[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would be easier to conquer in the 40 thousandth year,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: 1430406786569.jpg (509KB, 990x1227px) Image search: [Google]
1430406786569.jpg
509KB, 990x1227px
What would be easier to conquer in the 40 thousandth year, Terra or Mars?
>>
>>43629074
Yes.
>>
>>43629074
Just call the tanks bad names, they'll all shut down because "muh macheen spear-it!"

Then you can have some swole niggas jump in and punch old robo-men to death.
>>
>>43629074
The god dwelling on Terra is crippled.
The one on Mars is merely slumbering.
>>
>>43629098
Then you meet the murderous tanks who don't take well to name calling.
>>
>>43629118
>fighting a tenth of the number of enemies isn't preferable to fighting all of them

Big whoop, angry tanks. Worst case is warp shittery in the angry tanks, then you get the inquisition going double-crazy to fuck up Mars.
>>
>>43629098
>>43629092
2 for Terra
>>43629117
>>43629092
2 for Mars

I expected a more definite answer
>>
>>43629074
Well Horus took Mars pretty convincingly by just letting them have their extra heresy.

Terra though, he struggled with.
>>
>>43629210
That was 10k prior, and the theoretical aggressors are not necessarily chaotic.
>>
Terra would be easier to reinforce, thanks to the astronomican.

That said, good luck trying to conquer the martian crypts. Not even the current residents have true control over mars.
>>
>>43629243
Wouldn't the difference between reinforcing Mars to reinforcing Terra be a couple hours more at the most? It would be a pretty negligible difference.
>>
>>43629135
Then the Cogboys decide to get dangerous. Everything is unleashed. All of the horrific stuff they've kept dormant is awaken, and all of the crazy stuff dating back to the Age of Strife is pointed in your direction. And those AIs haven't gotten friendlier since the HH. They're even more insane and bloodthirsty. Also that one tenth now has a personal vendetta against you. Because you just had to hurt a tank's feelings.
>>
>>43629329
Now the entirety of the Imperium turns against them, and Terra's Moon just blasts the fuck out of them.

They lose. Trust, love.
>>
>>43629383
But what if I insult the Moon?
>>
>>43629383
I'm pretty sure the Imperium would be willing to let it slide if it got to that point on Mars. The Imperium isn't that stupid to blow up Mars anyway. Besides how would they know? If something's trying to conquer Mars, it's probably trying to conquer Terra.
>>
>>43629432
The moon cares not for your feeble insults, for it is the moon.
>>
File: image.png (444KB, 400x585px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
444KB, 400x585px
>>43629455
What happens when something attacks the moon? Like wizards or giant stone soldiers?
>>
>>43629451
>I'm pretty sure the Imperium would be willing to let it slide if it got to that point on Mars.

No, they wouldn't, the Imperium is filled with psychotic fanatics.

>The Imperium isn't that stupid to blow up Mars anyway.

Yes, they are, the Imperium is filled with pants-on-head retarded fucksticks.

>Besides how would they know?

It's on Mars, not something on the outer-rim of the galaxy. The solar system is locked up fucking tight, everyone'll know in the system, which means Astropaths on Terra will tell everyone else.

>If something's trying to conquer Mars, it's probably trying to conquer Terra.

Probably, but maybe not. Even so, the Imperium would kill itself over stupid shit like Mars activating forbidden AI and shit.
>>
>>43629485
Well the Necrons did it once and it was not an invading force.

>>43629455
Tarkus would find a way.
>>
Reposted for:
>>43629522

OP, this all assumes you can somehow make it into the solar system, get through the jovian planets and their moons and bases and satellites (Especially getting around or through Titan.) Then you're looking down the combined barrels of Holy Terra AND Venerated Mars.

Now somehow, SOMEHOW, IF you have a force that isn't already starting it's death throes, you have a choice of two entirely different monsters.

One that has enough dakka to fill the night skies of the entire solar system with the light of their salvos at the push of a button and maintain this magnitude of firepower.

One that holds the combined strengths of every conceivable kind of Imperial aligned fighting force to exist since the dawn of the Imperium.

So you're giving us the question who is going to die first:
"Incalculable Firepower"
-vs-
"More plans, plots, strategies and tactics than you can ever effectively respond to at once."

>Alternatively both planets can say fuck it and you end up stuck in line at the nearest Administratum Office waiting to file your declaration of intent, declaration of war, registration of official designation, sovereignty, affiliation and then of course you need to pay the processing fees and the taxes associated with the declaration of sovereignty. Oh sorry you're in the wrong line. Yeah that's the wrong form. Where's the carbon copy? Did you fill it out in triplicate? Sorry we don't accept Credit Cards or Cash, your payment must be in money >order or cashiers check, personal checks will be declined. Sorry this line is now closed, the clerk died and their replacement is about an hour away. Our offices are now closed for the day, please return tomorrow for continued business.
>>
>>43629509
The Imperium isn't that stupid. Whatever could make Mars resort to that is something they'll let slide. They need Mars.
>>
>>43629522
Those were Oldcron ships, which were OP as hell. Aren't Newcron ships a bit toned down? Meaning if they tried that now they'd get vaporized well before getting anywhere close to Mars.
>>
>>43629551
They really -are- that stupid.

And so are the writers behind it.

Let that sink in.
>>
>>43629596
Ah, dang it! It's the writers' fault for some of the stupid.
>>
>>43629074
If you were close enough to either with enough manpower to make the attempt, it's safe to say you've already won.
>>
>>43629572
I am hardly up to date, but I believe they got back most of their capabilities, inertialess drives and all.

So theoretically it would be feasible.

Not to say they would, after all I don't think it was ever clarified whatever it was they did once on Mars.
>>
>>43629609
Only a little.
>>
>>43629074
>What would be easier to conquer in the 40 thousandth year, Terra or Mars?

Terra, but both of them could be nuked from orbit like any other planet.
>>
>>43629074
I don't think you could conquer either one in just one year.
>>
>>43629658
I still doubt the Imperium destroy Mars unless it couldn't be saved.
>>43629717
What is orbital defense?
>>
>>43629074

Mars is more fortified on the surface.

Terra is more fortified from space.

Keep in mind the entire Sol system is heavily space fortified, with Mars being right next to Terra, and Terra's moon having been turned into a giant weapon just to protect Terra. Also the Grey Knights are right next to Mars.
>>
Since this seems the most relevant thread to ask

Is there a map of the sol system? If not a map, can someone just go planet (and moons/space station) by planet and give me a rundown of what the current condition/fortification of each planet is?
>>
>>43631320
Older fluff says Mercury was turned into a giant generator world, due to its proximity to the sun (solar panels). Nothing about Venus is mentioned AFAIK.
Terra is essentially Coruscant from Star Wars, covered in hive cities mixed with stretches of desolate wasteland from Old Night, and secret fortresses (belonging to Imperial Adeptas like Assassin clans) dotting the landmasses. The sweeping majority of Terra's inhabitants work within the Palace's walls. Some artwork suggests there are still natural formations like mountains that survive around the Imperial Palace. As someone has said, Luna is a gigantic listening post/gun platform for defending Terra.
Mars was terraformed a long time ago to have an Earth-like atmosphere and environment, but it has since rescinded to the red dirt we know today. Deimos and Phobos are Forge Worlds, though their products don't seem to be common in the 41st millennium. Notably, the Mechanicus does not have complete control over Mars. There are still many myriad Chaos beings, possessed automata, and other Dark Age nightmares lurking about below the surface of the planet. The battle against them is likened to an (quite literally) underground war, much like has been suggested going on between closed doors at the very bottom of the Imperial Palace on Terra.
Jupiter (its moons) are Forge Worlds
Saturn is the sole territory of the Inquistion, particularly Titan, which is the Grey Knights' homeworld
Uranus has nothing but orbiting colonies
Neptune was once host to mutants and monsters, exterminated during the Great Crusade.
Pluto is a gigantic listening post for the Battlefleet Solar.
>>
>>43632392
>mfw I don't know my astronomy for moons so I didn't know Deimos and Phobos were actually in our solar system

How is it I know the approximate location of alien forge worlds like Gryphonne IV and Ryza but I wasn't aware that Deimos and Phobos are in our own neighborhood. AND I EVEN HAVE BOLTERS AND VEHICLES FROM THEM
>>
>>43629238
Except in this case and pretty much self demonstrating in all 40K material, 10K prior doesn't mean a degree of development that was inferior to 10K in the future.

in the 41st Millennium, shit is falling apart, and the level of technology is increasingly /inferior/ than it was earlier on, when tech was being rediscovered rapidly and the vast majority of resources weren't tied up fighting nearly a dozen different major factions, many nearing comparable power if not already there.

Basically, Mars and Terra were harder to conquer in the 31st millennium. Not easier.
>>
>>43632392
If I recall Jupiter is THE voidport for segmentum solar with Titan just being in the way
>>
>>43632392
Isn't the palace on Terra basically the size of England + most of western Europe?
>>
Mars was conquered by traitors in the H.

Terra did not.

Here is your answer.
>>
>>43636342
It spans the the area of the Himalaya's and reaches from one side of the earth, through the core, and out the other side.
>>
>>43632602
Ignorance is a virtue in the modern Imperium

To answer OP's question: I would argue that they're equal. Entirely, completely equal. I mean, not in the same ways are they difficult to attack: They're both fortified to all hell and have underground networks that are as extensive as they are deadly, but the main difference is the environment: Terra will be a bitch to destroy because it has the Imperial Palace which is quite literally one of the most well-fortified areas of the Imperium, and has weaponry enough to waste legions of Astartes, along with an entire fantatically loyal populace of humans that outnumber the populations of some hive worlds. And that's not taking into account the various military branches like the Custodes, the Assassin Temples, and so much else.

Mars on the other hand has less straight fortifications, and more difficult to destroy buildings that are underground. It may not have as many civilians, but it has a host of feral servitors, possessed machinery, and other vile creations that they actually have to fight themselves: letting whatever invasion force that lands on their doorstep take care of it is more of a favor to them than a hindrance. Then you have the Rust Stalker cohorts that will be constantly harassing you, an entire factory world turning its arts to the sole purpose of murdering you, and the weird, old esoteric technology they can bring to bear.

So, either way you're fucked. I mean, unless you have the biggest of all armies in the 40k setting at your back and are willing to get them all killed, you're boned.

I think even if all the Traitor Legions got together and invaded with a daemonic cohort alongside they wouldn't be able to do it. Not without help.
>>
Rather try my luck in the Eye of Terror
>>
>>43636427
Mars space defences are kinda shitty.

Remember when 3 Necron scout ships bypassed Mars fleets and space defences? They entered Mars atmosphere, and were only destroyed when they came to a full stop above Noctis Labyrinth?

Something like that wouldn't have happened on Terra.
>>
ok ok I'm pretty new to the setting cut me some slack but its a mars thread so I may as well ask my question here:

Are all tech priests born/trained on mars? If yes, how do they send out their priests to every other planet? If no, do martian born/trained priests look down on non martians?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.