[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes this game so much better than chess? Everyone seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

File: BeadlesHnefatafl.jpg (298KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
BeadlesHnefatafl.jpg
298KB, 1280x960px
What makes this game so much better than chess? Everyone seems to be obsessing over it these days. How is the strategy different? General hnefatafl thread
>>
>>43751447
I thought it was Go and got excited.

What is this strange Scandinavian game?
>>
File: Go_game.jpg (217KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Go_game.jpg
217KB, 1024x768px
>>43751466
>>
File: Wrong neighborhood.png (250KB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
Wrong neighborhood.png
250KB, 400x286px
>>
>>43751466
we can make this a go thread too
>>
>>43751490
Why is this game all the rage? How does it differ from chess in the metagame?
>>
>>43751447
Who are these people and where can I meet them to play a game of tafl?
>>
File: ptsd.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
ptsd.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>43751447
>>43751466

I thought it was that weird chinese board game with the little balls that you have to jump over other balls to make them disappear until you've made all the balls but one disappear. The trick was that you usually had like 2 or 3 balls left because you were a stupid cunt and you jumped all over the place like a monkey in a fucking fruit store.
What the fuck man, how do you even jump like that in a store, that's freaking insane, not to mention that it's a board game not a store, and yo're not a monkey.

ur not a monkey right
>>
>>43751499
Do you play Tafl? Describe it to me
>>
>>43751447
Dat asymmetry
>>
File: MFW 29.jpg (153KB, 435x653px) Image search: [Google]
MFW 29.jpg
153KB, 435x653px
>>43751505
lol wut
>>
File: MFW 17.png (233KB, 379x474px) Image search: [Google]
MFW 17.png
233KB, 379x474px
>>43751520
What do you mean
>>
File: 1395268159486.png (713KB, 659x993px) Image search: [Google]
1395268159486.png
713KB, 659x993px
>>43751523
but are you a monkey or not
i mean if u are that's fine, that's cool, but i dunno if board games are the thing for you. i mean im a man but i can't even solve that fucking ball chinese game because im a stupid faggot and i tend to make the same mistakes over and overl
playing games is also about learning from mistakes but since i dont learn i keep playing the same game, which also makes it kinda cool because i have fun over and over because my memory it's so shitty that it's like experiencing the same thing as if it were the first time
you know man, if ur a monkey that's cool too, you can have fun.
you have my respect monkey man, you can do whatever you want, if someone says that you can't do what you want, i'm gonna shank that fucking son of a bitch
and probably throw the chinese board ball game at him too
do you think he can learn tho, if he does maybe we can also play with him
even if he's no monkey
>>
File: MFW 27.jpg (55KB, 549x604px) Image search: [Google]
MFW 27.jpg
55KB, 549x604px
>>43751560
>>
File: hnefatafl.jpg (146KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
hnefatafl.jpg
146KB, 500x332px
The reason everyone is obsessing over it is not that it is better than chess (though it might be, for all we know), but rather that we do not actually know the rules for how to play.

That's it. The game is old, it was found in medieval Scandinavian burials of all ages. Since we do not know how the Scandinavians played it, the game is interesting to discuss, experiment with and generally obsess over because it is an unsolved mystery. Chess presents no mystery, and thus is not as interesting.
>>
>>43751679
I mean there is a standardized set of rules that people generally play by now though right?
>>
>>43751447
What is this shitty Go bootleg? What are those fucking nigger stones doing off the intersections?
>>
>>43751693

A lot of people are using the Fetlarr rules. It's an island off the north of scotland that holds a Tafl tournament.
>>
>>43751531
I assume he's referring to the asymmetric gameplay.
>>
>>43751700
>11/21/15(Sat)02:47:08 No.43751700
>has black and white stones on a grid
>must be a go bootleg
nigger
>>
>>43751492
Okay: What makes Go better than Chess.

A search space on the order of 10^172 rather than piddling 10^52 of chess.
>>
Needs more Thud.
>>
>>43751447
Looks similar to Thud but without miniatures.
>>
>>43751490
Thud!?
>>
>>43751679
>we don't know how to read Scandinavian runes
>we don't know how to play Scandinavian games
And then people insist that asian culture is more mysterious.
>>
>>43751953
ᚹᚺᚨᛏᛖᚹᛖᚱ ᛃᛟᚢ ᛊᚨᛃ, ᚲᛁᛞ
>>
File: Runes I .jpg (122KB, 597x843px) Image search: [Google]
Runes I .jpg
122KB, 597x843px
>>43751953
>>
File: Runes II .jpg (117KB, 597x843px) Image search: [Google]
Runes II .jpg
117KB, 597x843px
>>
>>43752032
So, you just replace latin letters with runes and pretend this is how they were used. Good work, anon!
>>
>>43751512
Well, all of the pieces move orthogonally, like rooks in chess. So in that sense it is simpler. And in the variant I have always played, you capture pieces by surrounding them on either 2 or 3 sides (there are many variants). This includes the white king. The goal of the white (center) player is to move the king to one of the corners, and it is the black (outside) players goal to capture the king. It is often said that the game favors black, statistically.
>>
>>43752079
Old Norse is largely reconstructed, the sounds the runes represented are clear, go fuck yourself with the Völuspá.
>>
>>43752054
I will never understand why people ever developed right-to-left writing. Presumably it's more difficult for righties, right?
>>
>>43752193
>go fuck yourself with the Völuspá.
Gonna try. I hope she's more experienced than me.
>>
>>43752087
What? No, the defender is grossly favored in this dumb game.
>>
>>43751447
>you could improve chess
>>
>>43751447
It's not better than chess. It's more accessible, which is why casual players obsess over it. There's just too much literature and procedure and shit deveped for chess so whenever you come up with a half-baked theory and enthuse over it, some nerd's going to nasally shoot it down or explain that congratulations! you invented the French opening. Casuals don't like this, because it doesn't let them look smart and a prohibitive time investment is the exact opposite of casual play.

That said, I like hnefatafl a lot. Nine Men's Morris, too.
>>
>>43751498
>Why is this game all the rage? How does it differ from chess in the metagame?

By being a totally different game? what exactly are you trying to ask here?

It's a classic abstract strategy game anon. It's got a revival of late because it's a game that's different to chess get people interesting but still has that same rewarding in depth game play and strong legacy to it.
>>
>>43752475
>improving chess
then most people wouldnt play because its differnt, unless the change is not so huge (like current chess change that make 5fold reptiting a auto draw and 75 steps a auto draw)

Maybe could be like this

1-Every piece can capture the pawn enpassant and not just another pawns, capturing en passant means doing one of the pieces capture move to the place pawn would be if pawn moved one square instead of 2.
2-You cant leave or put your king into check, unless its the only thing you can do
2.1-You win by capture of the enemy king
3-Remove 3fold and 50step rule and leave 5 fold and 75step one
>>
>>43751953
pretty certain we don't think asia's mysterious anymore. haven't in like 200 years?
>>
>>43751447
>How is the strategy different?
How is the strategy of hearthstone different from football (American)?
>>
>>43751480
I wish we had a go club here on /tg/. 12 kyu player here from OGS/dragon.
>>
>>43751906
>complexity
The 10^172 as a opposed to the 10^52 as you mentioned.

>Elegance.
The actual basically rules of Go is quite simple compared to chess. Yet allows for great depth. Placing it in the mythical 'seconds to learn, life times to master' category.
>>
>>43752204
I read that even Arabic was designed for right-handed people, but I have no idea how's the case.
>>
>>43753527
>Attack with big guys until you win
Is it?
>>
>>43753719
>The 10^172 as a opposed to the 10^52 as you mentioned.
Which is in fact misrepresentative. In reality, it isn't all that deeper than chess. Hence the fact that standard strategies and the like exist.
>Elegance.
Oh yes, that totally subjective attribute that I would personally say is detrimental, sure.
>>
>>43752054
>Implying we understand written Etruscan
We know what it sounds like, but not what it means.
>>
>>43752204

Right to left writing usually signifies that the language existed in a written form before they started using things like paper and parchment.

If you're chiseling your writing onto a rock, the way a lot of ancient Semitic languages (which also go right to left) did, it's natural for a right handed person to hold the hammer in your right hand, the chisel in your left, and proceed right to left.
>>
>>43755165
That actually makes sense.
>>
>>43753976
>it isn't all that deeper than chess

High-end chess computer programs can offer a serious challenge to world-class masters. Nobody's ever come close to programing one that can rival a Go master - the game's too complex at that level.
>>
>>43755244
That's what I mean by "misrepresentative" -- that's not the case at all, in actual gaming terms. It's just really hard to process. It's not like Go is meaningfully deeper in terms of strategy. It just has more possibilities.
>>
File: seal of shocking truth.png (236KB, 524x524px) Image search: [Google]
seal of shocking truth.png
236KB, 524x524px
>>43752054

ELDAR LANGUAGE IS CONNECTED TO GOTHIC!?
>>
>>43755680
Well, yeah. Besides both coming from the same root, there was a great deal of linguistic (and genetic + cultural) contact between the celtic Britons and the Germanic peoples.
>>
>>43755244
Tell me, how much money and man-hours have gone into making invincible Go engines as opposed to invincible chess engines.
>>
This is my first time hearing about hentai falafel looks neat.

But why are we talking about faggot old and busted Chess and retarded weeaboo Go bullshit?
>>
>>43755395
Except it really is. It's specifically harder to process exactly because of the much wider variety and of strategies possible within the system, making it a hell of a lot deeper in terms of strategy.
>>
>>43757959
There's more moves, but not really more strategy. As I said, the very fact that strategy books and the like exist proves that. I do think it's more deep than chess, I just don't think it's *that* much deeper.

I mean, imagine I have a chess set where there's double the space and double the pieces. There's more moves available, it's harder to process, but it's not really deeper. Kind of the same with Go, thanks to its large board and place-anywhere rules.
>>
>>43751498
>in the metagame

Anon, that word. It does not mean what you think it means.
>>
>>43759773
Except there is a lot more strategy.

>As I said, the very fact that strategy books and the like exist proves that.

Except no, it really does not prove that in any way. Even moreso given that if you want to be truly diligent with it, you'll end up with lots and lots more material than for chess.

>I mean, imagine I have a chess set where there's double the space and double the pieces. There's more moves available, it's harder to process, but it's not really deeper.

Except yes, yes it is? Holy shit, the sheer amount of additional possible moves and strategies this would open up would fundamentally create a different and much, much deeper game alltogether.

It seems you have literally no idea how games such as chess or go fundamentally work and that you are quite literally trying to redefine what makes a "deep game to fit your personal pre-conceived notion of Chess being somehow deeper than Go when all actual facts and logic point to the exact opposite to be the case.

Go is a considerably deeper, more complex game and offers much more strategy than chess. Deal with it.
>>
>>43761033
>Except yes, yes it is? Holy shit, the sheer amount of additional possible moves and strategies this would open up would fundamentally create a different and much, much deeper game alltogether.
I do not think you know what "deep" means.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.