[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D - /5eg/ 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 414
Thread images: 23

File: beholder.png (626KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
beholder.png
626KB, 1000x500px
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

Old thread >>43677160

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Polite reminder to READ THE DAMN BOOKS.

Beholders are the best monsters, right? There's one on the front cover of the Monster Manual after all! Talk about the beholders that have appeared in your games.
>>
The last time I used a beholder in a game was a game of Spelljammer. I was in middle school
>>
I just recently joined a game and started with a pre-genned dex based stout halfling fighter. Now, from the background, this all fits. Criminal, lived and worked in a tavern by a harbor. Is there any major trouble I'm going to run into though? Anything I should definitely change? The DM is being lenient since I'm new.
>>
Quick question: Are there any good homebrewed Sorcerer origins based on fiends?

I'm mostly asking in an attempt to justify a sorclock as easily as possible
>>
>Can't sneak attack with unarmed strikes because they aren't a weapon
>Savage attacker works with unarmed strikes because they're a melee weapon
wut
>>
>>43695684
>Can't sneak attack with unarmed strikes because they aren't a weapon
Wrong.
Can't sneak attack with unarmed strikes because unarmed strikes aren't finesse.

There's worse shit like
>Difference between weapon's damage die and damage die in the PHB
>Suddenly great weapon fighting style, which says fucking clearly damage die, is only for weapon's damage die
>>
>>43695723
"The Sneak Attack feature works with a weapon that has the finesse or ranged property. An unarmed strike isn’t a weapon, so it doesn’t qualify."

That is the exact quote. They said "an unarmed strike isn't a weapon". I'm not making this shit up for shits and grins, that's literally how they word it.
>>
>>43695408
Your idea is bad and you should feel bad. Sorlocks are a red flag to everyone at the table that you're an optimizer. That said, it'd make a whole lot more sense to be a chaos sorcerer with a demon patron. That way you're at least optimizing the actual rules and not the imaginary rules you made up.
>>
>>43695684
Use daggers, use unarmed strike damage.
>>
Would /5eg/ be so kind as to offer some suggestions on how to port over shadowcasters into 5thed?

http://alcyius.com/dndtools/classes/shadowcaster/index.html

For those of you who may not be familiar with them, shadowcasters were a class introduced in Tome of Magic and their gimmick is instead of casting spells they cast "Mysteries" and the way they worked is that your fundamental mysteries functioned as spells up until a certain level, then they become spell like abilities and then finally supernatural abilities with every rank of mystery following the same pattern so the 7th 8th and 9th level mysteries are cast as spells.

editing the mysteries so they are in line with 5th's spell format is easy enough but the way mysteries are handled has be troublesome, especially when you look at the uses per day that they get and the fact you can't skip to another mystery.

I believe there was a revision written by the person who initially made it bu it was never offical.

Thoughts on this?
>>
>>43695408
>I'm mostly asking in an attempt to justify a sorclock as easily as possible
Sorcerer origins are internal, and inherent to your person; whereas warlock pacts are external, and inserted into or grafted artificially onto your being as far as I interpret them, at least. So there's no reason that your pact and origin have to be the same.

You could easily say that learning to cast spells via your patron awakened your own, hitherto unknown, ability to use magic. Or that your patron, sensing at your birth an arcane spark that might one day eclipse its own power, made a pact with your ignorant youthful self, seeking to make you reliant on it for power and thus never develop your own innate ability.

Or they might be completely unrelated, and the conjoining of two distinct sources of magic was entirely coincidental. Perhaps you are the last in a long line of dragonblooded sorcerers whose soul just to happens to have been pledged to a demon by your great-great-grandfather.

There are many ways to easily justify a sorclock. You just have to think of one.

In answer to your question, though, I do not know of any.
>>
>>43695776

The thing is that sorclocks aren't even that good. They just can spam a decent DPR through metamagic despite having a fraction of the utility of a wizard.
>>
>>43695684
>>43695723
>>43695761
Unarmed Strike isn't a melee weapon so it doesn't qualify for stuff like Sneak Attack that require attacks with melee weapons to use.

An attack with an unarmed strike is a "melee weapon attack" though, so stuff like Savage Attacker that work off melee weapon attacks work with unarmed strikes.

It's really stupid and confusing and poorly worded but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>43695930
It was like billion times better when unarmed strikes were a weapon.

Srly, a part from complicating everything why did they errata'd?
>>
>>43695930
>>43695761
I don't see this in my copy of the Player's Handbook. Was this from the errata?

Not saying that you're wrong, but listing 'Unarmed strike' under 'Simple Melee Weapons' in the Weapons table seems to run counter to putting this point across. Where two specific rules seem to contradict, I'd generally chalk it up to poor QC and leave it up to the DM to rule.
>>
>>43695930
Honestly I have no issues considering unarmed strike to count as a weapon for the sake of anything that's not the melee cantrips. And I might be open to counting them for the melee cantrips anyway.
>>
>>43696043
>And I might be open to counting them for the melee cantrips anyway.
Why? Monk is already the best martial damage dealer by far, if you don't count Fighters, Paladins, Rangers, Barbarians, Rogues, Valor Bards and literally any caster that has GFB or BB
>>
>>43696037
Finesse though?
>>
>>43696037
Likely from the November Sage Advice.

Shit most people have understood since release.
>>
>>43696108
I don't understand what it is you are trying to ask here.

Unarmed strikes are completely unrelated to Finesse. They are not, and never have been, finesse weapons. As such, they still do not qualify for Sneak Attack.
>>
>Crawfor rubbing in the wound with Warlocks not automatically gaining the spells from the patron's expanded spell list
Why don't they kill the warlock already? I mean, is anyone else using it for anything that isn't a 2 level dip?
>>
>>43696205
Tomelock, is the only option if you aren't gay.
Chainlock is for those faggets who love to fuck man ass.
Bladelock is for the pillow bitter faggets.
>>
File: Gun witch.png (265KB, 230x560px) Image search: [Google]
Gun witch.png
265KB, 230x560px
>>43695169
Hey /5eg/, how would one go about home-brewing a cantrip that allowed a caster to summon a single firearm as a bonus action that was balanced enough that I can go full Meguka without wrecking everything for the rest of the players?

Also, what would be a good 1st level spell with an equivalent theme? Something more to the effect of summoning a siege gun and having it fire before blooping out of existence again?
>>
>>43696037
It's in the errata.

>Weapons (p. 149). Unarmed strike doesn’t belong on the Weapons table.

>Melee Attacks (p. 195). The rule on unarmed strikes should read as follows: “Instead of using a weapon to make a melee weapon attack, you can use an unarmed strike: a punch, kick, head-butt, or similar forceful blow (none of which count as weapons). On a hit, an unarmed strike deals bludgeoning damage equal to 1 + your Strength modifier. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes.”
>>
>>43696157
So even if they were a weapon, they would not qualify for sneak attack. Which would be the point.

It isn't the weapon part, it is the Finesse part.

Everyone focuses on the weapon part though.
>>
>>43696230
Warlock
EB
Each ray can target different creatures
>>
What the hell is a creatures HD? Nothing in the manual lists it.
>>
>>43695279
Last time i used them was as an illusionary monster that the PCs had to fight as part of a mind raping mist.
Threw all the classic monsters against them, with their death resulting in a temp neg 1 to int before they respawn and fight the next beasty. Got to throw ridiculously high CR monsters at them to fight in individual combats, until they pass a wis save to realize that the monsters are part of the mist.
Fun was had by all.
>>
>>43696280
Hit Dice of creatures.

Also, you must be 18 yo to post here, and after reading your post, you clearly have the reading comprehension of a 5 yo kid.
>>
>>43695169
>Beholders are the best monsters, right? There's one on the front cover of the Monster Manual after all! Talk about the beholders that have appeared in your games.

Just last session we threw down with a beholder, one of the very few we've had the pleasure of fighting during a campaign as most of the ones we've been in ended before we got strong enough to face down something that tough.

Gotta say, it was a great pleasure wailing on that bastard as a Monk, it felt pretty awesome kicking the shit out of a big floaty eyeball head of doom and beating on it with my quarterstaff.
>>
>>43696230
The DMG gives guidelines for creating new spells. For a damaging cantrip it suggests around 1d10 damage for a single target or around 1d6 for multiple targets.

But yea, Eldritch Blast is already basically a meguca magical beamu anyway.
>>
>>43696328
1st time playing, don't always pick up on acronyms.
>>
>>43696363
Oh also I forgot it also says:

>The table assumes the spell deals half damage on a successful saving throw or a missed attack. If your spell doesn't deal damage on a successful save, you can increase the damage by 25 percent.

Which I'd assume would be the case since you're summoning a magical firearm to make an attack with so go crazy.
>>
>>43696037
>>43696108
>>43696157
https://mobile.twitter.com/SatsumaOranges/status/514447654328483840
>>
>>43696230
EB
Scorching ray
Sunbeam

Those spells can be fluffed as firearms and bigger and bigger firearms to the point of fucking artillery
>>
>>43696277
>>43696363
I sort of want something with different mechanics, where you actually summon a weapon/weapons that only last a round or two, come pre-loaded, are discarded when used, and are actually used with regular attack rules (Dexterity-heavy casters.) If it's more of a summon than a themed attack and a bonus action, the caster could opt to either spend his turn casting and firing a single weapon, or summoning two weapons for a burst attack next turn.
>>
>>43696447
>Monk treats it like one
The fuck?
>See avatar
>Woman
Ok, that explains the IQ <70
>Mearls says "I'd allow it"
Ok, Mearls, sometimes in sage you seem like a good guy, srly, but fuck you, dude, this time you went to fucking far, you aren't going to get that pussy
>>
>>43696493
Whine less and houserule otherwise; that's what houserules are there for.
>>
>>43695723

>Difference between weapon's damage die and damage die in the PHB
>Suddenly great weapon fighting style, which says fucking clearly damage die, is only for weapon's damage die

When did this happen? I've always rerolled my superiority die, but I guess it's not really a big deal either way.
>>
>>43696537
Jeremy Nofun Crawford
>>
>>43696535
I'm whining about retard people not reading the damn rules, not about homeruling, monk doesn't turn spears into finesse weapons, the bitch thinks otherwise and Mearls panders to her stupidity by saying "sure, I'd allow it". The problem here is her lack of reading comprehension.
>>
>SCAG recommending multiclass paladin/monk
>>
>>43696581
No, but it allows Monks to use spears LIKE Finesse weapons even though they aren't.
Since it doesn't unbalance the game in any way and because it seemed 5e cut down on a shitload of rules for ease of play and probably to not encourage the "Character Deck-Building" and finding annoying ways around the rules as a matter of course rather then being a matter of an austistic asshole, he's allowing it.

Also, it wasn't the subject that you were whining about that was stupid; it was the whining period. It's not like 5e's especially difficult to houserule anyway.
>>
>>43696447
>Mike Mearls
>>
>>43696226
pillow biter here: I resent the implication, I play bards tyvm
>>
>>43696668
When you ask to the devs about rules there's a big difference between:
-I'm making a homerule where monks turn monk weapons into finesse ones, to sneak attack with them, does this sound right?
And
-Monks turn monk weapons finesse, so I can sneak attack with them, right?

But maybe it's too subtle for you.
>>
>>43696668
Goalpost moving: The post

She's asking about game rules, not about her homerules, Mearls is only confusing her.
>>
File: 1428972179432.jpg (232KB, 1024x1395px) Image search: [Google]
1428972179432.jpg
232KB, 1024x1395px
If I want to build a strength based fightin' bard, and I plan on putting 2 levels into Paladin for heavy armor, fighting style, and smites, is it even worth it to play Valor Bard? I wouldn't gain any extra proficiencies, and Combat Inspiration can't be used to buff myself, while Cutting Words can be used to defend myself and others. Additionally, isn't Booming Blade stronger than Extra Attack? I could grab it and something else with Additional Magical Secrets and be ready to use it indefinitely, as opposed to getting Extra Attack and using it until I get to Bard 10 and taking it as a Secret anyways.
>>
>>43696797
Fair enough.
I guess what I mostly take away from it is that he doesn't even care enough to give a shit about the rules, so why should I as long as I follow the relative basics and don't make up dice rolls and numbers for my characters and level up my class when given the appropriate amount of experience and get the same abilities everyone else gets when they level up?
She's not making up fictional abilities; she's just using the features of one class while having the features of another, which as far as I can tell is the entire point of multiclassing as every single discussion about the subject here seems to suggest.

Sure it's not RAW, but I'm fairly old-school 2e so "RAW" covered barely fucking anything back when I started playing and we all got used to houseruling a LOT in my group.

Also, we're not arguing.
I'm not trying convince you that I'm right and you're wrong; your opinion is equally valid here and if you want to do something different I really couldn't care less.

And neither could Mike Mearls apparently, which is pretty funny for different reasons.
>>
>>43696815
Valor bard gives you extra attack at 6th level and Spell+Attack at 14th, if you think those are good for your character, yeah, is worth it, if you think they aren't, then isn't.

GFB and Booming Blade are good if the targets trigger the secondary effect.

Extra attack allows you to make two Smites per turn, or use GWM two times per turn, etc. It depends on what you want to use, if you aren't going to use GWM or smite more than once in a turn, then no, is not worthy.
>>
>>43696921
>he doesn't even care enough to give a shit about the rules
Actually Mearls doesn't know shit about the rules, he said it many times, he also said that for "official answers" ask Jeremy Nofun Crawford. Mearls replies 99% of the time with "I'd allow it", even to stupid unbalanced shit.
>>
>>43696966
His math is also awful too, or so I hear.
>>
>>43696966
>Mearls replies 99% of the time with "I'd allow it", even to stupid unbalanced shit

The GM Discretion.
It's an awesome responsibility and fools should not be allowed it, and yet many are, and worse their groups do nothing about it.

Ah well. Some you loose and all that.
>>
So I'm starting a two player game soon, and the other guy wants to be a ranger. What complements a ranger well?

Sorcerer, Warlock, Bard, and Wizard are unavailable because setting.
>>
So now Great Weapon Fighting style is worse than Dueling style, the later adds always +2 while the former on average never adds +2 not even with the best kind of weapons for this (2d6).

Thanks Obama.
>>
>>43697060
What kind of ranger? ranged? melee? beastmaster? hunter? deep stalker? spell-less?
>>
>>43697060
>Sorcerer, Warlock, Bard, and Wizard are unavailable because setting.

A caster-less setting because no magic I assume?
Off the top of my head I'd suggest something along the lines of using a system that's more suited to it.

But in lieu of that, pick a Fighter.
>>
File: problem-trollface.png (115KB, 704x589px) Image search: [Google]
problem-trollface.png
115KB, 704x589px
>>43697060
Roll an EK or an AT just for them "problem, setting?"
>>
>>43697060
Paladin
>>
>>43697139
Arcane Cleric also works.
>>
>>43697110
Hunter, most likely. Sorry for not mentioning it.

>>43697132
Not "no magic", but "magic is a resource people hunt down and put into magic batteries to power flying ships and shit" so it's a pretty bad idea to play one.

Our DM is set on 5E, though. The mechanics for it are still necessary, I imagine, so that's probably why.

>>43697168
Clerics are fine because divine not magical, he says.
>>
>>43696815
>isn't Booming Blade stronger than Extra Attack?
I'm curious about this too
>>
>>43697212
Hunter ranged or Hunter melee?

I'd recommend Cleric, Arcane Cleric if possible, then grab magic initiate at fist level and choose Shillelagh as one of your cantrips, then GFB from your subclass, enjoy being competent at melee.
>>
>>43696458
I feel you, I prefer it when mechanics matches the fluff as well. I put this together for fun:

Evocare Fucile!
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You summon an ornate magical firearm to your free hand. The firearm is similar in size and shape to a musket, and it lasts until the end of your turn. You can use your action to make a ranged spell attack with this firearm against a creature within 80 ft. On a hit, the target takes piercing damage equal to 2d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This damage is considered magical.
When you reach higher levels you can make multiple attacks with this firearm as an action: two attacks at 5th level, three attacks at 11th level, and four attacks at 17th level. You can make these attacks at the same target or different ones. Make a separate attack roll for each attack.

I had it key off your spellcasting ability but you could easily change it to key off of Dex if you feel that's more appropriate.
>>
>>43697060
Easy answer is druid as long as there aren't any issues between who's better mechanic wise
I would go with Barbarian if you don't want to make other people feel inferior
>>
>>43696347

ITT: Things that never happened
>>
>>43697085

Gotta show your math m8

Dueling is generally the best selection for melee but I'd like to see your math on that.
>>
>>43697259
Depends.
Extra attack by itself isn't much, but it allows you to smite a second time, to use GWM or Sharpshooter twice.

>Simple extra attack
2d6+5 + 2d6+5 = 24

>Booming blade without triggering the secondary effect
2d6+3d8+5 = 25.5

>Extra attack with GWM/Sharpshooter
4d6+10+20 = 44

>Booming blade with triggering
2d6+3d8+5+4d8 = 43.5

>Extra attack with GWF plus smites
44+up to 10d8

>BB with triggering and smite
43.5+up to 5d8

Its late so maybe my math is off
>>
>>43697284
Ranged. He really wants to shoot that bow.

Cleric sounds pretty fun. I've never played one before, though - what would you advise stats-wise?
>>
>>43697300
>Better than EB or any other cantrip
well done.
>>
Is it just me, or does green flame blade make arcane tricksters broke as fuck in terms of damage output?
>>
>>43697368
Rerollin 1s and 2s once on a d6 makes the average a 4.16
That means 2d6 have an average of 8.33
2d6 normally has an average of 7

8.34-7 = 1.33

Dueling gives you +2

2>1.33

Dueling gives you more damage than GWF.
>>
>>43697324
I could fairly regularly hit the beholder with my attacks and could in fact roll damage dice to reduce it's HP on a regular basis.
Do you not know how Combat works in D&D? It's cool, it won't take too long for you to get it, 5e's an easy edition to jump into. You're gonna love it, I hope.
>>
>>43697405
>what would you advise stats-wise?
Wis>Con>Dex>Rest

With Shillelagh you use Wis to hit and damage, so you don't need Str. You don't need more than a 14 on Dex.

If you use standard array go

8, 13, 14, 10, 15, 12 for example.

Try to rise Wis to 16 with your race bonuses.
>>
>>43697501
Unless you crit, but that's beside the point. Aren't great weapons designed to be either hit it the very hardest, or give a range advantage? Even if Dueling weapons are weaker in total, why does the ability give a flat smaller bonus? It made sense when it scaled off of bonus dice such as Superiority, Smite, Sneak attack, etc. There's still GWM, but that can't be compared to the [no feat] for dueling.
>>
>>43697492
>Broke as fuck
Not really, they surpass barbs instead of being behind them, but they still can't surpass well built rangers, paladins or fighters.
>>
>>43697435
>takes an action and a bonus action to actually use it
>80 ft. range
>deals piercing damage

Remove the bonus spellcasting ability modifier damage and/or change the damage dice if it bothers you that much. As it is now it isn't even really better than Green Flame Blade.
>>
>>43697628
>Deals piercing damage
With a "magical ornate weapon" so who fucking cares? is magical damage it ignores resistances and immunities.
>80ft
More than enough
>Takes an action and a bonus action
And? most wizards don't use bonus actions

Be an evo wizard and you can add Int twice to each shot.
>>
File: 1443327831287.jpg (94KB, 471x650px) Image search: [Google]
1443327831287.jpg
94KB, 471x650px
If I want to invest in a Paladin for SERIOUS lockdowns, should I take Shield Master and a level in Rogue to have ungodly grapple/shove prone rolls? I'll be using the shield and a weapon, so a rapier for the occasional bonus 1d6 from Sneak Attack is no issue, and I'll be unarmed striking any poor sap who gets caught in that combo, until I or a teammate finishes them. Of course, I'll have plenty of other crowd control options from Oath of the Crown, so I shouldn't need to do that all of the time, so no worrying about Tavern Brawler.
>>
File: 1420511958372.png (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1420511958372.png
1MB, 1200x1200px
>>43697552
Righto righto, I'll give that a look. Thanks for the help!
>>
>>43697801
Tunnel Fighter fighting style from UA, combined with Polearm Master and Sentinel feats makes you an absolute lockdown machine against hordes.
>>
File: 1447474323991.png (526KB, 578x753px) Image search: [Google]
1447474323991.png
526KB, 578x753px
>>43697875
I want to make it be able to absorb as much damage as possible, so a shield is ideal. That, and while PM and Sentinel are a neat combo, that's two feats already, so I won't be able to use it until level 4 minimum. Also, Tunnel Fighter is clearly in need of at least a rewording to make it less ridiculous. I could do it, but then I'd also lose the +1 AC style.
>>
>>43697797
>Empowered Evocation (p. 117). The damage bonus applies to one damage roll of a spell, not multiple rolls.

wew

It was for a hypothetical magical girl character anyway, which I would have assumed would be a Warlock.
>>
File: MinotaurSkeleton.png (901KB, 645x645px) Image search: [Google]
MinotaurSkeleton.png
901KB, 645x645px
Reminder that Minotaur horns make them, quote, "never unarmed" and therefore incapable of triggering martial arts.
>>
File: laughing animes.gif (3MB, 445x247px) Image search: [Google]
laughing animes.gif
3MB, 445x247px
>>43698250
Unarmed strikes can still be done when you're wielding a weapon, jackass.
>>
>>43695169
In my first game as DM, I used homebrewed Beholder Spawn at level 3 for an interesting encounter.

This was the same game I had them fight a Tarrasque at level 13. I'm happy to say they succeeded legally without needing too much from me.
>>
>>43698294
You gain the folIowing benefits while you are unarmed or wielding only monk weapons and you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield:

Minotaur horns are not a monk weapon, they are incapable of unarming themselves of them, ergo they cannot trigger Martial Arts.
>>
>>43698360
That's the most idiotic interpretation of any rule I've ever seen.
>>
>>43698388
The literal interpretation
>>
Any good mindflayer race homebrew out there?
>>
>>43695845
That's true. They're not broken, but they're made by people who want to make broken characters. The two classes don't blend together well thematically, only mechanically. They're also rather dull to play.
>>
>>43695405
I can dig that, but I would talk more about what crimes you were involved with.
>>
>Playing an evil character, mainly just an asshole
>Party continually going on adventures he would have no fucking interest in
>When I successfully convince the party to not do something the DM says "Well that's where the content I made is, so it's go there or the session's over"
>>
>>43698422
Not quite, read literally you are, indeed, never unarmed, but if you were to wield a monk weapon, you would still be "wielding only monk weapons", as the horns are not a weapon being wielded, allowing you to trigger martial arts as long as you were using a monk weapon.

I am the best kind of correct, the technical kind.
>>
Is it worth playing a nature cleric? It seems like the only reason to play one is for Shillelagh
>>
>>43698656
Why would you play an evil character in a game with presumably good characters?
Why would the DM let you play an evil character in a game with presumably good characters?
Why wouldn't your group discuss the type of game you all want to play beforehand and make characters that fit that sort of game?
>>
>>43698656
If your DM can't come up with things on the fly, you might need a new DM. Also, stop being That Guy.
>>
Does anyone else use henchmen and hirelings as much as my party? They're always hiring people (mostly I use NPC Guards out of the MM) and it often throws off my encounter balance.
>>
>>43698692
Unlimited reaction resistance is cool
>>
>>43698842
>>43698782
They aren't 'good', they're ostensibly neutral.

Neutrality of course means you have to run around doing errands for every single person with a problem, typically for no reward other than looting the cave.

'Working on contingency' doesn't strike me as terribly neutral.
>>
>>43698863
That was pretty standard in AD&D. Bringing hirelings to haul the treasure or help you fight was common because it made sense. If you're in a world where mercenaries are common and you're facing a difficult fight, you'd want to get other mercenaries to help bear a share of the risk for a share of the reward.
>>
/5eg/ I'm considering making a monk for a campaign and I'm building a sun monk from the SCAG, It's stat array and I'm playing a variant human and I'm considering what feat to get for level 1.

The Party is a Dragonborn Oath of Vengeance Paladin, Hill Dwarf Healing Domain Cleric and a Deep Gnome Abjuration Wizard.

Any ideas?
>>
Monsters are a lot harder to take down in my setting without proper equipment and planning. Silvered weapons are a must.

So what would be the equivalent of silvered weapons for casters? Arcane foci with holy runes etched into them or something?
>>
>>43698863
my players dont hire many people but they have all acquired first-level followers.
>>
>>43699035
Lucky or Mobile

>Deep Gnome Abjuration Wizard
Muh nigga
>>
>>43699074
A feat called 'Elemental Adept'.
>>
>>43699035
The monk, like the rogue, tends to die first. Even if you're throwing hadoukens from as far away as you can, you are squishy and closer to the enemy than the wizard is. Maybe Magic Initiate to cast Mage Armor or Shield of Faith. Healer can be good, especially if the cleric and paladin are shirking their healing duties. Or fuck, maybe even Defensive Duelist or Tough.
>>
>>43699182
>Mage Armor
For what purpose? You should have 16 Wis anyways.
Mobile is alright, even more movement, and you can swing at up to 4 enemies and then run from them.
>>
>>43699166
I don't mean mechanically, I mean flavor and lore-wise, something that has the same feel as getting a silvered weapon but for casters.
>>
So /tg/ just started a new adventure.

We've got a Mountain Dwarf Cleric, Hill Dwarf Druid, Halfling Bard, a Half-Orc Warlock who's plan is to just go around punching things with burning fists and a half-elf Paladin Oath of Ancients.

Should be fun.

thanks for reading my blog, also I'm the Paladin and I have never played DnD so no idea what to do
>>
>>43699240
Do you still get to add your Wis to AC while wearing Mage Armor? It seems like you should. It says your "base AC" with Mage Armor is 13 plus your Dex, but your AC with an Unarmored Defense feature is more than your "base AC," I should think.
>>
>>43699261
Consider silvered robes/armor to give resistance to the (overpowered) enemies instead.
>>
>>43699129
>>43699182
>>43699240
These options all sound good mechanically.
What would the merit of picking Magic Initiate and taking Hex? I'considering the flavor of the idea and was just wondering about that would play?
>>
>>43699240
>>43699129
Mobile hardly ever comes up. I know - my group has a fighter with Mobile who keeps complaining that enemies just follow him around and attack him just as often as they would have if he'd been standing still. It also keys off of something you never want to do - move from enemy to enemy and spread out your attacks without killing the first enemy first.

Lucky does come up, but using it makes the whole table groan.
>>
>>43699367
With Monk's already higher than normal speed on top of the +10 ft. from Mobile he can actually outpace most enemies. I had a Mobile Monk player in a previous game.
>>
>>43699323
Hex requires your bonus action to target, and most of the time it's better to just use martial arts or flurry and hope they die, as opposed to waiting for that extra xd6 next turn.
>>
>>43699323
It has the merit you think it would. Once a day, until the next short rest or until you lose concentration from getting hit, you deal more damage against everything. It's fine, but it's the total offensive approach that won't much help you survive those dangerous first few levels.
>>
>>43699074
What sort of monsters will you be using? Just curious.
>>
>>43699400
If he moves all in one direction. If he's trying to move in, attack, and move out every turn, that won't be enough to move completely out of range of most enemies, especially if they have anything with range.
>>
>>43699293
fuck off dude go read the rulebook and come back and don't ask these same questions over and over
>>
>>43699074
>Wizards, Sorcs and Warlocks
Not sure
>All the other casters
Also silvered weapons

Honestly in my last game the Lock was using a melee weapon half as much as EB spam
>>
>>43699438
Abberations, undead, Illithids, more mundane monsters twisted by the far realm or the shadowfell, that sort of stuff. Basically Ravenloft-ish.
>>
>>43699447
This is one of those many things the rules are ambiguous on. And there's no Sage Advice or errata on it.
>>
>>43699500
PHB 14, under Armor Class. Not ambiguous at all.
>>
So I feel like I'm missing something with a couple of the archetypes introduced in the SCAG and I was wondering if a few people could fill me in on what they're supposed to really do. The Mastermind (Rogue) and Undying (Warlock) are the main culprits, since they both just seem to have nothing but basic, underwhelming abilities... so am I missing something or are they genuinely underwhelming?
>>
>>43699472
Why do so many people spell "aberration" wrong? It's the same root as "errant," something deviating from the norm, something weird. Did something famous misspell it with two B's and one R, and it just stuck?
>>
So what is the class tier list so far?
I feel like it is
1. Wizard Cleric Bard
2. Druid Fighter Paladin sorcerer
3 Rogue Warlock barbarian
4 Ranger
>>
>>43699701
Masterminds are good at being the face out of combat and whipping Help actions around at range as a bonus action, because if you're a shooty rogue instead of a stabby rogue that bonus action is going to be wasted anyway. Their ability to use teammates as shields is particularly good and addresses the survival problem all rogues have. Undying warlocks are hard to kill - they have that thing zombies have.
>>
>>43699746
It breaks down between archetypes, a lot of the wizard archetypes, imo, are still

Honestly tiers are mostly irrelevant in a game where the difference is so small and where the absolute highest point in the game isn't when they break the game if they even do. Hardly anything happens past level 15.
>>
>>43699746
In 3.PF terms, everything is Tier 3. If you rank them only relative to each other:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XsSlOcWIJxHL13RnfmcoEeLvzBqjn2Lm0w-PjKXK_jU/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm

Disagree? Vote here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XsSlOcWIJxHL13RnfmcoEeLvzBqjn2Lm0w-PjKXK_jU/viewform

Criteria:
S tier: Reserved for classes that are almost flawless. They can do many things very well, out of combat and in combat. They can outclass other characters while also excelling in other areas. These classes should have no or very few flaws

A tier: Reserved for classes that are fantastic. They can do a large number of things, or one thing very well. They should either be able to outshine other characters in their area of expertise. or almost all of the time be useful.

B tier: Reserved for classes that are good. These classes have one or more flaws that effect their performance, or are outperformed a lot of the time by another class. They still can function and do well, but not as consistanly

C tier: Reserved for classes that have a small niche. These classes have many flaws that prevent them from being useful a lot of the time. They face heavy competition from higher tier classes.

D tier: Trash. Why would you pick this?
>>
>>43699500
>>43699557
feel stupid yet?

also next time google these basic ass questions instead of shitting up the thread please and thank you
>>
>>43699913
If you're not interested in talking about the game, or at least overhearing people talk about the game, maybe you're the stupid one for being here.
>>
File: 1447138714756.png (8KB, 359x291px) Image search: [Google]
1447138714756.png
8KB, 359x291px
>>43699922
People shitting up the board with moronic posts just makes the board worse
People like you that encourage these thinks are even worse.
>>
>>43699957
You'e right, the board is really bad and we should leave it right away. You first.
>>
>>43699972
Ladies first
>>
>>43699981
Age before beauty
>>
>>43697552
Hey, if you're still here, it seems like arcana domain is a no-go. Light is the one I find the most interesting - do you have any tips for that?

Or anyone else, that would be cool too.

Please and thanks and sorry!
>>
>>43699992
weight before wit
>>
>>43700002
not that guy, but light is kind of like a blaster cleric, just make sure you have good wis so you can land spells, other than that cleric chassis is so strong you won't mess up.
>>
>>43699922
just want you to know i'm not every guy thats replied to you, multiple people think you're an idiot for asking inane questions

if you and every other moron like you could just read the book like it says in the OP, politely, then you wouldn't be faced with trolling and shitposting when you ask stupid questions
>>
>>43700007
Pearls before swine
>>
>>43700042
Or you could just come to terms with the fact that some people have social lives and may have missed that one sentence in a frequently-glossed-over part of the book, and that questions like these are no more a waste of time than you idiots arguing over tiers or asking how you do a thing from a bad anime.
>>
More PrCs when? Rune's a shit.

I just want a PrC that lets me punch shit as a Barb.
>>
>>43700298
Hopefully never.
>>
>>43700290
Your taste in anime is shit
>>
>>43700325
How dare you
>>
>>43700290
What the hell does a social life have to do with being able to read?
>>
>>43700325
Shit dude that's just too far.

Take a good look at yourself and see what you've become.
>>
This thread is giving me hypernatremia.
>>
>>43697300
>2d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier
>+ your spellcasting ability modifier
>THEN THAT SHIT DOES EVEN MORE DAMAGE

Into the trash it goes.

Compare your cantrip to Magic Stone:

Transmutation cantrip

Casting Time: 1 bonus action

Range: Touch

Components: V, S

Duration: 1 minute

You touch one to three pebbles and imbue them with magic. You or someone else can make a ranged spell attack with one of the pebbles by throwing it or hurling it with a sling. If thrown, it has a range of 60 feet. If someone else attacks with the pebble, that attacker adds your spellcasting ability modifier, not the attacker’s, to the attack roll. On a hit, the target takes bludgeoning damage equal to 1d6 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Hit or miss, the spell then ends on the stone. If you cast this spell again, the spell ends early on any pebbles still affected by it.

Do you understand what you did wrong yet?
>>
Taking an Abjurer from 1st to hopefully 15th. How does this look for spells? DM pretty loose with buying scrolls up to about 5th level so some here will need to be purchased/found.

C: Chill Touch, Create Bonfire, Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion
1: Absorb Elements, Alarm, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Shield, Sleep, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Thunderwave
2: Flaming Sphere, Invisibility, Misty Step, Mirror Image, Pyrotechnics, Suggestion
3: Animate Dead, Counterspell, Fireball, Hypnotic Pattern, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Major Image, Melf's Minute Meteors
4: Arcane Eye, Banishment, Evard's Black Tentacles, Greater Invisibility, Polymorph, Watery Sphere
5: Animate Objects, Conjure Elemental, Hold Monster, Rary's Telepathic Bond, Transmute Rock, Wall of Force
6: Contingency, Globe of Invulnerability, Magic Jar, Mass Suggestion
7: Forcecage, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion, Plane Shift, Simulacrum
8: Clone, Maze
>>
File: gunsaurus.jpg (107KB, 887x710px) Image search: [Google]
gunsaurus.jpg
107KB, 887x710px
>>43697300
I sort of like it. Here is my tweak.

>"Springfield's Vault"
Conjuration Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Range: Self
Components: S, M (Three Copper Coins, which the spell consumes)

You summon a single loaded Pistol or Musket (DMG pg.268) in your empty hand, floating in the air, or stuck in the ground in your space. Retrieving a firearm summoned with this spell from it's place floating in the air or stuck in the ground, or stowing it in a floating position in the air or on the ground does not count towards the number of interactions you may have with objects on your turn. Any firearm summoned in this way vanishes immediately once fired, if picked up or wielded by any other creature than you, or at the end of your next turn. At (5th) level the number of firearms you may summon with this spell increases to two. At (11th) level all firearms summoned by this spell are considered magical. At 17th level all firearms you summon with this spell are considered +1 magical weapons.

>"Slinger's Parry"
1st level divination
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take in response to being attacked by a weapon attack made by a creature you can see within 60ft of you.
Range: 60ft
Components: V, M (a firearm)

With preternatural speed you attempt to intercept a single incoming attack headed towards you by shooting the projectile out of the air or blasting the incoming weapon aside. Make a single attack roll against the creature who's attack triggered this spell using a loaded firearm you are wielding, expending ammunition as normal. If your attack roll meets or exceeds the attack roll of the triggering attack, it is counted as a miss. If your attack roll exceeds the AC of the creature who originally attacked you, you deal your firearm's damage to the target. These two effects need may occur independently of each other. At higher levels, damage from firearm attack increases by 1d10/slot level above 1st.

Thoughts?
>>
Playing a warlock that dabbles in stealth and melee, should I put my points in dex or con? I can get up to AC16 with a ritual spell on the extended list we're using if I go with dex so I've had a hard time making up my mind with this.
>>
>>43700846
Do you have Shillelagh from Tome? If so Con. Otherwise Dex.
>>
>>43698996
If your dude has no interest in doing quests and obtaining loot he's not much of an adventurer anon. I think you should think about the fact that this is a game first and your amateur dramatics hour second.
>>
>>43700982
Okay, thanks.
>>
>>43700642
Mate, Magic Circle + Conjure Elemental + Planar Binding is all you need. Bind an army of elementals to your service.
>>
>>43697501
Raising the damage of the highest damage option has a great impact on balance than raising the damage of the not-highest damage option, so Dueling is allowed to be stronger than GWF. Two-handers still deal more damage than one-handers (about 2 damage more per hit. The difference on crit rounds it up.)
>>
>>43697801
>I'll be using the shield and a weapon, so a rapier for the occasional bonus 1d6 from Sneak Attack is no issue, and I'll be unarmed striking any poor sap who gets caught in that combo
It takes more levels, but I think multi-ing to bard for expertise combos better with paladin and doesn't leave me wondering where you get a third hand, or how you plan to sneak attack without a weapon.
>>
>>43698671
This is probably true since the errata about unarmed strikes. Also, UA Material is poorly worded? I'm shocked.
>>
>>43699400
For a Sun Monk, Mobile is probably less impressive since they already have ranged attacks.

>>43699367
>spread out your attacks without killing the first enemy first.
Or you play smart, attack the same guy with all of your attacks and then retreat, only spreading attacks if you get surrounded (and that's still better than giving up those attacks to disengage.)

>>43699446
>especially if they have anything with range.
Yes. Use ranged attacks at the monk. Please.
>>
>>43700991
>Dungeons and Dragons as 100% dungeoncrawl

Sounds fucking shit yo, 5e has awful combat.
>>
>>43701505
>Sounds fucking shit yo, 5e has awful combat.

As compared to what? 3.5 and 4e? Not on your life mate.

It's not even that 5e should be 100% dungeon crawl, just that as a player you shouldn't make a character who's going to be recalcitrant and uncooperative with the rest of the party being heroes and doing hero things. Otherwise it's a bad character who should probably retire if he has no desire to go adventuring.
>>
>>43700991
tfw trying to work out a conversion of Birthright to get out of the 100% dungeon crawl thing
>>
>>43699261
You're thinking of the Witcher, right?
In the actual Polish Witcher RPG silver casting implements and spells could "acquire" the talismanic properties of silver if used correctly (such as wards with silver being more effective, silvered wands or staves and such) with the right spells or rituals.
>>
>>43701569
There's literally nothing wrong with playing your alignment and being annoyed that neither the other players nor DM can be bothered to play theirs nor find more compelling reason for us to do something than because "its there and in a metagame perspective you know that that's where the content is".

And, yes, 5e does have worse combat that 3.5 and 4e by virtue of 5e being a trimmed down version of 3.5 and 4e being completely combat and tactics focused.
>>
>>43701630
If you're the only one who has a problem, have you considered that you're the problem?

I've never had any issue with 5e's combat. 3.5 was always a hodge-podge of adding up tiny bonuses. I only played 4e the once but while it flowed well, partly thanks to an experienced and competent DM, the enemies took forever to whittle down.
>>
>>43701669
Gonna have to agree with this anon, 3.5e combat was a mess.

4e combat was OK around the midlevels when I played that. Similar or better feel than 5e. Higher levels in 4e were shit where the HP bloat took over.
>>
>>43701669
You're right, the writing of a campaign being shit is a player's fault.

As nonsensical as it is to say someone is playing a game 'wrong', maybe playing a tabletop roleplaying game like a game of Diablo II isn't quite what is intended.
>>
>>43701669
What was annoying about 4e to me was how often it felt in many engagements there was a certain point where there was no longer any realistic chance the enemy could win as our abilities and powers and spells were keeping it locked down and more reliably doing damage every turn faster then they could really ever hope to kill us even with criticals, but we still had to slog through several rounds of grinding down it's/their HP even though victory was effectively already determined.

I think I've played some strategy videogames a bit like that, where you had basically won and everything else was just the process of finalizing the win, but it felt odd for it to be a thing in D&D.
>>
>>43701709
Once again, if you're the only party member who has a problem you're the problem. Find a group that will cater to your desire for an improv acting troupe and let them have their fun playing heroes who go on quests for its own sake.
>>
>>43701728
>Unironically defending rollplaying and railroading
>>
>>43701719

Was that at the start of 4e? As that was a bit of an issue to start with them not really getting that they'd made monsters a bit pillowfisted/full of HP.

MM3+ they did a lot of fix that up. A crit from a non-minion will tear a lot of non-defenders a new one. It might not kill unless you are already hurt but you'll burn a few healing surges as a result.

My Monk has been nearly killed from full with a couple of unfortunate crits.
>>
>>43701719
Honestly for all that's he's pointlessly verbose and his schtick is kinda annoying I'm in agreement with AngryDM on this one, past a certain point where it's obvious who's won the DM should really just say "and with a few accurate shots and slashes you dispatch the monster" and end combat.
>>
>>43701762
>Unironically insisting there's a wrong way to have fun
>>
>>43701762
He is right though. Lets say you hang out with a group of friends and you all eat paint together. This paint is non-toxic, so no one will be harmed.
One day, you say "This paint is shit, I don't want to eat paint anymore!" Everyone else loves eating the paint still, and thats the only thing they want to do when they hang out. You can either eat the paint with everyone else or leave, but you can't force them to stop eating paint. He is the problem.
>>
>>43701765
I think it helped that we're fairly experienced gamers and we're very good at figuring out rules systems.
>>43701783
Way, way, WAY too many reviewers of comics and games and traditionally "nerd" media make a whole thing of being assholes and I think it sometimes hurts their ability to be taken seriously when they have good points to be made.
>>
I made this quick character creation sheet for my Roll20 group, anyone see anything blatantly wrong with it? suggestions on format? typos? anything is welcome
>>
>>43702058
It's no-nonsense and to the point. Good. Though I should note me and my friends have generally found the Spells tab on roll20 to be fuckawful.

Also unless that's your houserule you don't get languages equal to your int mod in 5e.
>>
>>43702144

Not him, but I think that's a decent houserule. Int is pretty shitty in 5e unless obviously you're a wizard.

My own rule is that you can add either your Dex mod or your Int mod to your Initiative. Quick mind vs. Fleet foot kinda thing.
>>
>>43702144
The additional languages is a houserule. As soon as I posted that I found a few grammar things I was unhappy with, and I didn't tell them to write the racial traits down those have been fixed.
Not sure how long ago you used it, but there's a newer version called the Shaped Character Sheet that's supposed to be better. Although, I've personally never played a caster on Roll20 so I wouldn't know.

>>43702170
That's... interesting, does it work?
>>
i know that this is off topic but does anyone have a copy of the monster manual ???
>>
Check the MEGA in the OP
>>
>>43702214
Check the OP.
>>
>>43702229
thank you
>>
How to run a haunted house element in my campaign?

City Setting, but i'm thinking in the poor quarters theres a house that's been around since the beginning of the city that people just avoid. No one goes in, no one comes out and inside is basically a NWN Charwood scenario of time being stopped and the players having to find clues, figure out the guilty parties and pass judgement.

Ever ran any spooky shit in your games? I'm thinking about just separating them into three groups that can't interact until the end.
>>
File: 1447098290242.png (99KB, 804x490px) Image search: [Google]
1447098290242.png
99KB, 804x490px
Is anything interesting ever going to be posted to this website.

It's just the same people posting useless shit.
>>
>>43702403
Most of the people in these threads have no idea what to talk about without at least one source book every two to three months.

This is a board where people prefer to talk mechanics over everything else.
>>
>>43702403
Most of the interesting conversations (for my money atleast) comes from worldbuilding / discussing upcoming or ongoing campaigns but people don't like talking about that and would rather shitpost about a waifu sword or classes that are never going to be properly balanced.
>>
>>43702424
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ePUWJ_GznBUzc0d3k0NHl0YkE/view?usp=sharing

Talk about this. How do we make it better?
>>
>>43702450
Currently working on the set up for a campaign that takes place in a Mediterranean like setting, with a focus on the coastal lands.
Some oddities of course, Walrus people, little bear-men, giant carp with reddish-orange scales that splash around.

Generally it's going to be a lighthearted game, focused on a group that wants to profit off of treasures, and inevitably get caught up in a dark conspiracy to rebuild weapons from an ancient magical war between two mostly alien races.

Though I am currently trying to figure out how I should pace out the introduction of the conspiracy and the power players involved.
>>
>>43702592

How many players and how often are you running sessions?
>>
>>43702610
Two players, once per week for most weeks, twice per week when we can all make it.

Plan to have a helper NPC or two that can show up from time to time, since both players have expressed enjoyment in that from previous games.
>>
>>43701087
So is ok to give +2 to damage and +2 to CA to dueling
But more than only a 1.37 to GWF is a nono? fuck this shit

If it weren't due feats I'd say fuck GWF, and lets hope your GM lets you use feats
>>
>>43702662

Cool. Unless your players really need a thrust i'd say don't worry too much about the introduction, a simple crossroad meeting, or port town bar suffices most of the time. But if you want a most structured campaign you should have some explosive shit go down to introduce them to the setting.

Do you have multiple kingdoms / cities set out? If you're going for a conspiracy, i'd suggest introducing that a few sessions in after some swashbuckling treasure hunting. Maybe sprinkle some small unrelated stuff like a brawl or theft they've heard about, or some ominous ships with black sails passing them by that's related to someone involved in the conspiracy.

Are they going to have their own ship / sea vessel for exploration? If so starting in a small chain of islands / archipelago might be a good idea, get some early treasure / setting introduction, then have them come to a big port city that houses those involved in the conspiracy.
>>
File: 1445823142460.jpg (201KB, 470x595px) Image search: [Google]
1445823142460.jpg
201KB, 470x595px
>>43702697
>getting this booty bothered about a very minor nerf that doesn't actually affect your damage that much
>Getting this put out about the fact that Dueling and GWF are now about equally powerful
>>
>>43695930
Unarmed strikes are melee weapon attacks, even if no longer listed in the weapons table

>Does the Savage Attacker feat work with unarmed strikes?
>Yes, it does. Savage Attacker benefits melee weapon attacks, and an unarmed strike is a melee weapon attack.
from https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015
>>
>>43703016
Yes, that's what the post you replied to said.
>>
Is anyone else having trouble coming up with encounters for levels 5-8? It seems to be I either have to throw one big monster or bucketloads of little ones at the party to give them a good fight. I only have 5 players, so I feel like it should be pretty standard.
>>
>>43703095
5 players is right on the edge of bumping you up to a higher XP budget. I would design encounters with that XP budget in mind.
>>
>>43703105
I actually have five level 5s and three level 1 companions. sorry to be a bother, but is the revised XP budget in the DMG with the rest of the encounter building section?
>>
>>43703111
Yes it is, there's a paragraph about it and also a table for how to account for large numbers of little monsters.

The level 1 companions don't really figure into it very much, I'd recommend either leveling them up or sidelining them for now (just say they're engaged with other monsters, or that they're unwilling to fight things so obviously over their heads).

Either way the 5 level 5s need to be put on an XP budget for a party of 6 really. Though bear in mind that a Hard encounter for a party of 6 will likely be closer to Deadly for them.

Also when you're thinking about the difficulty of combat don't just think in terms of HP, think about resources spent. Sure the Wizard may trivialize an encounter by nuking the minions with a fireball and charming the captain, but that's a level 3 and 2 spell slot he won't get back until he takes a long rest. Even if they take no damage if the encounter fulfills the purpose of taking resources away from the players so they can survive it's done its job.
>>
>>43703148
Thanks for the advice, I've kind of been struggling with encounter building for a little while now. I really appreciate it.
>>
>>43702697
That's Jeremy Nofun Crawford for you

His next moves are going to be nerfing monk's damage, nerfing bladelock and nerfing landruid.
>>
Life or nature cleric?
I'm sort of straying away from nature because I will never use my divinity, and their domain spells aren't great, but that reaction resistance is pretty nice
>>
>>43697300
Im surprised nobody got the reference
>>
>>43702697
GWF never raises maximum damage at all. Did you not think that a little specific in the first place? It raises the average by reducing the chance to deal minimal damage.

Of course we only have this because playtesters flip their shit when fighters have damage on a miss, I'm sure.
>>
>>43695408

The good thing about Warlocks is that the justification for it is pretty self-evident. A Warlock is someone who made a shady deal out of lust for power (which doesn't necessarily have to be an evil motivation).

Why am i a Warlock? Because i wanted to be more powerful. Your character was failing to master his sorcerous powers quickly enough for his liking, so he took a deal with the devil to gain power for himself. After all, your character doesn't know he's got a level limit.

I've always felt that trying to think of special combined origins like that make half-class characters less believable if anything - theyre usually not necessary when there's a simpler explanation. Why is my character a Wizard-Sorceror? Well i could think up some sort of special reason, or i could just say the obvious. He started out with sorcerous powers but decided he'd rather understand magic than be used by it, and began studying it as a scholar instead.
>>
>GM doesn't give you even one tiny bit of a hint about the campaign
>Gets surprised and kinda mad when, after he asks you for the backstory, it doesn't fit 100% in his campaign
GMs of the world, why you do this? Do you expect us to read your mind?

Same with bosses with weak spots that only you know.
>>
>>43702311
I've played in a campaign that tried to be spooky. The problem was that it came off as a frustrating, railroading piece of shit. It was like a bad episode of the Twilight Zone, with arbitrary bullshit happening to keep us from using any common-sense solution to the problem we might have thought of (Get out of there, burn the house down, ask a powerful church for help or advice, load up on ghost touch weapons, etc.) We weren't scared because we came at it from the mindset of a normal adventuring party.

You really need to talk to your players ahead of time and ask if they're willing to do a horror adventure. They need to buy into it a little and let themselves be scared, because otherwise they'll just be annoyed, or not even notice that the undead they're fighting are supposed to scare them more than the undead they fight in every other campaign.
>>
>>43703902
It depends on how he expected you to know the weakspot.

If he describes a big glowing pad on its back then that's probably a weakspot, so Zelda that shit. If it's a dragon of legend and that legend includes, say, missing scales under the wing, then that's also probably a weak spot.

If it's just a beholder covered in dragon scales with no clue how to figure out how to kill it then dick move, DM.
>>
>>43703902
>>43703925
Sometimes the DM expects you to roll a knowledge check to know a monster's weaknesses, or even do some research ahead of time. It's fair if the DM lets everyone know that the monster is difficult or impossible to kill by normal means before the party actually faces it. But if the monster is set up so that there's no way you can kill it without passing a difficult knowledge check that you didn't even know was necessary before getting into the fight, that's a very Sierra move.
>>
>>43703902
I fucking when this happens, I hate to make backstories longer than 30 words, but almost all GMs I know ask you for at least 1 full page while also telling you shit about what the game is about, then get upset when your full page doesn't fit, then make you change it while still not telling you shit about what the game is about, rinse and repeat till you get bored or miracously get a backstory that fits.

Left so many games because of this, I'm here to play and have fun, not write 101 backstories.

>inb4 make vague as fuck backstories
I actually tend to do that, then people say I don't care enough for the game because that. What I should do is what other players do, make the backstory of a murderhobo monster/treasurehunter/mercenary with no ties to absolutely anything (which somehow isn't vage as fuck for these people).
>>
File: Custom Character Sheet Example.jpg (610KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Custom Character Sheet Example.jpg
610KB, 2550x3300px
Rate my character sheet (this isn't an actual working character that I've played, just an example). I don't need ALL information at my fingertips, just a point of reference.
>>
>>43703993
Should probably include ability scores, and that aesthetic is gonna rot when you add more features.
>>
>>43703993
Belts have odd numbers, not even.
>>
>>43703993
There isn't a lot of room to track hit points or other expendables. I like having those little boxes to fill in for limited-use abilities and magic items. But hit points are especially important to have a lot of room for, even if it's just being printed for a one-shot.

There are a few other typos. The subtitle under Military Rank is the same as the one under Dwarven Resilience, the number of hit dice is missing, and some fighter features are listed as once per day that you get back with every short rest. Ooh, maybe there could be two different colors of little box, one that recharges with a short rest and one that recharges with a long rest.
>>
>>43704035
Yeah, this sheet for a fifth-level wizard would be a mess. Maybe spellcasters would just need a second page.
>>
>>43703990

As a DM I kind of hate when a player's backstory is a novelette's worth of intrigue and secrets. It shifts the focus to only one character, and having to make a revelation about something the player thought up in the first place feels a little too much like helping someone act out a play they wrote starring themselves.

"You're secretly the king's long lost son."

"Gaaaaasp I'm so shocked by this dramatic turn of events!"

As a sidenote, I mind it a lot less when the entire party works together to come up with a backstory that includes everyone, because at least then if a figure from their past shows up I'm not sidelining three people.
>>
As a ranged cleric, what concentration spells should I be casting? Bless seems like the only worthwhile thing in most situations.
>>
>>43703990
>>43704100
I once had the greatest of fun (as a DM who hates long backstories) forcing a co-worker with a habit of writing novelas to literally elevator pitch me his character.

We both work at the same civil service office and were alone in the lift up to the 6th floor, so after we got in I asked for his character's backstory, and everything he could squeeze in would be allowed. He ended up liking the character a lot.

>>43704203
Bless is your bread and butter, certain situations will demand a Crusader's Mantle, Magic Circle, Spirit Guardians or Hold Person.
>>
Anyone know where to find the Dark Sun 4e stuff? I've never played D&D, but I just think that setting is really cool.
>>
Okay /tg/, first time poster here. Went to my first session (is this even the correct term) of D&D last night and was interested enough to want to give it a shot. Later this afternoon, I'm going to sit down and make a character with the DM, but I'm asking for any tips and advice you guys could give. The group consists of a monk, a paladin, a rogue, a warlock, a cleric, a bard, and a druid already. So they've suggested a wizard or sorcerer for me.
>>
>>43704301
Read the original 2e stuff instead if you're not going to be playing 4e. 4e was distinctly unsuited to Athas due to its strict requirements for how gear and powers worked. They needed a workaround system for almost everything. To be more specific, 4e is a system where you're fucked if you don't get your +3 greatsword right on schedule, and Athas is a world where you're extremely lucky just to get a weapon that isn't made of wood or bone.
>>
>>43704327
Eight players is a lot of players. Usually six is pushing the upper limit for how many a campaign can handle.

If you're still getting a grip on the rules and aren't married to the idea of playing a spellcaster, maybe a fighter would be a better first-time character.
>>
>>43704327
Session is the correct term. Wizard is better. Jesus Christ that group's going to be 8 people with you in it. How does the DM cope with 7 players without it being a mess?
>>
>>43704035
Gotcha, I'm trying to figure out how to do it and keep it simple. Also, I don't mind writing small by hand, and just reprinting it later with smaller font.

>>43704059
Thanks for that, couldn't remember and didn't have book in front of me.

>>43704084
What other expendables? Also, the blue is just example writing, I usually erase and write the new HP. I'll correct the other inconsistencies.

The whole purpose behind the sheet is that I absolutely HATE the lines / boxes of traditional character sheets, and am prone to doodling.
>>
>>43704341

Did you actually read 4e Dark Sun?

Inherent Bonuses were really well done and replaced the need for gear.

There were also simple but quite effective rules for wood/metal weapons.
>>
>>43704389
Hit dice, limited-use abilities, limited-use magic items like the boots, maybe a separate spot to track temporary hit points and conditions, spell slots if he were a spellcaster.
>>
>>43704327
>>43704369
Not them, but I've played with a group before on meetup.com which has a few games going on certain days. Normally one group is open so anyone that comes in can join. I've seen them have 10+ people before, but yeah, its pretty much a mess and combat is awful
>>
>>43704369
>>43704376
DM suggested doubling the enemies or just splitting it into a Monday and Tuesday group. I'm not dead set on a class on a class or race yet. Wizard and Sorcerer seem complex as fuck, but I've played a ton of vidya and studied physics, so I think I can figure it out eventually.
>>
>>43704461
Are you starting at first level? And are you okay being a fragile caster in a party where only two of the eight people have good armor on?
>>
>>43704476
Group agreed to level me up to 4 where they all are. The DM will also create a character this afternoon too as someone else expressed an interest in DMing if we went to splitting up nights. So he will help me with the process too. But as long as I stay long back and am careful, I should be fine, right?
>>
>>43704518
Maybe, as long as you stay in the back and whip firebolts and Magic Missiles from range. Monsters will have a hard time getting to you through the seven other guys, but only two of those seven guys can take hits (three if the druid is an onion druid.) So even if you're safe, the party isn't. Consider using Invisibility to slightly decrease the chance that the rogue will be crushed into paste while going out alone, as rogues are wont to do.
>>
>>43704405
I know that there's a ton of rich 2e background, but I honestly prefer the formatting on the 4e version. I don't know anything about the rules either, so the whole setting being hard doesn't make a difference to me. Still, It would be cool to know where I could read more, the Dark Sun wiki kinda sucks...
>>
>>43704405
That's one of the workaround systems I was talking about. They also abstracted the supply system into oblivion. Instead of water scarcity being the defining element of the game, with different races needing more or less water and your alignment actually being suspended if you're dying of thirst, they just lump water together with food and fucking sunscreen of all things, assuming that if you have enough of one you're good for all three. 4e did what 4e does, make everything sterile and video-gamey.
>>
>>43704641
>Instead of water scarcity being the defining element of the game, with different races needing more or less water and your alignment actually being suspended if you're dying of thirst, they just lump water together with food and fucking sunscreen of all things, assuming that if you have enough of one you're good for all three
This is going to be exactly what 5e does when a Dark Sun supplement/adventure/etc. comes out. That level of book-keeping in D&D is dead, for good reason.
>>
>GM tells you "what if your PC has strange dreams that you don't remember, you always wake up with headaches and everything and everyone tell you to go to this place?"
What should I say?
>>
>>43696037
Once again, it doesn't fucking matter, because unarmed strikes aren't finesse weapons.
> b-but muh monk mc
No, fuck you. Martial Arts doesn't and never has made your unarmed strikes into Finesse weapons.
> b-but the net result is the same!
That's as may be. It doesn't matter: Martial Arts does NOT make your fists finesse weapons; Sneak Attack is NOT compatible with unarmed strikes.

This shitstorm has eaten each of the last 3 threads. Don't you have a DM to piss off?
>>
>>43704684
If you actually read the rules 5e has some pretty stringent rules for keeping yourself supplied with food and water separately as well as being extremely harsh in hot climates.

Heck in OOTA they make a point of emphasizing the survival rules for travelling.

I'd expect that, knowing what Dark Sun fans like about Dark Sun, they'd place an even greater emphasis on it for that setting. It's just not Athas if you're not boiling and sweating and thirsty.
>>
>>43704743
Exaclty, Dark Dun is all about being so desperate that you have to do bookkeeping on items that people in other worlds don't need to keep track of. Trash on Toril or Oerth is treasure on Athas.
>>
>>43704780
So do we have a link like the one in the OP but for Dark Sun stuff instead of 5e?
>>
>>43704084
>two different colors of little box, one that recharges with a short rest and one that recharges with a long rest.
Like reddish and blackish colored boxes? And maybe green ones for abilities that you can use all the time?
>>
>>43705059
Maybe a red and a light blue, or black and gray, so it's clear which is which even if it's a black-and-white copy. At-will abilities don't need boxes to fill in, but the text could be colored differently if you want.
>>
>>43704726
Nothing, get killed as fast as possible, post his face when.
>>
>Be barbarian
>Be a drunktard silly goose
>Every PC loves you
>Every NPC loves you
>You have Cha 8 which means I shouldn't be this charismatic
Ok, I think I'm doing something wrong, should my character be more dull, loner and introverted?
>>
>>43705810

You can be likeable but bad at actually getting people to do what you want unless you are trying to intimidate them or something.

Basically you are Gaston
>>
>>43699446
You're forgetting that if they pursue the monk they trigger opportunity attacks from other melee unless they take the disengage action. I forget if ranged attacks trigger disadvantage when they are in melee, but those are usually weaker unless the creature is good at that stuff which most aren't
>>
>>43705893
Actually wrong, to be likable you must have decent charisma, people with low charisma are simply ignored.
>>
>>43705893
Gaston was able to rally a whole lynch mob pretty quickly. He's pretty persuasive except against girls with a bestiality fetish.

Likable but low charisma would be more like Richard Cory from that poem. Or a celebrity that people enjoy but nobody takes seriously or wants to be around.
>>
Noob dm here. I have a community of blinded villagers that are a secret cult protecting a phylactory. The pcs won't know this when they arrive of course, now how do i stat these npcs?

help me /tg/
>>
>>43706113

i want them to be blind swordsmen also
>>
>>43706113
Check the NPC appendix in the back of the MM. Pick ones with appropriate CRs and abilities and give them blindsight.
>>
>>43704805
Anyone?
>>
>have a decent amount of friends in college
>start DMing for a small group
>somehow a bunch of my friends that are girls find out about this
>two separate groups of girls ask me to DM for them

They independently asked, and seemed really excited for it. One group even made their characters.

WHAT DO I DO /5EG/?!??
Experiences with all grill PCs?
What about that guy that plays as a girl? Any experiences with that?
>>
File: Fiend-Sorcerer.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Fiend-Sorcerer.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>43695408
Just read this but there is this. Can play as one of the 3 types.
>>
>>43706143
how about the sword fighting,

is there anything mechanically i can add to make them more zatoichi like in combat?
>>
>>43706251
Stop giving a shit.
>>
>>43706251
Women destroy everything OP, cleanse the blackness in their hearts with fire
>>
>>43706263
Fluff multi attack with dual wielding.
>>
File: tumblr_mv5ahysd1u1sm6f69o1_500.jpg (47KB, 500x415px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mv5ahysd1u1sm6f69o1_500.jpg
47KB, 500x415px
>>43706251
I forgot pic related
>>
>>43706251
What is the problem exactly?

Are you afraid of girls or is it something else?
>>
File: 25.jpg (59KB, 355x400px) Image search: [Google]
25.jpg
59KB, 355x400px
>>43706499

Girls are scary and evil. Tell them to get away from you.
>>
>>43706251

Treat them like real human beans m8

Ask them what their goals from a session/campaign are (how much combat, do they want more social, romance subplots,etc). Make sure that you don't overcommit on DMing because you want to meet some grills. Each session you run is probably going to require some homework on your part even if you are doing LMoP x3.
>>
>Players get access to time travel as part of the plot
>BBEG is slain and they are about to give up the mcguffin that allows this
>Fighter steals it to go back in time and save his wife and child
>Succeeds
>Comes back to the present to go see them
>Sees himself living in peace with his wife
>The only way to correct the paradox was to have someone else go back in time to save them
>The magic of the mcguffin protected his memories however.
>Now he has the memories of two men in his head
>Those of the man he was before saving his family
>And those of the guard who saw himself in gleaming plate save a woman and child from a demon
>He didn't know how but he knew that he was the one that saved them
>This gave him the drive to become stronger and be an adventurer
Did I handle this right? I knew I would be asking for trouble by handing out time travel to the party but I think I did OK.
>>
>>43696002
Because it was also complicated before.

Duelist Fighting Style would only only have worked when you chopped down your off hand or would be wearing a shield, but as soon as your off hand is free you are wielding a weapon there so no Duelist for you.
>>
>>43704341
>4e was distinctly unsuited to Athas due to its strict requirements for how gear and powers worked. They needed a workaround system for almost everything.
2e needed a shit ton of workarounds too, since it had to generate ubermensch characters compared to the usual start at level one roll 3d6 and reorder schlubs. Every character gets a free Wild Talent and starts at level 3. Many of them in Will and the Way and Dragon Kings were especially designed to help with food and water.

Not to mention the huge number of hacks to keep magic under control and tie things to the Dragons and Spirits of the Land. Or the additional Warrior and Rogue modifications to make them stronger. And let's not pretend there weren't psionic items or eventually lifeshaped items that didn't care about metal scarcity. If there was an edition of D&D that was impervious to the Monte Haul it sure as fuck wasn't AD&D.

By contrast, except for gear, 4e was perfectly suited for Dark Sun's sword and sorcery play with competent but vulnerable characters, and with built-in support to functionally operate without Clerics and with restricted casters. I would go so far as to say that 4e was probably built for Dark Sun in mind from the ground up.

>they just lump water together with food and fucking sunscreen of all things, assuming that if you have enough of one you're good for all three. 4e did what 4e does, make everything sterile and video-gamey.
Except that video games would keep track of all that shit. Resource abstraction is a narrative conceit and 4e is a narrative game that just happens to have a lot of crunch.
>>
>>43706717
>so no Duelist for you.
Good, is a shitty feat for feat starved monks.
>>
>>43706732
He's talking about the dueling fighting style that rangers, fighters, and paladins get, dummy. It wouldn't ever work unless you were using a shield because it relies on you not having a weapon in one of your hands. If your hand is a weapon by default, then you always have a weapon in your hand.
>>
>>43706825

How can my hand be in my hand?
>>
>>43706825
>Says duelist, like the duelist the feat
>he's talking about dueling, dummy
Not my fault he messed up

And neither you could use dueling before (when unarmed strikes were weapons) as a monk neither you can now, so, again, the errata only made things more complex, it didn't fix shit.
>>
>>43706825

Technically a shield is also an improvised weapon
>>
>>43706943
Shields aren't weapons. They aren't in the table: weapons.
>>
>>43706923

Just say that Monk Ki Strikes are equivalent to weapons then.

Rule 0 that shit unless you are in Adventurers league or whatever.
>>
>>43706953

Shield bashing someone with a shield is d4.

Having a torch in your hand is also a weapon.

Dueling style should be cleaned up with errata.
>>
>>43706978
Shield is not in the weapon table, therefore is not a weapon for "weapon" requisites or limitations.
Torch is not in the weapon table, therefore is not a weapon for "weapon" requisites or limitations.
>>
I've DM'd on and off (a handful of one-shots, and two campaigns of decent length) for the better part of 3 years now, and I've never killed a PC.

How do I stop being a chickenshit DM?
>>
>>43707005

Read page 147-148 again you knob. Improvised weapons are still weapons.
>>
>>43707005
>In many cases, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such. For example, a table leg is akin to a club. At the DM’s option, a character proficient with a weapon can use a similar object as if it w ere that weapon and use his or her proficiency bonus.
>>
>>43707025
Did they deserve to be killed?
Did you pull back your blows?
>>
>>43707059
So a monk with a torch can't use martial arts?
>>
>>43707025

Only shitty DMs keep count of fatalities.

Unless you are actively pulling punches and compromising the narrative accordingly it's no big deal.
>>
>>43707059
>Not sure if trolling or stupid.png
>>
>>43707075
Torch, a bag, whatever that he has in any of his hands. For example, if he has a glove, that's a weapon too.
>>
>>43706720
>competent but vulnerable characters

I'm sorry, but that's horseshit. 4e's ability score bloat does indeed represent the higher average abilities of Athasians, or it would if the same didn't hold in every other setting, but it's nigh-impossible to kill a PC in 4e. Even with resurrection magic as available and consequence-free as ever, the rules keep fallen PCs alive for ages, and any incompetent field medic with no supplies can stabilize you over half the time. And of course the monsters and NPCs don't share in this indestructibility at all - PCs use completely different rules from NPCs, even those who allegedly have the same training and capabilities.
>>
>>43707075

I'd say a torch is equivalent to a club and a club is a simple melee weapon which can be used with martial arts.
>>
>>43707061

I think this is a case where you need to use ome discretion. If they're holding a torch and swinging it as a weapon that's one thing, holding it for light is another. This strict of a reading of the rules would make using the duelist style only viable for one-armed characters.
>>
>>43707025
In 5e, it takes some doing to kill a PC after the first few levels. The quickest way is to have an enemy spellcaster cast Magic Missile on a PC while he's down for three failed death saves all at once. If that sounds unfair, just send them on a long hard grind through a dungeon with no easy way out and no safe places to rest. Maybe have some wights and other undead drain their max hit points.
>>
>>43701630
Your character's alignment and proclivities means they would not do these things with these people--so they'd leave the party and, at least temporarily, be retired from the campaign.

So the actual solution is roll up a new character and maybe they'll be interested in actually doing the same things as everybody else this time.

That's how this shit works. Either find a reason to keep that first character around or make a new character.
>>
>>43707128
>Duelist style
Again, is dueling, when you people say duelist don't get mad when other anons reply to you about the feat.
>>
>>43707128

That's why RAI is so much better than RAW because it's pretty clear that the swordsman using a torch and sword or a sword and shield can use dueling style as long as they aren't shield bashing with the shield or poking things with the flaming part of the torch as a brand.
>>
>>43707133

Having ghouls/gnolls/trolls stop and start eating on the bodies of dropped PCs is one of my favorite things and helps emphasize the horror aspect of fighting really animalistic foes.
>>
>>43707133
>>43707025
Shadow dragons make for a nice party wipe. Anything that drops to 0 hit points from their breath weapon dies immediately and rises as a shadow. And their breath weapons are big.
>>
>>43707147

My bad? I'm sitting in my office away from my PHB, I figured which one I meant would be clear from context clues.

>>43707152

Agreed, when they decide to do that I'd warn players that they'll lose the extra damage from their fighting style. Would you penalize their main weapon attack just for that one round or for the entire rest of the encounter?
>>
Shield, Torch, Gloves, Gauntlets, etc aren't in the Weapon table, therefore aren't weapons for the limitations or requirements.

Jeremy Crawford already said you can perfectly use Dueling with Sword&Board.
>>
Technically fists are also improvised weapons, they're objects, so you can't use martial arts ever, because you always wield improvised weapons, which aren't a monk weapon.
>>
>>43707200

Just for that round. Basically it's a short term strategy to get increased damage (basically d4 + str) instead of a fixed +2.

Still against a lot of foes the fear of fire in the form of a torch is a very effective barrier. As a DM I typically have animal level intelligence foes avoid fire wielders in favor of people without the burny hurty torches unless they want to put out the light source.
>>
>>43707248
They're unarmed strikes actually. Now if you ripped somebody else's fists off their body and beat them with them, that's an improvised weapon.
>>
>>43707248

No unarmed strikes are in a special category and are not counted as improvised weapons.
>>
File: thieves-world-cover-cropped[1].jpg (85KB, 304x333px) Image search: [Google]
thieves-world-cover-cropped[1].jpg
85KB, 304x333px
>>43707248
>players decided to all play rogues
>I now have a party made of 5 rogues, a thief, an assasin, a swashbuckler, an arcane trickster, and a mastermind
What the fuck do I do now?
>>
Encumbrance Variant Rules- Yeah or Nay?

In general I like encumbrance rules but the strength x 5 pounds is pretty low especially when shit like chainmail weighs 55 pounds.
>>
>>43707318
Rip off Oceans 11?
>>
File: oe01.jpg (312KB, 1029x1466px) Image search: [Google]
oe01.jpg
312KB, 1029x1466px
>>43707318
>>
>>43707318
Prepare for the best game ever.
>>
>>43707334
>>43707345

Ocean's eleven mind
>>
>>43707213
I love this because it allows S&B fighters to deal decent amount of damage per turn early levels and helps them keep up in damage at later levels.
>>
>>43707319
Nay, you'd be surprised how easy you get encumbered in D&D.

Right now I have a Scout with 11 Str in 3.5 (I know, I know) and only with chain shirt, bow, simple clothes and a quiver I'm at my medium load. 5e is not much better than that.

Add to this that the weight of almost every item ever is like twice the weight irl and you have a nonsense after another nonsense.
>>
>>43707361
If you don't allow feats is actually better than GWF thanks to the nerft.
>>
>>43702453
I'm not sure this needs to exist. As a class, at least.
I say make it a prestige class or maybe just a faction that gets them custom feat training as they go up in ranks.

Just because you're an agent of chaos doesn't mean you always do it the same archetypal ways, right?
>>
>>43707361

I typically go with a transition period game where Plate Armor hasn't really shown up yet so S&B makes sense but if you are going for a high medieval feel having knights in Plate Armor using Sword and Board instead of going with two-handed weapons is a little odd (but totally in keeping with the D&D tradition).

GWF a shit unless you are polearming.
>>
>>43702697
>>43703252
He's not saying you can't do that way.
When he says what the intent was, he says what they had in mind when they designed it.

He's not outlawing shit, you illiterate jackasses.
>>
>>43707388
Quite true but outside of sharpshooter and GWM I feel the feats are very balanced so I could never bring myself to ban them.
>>
>>43707370

I actually kinda like because it forces the PCs into interesting tactical situations where it makes sense to just dump your backpacks in order to get the fuck out of dodge.

Unfortunately tents are stupidly heavy in 5e.
>>
>>43707345
>>43707334
But...I dont know if I can pull off a grand heist styled game!
>>
>>43707388
It's about equal. Greatsword has slightly higher average damage initially and gets a slightly lower average increase from GWF. Longswords et al have slightly lower average damage and thus get +0.67 extra from the fighting style that works best with them.
>>
>>43707506

Sharpshooter and GWM really aren't that bad, for the most part I don't even have PCs take them that often because they are often getting feats like resilient instead because getting a solid wisdom or constitution save is pretty much required.
>>
>>43707529
You can do it anon, I believe in you.
>>
>>43706923
Sorry, I thought the FIGHTING STYLE right after it would trigger more neurons in your brain than -st instead of -ng.

The entire point he was making is that having unarmed strikes count as melee weapons causes just as much fuck ups and unclear wording as having unarmed strikes count as melee weapon attacks but not melee weapons.

>>43706921
You must be wielding a weapon in one hand and no other weapons. So no strapping a longsword to your arm and getting dueling and TWF. Trust me, I'm an avatar of Crawford.
>>
>>43697552
>>43700002
Well, if one of the core aspects of the setting is people harvesting magic as a resource, he could just act as a kind of "magic activist"
You know, trying to get society not to take magic for granted, preaching about conserving magic and using it for good.
>>
>Be playing Necromancer
>In a campaign where we're fighting Orcus' minions
>That sweet sweet wand calls to me.

What do you think are my chances of being able to get it if I can convince the Battlemaster to take Disarming Attack and get the big cheese himself to burn all three of his legendary resistances on stuff that seems more important?

The way I see it all I have to do is grab it after he drops it and then Plane Shift myself and possibly the party the fuck out of there so I can enjoy my newfound power as ruler of the world with the wand at my side.

Think it'll work if I don't breathe a word to the DM?
>>
>>43707318
Have them be agents of the same group, and if not that then have them be contractors for various groups.

Basically a Shadowrun-style situation where they take jobs a la cart at the outset, and then you weave a narrative into the work they get or layer it on top of it if it's a more personal thing.
>>
>>43707488
>he says what they had in mind when they designed it
How? In the book they clearly differenciate Weapon's damage die and Damage die.

That's like making a weapon heavy and then say it wasn't their intention after 1 year. I call it knee jerking.
>>
>>43707542
Very true, but GWF allows for a fuck ton of damage late game for fighters. Same for sharpshooter fighters, rangers, and valor bards. They aren't broken strong but their damage output is too high to scoff off.

Overall though I like S&B more because literally nothing ever hits me. Splint mail and a shield has literally allowed my fighter to be drowned in swarms of rats and flaming chickens and I take absolutely no damage.
>>
>>43707102
Low level 4e characters are pretty vulnerable, just not "one shot by a kobold" vulnerable. High level characters are mortal over time. Run them out of surges with hazards and traps and tough encounters, and keep them from regaining those surges with survival and disease rules and they are dead. Guess what Dark Sun is made of?

>Even with resurrection magic as available and consequence-free as ever
Besides having less resources to cast rituals, have less ritual casters due to defiler fear, and having no divine magic at all in Athas.

Issues come into play with level 20+, which is at same the point where a 2e Dark Sun character starts to metamorphose into a small god anyway.

>PCs use completely different rules from NPCs
Not this shit again, if you want to roll stats for every shopkeeper and Templar, and keep track of all their water levels be my guest. If your salty that your pet NPC couldn't solo a full party who only has two fights a day, then rest assured that 5e can't support that either past level 5.
>>
>>43707530

Average damage assuming Strength 16

Longsword with dueling
4.5 + 5

Greatsword with GWF
7 + 3 + 1.333

Longsword does worse average damage but your AC is 2 higher, Greatsword does more damage but you get easier.

GWF really only comes into it's own with GWM or Polearm Master.
>>
>>43707511
Dude, didn't you listen? just your armor and your weapon is going to surpass your encumbrance if you don't have 14 or more Str. Encumbrance rules don't help the game at all.
>>
>>43707621
There's a lot of that sort of thing because the team making 5e is literally five people. That's why you get stupid shit like Bladelocks binding magical crossbows, t-rex companions etc. They don't have the resources to proofread this shit before they send it to the presses. Frankly I'm surprised they got a coherent system out at all.
>>
>>43707625

I personally like Splint/Chain + Shield + Dueling + Heavy Armor Mastery and basically being able to tank an infinite amount of low level foes.
>>
>>43707625

>swarms of rats and flaming chickens

You'll have to explain that.
>>
>>43707661
>Longsword does worse average damage but your AC is 2 higher, Greatsword does more damage but you get easier.

Ayyy well there you go. Seems perfectly fine to me.
>>
>>43707621
In the book they also said other things that were phrased poorly and meant other things than were intended. And so they released errata.
>>
>>43707665

Nah, you just don't wear heavy armor if your strength is less than 13 (which you shouldn't anyway) and you don't carry a fuckton of additional weapons.

Chain Shirt is 20 pounds
Shield is 6
You should probably have no more than 10 pounds of weapons (melee, backup melee, ranged)
Traveler's clothes are 4 pounds

You are well under 50 pounds which is what a average person can carry without encumbrance. Everything else you need for survival is in your backpack which you drop if needed. Or you bring a pack mule into the dungeon to carry your supplies.

It's pretty cool in an old school feel.
>>
>>43707665
>>43707511
>>43707370
>>43707319
Emcumbrance doesn't work unless you modify weights. Rations weigh 2lbs. Rope weighs 10lbs. Torches weigh 1lb
>>
>>43707790
These three are actually realistic weights.
>>
>>43707701

Keep in mind of course that the Greatsword is the best weapon for this sort of thing. The math for a great axe or maul or halberd is less clear cut.

But Great Axe and Maul are cheap so it's great for melee brutes. Halberds or Glaives are solid for other reasons.

I haven't really done the math on a charging lance with a dueling style but I suspect it's the best average damage.
>>
>>43707692
Sounds very solid to me. It definitely works as long as the party doesn't charge a green Dragon at level 3.

>>43707700
Two separate stories. First instance, enemy wind cultist summons tornado after party kills his followers. Tornado drops two hippogryphs (or gryphons. Idk which) and 8 flaming bird things that I call flaming chickens. They surround me completely and attacked with advantage. Not one of them hit me.

Next instance at a carnival. Clowns attack party. They summon swarms of rats and giant rats. The swarms and both clowns hang up on me. Literally covered in rats and clowns trying to stab me. I walked out without a scratch. I love my fighter.
>>
>>43707826

Yep, food weighs a fuckton and unless you have modern ropes 50foot of hemp rope is incredibly heavy.
>>
>>43707829
Aren't the stats for a greatsword and a maul the same? Mauls are just better at bashing up skellingtons.
>>
>>43707587
None, because Disarming Attack is so shit when you have free action weapon pickups and have to spend 15 minutes arguing whether you can kick it away or not. There's nothing to increase the DC 19 saving throw either, and not knowing Orcus's stats, I'd venture that he could make it easily.

Arguing for 15 minutes on whether Grease would work since it's a first level spell but not targeting Orcus directly has less opportunity costs.
>>
>>43707855

Oh you are right, I assumed mauls where in the shit tier with the great axe and the great club.
>>
>>43706680
its so fucking cool that a players uses a mcguffin as powerful as that for rp reasons, and in the process it could potentially fuck with the caracters mind.

Be proud of your plater mate.
>>
>>43707886

Actually looking at it the Maul is a top tier weapon. Does the same damage as the Greatsword but for a fraction of the cost and honestly not that much weight.

Considering Slashing resistance is probably more common than bludgeoning resistance I guess there really is no reason not to just go with a big ass strongman.

Although I imagine magic greatswords are more common than magic mauls.
>>
These 5th edition general threads should also link the most current versions of the PHB Errata and the Sage Advice Compendium.

PHB Errata(version 1.1) : http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/PH_Errata_1.1.pdf

Sage Advice Compendium (version 1.04) : http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium.pdf
>>
>>43707625
>Very true, but GWF allows for a fuck ton of damage late game for fighters. Same for sharpshooter fighters, rangers, and valor bards.
Do people really have a problem with this? At the stage of the game where 5th level spells exist?
>>
>GM wants to port our PF game into 5e
>Everybody seems to have a decent conversion
>But for my skinwalker alchemist
Fuck
>>
>>43708015
What's new about this errata? seems like the old one.
>>
>>43708051

Just hero your alchemist and then come in with a decent 5e concept already anon.
>>
>>43708051
Totem Barbarian?
Transmutation Wizard?
Mutagenic Witch Hunter?
>>
>>43708118
>Jekyll and Mr Hyde isn't an decent character concept
Ok
>>
>>43708132
It's a cool character concept for a novel about the character, it's not a decent character concept for a game where the player and his char isn't intended to be the center of the universe.
>>
>>43708123
>Totem barbarian?
Not even close, I'm a common dude who becomes a monster, not an angry warrior who becomes a more angry warrior, also claws and bites and horns and hoves.
>Transmutation Wizard?
Not at the level we're playing
>Mutagenic Witch Hunter?
Dunno what's that, but we only use official content, if I could homebrew, I'd have homebrewed my own skinwarlker and alchemist class
>>
>>43708049
I do not have any problems with it at all. It helps martial combatants keep up with casters in damage, but to say they are balanced feats would be false as well. Nothing wrong with a lil game breaking though ;)
>>
>>43708158
So anyone who tries to play Conan-like barbarian, Robin Hood-like ranger, El Cid-like Paladin etc shouldn't be allowed? got it.
>>
>>43708158
>Not sure if trolling or stupid.bmp
>>
>>43708169
Sucks to be you then
>>
>>43708169

Monk + Warlock might cover the physical brute shit.

Just reskin the monk unarmed damage into teeth and claws. Warlock can cover the mutagens and just reskin the EB into bombs.
>>
>>43708251
Not him, but this idea is awful, due multiclass he needs Dex, Wis and Cha over 13, plus (due the whole Mr Hyde thing) good Con for melee. Alchemist were also Int based and I guess his skills were focused on that...so, yeah, fucking perfect way to recommend going MAD well, Jekyll was mental so it fits
>>
>>43708169
Learn to refluff.

Totem barbarian works. If you refluff everything.
>>
>>43708169
>>43708051
D&D 5e doesn't do well non D&D 5e settings.
>>
>>43707790
>>43707826

Rations are weird actually. The rules say you need a pound of food/day but a day of rations weighs two pounds.
>>
>>43708349
This, use maul or greatsword and just say it's your claws and bites. Also pick Sage background, and get a decent Int.
>>
>>43708402
>>43708349
>Refluff heavy weapons as unarmed attacks
The refluffers and their silly advices are here, the thread is ruined.

Anon, just play another character, if your DM gets mad tell him to go fuck himself with a cactus.
>>
>>43708391
You *need* only one pound, which means you can subsist on half-rations if you need to and starvation is an imminent concern.
>>
>>43708195
Over the entire game they are on par with Crossbow and Polearm Mastery, and stronger than TWF which is garbage, on top of the already garbage dual wielding.

You need specific weapons and advantage and stat builds to make them work at all, where other Feats don't have requirements beyond the ones that require spellcasting.
>>
>>43708391
That's also accurate. Full rations are probably about 3000-3500 calories of food. You can subsist on half that but at the kind of activity level implied by marching all day and shit, you'll be at near starvation levels.
>>
>>43708499
>>43708459
Thing is, the rules then include a section on surviving on half a pound of food a day, each time you do counting as half a day of starvation.

I guess it's just that one day of rations = one day well fed and with a full stomach? But the "Pound/Day" rule just means absolutely minimum and half-pound/day is for some sort of death march situation where you have literally no choice?
>>
File: frxmwqo.jpg (270KB, 1736x1474px) Image search: [Google]
frxmwqo.jpg
270KB, 1736x1474px
What the fuck even is the point
>>
>>43708560
750 cal is definitely starvation but survivable for some time.

I'd say quarter is just barely enough to keep yourself alive and you'd better have a horse, half ration is just enough to not suffer noticeably from it, but I might consider a save to not get starvation, while full rations are perfectly fed.
>>
>>43708585
it would be a neat looking familiar if nothing else
>>
>>43708585
I-I want one.
>>
>>43708615
>Halfling and Half orc need the same amount of rations to survive
>Halfling and Half orc lift the same
>>
Speaking of food. How much water does a human actually need a day to stay healthy? The game says a gallon a day, presumably to support the high-energy adventurer lifestyle and twice as much in hotter climates. Is that accurate? It seems a little excessive to me.
>>
>>43708666
Don't start that again.

To cut down on pointless book-keeping the game just assumes small characters and medium characters are the same 90% of the time. Unless you're dealing with crawlspaces it really shouldn't matter.
>>
>>43708474
It's not that specific. GWM uses two handed weapons. If you plan to use two handed weapons and have access to feats you will take this feat I guarantee it. Same with sharpshooter fighters and rangers, just using bows instead of two handed weapons.

Polearm master is used in conjunction with GWM unless you are using a quarterstaff in one hand. Crossbow expert is used with sharpshooter and your basically playing vayne from LoL at that point.

To be fair though they did balance the feats early level with the heavy attack penalty they incurred onto both feats.
>>
>>43708670
A full gallon is definitely high consumption, high energy and I wouldn't increase it for hot weather. Assume 2L as a baseline otherwise.
>>
>>43708448
Where does it say barbarians have to use heavy weapons? Use a warpick or something.

Take sage or guild artesian background or make your own. Get a decent int. Possibly tavern brawler feat for throwing flasks or someshit.

If anon is willing to refluff and play a subpar character he can play his pathfinder character in 5e through the flavour and roleplay, not purely mechanics.
>>
>>43708789
>Get disarmed, someone steals your weapons, etc suddenly you can't turn into a monster because?
>>
>>43708877
But the weapon isn't there, it's just a mechanic. You can't steal it.
>>
>>43708922
This.
Totally going to play a "monk", who is mechanically a full plate Polearm master paladin, the armor and the weapons aren't actually there, so you can't steal them.
>>
brand new to 5e coming from Shadowrun.

Is rogue multiclassing into wild magic sorcerer a good or bad idea? (Would it be better to just go the route of arcane trickster?)

Thanks
>>
>>43708961
And I will kindly tell you to roll a fucking monk.
>>
>>43709046
But monk doesn't allow me to have divine powers like sacred fist and his smite like punches, so I'm not going to be a monk, sorry, but I'll totally refluff Paladin instead, thanks.
>>
>>43709032
Wild Mage is mainly built for casting spells while Rogue is about landing sneak attacks. They don't synergise very well. What kind of character were you looking to play?
>>
>>43708201
He wasn't making a general point about all story characters, just that one example is a poor player character. Robin hood, Conan, and El-Cid are all compatible with groups and actually have worked with groups so they make good PC characters. It's not a hard and fast rule. "Doctor Jekyll/Mr.Hyde" is a dangerous liability, and rational adventurers would have good reasons to avoid associating with him.

TLDR: not all literary characters work in ensemble casts that need to stay together and cooperate which DnD requires.
>>
>>43709140
And berserker barbarians aren't a dangerous liability?
>>
>>43708877
Actually i changed my mind you're right. Having a weapon doesn't work at all.

Do take tavern brawler. And refluff battlerager instead of totem. It's not the armour doing the damage it's you. Unarmed 1d4 and armour 1d4 damage for days.
>>
>>43709182
When played as permanently angry and dangerous violent sadists yes.
>>
>>43709219
You have a limited amount of rages per day till 20th level
>>
>>43707661
>GWF really only comes into it's own with GWM or Polearm Master.
GWM is flat bonus damage, so it doesn't interact with the GWF style. Polearm's 1d10 and 1d4 means they deal less damage with GWF style than the longsword with dueling style. Quarterstaff is one handed, so you can deal 1d6+2/1d4+2 vs glaive's 1d10+0.8/1d4+0.5. Quarterstaff and shield with Polearm Master is better than Dual Wielder with two Longswords.
>>
>>43709219
>Full Mr Hyde is better than Mr Hyde once in a while and when is only needed
What?
>>
>>43708740
>GWM uses two handed weapons.
that are Heavy, so Versatile doesn't cut it.

>If you plan to use two handed weapons and have access to feats you will take this feat
Yes, and if you plan to use them then you have to build towards Strength, which has only one associated skill; invest significant money and possibly feats into heavy armor; and are in the position of melee which is the most dangerous in the game, and you lose all benefits if you need to use a shield and one-hander or a throwing weapon.

So it is that specific, actually. And it's better for Fighters than Paladins, but Fighters have strictly worse features all around.

Sharpshooter benefits from Dex and range, however it's much harder to get Advantage from range, which you need to activate the +10 damage. With Rangers and Rogues they potentially lose more damage from misses than they gain from the flat spike.

>Polearm master is used in conjunction with GWM
For some classes with fewer attacks and stronger opportunity attacks, PM is better on it's own. Especially when PM makes the GWM bonus action attack completely redundant. For Fighters with barebones reaction attacks and a higher potential to get a bonus action attack off of GWM, then the lower base damage from polearms means that PM isn't as important. GWS also benefits much more from greatswords and mauls for the reroll than polearms.

>Crossbow expert is used with sharpshooter
Crossbow expert also has a much lower base weapon damage and shorter range with using hand crossbows. It's mostly used by Rogues for the extra SA opportunity, who again, lose more from Sharpshooter misses, and only really consistently benefit from the ignoring of cover.

So the synergy is minimal here, but there if you have nothing else to spend it on. The best you're going to get from GWM or SS is from using Fighter, which means that you have the worst utility in the game in exchange for the opportunity to spend a Feat on decent damage.
>>
I made a new thread >>43709677
>>
>>43709655

>Quarterstaff
>one-handed
>Polearm mastery
>Shield

Technically allowed but no GM is ever going to allow that
>>
>>43709656
I mean to say "Yes they are a dangerous liability when played as a permanent Mr. Hyde"

Frankly I don't entirely agree with that anon, the occasional Mr. Hyde schtick can be fun and it's an interesting way to refluff the Barbarian. I just wanted to weigh in on the Berserker.
>>
>>43709719
If he allows feats he really doesn't have a choice, it's all 100% permitted by the rules. Sure he could pull rule 0 on it, but it's hardly the most abusive combo in the game and it's really not worth the hassle to prohibit that one edge case is it?
>>
>>43709655
>Quarterstaff and shield with Polearm Master
This... is absolutely brilliant. I thought of the idea before but I never thought to use it on a fighter with dueling. That early damage would be hella strong. Plus all of your reaction attacks when enemies move up to hit you (assuming you don't get swarmed by all of them in 1 round). I'd play it.
>>
>>43709771

It's more stupid looking than awesome

I guess with Shillelah it's more solid though
>>
>>43707318
howabout they all get an invite to a duke's birthday party and its a trap set by their previous victims
>>
>>43709719
Works RAI and RAW
>>
>Polearm Master bonus action attack works with quarterstaffs but not the rules-wise identical spears

What is this fucking bullshit?
>>
>>43709719
I'd allow it. It's far from the most broken thing you could pull out of a character build. Besides there are always better ways to deal with powerful builds rather than to just ban them.
>>
>>43707782
Barbarian starting gear doesn't even have armor and it weighs 81 lbs. 77 pounds if you use a greatsword and sacrifice having a bludgeoning weapon.

>Maul (10 Lbs)
>2 Handaxes (2 Lbs each)
>4 Javelins (2 Lbs each)
>An Explorer's Pack (59 lbs)
>(Backpack 5 lbs, Bedroll 7 lbs, Mess Kit 1 lb, Tinderbox 1 lb, 10 Torches 10 lbs, 10 days of rations 20 lbs, a waterskin 5 lbs, and 50 ft of hempen rope 10 lbs.)

A 16 strength barbarian, with no armor at all, is encumbered by their starting gear, without even getting gear from their background.

An Ouitlander also starts with a Staff (4 lbs if it's a Quarter), a set of Traveler's Clothes (4 Lbs), a Hunting Trap (25 lbs), a Belt Pouch (1 lb), and a trophy from an animal and 10 GP (1/5 lb).

An Outlander barbarian starts with 111-115 pounds of junk. I'd just drop that backpack and never pick it up again.
>>
>>43709840

Spears gotta suck m8

Nevermind that they should be d8/d10 versatile.

Hell they could even justify finesse.
>>
I'm not quite clear on the distinction between deities and primordials. I want to play a Tempest Cleric, but I don't want to worship an evil god like Umberlee or Talos. Are PCs allowed to worship primordials? Because I was thinking of having a sailor background cleric who worships Istishia.
>>
>>43709840
Pikes and Halberds are rules-wise identical, but pikes don't have the bonus action attack.
>>
>>43709906

I'm okay with 81 pounds of gear slowing you down especially if you don't have a modern style backpack that rests more weight on your hips.

I'd be very surprised if anyone can fight well with full armor and a full backpack worth of gear.

That's why your first action in most combats would be to drop your backpack and ready weapons.
>>
>>43708169
I'm literally playing a Hide themed barbarian doctor in my 5E party. Seriously. He's even a leatherworker. Name translates to jackal hidesmith.
>>
>>43710018

Does he smell like death because damn untanned hide is some stinky shit.
>>
>>43709913
>>43709925
RE: The pike, it weighs three times as much as any other polearm I guess. But the spear is actually LIGHTER THAN THE FUCKING STAFF.
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDS
>>
>>43709979
I hope you do the same with monsters
>>
>>43710117
Nah, this is only to mess with my players, like shit I'm going to spend hours checking if npcs can carry what they carry.
>>
>>43710046
He bathes like a normal person, but he does have 8 Cha and is very aware of how bad leatherworking smells. He chews mint and other herbs.
>>
>>43710117

Hell yes

Which is why goblins generally don't have shit for gear. Goblin or Ork Raiders basically have armor and a weapon or two and then a bag with some random gear and food.

Basically I assume that any goblin is basically carrying maybe 8-10 pounds of random shit on top of their weapons and armor and can't survive more than a day or two without foraging/hunting.
>>
>>43710149
Bro I feel you man. Like, who fucking cares about NPCs, it's the players who need to waste their time and suffer so I can win the game and beat them.
Thread posts: 414
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.