)
>>
>>43817664
you'd need a bike designed for handsfree use. possibly a unicycle.

the thing with horses is they'll keep running while you focus on doing something else, like shooting someone. when you're riding a bike you pretty much need to be watching where you're going the whole time.
>>
>>43816129

If you're running a "Planet Eris" style game, it would probably work based on a combo of run speed/str/quality of bike.

If you're running a serious/semi-serious campaign, this is pretty stupid. To begin with, bicycles aren't robust enough for combat...or at least one rigged for it would probably be too heavy for efficient transportation or be slow...which kind defeats the purpose. You'd also have to have ridiculous coordination to do anything fightery-like and still keep the thing going forward, let alone turn and maneuver....and if this is post-apoc, there's going to be shit all over the ground a bicycle just isn't going to be able to handle traversing.

Also also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_infantry

So, they're fine for transportation, and that's about it.
>>
>>43816129
What about bicycle chariots?
>>
>>43817870
I'm a pretty regular cyclist, and I'm pretty comfortable riding with no hands, to do stuff like eating, I've even texted once while biking (probably really dumb i know). I don't think it's out of the question, with practice.
>>
File: 5 wheel MAPRA.jpg (315KB, 1415x1169px) Image search: [Google]
5 wheel MAPRA.jpg
315KB, 1415x1169px
>>43818020
that's basically one of those pedal rickshaws isn't it?

I don't think I buy the image of cavalry charging from your bicycle. a society that can manufacture bikes should also be able to make guns or at least crossbows, so the post-apoc battlefield would end up looking a lot like the modern.

Which isn't to say that bikes won't be immensely valuable in any fuel-scarce apocalypse where we get to keep the road network. I can hardly wait!
>>
>>43818001
>shit all over the ground a bicycle just isn't going to be able to handle traversing

have you seen full-sus MTBs?
>>
>>43818120

Oh yes, I'm sure whatever assailant you run into will happily wait for you to finish negotiating your way through and over wrecked out cars, ruined structures, and deteriorated roadways...all while praying you don't fuck that up and impale yourself on rusted metal, or otherwise breaking something important that would ultimately spell your demise.

Good idea.
>>
File: Quadzilla-next-to-Normal-Guy.jpg (490KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Quadzilla-next-to-Normal-Guy.jpg
490KB, 800x800px
Preeeeeetty sure it is strength. Dex is good for handling / corners etc, but speed is totally in your legs.
>>
>>43818343
Depends on the distance
>>
>>43818282
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0oQIRIyrs

and this shit is on a road bike
>>
>>43818661

That's legit some impressive and neat shit.

Personally I like the first person view videos a little better...like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eagElg8YnZY

None of that in any way negates the point I was making whatsoever. It's still a bad idea in the context of the OP's scenario.
>>
>>43818744
yeah, the point I was trying to make was basically "bikes, given a skilled rider, are way more capable than you might think of doing CRAZY SHIT"
>>
>>43818343
jesus, that's not an edited picture, I guess?
>>
>>43818772
track is whack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4O5voOCqAQ&
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.