[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All elves in your setting have been replaced by protoss. How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 27

File: Artanis_SC2_Art1.jpg (167KB, 550x815px) Image search: [Google]
Artanis_SC2_Art1.jpg
167KB, 550x815px
All elves in your setting have been replaced by protoss. How does this affect your campaign?
>>
I play OW, Eldar have stronger shields and that's it
>>
The setting just got a lot less generic. Psionic elves isn't new, but it's a more interesting flavour than downright tolkensien wood/high elves.
>>
Does this mean all those sixth world scholars that said psionics is just an imperfect understanding of magic were wrong after all?
>>
>>43623793
Everyone else is fucked.
>>
>>43623793
>no elves
Absolutely fuck-all.
>>
>>43623793
How do they eat without mouths?
>>
>>43623793

My setting is Science Fantasy, and the elves have a strong focus on psionics. It changes little.
>>
>>43623793
My setting has no elves, so I guess all it does is change in-universe fiction
>>
>>43623793
writing somehow gets worse
>>
>>43624124
Protoss are slugs, they eat with their feet.
>>
>>43624333
Does that mean that a protoss footjob is also a blowjob?
>>
>>43624124
Photosynthesis.
>>
>>43624333
Huh, in another thread a bit ago I think I read that they don't eat at all, but perform something similair to photosynthesis. Can you give me a source on what you said?

Might get the Field Manual and try to make a Starcraft campaign
>>
>>43623793
you mean besides no longer being pansies?

>>43624124
Photosynthesis

No, seriously, that's the actual lore
>>
>>43624396
I always assumed they fed psychically from stuff. Dark Protoss from the Void and normal Protoss from Auir.
>>
>>43624427
That would actually make more sense than what they've come up with. Photosynthesis is an incredibly inefficient way of consuming energy, it can't work on organisms more complex than plants.

Calorie density is the key to cognition, which is why the smartest animals tend to be at the top of the food chain; carnivores eat herbivores eat plants. To be as smart as they are and channel as much psychic phenomenon as they do, the protoss gastrointestinal system ought to look like an organic zero point energy reactor.
>>
nothing since we don't have elves.

>>43624427
>I always assumed they fed psychically from stuff. Dark Protoss from the Void and normal Protoss from Khala.

FTFY
>>
>>43623793
Political marriages between species have become slightly different kind of fun. Also there's a lot less halfbreeds running around.
>>
>>43624573
Do protoss even have multiple sexes if they are slugs?
>>
>>43623793
I don't know how three half-wit fighters and their wizard employer are going to go about constructing additional pylons, but I'm ready to find out!
>>
>>43624613
They are not slugs, that anon was bulshitting you. And they definitely do have separate sexes, there was already a matriarch in Brood War so even if you don't consider SC2 female protoss there is precedent.
>>
>>43624573
Nah, the halfbreeds just look different.
>>
>>43623793
Elves are essentially extinct Ancient Aliens style. Nothing much changes directly, except all the fey look a tad more Alien then usual, and the NotOrcs will need a complete redesign
>>
>>43624687
Do the 'toss have reproductive organs?
>>
>>43624801
They'd have to, they have different genders and such. I assume they reproduce sexually.

Wasn't there mention of a father and son or similar relation?
>>
>>43624855
Vorazun, the matriarch of the Dark Templar in Legacy of the Void, is the daughter of Raszagal, matriarch during Brood War.
>>
>>43624613
>>43624855
>>43624917
Protoss do have males and females, and concepts like brothers/sisters, mothers/fathers are familiar to them, so that implies sexual reproduction.

However, the Lore book that comes with Legacy of the Void's collectors edition states that the protoss do not have orifices of any kind, so the way they actually do the babymaking does evidently not involve any horizontal tango.

Maybe they do it like the Kroot, and deliver genetic data via skin? So sexytime would be backrubs for the toss.
That just leaves the question of how the babby is born.
>>
>>43624917
I didn't know that. Not getting Legacy of the Void due to no comp.

But thanks for the info.
>>
>>43625009
Budding maybe?
>>
>>43625009
>no penis
>no vagina
Why live?
>>
>>43625050
For Aiur obvs.
>>
>>43623793
The campaign ends because all players refuse to take part in the idiocy of arbitrarily retconning the entirety of elven existence in the setting.
>>
>>43625009
Maybe a temporary version of how Angler Fish mate. Or they get naked, embrace, and perform some complicated version of Karyogamy?
>>
>>43625050
Where we are going, there is no need for penors or vagoos.
Sexy backrubs, and amazing, psionic mindsex await!
>>
File: 2700.png (259KB, 950x450px) Image search: [Google]
2700.png
259KB, 950x450px
>>43625050
>>
>>43623793
Jokes on you, all my elves are already dead and/or zombified.

I'm sure that Atropus would've made an impact on them, though. Also, Father Llymic. Gotta love how he makes light just stop being a thing in the setting.
>>
How DO Protoss breed?
>>
>>43625197
Clearly sexually, but not via fucking.
The rest is up in the air, and I doubt Blizzard will shed any light on it.

The facts that we do know are as follows:
>Protoss have 2 genders.
>Prooss children exist.
>Protoss lack any orifices in their bodies.
>>
>>43623793
You just gave me an awesome idea, thank You oh OP!
>>
>>43625228
>>43625197
Cloning? They're certainly advanced enough to splice DNA from the two parents together.
>>
>>43625228
that pretty much leaves two options
a) some sort of osmosis
b) traumatic insemination
>>
>>43625228
I'm going to disregard the whole no orifices thing. That's stupid and dumb. It's like telling little kids that babies come from a stork that drops them down their parents' chimney. Protoss clearly have sexual organs because they reproduce sexually and that is that.
>>
>>43625228
Maybe there's a third birthing gender that we don't know about.
>>
>>43625009
Oh the Field manual is in the CE? How good is it? Is there enough information to use it for a Campaign/Setting?
>>
>>43625197
See>>43625080
Birthing probably invloves budding, or the formation of a fruiting body
>>
>>43625267
I doubt that their reproduction is technolgically assisted, as they basically regressed back into tribalism and stone age tech after the Xel Naga left.

>>43625269
Seeing how they gain nutrients via basically osmosis trough their skin I'm gonna go with that.
Now the matter is how the actual baby gets into the world.

>>43625285
You may disagree with it, but it is official canon just as is the fact that protoss are photosynthetic, and feed trough their skin.

>>43625288
Doubtful.

>>43625328
It is pretty neat, though the unit descriptions themselves are kinda too short imo. Just few paragraphs at best. The art is gorgeous though, and there are various appendix materials, including stuff about both the protoss and the zerg. That is where the "no orifices" thing is from.
>>
>>43625269
They could also do something like an archon merge. It's well established that protoss can transform their bodies into energy. Zealots use it as a combat technique. Maybe when a male and female protoss merge their essences, it can result in insemination.
>>
>>43623793
I end the campaign and start a new one.
>>
>>43625405
Doesn't explain what they were doing before they got hi-tech.
Remember, they were savages on Aiur for a very long time.
>>
>>43624427
>>43624516

It would actually be pretty neat if the Protoss ate the "essence" of food, rather than raw psychic stuff or sunlight.
>>
>>43625429
It isn't a technologically assisted phenomenon, it's a psionic one.

And there's no telling what the protoss were like prior to their uplift.

>>43625378
>You may disagree with it, but it is official canon
Yeah, no. There is no such thing as official canon where Blizzard is concerned, so long as all continuity is fluid. Legacy of the Void just took a huge, steaming shit all over SC/BW's canon. Canon doesn't mean a goddamn thing.
>>
>>43623793
None at all. Rest of the races got fed up with elves. Living forever, knowing great and crazy knowledge, naturally gifted with magic and they go and waste it on petty things to avoid manual labor and further useless research while they could have made world peace and cured the sick. massive armies formed and the elves being idiots and pet themselves into natural pockets of seclusion. They were surrounded and seperated before the first blades of war were even forged. elves are dead and gone, their half elf offspring are magic slaves working for the betterment of all kinds, and their hoarded knowledge is available and taught to all with the advent of printed paper and a moderated education system.
>>
>>43625426
In a different seeing? Because OP's statement concerned the setting, not your campaign.
>>
>>43624491
>Calorie density is the key to cognition, which is why the smartest animals tend to be at the top of the food chain; carnivores eat herbivores eat plants. To be as smart as they are and channel as much psychic phenomenon as they do, the protoss gastrointestinal system ought to look like an organic zero point energy reactor.

They weren't described as having "Purity of Form" for nothing, anon. The Protoss are effectively the most advanced species in the galaxy.
>>
File: 1377546797342.jpg (12KB, 251x206px) Image search: [Google]
1377546797342.jpg
12KB, 251x206px
>>43625009
>>43625029
>>43625050

Maybe the baby gestates in a Khaydarin crystal?
>>
>>43625560
Again, you may disagree, but it is canon as far as blizzard is concerned.
I don't like it either, but the fact is that Blizzard has been basically rebooting Starcraft since Wings of Liberty, with a completely new tone and story, and only using SC/BW as a source material that they can contradict whenever they themselves see fit.

SC2 is not a proper sequel to Brood War story wise, as sad it is.
>>
>>43625685
I could get behind this. It explains why you can't have more units without pylons.
> WE NEED MORE WARRIORS!
> BUILD SOME FUCKING SPACE EGGS TO HATCH THEM!
>>
>>43625685
If they have, in their current form, always been able to Transform into energy as another anon upthread mentioned, maybe a female and male 'toss get into their energy states, merge a bit essence of both into another energy being, help it into physical form and then get back themselves. Or something.
Probably a pretty stupid idea, but eh. Putting it out anyways
>>
>>43625081
>psionic mindsex
Talk about a mind fuck.
>>
>>43626359
Since >>43624687 posted an asari as an example of what a half-protoss might look like, I'm imagining protoss sex as basically the Liara romance option from Mass Effect.
>>
>>43626359
Here is a crazy thought, but what if the female protoss shed "seeds" from their skin after the whole sexy backrub thing, and those seeds are planted, and from them, babby protoss are born, with the nerve cords being sorta roots for them as they grow?
>>
>>43624124
They insert pylons inside their anuses.
>>
>>43626643
But they have no anuses.
>>
>>43625065
Underrated post.
>>
>>43626601
That could work. They are photosynthetic after all.
>>
>>43625197
>>43625228
>>43625269
Psiblades, Anon.
Psiblades.

Like with snails, except they have defined genders.

And you thought that white part was ethereal energy or some dumb shit.
>>
>>43626702
>the basic protoss warrior unit uses a laser penis to fight bugs

I don't care what anyone says, this is my canon now.
>>
>>43626702
>They're making you explode from the inside with burning blades of jizz
>Sometimes they fire it at you from afar

Protoss are Bydo given a few million years to evolve a civilization.
>>
>>43623793
The "Elven" kingdom gets easily conquered and the Protoss are wiped out without Kerrigan to save them.
>>
>>43623793
Lots of mixed families in my setting, things are getting akward.

>Berac Skullcleaver is one of the most succesful monster slayers in the bleeding mountains and single father
>Yet he find himself in a completely new challenge as one day his four year old daughter is turned into a mouthless alien
>Hijinks ensue as a dorky human scholar moves in to study the case, much to Berac's disdain
>>
>>43624674
Actually it Dark Templar that are matriarchal.
>>
>>43629096
That poor girl will never know the joy of sucking dick.
>>
>>43623793
>How does this affect your campaign?
Faggot McFaggotson That Player makes a Warlock Contract with Amon. Nothing else changes.
>>
I would have used the Githzari for this myself
>>
>>43629224
Githrazi didn't just have a vidya come out.
>>
>>43629245
No I mean as the ones to be swapped with protoss
>>
>>43629334
Oh. Maybe. Now that the Tal'darim are basically protoss drow, the elf analogue seems stronger.
>>
>>43623793
Seeing how elves are extinct in my campaign, absolutely nothing happens.
>>
>>43624124 >>43624491
Photosynthesis confirmed.
Thread relevant(?): it has some extremely BS but "you tried" numbers on how that'd work out
http://gamelore.tumblr.com/post/38693415201/protoss-physiology
>>
>>43623793
>Elves are extinct
>Protoss are extinct
I guess the ruins and suchlike are different?
>>
Ok I'm just going to post this for the whole thread

Protoss photosynthesis doesn't work like plant photosynthesis, protoss obsorb a wide range of the EM spectrum up to and including cosmic background radiation and get nutriants from osmossis
>>
>>43629614
Sounds like the organic zero point reactor idea holds weight to it then
>>
>>43629500
Glowy-er, maybe. Higher chance of disintegration than regular elf ruins.
>>
>>43624362
*protosssynthesis
>>
>>43629614
So the difference is.......? Just what wavelengths they take in? I mean obviously they're not green so it's not chlorophyll. I guess I'm curious what point you thought you were making.
>>
>>43625197
However they do it, they will probably start doing alot of it now that they basically have to rebuild their race following the fall of Aiur, the destruction of Shakuras, and Amon fucking with the Khala.

Artanis better have gotten a harem end
>>
>>43630379
Selendis, Vorazun and Rohana. At the same time.
>>
>>43629727
He means that they're more efficient in drawing energy since its not limited to solar power, but a whole spectrum of pseudo-sci-fi bullshit.

As for reproduction - There are no Protoss children. They're effectively born adults. And since Protoss can manifest themselves as energy constructs, this brings to mind that maybe they're incubated from inside a Pylon from the energies of a male and female protoss and finally emerge as a full grown adult when they can 'stabilize' their own energy by themselves.
>>
>>43630410
There are other people who said it higher up but you're the most recent so replying to you.

Like 80% sure protoss didn't have the crystals the entire time they existed. 100% certain they aren't used in reproduction. It does make sense, but the various books have basically ruled that entirely out without actually saying anything on the subject explicitly.

I am 100% (deez percents right) behind trying to make them make sense, but they have sexual dimorphism...thus they're a sexual species...that doesn't have orifices at all because....reasons.
>>
File: Sieppaa.png (194KB, 334x429px) Image search: [Google]
Sieppaa.png
194KB, 334x429px
>>43630410
>there are no protoss children.
>they're effectively born adults.

Source of fuck off.
The Reclamation animation clearly showcases a Protoss family, with a child, and a mother and a father.
Pic related.
>>
>>43630477
>that doesn't have orifices at all because....reasons.
Because they are aliens.

It has been established in the fluff that their skin is extremely complex, and can absorb nutrients etc trough it. It is not much of a stretch to assume that they pass their genes during sexy times that way as well.

The real question is how are protoss babbies born.
>>
>>43624333
That's Andalites.
>>
>>43630528
I still prefer the psychic energy fusion sex idea, myself.
>>
>>43630389
Fuck Rohana, she a bitch.

My boy Artanis knows better than to stick his blue dick in crazy.
>>
>>43630410
>And since Protoss can manifest themselves as energy constructs, this brings to mind that maybe they're incubated from inside a Pylon from the energies of a male and female protoss and finally emerge as a full grown adult when they can 'stabilize' their own energy by themselves.

Cut off the part about being incubated within a Pylon and its plausible that a female toss is incubating a Baby Toss within her but not as a fetus - but as a blob of energy
>>
>>43630610
He'll fuck the crazy out of her. Have faith in your boy.
>>
Regardless of whether it's good or bad, additional pylons must be constructed.
>>
File: BlackVulcan.jpg (18KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
BlackVulcan.jpg
18KB, 280x210px
>>43630825
I'm constructing a pylon right now.
>>
What purpose does a Pylon have anyways?

Are they something like servers for the Khala network or something?
>>
>>43630872
basically power generators for buildings and allow for direct warping of troops.
>>
>>43630872
They power structures.
>>
>>43630872
>>43630913
>>43630914
All of these.
>>
>>43629727
It means that they're takeing in more that 100x more power
>>43630872
It's a power structure but also a kala relay so basically yeah
>>
>>43630545
This people are super confused about protoss biology and seem to be mixing them up with namekians and andalites
Christ I'm a nerd
>>
So what happens now /tg/?

Are all Protoss babby going to be nerve-circumcised at birth now? Or with Amon dead will there be a movement to rebuild the Khala with the next generation?
>>
>>43631299
>people are super confused about protoss biology
Only because protoss biology is super confusing.
>>
File: earth pride korprulu wide.jpg (37KB, 600x289px) Image search: [Google]
earth pride korprulu wide.jpg
37KB, 600x289px
>>43631478
Wars have been fought over less, anon. And history is doomed to repeat.

I'm incredibly excited to never see that plot thread exploited.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>43623793
Original lore was they nourish themselves with energy from Kaydarin crystals, which is why you need pylons to support troop pop as well as buildings.
>>
>>43631478
The Khala might be rebuilt with the psi matrix, although it's unlikely for a long time.

The whole point of the khala was to stop a civil war and prevent the clans from tearing each other to shreds. With the recent events, the Khala isn't really necessary.
>>
I'll just leave this here.

>>>/aco/185218
>>
>>43631561
No it wasn't photosynthesis is sc1
>>
>>43631478
>>43631579

Good question, I would wager they start rebuilding the Khala, which inevitably leads to ANOTHER Schism among the Protoss. The Protoss, though it's easy to forget because of Executor UNITY MCUNION FACE, are all HOT BLOODED as fuck, and generally need some way/means to channel that HOT BLOODEDness or they start murderfucking each other. That was the point of the Khala, as well as the Templar Brotherhood and the Caste System. It allowed the protoss to channel how fucking ALL READY ALL THE TIME they were into productive channels, while receiving support and positive reinforcement from their fellow 'toss.

>>43631621
Nigger I have the manual around here somewhere, I am almost certain it says they received nourishment from the Kaydarin crystals.
>>
>>43631630
By all means
>>
>>43625104
1000 years is pretty old for a Protoss
>>
>>43631684
I can;t, I have work soon and i'm too fucking lazy to get up. I'll concede to you. But man I could've sworn... oh well. It doesn't matter because Blizzard gives 0 fucks about it's past writing.
>>
>>43631751
>Blizzard gives 0 fucks about it's past writing
For truth. There was some grade A worldbuilding in the StarCraft manual and all of it just got thrown right the hell out when StarCraft II came around.
>>
File: 1416782973862.png (72KB, 286x301px) Image search: [Google]
1416782973862.png
72KB, 286x301px
>>43632251
>>
I just sat through an hour load of LOV cutscenes and I still have no fucking clue what Amon's deal is.

So space manatees die and reborn constantly with the universe and he hates this... why? I still have no idea why he's so butthurt about everything.

Only anti race ressurection angst I've seen before is from Wakfu from Quilby, but at least he had the excuse of being the unique snowflake that remembers his past lives. Amon is just normal Xelnaga and butthurt for some reason?
>>
>>43633298
It's never elaborated on. He just seems to have decided that he didn't want to be a space manatee, anymore, so he was going to uplift his own purity of form and purity of essence and use them to make a physical body to house his consciousness in this dimension. No explanation is ever given for why this is advantageous, since he already seems to be pretty godlike.

The whole eternal cycle thing is such incredible bullshit, anyway. So, somehow, we're supposed to believe that the incomprehensibly long life of the universe - not the galaxy, the UNIVERSE - is the xel'naga's gestational period, beginning with the insemination of all life in that universe by the xel'naga, the course of evolution on an incalculably large number of worlds until, eventually, two separate species evolve - on their own, without any interference - to represent the incredibly arbitrary criteria of purity of form and purity of essence.

Then, somehow, those species find their way to the warp rift that the xel'naga came from and - what, ascend in their billions to become new xel'naga?

Which, by the way, can be either a space manatee like Amon and Ouros, or a fiery angel like Kerrigan.

And then the cycle starts over again?

That's not just circuitous, that's downright labyrinthine. It doesn't even make sense in context. And why the fucking hell does the sci-fi franchise need a fantasy trope like elder gods warring over creation?

The whole Amon arc just left me enraged. Thank God the mission design was enjoyable, at least, because I might've legitimately lost my shit, otherwise. As it is, I can't even bring myself to finish the epilogue. After all this other bullshit, fiery angel xel'naga Kerrigan is a bridge too far.
>>
I'm confused as to how Karrigan even became Xel'naga. Even with Ouros feeding her his life energy she's just Pure of Essence. Where did the Purity of Form come enter the equation there? When that cutscene began I honestly though Kerrigan and Artanis were gonna do the fusion dance to form the next Xel'naga. AT least that would have made sense
>>
>>43633450
It's Phoenix Force Kerrigan
>>
>>43633985

She was a fucking potent psyker after the infestation and the Xel Naga artifact probably force fed her a lot psionic energy that awoke when she becomes the QoB again
>>
>>43634240
But Ouros looks at Artanis when commenting on the Purity of Form. In addition we also have him comment that both of them made it there. Plus Artanis was needed to open the gates to the Xel'naga ealier. All of that suggests that they go full archon.
>>
>>43634282
They didn't want to sully their pure zerg waifu with protoss dick.

Actually, a more inspired choice would've been to have Rohana insist on merging with Kerrigan, since Artanis' leadership was too important to the unified protoss race and she didn't really have a place in it with the end of the khala and caste system.

Which is clearly why it didn't happen.
>>
>>43634325
No, Rohana really isn't a forward thinker like that. She is grossed about humans possessing mouths for cripes sake, do you think she will just offer to fuse with bug hitler?
>>
>>43634359
She has an ax to grind against Amon, I think she'd be prepared to do whatever it takes to ensure his destruction.
>>
I liked the lore better when the xel'naga were dead because the zerg fucking ate them.

The Overmind did nothing wrong.
>>
>>43634387
By that logic, every protoss would be lining up to fuse with kerrigan pussy, and that doesn't make a lick of sense.

More sensible thing would be to just be done without the epilogue or both Kerrigan and Artanis shoot space laser to obliterate Amon.

Or, thirdly they just fuck off and invent something else to make amon permabanned. With the most of the Xelnaga dead, Zeratul's prophesy was already starting to fall apart, might as well go full grimdark hopeless where they need to find a completely different way to seal Amon. Hell, they could've self destructed the hedron or something for the destruction. Or Artanis sacrifices himself like Tassadar did.

Jesus, the plot could've gone everywhere.
>>
>>43634453
This was what I'd hoping they'd do, subvert the prophecy shit with the prophecy being btfo so they have to come up with their own solution which involves macguyvering protoss tech and zerg bioshit together with the keystone to make a giant fuck you laser

Also did anyone else get really fucking mad at the laziness of names? SOLARITE, BLOOD CRYSTALS, AKDJSBSJDJS
>>
>>43623793
Given the intensity with which elves were sexualized in my campaign, this change makes it substantially less fun. Unless "YOU NEED MORE PYLONS" is now just a euphemism for something ;)
>>
>>43634521
I was fine with solarite since it's used for making a miniature sun. My problem was that EVERY SIDE MISSION involved collecting solarite. I thought these things were rare? why the fuck is solarite everywhere?
>>
File: likefeelsintherain.png (465KB, 680x762px) Image search: [Google]
likefeelsintherain.png
465KB, 680x762px
>you'll never be one with the Khala
>you'll never feel the glory of combining thought and action with your Templar brothers on the battlefield
>you'll never march against the Swarm with phaseblades slicing through chitin and biomass in a whirlwind of righteous fury
>you'll never find a loving, dutiful wife who gives you beautiful children whose voices in your mind give you further clarity and discipline
>you'll never give your life for Aiur
>>
>>43633985
>>43634240
>>43634282
>>43634325
>>43634359
>>43634387
>>43634453
>>43634521
Sadly, the entire Epilogue to Legacy of the Void makes perfect sense, when you consider they wanted to make an ending for the series that was clean enough to establish future games there, especially since there's still that rabid fanbase demanding a starcraft mmo.

And the fact that last year Blizzard cancelled another mmo they were working on.

And MMOs, especially ones that pretend they have a huge overarching story, thrive on the concept of "Oh my god, this character who vanished forever is returned, and you get to team up with her husbando to save her in this high end dungeon/raid!"
>>
>>43625065
Very underrated post.
>>
>>43634693
Being clean is terrible for establishing future games though. Basically every single conflict has been resolved into neutral state at this point. Zerg being assholes or Taldarim being assholes are the only possible avenue now.

I mean, wrath of the lich king had hype because of the cliffhanger of WC3.
>>
>>43634761
If they wanted to do a Starcraft MMO, which I honestly admit I would play because I'm a shill for Blizzard, then hype isn't necessarily required from the plot itself. People would be hyped for hype's sake. Really, you can play it safe and get the same results as taking risks, so why take the risk at all when you can just invent a reason for players to slap the shit of asshole A and asshole B?
>>
>>43634761
Considering that the entire story takes place within the korprulu sector, which is only a fraction of the galaxy, there's plenty of room for new stuff to happen.

Maybe while humans, zerg, and protoss were fucking around with the xel'naga shit was happening back on earth, and that'll show up in the next trilogy.

Meanwhile back on Terra, the Earth and its surrounding systems have been unified under the hand of an incredibly powerful immortal psionic human. Giant legions of genetically-mondified super soldiers under the command of even stronger beings, said to be intentionally imperfect clones of the leader of Terra, are reconquering the stars, including the Koprulu sector...
>>
>>43634855
That's the kind of hubris that wrecks companies. WoW lost so many people during Pandaria, even if it's still a cash cow.

Currently Blizzard has a lot of flack for their financial handling of games so the last thing they need to do is make the content even more shitty.
>>
>>43635017
Flak from who? Everyone thought Hearthstone would fail, now it makes them like two million a month.
>>
>>43635034
Overwatch and Diablo 3 has gotten flak for the business model.
>>
>>43623793
Doesn't that make the Protoss the lewdest race in the setting?
>>
>>43635067
>Protoss are quick to detect unity.jpg
>>
>>43635060

What's Overwatch's business model?
>>
>>43635060
>Overwatch
Oh no! Someone's actually asking you to BUY A FUCKING GAME AND GET EVERYTHING instead of putting characters behind a paywall/DLC!
>>
>>43634855
Of World of StarCraft happens, what would the playable races be? Just Terran, Protos & Zerg? What about Hybrids & others? I don't think that they have as much diversity as 40k there.
>>
>>43625065
EXTREMELY underrated post.
>>
Where the sexy Protoss at?
>>
>>43635382
I don't even know what a playable Zerg character would look like. Like, put aside character creation, what would classes be?
>>
>>43625476
>they eat prana
Protoss confirmed for very, very advanced Hindu.
>>
>>43635483
No classes. Start as a larva, disregard bitches, acquire biomass. Infest shit, get swole.
>>
>>43635067
>THE MERGING IS COMPLETE
>all half-elves are now archons

Welp.
>>
File: 1417218479498.gif (3MB, 375x346px) Image search: [Google]
1417218479498.gif
3MB, 375x346px
>>43635625
It's very possible. I mean, their psychic abilities already let them do crazy bullshit, why not suck prana/mana/chi/orenda/od from the void?

>>43635634
>starting zone as some shitty larva, eventually become ultralisk
>mfw
>>
>>43635483

Primal Zerg, classless system

Kill Mobs, Acquire Essence.

Instead of phat loot, raid bosses have a chance to drop genetic sequences
>>
>>43635654
POWER OVERWHELMING
>>
>>43635676
Sounds like a good idea to me. Instead of loot you get dgenetics and biomass, instead of exp you get essence
>>
File: 1401342514081.jpg (121KB, 352x338px) Image search: [Google]
1401342514081.jpg
121KB, 352x338px
>>43635676
>>43635696
>mfw intentionally ganking low-level female protoss for their sweet, sweet essence
>>
>>43635676
>primal Zerg
>essence
pls no
>>
My setting doesn't have Elves - life goes on as normal.
>>
>>43635900
ESSENCE ESSENCE ESSENCE ESSENCE ACQUIRE ESSENCE TO FIX GIMPY TREX ARM ESSENCE
>>
>>43635103
You buy the game and get the game. Then they sell you shit so you can play the game.
>>
File: CTV1kP-UsAAzTQP.png (191KB, 600x617px) Image search: [Google]
CTV1kP-UsAAzTQP.png
191KB, 600x617px
>>43635970
>>
>>43623793
Are we including dark elves? Because that's like 2.
>>
File: Dehaka_SC2-HotS_Story1.jpg (81KB, 800x564px) Image search: [Google]
Dehaka_SC2-HotS_Story1.jpg
81KB, 800x564px
>>43635900
>saying no to essence
>ever
>mfw
>>
>>43636047
that left hand on the right is really fucked up.
>>
>>43636066
You see that stump under his left mandible? That's what's left of his other little arm.

It's not that Dehaka has one normal arm and one fugged up arm, it's that his particular breed of primal zerg has 4 arms (2 big and 2 little), but Dehaka's maimed from a lifetime of survival.
>>
>>43624124
Seconding the energy thing. I swear that was part of the SC1 lore, although that may have changed.

Regardless of whether its their only source of energy, High Templar draw energy from their psychic collective and Dark Templar cut their head-tails off and draw from space. That used to be a big deal, but then in SC1 the Zerg fucked up both their home planets and now they work together; some of the protoss units have gold armour and the others have silver armour.
>>
>>43636148
And then SC2 fucked their entire race up an there are also spiky red Sith Protoss and protossminators.
>>
>>43636239
Implying the Space ISIS aren't the best
>>
>>43636247
Conehead is pretty great, but they're not very Protoss-y as a faction.
>>
>>43636255
>Space Satan betrayed us
>our tradition demands that betrayal must be avenged or face is lost
>therefore, we must kill Space Satan or it'd be a damn shamefur display
>>
>>43636255
No they aren't, extremist protoss conservatives would be better instead of 'toss death cult.
>>
>>43636267
The conservatives are ded, though.
I could see a religious Protoss faction, even one dedicated to Space Satan as creator (preserving the plot outline), but they went quite overboard. I'd prefer Fremen instead of Sith.
>>
>>43636259
I love that their justification for turning on Aemon is "he fucked with us now we gotta go kill his ass". Absolutely no concern about morality or the fate of the universe, just that murder tradition demands it.
>>
>>43636286
True, the conservatards all died with the Judicator when he went full retard didn't they?
>>
>>43636294
The player personally kills like half the Judicator caste in SC1.
>>
>>43636288
It's even better when you realize it's probably Amon that shaped those traditions.
>>
>>43636294
>when he went full retard
Aldaris was right, though. The problem is no one believed him.
>>
>>43623793
Ohhhh noooo

everything is 145% more gay now

god damn it
>>
>>43636315
He was right but instead of telling anyone he has an armed insurrection
>>
>>43636400
Not like anyone else was going to listen to him. The Matriarch was already infested, meaning turning to any DT was out. Raynor was too busy mirin' Kerrigan to envision betrayal, and Artanis wasn't going to act if Zeratul and Raynor didn't. Plus people still remembered that he was wrong about Tassadar. It's a wonder he managed to gather troops to start with.
>>
>>43635976

What do you mean with the second part? Is it subscription like WoW?
>>
>>43636294
The Judicators fought twice, the first time against their own and the second against Kerrigan.

Protoss are scattered enough no single tribe could be wiped out though.
>>
>>43629379
Githzerai and Githyanki, son.

Replace Xel'Naga with Illithids, Amon with some ancient Aboleth, Zergs with Beholder/Neogi coalition and you can go Spelljamming.
>>
>>43624645
This
>>
>>43636002
Tal'darim are Dark Elves, Nerazim are Wood Elves, Templar are High Elves.
>>
>>43636096
You find his big arm when you kill the primal Zerg leaders.
>>
>>43635382
>Space of StarCraft
FIFY
>>
>>43635483
Either primal Zerg, or lesser Brood Mothers
>>
>>43623793
It's not rape if it's a protoss.
>>
>>43637941
You can try and rape a protoss. I don't know how well that's going to work out for you, though.
>>
File: Explain further.png (52KB, 180x240px) Image search: [Google]
Explain further.png
52KB, 180x240px
>>43635625
>eat prana
Well now I'm reminded of Saber's 2nd H-scene. I never thought /tg/ could do that.
>>
You know whats weird? Zeratul has nipples.

Why is it weird, well assume that mean the Protoss have nipples. For what purpose they don't have mouths. I guess that's just their version of appendix.
>>
Playing SC2 protoss campaign right now, finished Shakuras missions, Artanis is a badass.
>>
File: Adept_SC2-LotV_Story1.png (454KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Adept_SC2-LotV_Story1.png
454KB, 500x500px
>>43640303
>Zeratul has nipples.
Makes sense. Vorazun and Rohana are both pretty flat, but Selendis and Lasarra wear pretty curvaceous armor. Protoss do canonically have breasts.
>>
>>43640545
Maybe Vorazun and Rohana Photosynthesize less?

Perhaps their weight is directly related to how much exercise they get and how much clothing covers their skin?

So Protoss nudists are really fat by default.
>>
>>43633298
He is an INCREDIBLY one dimensional bland villain, he has no real motivation apart from "I SHOULD BE IN CHARGE OF EVERYTHING"

He lives in the shadow realm of the void and has shadow void threshers and monster hybrids and is "the ancient evil" but he literally has no motivations other than "im evil!"
>>
File: darkseid.jpg (187KB, 640x746px) Image search: [Google]
darkseid.jpg
187KB, 640x746px
>>43640842
So he's Darkseid only not as well written?
>>
It's eberron so they turn from hedonistic junkies to zealous pylon junkies?
>>
>>43640545
Why though? They have no mouths
>>
>>43640933
Vestigial organs from before their uplift. Sexy vestigial organs.
>>
>>43640867
Not well written at all, he just kinda shows up outta nowhere, mentioned he is just the universes most ancient evil and the prophecy said he would come, and then is just left to be "totally evil"
>>
>>43640933
They absorb nutrients through their skin, maybe they spray milk on their young?
>>
>>43641243
Breast bukkake?
>>
>>43640902
Scary.

>>43641243
Darn. Protoss biology is crazy.
>>
>>43631551
Reminder that stukov died a heroes death and was never revived and infested.
suggesting so is heresy.
>>
>>43625076
The campaign continues when it comes to light that the ELVES THEMSELVES find this highly perturbing, and it wasn't so much an arbitrary retcon as HOLY FUCK, ERRYONE WITH POINTED EARS JUST MUTATED OVERNIGHT WITH NO SAVING THROWS!
>>
>>43641844
But my husband said he killed him!
>>
Protoss are like 12 feet tall super strong psychics with reality bending technology. They'll probably do fine.
>>
File: GO HOME XENO SCUM.png (270KB, 602x404px) Image search: [Google]
GO HOME XENO SCUM.png
270KB, 602x404px
>>43634944
>kerrigan's head being paraded on a pike through the streets of augustgrad
>>
>>43642729
helena pls.
>>
File: 1274423384698.png (146KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1274423384698.png
146KB, 1000x1000px
>>43625104
Wish Jo would do /tg/ porn again.
>>
>>43643626
Girls kissing girls? But that's heresy!
>>
>>43623793
I don't know what protoss are, so I just play them like elves
>>
>>43624491
Exactly as >>43625611 said, Protoss were DESIGNED by Xel'nagas or Amon, and that's why their photosynthesis works. They are not the product of natural evolution; their bodies are perfect, optimal.
>>
>>43643793
Yeah basically this idk why everyone needs to categorize every race as like elves orcs or dwarfs. Don't just assume
>>
>>43643793
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Protoss
>>
>>43640842
From what I gathered, he didn't want to be enslaved to the cycle any longer, and wanted to put an end to it.
>>
Legit spoilers here for those who haven't played the game yet.
Fenix returns as a Purifier robot, and he is bloody awesome. You can even drop him onto the battlefield, where he wrecks some serious shit.
Well, technically, he isn't Fenix, he is a robot with the personality, and memories of Fenix, and over the course of the game, he struggles to come to terms with his existence.
>>
>>43625378
>>43625009
We know that some protoss are "female" and some others are "male", but we don't know if they reproduce sexually (and I never heard of a protoss child anywhere). It looks possible that protoss genders are just a social thing and that protoss simply do not reproduce. That would explain their inevitable demographic decline.
>>
>>43644752
Fucking bullshit. Just let Fenix RIP in peace, already.
>>
>>43623793
as long as we get Alarak everything will be fine
>this ship is too bright. It hurts my eyes
>>
>>43644767
Except as >>43624917 has already stated, they canonically have mothers and fathers so they clearly reproduce.
>>
>>43644726

So why didn't he just kill himself?
>>
>>43644776
Spoilers senpai.
He is legit awesome though. One of the best things in the game imo, which is something I was really surprised by.

>>43644808
Why kill yourself when you start doing your own spesh conquest, with blackjack and hookers.
>>
>>43644797
Okay, if we go by LoV's additions. However, in Brood War, Vorazun didn't exist yet.
>>
>>43644794
>this ship is too bright
>everyone is so loud
>why won't Artanis shut up about unity?
>my eyes hurt
>I wish I was at home executing underlings
>>
>>43644794
Man that guy has an amazing voice. I could listen to him be snide and arrogant all day.

>>43644834
The fact that the protoss age and that some are younger than others, was canon in Brood War already, and indicates some form of reproduction.
>>
>>43644834
Absence of proof is not proof of absence. By your logic, there are no Terran children, either, because we never see any.
>>
>>43644726
Nigga thats not "what you gathered" that's literally what he said, multiple fucking times. And its still meaningless and explains nothing.

Why does he think the cycle is corrupt? Why does he think he is "enslaved" to it despite the fact he seems to already "exist" and does not need Purity of Essence and Purity of Form to "birth" him. Why is is superior host body made up of Protoss and Overmind bits just like the hybrids are fusions of Protoss and Zerg? Isn't that just what the cycle dictates happen anyway? Duran says that when his physical form was killed he was banished to the Void, same thing happens to Amon. So where are the Void forms of all the other dead Xel'naga we see on their homewold? If they were permakill in the Void like Stukov did to Duran why didn't they also kill off Ouros since they had him prisoner anyway?

None of this shit makes sense
>>
>>43644868
No, because I didn't say I proved anything. I just gave a possible interpretation, a plausible answer, without excluding the others.

>>43644862
>The fact that the protoss age and that some are younger than others, was canon in Brood War already
Really? Could you tell me more about that?
>>
>>43644888
Artanis was introduced as a young preator in BW.
>>
>>43644885
Amon has like one line in the final epilogue mission where he says that he was forced to ascend so maybe he's not happy about it? Doesn't matter, he's a cookie-cutter villain with a cookie-cutter motivation. Sucks all the way through.
>>
>>43644902
Wasn't Artanis the Executor in Vanilla SC?
Why would he get demoted to Praetor?
>>
>>43644902
"young praetor" can mean that he was named praetor recently, without telling anything about his age as an individual
>>
>>43644902
Also, ages are given for Tassadar, Fenix and Aldaris in the StarCraft manual. My recollection is that Fenix was only three or four hundred years old, while Aldaris was close to a thousand.
>>
>>43644913
We do not know if Prators is a lower rank than an Excecutor in protoss society.
>>
>>43644945
Executor was held by Tassadar, who effectively took command of everyone when he showed up.
By contrast, Praetor was held by Fenix, who deferred to the player.
>>
>>43644913
Judicators were probably mad butthurt about what happened in SC1? I mean he did run off to help Tassadar use his filthy Twilight mind-magic and even then didn't recover Aiur
>>
File: derpling.jpg (7KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
derpling.jpg
7KB, 229x220px
>>43644848
laughingbanelings.jpg
10/10 post
>>
File: Alarak_BlizzCon_Art2.jpg (48KB, 433x440px) Image search: [Google]
Alarak_BlizzCon_Art2.jpg
48KB, 433x440px
>>43644848

Based on his looks, I expected him to be a total edgelord, but he ended up being surprisingly mirthful and entertaining character.
>>
>>43645007
I think that everyone agrees he's the best character in LoV, maybe along with Talandar
>>
>>43645007
Even his dickishness isn't him being edgy just honest to god cynical about how things work
>>
>>43645021
I kinda like Karax
>>
>>43645049
You mean Dr. Octoprotoss?
>>
>>43634434
Yes.
>>
>>43645049
He's a bro.
The only thing I don't like about him is that weird "beard" he has. It looks dumb.
>>
>>43645060
Yeah, he's a Protoss and manages to have a neck beard
>>
>>43645049
I personally think Karax doesn't need all of that Solarite to power your ship, and instead just smokes it in the engine room between missions and that's why he has that tooth beard thing
>>
>>43645073
I agree. His beard made him unlikable to me since the begining. Happily, I found out later that he's in fact interesting, but this beard made that difficult. I mean, it's stupid, no other protoss has similar appendages, it just looks TOO anthropomorphic - and I hate anthropomorphism.
>>
>>43645104
Now I want a picture of Karax blazing on some Solarite.
>>
Dragoons and Reavers are super awesome in the campaign.
God damn I love using them.
Them combined with a bunch of Centurions to stun foes, that try to get into melee, and a couple of Ascendants to fling their red orbs of doom, make for a suberb wall of death.
>>
>>43645260
Those Purifier sentries are friggin amazing.
The speed boost, and the ability to create a powerfield where ever they happen to be, are fucking fantastic.
>>
So why is it that SC related threads are going pretty well on /tg/. As in: they recive a big amount of replys and are mostly qiute polite.
I've seen a few when the LotV cinematic was revealed a bit back and it was all pretty good..
>>
>>43645739
Because /tg/ likes to discuss fluff and interesting settings.
Also, the bandwagon hate towards SC2 that festers on /v/ is nearly absent here. Sure, people justifiably criticize and dislike shitty aspects of SC2 (and it's story sure has loads of them) but the attitude here isn't simply just "it's shit because it sucks" like it is on /v/.
>>
>>43645556
tal'darim Sentries are amazing. I prefer the range boost to the speed boost
>>
>>43645820
No ability to attack or generate a powefield are major drawbacks to me.
The Tal'darim immortals are fucking amazing though. With Dragoons beings so tough, you don't really need immortals to tank, so instead you can use the Tal'darim ones that do massive splash damage.

I like the unit variants in general. The only one that has sorta disappointed me was the Purifier phoenix, which is basically just a phoenix with a boring trait that only increases it's survivability a bit. I wish it had been a more interesting unit. Like for example, getting the ability to overload like phoenixes had when SC2 was first announced.

As it is, there is nearly no reason to use either the standard Phoenix, nor the Purifier one, as Corsairs are simply just so more useful with their autocasting "fuck your shooting" spells.
>>
>>43645812
I also suspect that /tg/ in general has an older user base. While age doesn't inherently mean less shit posting, I think it is a factor.

That and /tg/ has always prided itself on (usually) being one of the better 4chan boards.
>>
>>43645867
The standard phoenix is very stronk too thanks to its autocast. It can disable units in the middle of the fight without any micro from your part, and while they are disabled, your phoenixes can continue attacking them, as the ability isn't channeled. Meanwhile, the Corsair's ability is sure very interesting, but it is often wasted on a single unit in a useless spot, and it very quickly consumes all their energy; and Corsairs very often cannot attack at all, as they can attack only air units, and cannot lift units in the air like Phoenixes.

I'm not saying that Corsairs are bad and Phoenixes good, but I like them both. I agree with you about the Purifier Phoenix, though.
>>
>>43623793
My character suicides so I can roll up an "elf."
>>
>>43645812
Aldo /v/s threads are nearly all about the multilayer and meta game, not the setting
>>
Umojan Protectorate faction skin when?
>>
>>43645105
>>43645073
The beard didn't bother me as much as the rounded gut armor to make him look chubby.
>>
I actually like some of what they did with fenix and the whole fake vs real thing, or some of the conversations about the khala. Was cute 2deep4u bs, was surprised they even tried given blizz quality. What I didn't like is how very human they made the protoss morals and shit. They're psionic aliens let em act weird.
>>
>>43648930
100% agree
>>
>>43648930

I liked a lot of what they did with the main story mode. It was very obvious that whoever was writing was doing his damnedest to unfuck the story that Metzen shit on.

The epilogue gave me cancer though
>>
>>43635382
u mean WorldS of StarCraft ?
>>
>>43651453

Metzen has given reasoning for why Starcraft 2 story is like it is.

>"WOW is so macro," he says. "One race can't really lead another in terms of how deep you go with the characters, or what world leader is rocking at any given time. I was excited to get into StarCraft because it is so much more linear, and it is about just a couple of people, and it is something goofy like a love story."

>That love story is between hard-drinking space captain Jim Raynor and Sarah Kerrigan, a super-agent who ends up corrupted by the insectoid Zerg race. Trying to implement such a tale within what is essentially a war game is a different kind of challenge, which creates a different kind of friction - not between developer and players, but between writers and designers.

>"To be honest with you, if I had a nickel for every time I heard, 'Really? You want to tell Gone With the Wind in the context of an RTS? Are you an idiot? That doesn't make it easy on us!'" he laughs. "And sometimes I wonder if we bit off maybe too much story for what you can actually build in the context of an RTS campaign."

"As a younger man, it was an exercise in clever, right? I wanted to build big, giant worlds, I wanted to hook ideas that no-one else was thinking about, or more to the point, spin ideas that we've all grown up with in ways that no-one had spun before.

>"At this phase of my life I find myself - and maybe this is totally normal for 38 years old - I'm far less fascinated with these big, grinding worlds and their levels of complexity. I want to get a lot more personal... I just want to be part of projects that have soul and resonance and are not the same old video game bulls**t."

>"Let's just say that there's some continuity between my life these past many years and what this story is. And in some way, cathartically, I've been working out my own demons."
>>
>>43651569

> I just want to be part of projects that have soul and resonance and are not the same old video game bulls**t."

Well, he damnwell failed. Raynor/Kerrigan's romance has basically zero soul to it.
>>
>>43644969
Actually it's just a retcon, as the player in SC1 (who is later mentioned to be Artanis, like SC2 later) was always reffered to as Executor, even in the very intro you are reffered to as the new excutor because "Clearly Tassadar has failed us, you must not"
>>
>>43651667

The vanishing of SC1 Magistrate is more baffling anyway.
>>
>>43651720
I know they say he isn't, but it really feels like Matt is the Magistrate; just like Artanis and Selendis are the Executors.

Poor Cerebrate, though. He deserved better.
>>
>>43623793
Oh shit, nothing happened.

Using races so ridiculously ubiquitous as elves is a major challenge. They've been done so much, and are associated so heavily with cliches that to have them requires either extreme imagination to implement an actually good twist (which has to be more than just difference for the sake of being difference) or you're hamstrung by having to include a race that rigidly conforms to expectations AND has a bad reputation.

Much easier just to use shit like animal-people (I've got lizard men and fly men).

But I'm sure some idiot will think that anything that doesn't include standard D&D races is hipster bullshit.
>>
>>43651453
Honestly, I didn't really mind the epilogue that much.
Sure, it was cheesy as fuck, but at least we finally got rid of Kerrigan leading the Zerg.

Overall, Legacy of the Void did a lot to redeem the story of Starcraft 2 for me. With the whole prophecy stuff being psychic manipulation done by the last benolevent Xel'naga, explaining what the artifact was, actually adding dept to the Tal'darim etc-
I still hate the primal Zerg bullcrap though, but now, I am not nearly as annoyed by the overall story. I feel like Legacy of the Void somehow actually managed to not only pull all the story threads together in an acceptable manner, while also being wholly a protoss story. I didn't even mind Amon as a villain that much. He was kinda 2spooky4u at times.
>>
File: CTFYui.png (264KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
CTFYui.png
264KB, 1000x1000px
>>43634693
>>43634282
>>43634240
>>43633985
You're all missing the point.

Legacy of the Void was 100% about shitting on the Protoss as hard as they possibly could to the point the ape race with no prior cosmic relevance and the supposed Other Half race completely hijacked both their plot and their victory.

Artanis basically was forced to sit through a kekold porn plot with Kerrigan being the Big Dick Nigga stealing the Blonde Waifu Ouros.
>>
File: tychus.jpg (516KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tychus.jpg
516KB, 1920x1080px
>create great character
>kill him off for the sake of a shitty romance plot
Thanks metzen
>>
>>43633985
Purity of Form apparently just meant "potent psyker race".
While Terrans themselves were not really potent psykers as a whole, Kerrigan herself was an uber level psychic, which was apparently the purity of form the Xel'naga sought after.
It's kinda dumb.
>>
>>43651569

Fuck you Metzen.
>>
>>43653294
The whole point of Legacy of the Void was the protoss unshackling themselves from the designs and purposes of their "gods" and actually be finally free to do their own thing.

Getting rid of the Khala pisses me off though.
It was such an unique thing the toss had. With Amon dead and shit, I see no reason for why the protoss couldn't re-establish the Khala.
>>
>>43653294

Protoss never wanted to fuse with the Zerg anyway, so the fact that they never were supposed to and it was just Amon's plot to create hybrids probably came as a relief.

No Protoss could care less that Kerrigan went full Phoenix, in fact no one but Raynor cared and she came to pick him up later anyway.
>>
>>43623793
Our resident Mary-Sue just became even more powerful.
>>
>>43623838
>>43624120
>>43624281
>>43624516

Nice to see that not everyone on /tg/ is an elf-loving Fag-Eaten Realms shitter
>>
>>43651579
Pretty much this, to be honest. One of the reasons that the relationship between Raynor and Kerrigan worked so well in the first place was because it was so understated. It allowed the player to fill in gaps as the campaign progressed - and remember, Kerrigan is only introduced in Terran mission five and "dies" in mission nine. She doesn't show up again until Zerg mission four.

The problem with telling a love story in StarCraft II is that they seem to have taken the larger canvas afforded to them as an excuse to paint with a larger brush. It seems almost counter-intuitive that as subtle as they were when the characters were tiny, minimally animated portraits, the opportunity to render actors in-engine, fully expressive and capable of performing complex scenes resulted in less nuanced performances.

But the fact of the matter is, the romance plot is only a secondary issue to the totally unnecessary and out-of-place redemption story. You could have maybe told a story about how Kerrigan and the Queen of Blades are two different people. They sometimes made allusions to this, but never fully committed. What they did, instead, was to completely trash Kerrigan's arc from Brood War by retreading the exact same narrative device. We wanted to believe that she could be redeemed, so we give her the benefit of the doubt when she says that she was under the Overmind's influence. It's what made her betrayal in Brood War that much more effective, especially when she comes right out and exults in being queen bitch of the universe.

The big reveal that, nope, she's just under Amon's influence the whole time robs her of any agency she might have possessed. It is, in and of itself, diminished by the fact that it's not a new twist, it's the exact same twist we've seen before - only, this time it's accompanied by the writers', "but we really mean it this time, guys!"
>>
>>43653167
The Tal'darim were neat, and Alarak was great, but changing their colour scheme from the purple/green is was in Wings to full Darth Vader struck me as a more than a little lazy and on the nose. And while what we got had a certain charm, it would have made more sense to expand on their nature as a religious sect worshipping the xel'naga and with rites based around terazzine gas.
>>
>>43653329
When they said that the xel'naga Don't intervine I was very worried the big twist was that it was humans who has purity of form, and the protoss were a giant red herring
>>
>>43654055
Honestly I always saw brood war Kerrigan as, not controlled, but not simply evil of her own will, it was her, but influenced by her zero nature, which was certainly trim off her empathy, had I been in charge of her for real redemption, I would have made a large note of her having perfect recall of all her actions and how much she had enjoyed them, give real weight to her sense of atonement buy having the sins actually feel like her own to bear
>>
>>43652552
Stupid headcanon on my end is that Kerrigan basically mutated the surviving cerebrates into Brood mothers, and that Zagara was once the same one that she had help her in brood war
>>
>>43654519
It's a nice thought but you can't do Heart of the Swarm if she hates herself for what she did while she was the Queen of Blades. I was alright with most of Wings of Liberty, but the moment it became clear that Kerrigan was going to dive headlong back into Zergdom, I basically tuned out. They didn't even try to lampshade it as some kind of sacrifice, she wasn't conflicted about it at all.
>>
>>43654561
That was another thing, she would still controll zerg but not deliberately go zerg, she would instead gradually grow back into it, no re-cocooning, and she would remain herself this time, alas I'm not the writer
>>
>>43653311
Dayum shame. But we just weren't ready for the raw sex appeal that Tychus brought to Starcraft.
>>
>>43623793
>How does this affect your campaign?
It doesn't, since there are no eles in "my" setting.
>>
>>43654680
That was actually something that was going to happen, originally. There are models for Kerrigan at various stages of mutation as she gradually re-zergs. My understanding is that it was going to be tied to the leveling mechanism for unlocking her zerg powers, over the course of the campaign.

They abandoned this for a couple of reasons - same as the Kerrigan clone arc - not the least of which being that there would undoubtedly be some fuckers that'd play through with a level one Kerrigan to keep her as human as possible.

Considering what an abortion the choose-your-own-adventure missions in WoL turned out to be (threadly reminder that Tosh lives and Hanson dies), it's no surprise that they would have wanted to limit the players' ability to affect the outcome of the campaign. Kerrigan can't become the Phoenix Force if she's not already the Queen of Blades.
>>
File: 1209126390575.jpg.jpg (105KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1209126390575.jpg.jpg
105KB, 350x350px
>>43634944
What you did there.

I saw it.
>>
File: What would've been actually...jpg (145KB, 1372x600px) Image search: [Google]
What would've been actually...jpg
145KB, 1372x600px
>>43654805
I'm still mad about that we don't have pic related.
>>
>>43654805
>Hanson dies

NOT IN MY PLAYTHROUGHS SHE DOESN'T! I also keep her around right up until the invasion of Char so I can hear her commentary on everything, that and she a qt. As for Tosh, he's somewhat amusing and Nova is a bitch that "kills" Raynor in HoTS whether you side with Tosh or not. Also Hanson says there's no evidence to suggest that spectres are any more unstable than ghosts are.
>>
>>43654849
I did this too!

Seriously I never did in all of my playthroughs the Fall of Heaven mission and kept her with me until Char.
>>
File: 1447606027693.jpg (62KB, 1024x657px) Image search: [Google]
1447606027693.jpg
62KB, 1024x657px
>>43654849
>>43654866
Then you played it wrong. All of the women that are attracted to Jim Raynor get zerged.

Or in Selendis' case, possessed by Amon.
>>
>>43654881
Jim can't catch a break.

> Wife died out of sadness due to Ghost son supposedly dying in an accident.
> Kerrigan gets Zerged.
> A lot of other bullshit happens.

And I really need to play LoTV, but I don't have enough dosh, so I'm waiting until it'll get cheaper in the stores.
>>
>>43654866
Yeah, the only bad thing about keeping her around that long is that you don't get vikings until the very end of the game.
>>
>>43654913
Yeah, that's a bummer.

And some missions would've been easier with them...but who cares? I wanted Doc. to stay longer.
>>
>>43654912
I'm enjoying it so far, and like I said earlier in the thread, Artanis is a huge badass in the protoss campaign.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kcHS0Tcu0
>>
>>43654945
Darn. Gonna have to wait some time.
>>
>>43654912
>Wife died out of sadness due to Ghost son supposedly dying in an accident.
I know that this was added much, much later to Raynor's backstory, but I like the idea of him being a latent psychic which was allowed him to perceive Kerrigan's distress during her transformation.
>>
>>43654975
Could be a good idea as an element for Jim actually.
>>
>>43654561
>but you can't do Heart of the Swarm
What a tragic loss.
>>
>>43640303

Proof on this?

I'm not finding any nipples on official (or even non-official) art.
>>
>>43654966
A little context for that cinematic:You go to Shakuras to recruit the rest of the dark templar into your unified protoss army, and find out that Amon's forces got there before you by using the warpgate from Brood War. You help Vorazun(Raszagal's daughter)evacuate the remaining civilians, then as a parting fuck you to Amon, you let a little over a billion zerg(and a bunch of hybrids)come through the gate, before overloading the Xel'Naga temple(also from Brood war)to blow up Shakuras, because Vorazun and the rest of the dark templar would rather blow up Shakuras than let Amon claim it. Artanis volunteers to stay behind to overload the temple personally, which is where that cutscene comes in. Artanis blows up a fucking planet just to send a message to Amon: You're not taking anything else from us.
>>
>>43655053
Well that's badass.

Pity that Shakuras is blown up. I like Shakuras.
>>
>>43655053
>Artanis uses the Xel'naga temple to kill Zerg in Brood War
>Artanis uses the Xel'naga temple to kill Zerg in Legacy of the Void
Like pottery, it rhymes.
>>
>>43654805
Clone Kerrigan? And yeah, the evolution would be best as a solid progression if they were going for that
>>
>>43655077
You would rather they forgot about the temple completely?
>>
>>43655083
Right up to the end of its development, there was a subplot involving clones of Kerrigan in Heart of the Swarm. Very little is publicly known about it and t's not clear how it would have figured into the story but it survived until at least the last eight months of development, because Mengsk uses a Kerrigan clone to zap Kerrigan prime in this rough cut of the ending cinematic, leaked the year before the game was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YkX4Yt4ek8
>>
>>43644617
>Implying a being created by an imperfect being could be perfect
>>
>>43655124
Fucking leaks...
>>
>>43655103
Oh, don't get me wrong, my problem isn't that they're recycling the endgame macguffin from Brood War in one of the first missions in Legacy of the Void.

My problem is, why would Amon create a weapon that can be used against him? Because Legacy of the Void makes it painfully clear that the rest of the Xel'naga have never interacted with the mortal races and every single thing relating to the Protoss and Zerg being uplifted was Amon or his minions. Including the anti-Zerg weapon on Shakuras.
>>
>>43654848

>those tits and ass

Jesus fuck.
I know the model's proportions have to emphasized so the character's details are easily seen from the top-down view, but holy fuck.
>>
File: B61q6hWCQAA1bY9.png (463KB, 599x352px) Image search: [Google]
B61q6hWCQAA1bY9.png
463KB, 599x352px
Still waiting on the WoL + HotS + LotV battle chest.
I told myself to not buy what essentially is one game three times.
The wait is fucking painful
>>
>>43655178
>My problem is, why would Amon create a weapon that can be used against him?

Backup plan in case he lost control of the zerg somehow?
>>
>>43655179
In the future all women will have giant titties and denser back muscles to support them thanks to genetic engineering.
>>
>>43654365
The Greenish colors they had were sorta too close to the Dark Templar imo.
Ideally, they would have used the red color scheme for the Tal'darim from the get go.
It looks better to me than the greenish one anyhow. Though I might be biased, because I fucking loved Alarak and how bitching he looked.
>>
File: raynor_dealwithit.gif (1MB, 400x231px) Image search: [Google]
raynor_dealwithit.gif
1MB, 400x231px
>>43655263
That future's so bright, I'm gonna need shades.
>>
>>43655328
Maybe when they do the battle chest they'll go and patch them from the start
>>
>>43654945
I love the scene where he and Kerrigan fight that hybrid.
https://youtu.be/7mJvwyLHhCE?t=647
>>
>>43655178
The temple's function was never specifically to kill zerg. It just channeled energies and shit.
>>
>>43655435
I don't believe that's correct. I'm almost entirely certain that they actually say during Brood War that the Xel'naga that survived Zerus fled to Shakuras and built the temple to protect themselves from the Zerg.
>>
>>43655466
I got no recollection of such statements, and I played trough BW pretty recently.
This is where the temple is described.
https://youtu.be/TCl_rrE-OUU?t=429
>>
>>43655403
So do the zerg win? I ain't buying if the zerg ain't winning.
>>
>>43655328
I thought the Dark Templar were more of an indigo with green highlights, while the Tal'darim were kind of a lighter green with purple. Anyway, it isn't that I'm attached to the original colour scheme, but that I think the new one is silly, over-the-top, and a lazy characterization shortcut for "look how sinister we are". I mean, with the pale face framed by the weird collar/helmet thing, Alarak genuinely looks like an unmasked Darth Vader. Come to think of it, the Chain of Ascesion bears a striking resemblance to the Sith Rule of Two extended to a whole society, too.

I mean, I LIKED Alarak. His sass was fantastic. But his whole society feels like a caricature, and even though I like him I'm disappointed that the writers went with Starcraft Dark Eldar instead of expanding on the Tal'darim as a religious sect the way they first appear in WIngs of Liberty. Give them some more subtlety for god's sake; make them isolationist and conservative and reverent of the Xel'naga in general, let Alarak be the head of a faction that worships a different Xel'naga or a bunch of them, put him in opposition to a leader who wants the whole sect to only worship Amon. Let him be someone Artanis can actually believably work with. As it was, I had a hard time believing that a society of Protoss could end up like that, or that if they did, Artanis would actually collaborate with them. Alarak is like the Zoltun Kulle of Starcraft, and while they're both fantastic, that character tone doesn't fit in Starcraft the way it does in Diablo.
>>
>>43655818
According to the epilogue, The Zerg are now under the rule of Zagara, and have laid claim to worlds surrounding Char by force.
>>
>>43655867
The chain of accession thing IS part of their religion. By all means, they are a religious sect, just a very violent one.
>>
>>43655873
Okay, that's good enough. At least they didn't get turned into happy go lucky animal companions though I would totally play an rpg with a an adorable baneling animal companion
>>
>>43655919
I'm pretty happy about the Zerg ending. It allows them to potentially grow into a very diverse, and interesting faction, with various Brood Mothers pursuing their own goals and doing their own thing, without all of them being bound to a single will.
That's assuming that Blizzard will actually use that opportunity though.
>>
>>43655948
>That's assuming that Blizzard will actually use that opportunity though.
Hahaha, yeah. No. StarCraft III will feature the Zerg once again bound to the will of a renegade Xel'naga, called Mal'badguy, who is secretly the ascended Overmind, but in a surprise twist turns out to be Fenix's force ghost.
>>
>>43656055
The protagonist will be Raynor and Kerrigan's super-hybrid lovechild and the main villains will be ancient protoss heroes because the protoss will have been retconned into being evil all along.
Horner and Valerian will also be evil villains, and so will Zagara because she won't stand aside and let the Hybrid Lovechild assume control of the swarm.
>>
>>43656155
It's going to be called starcraft trinity, and doh, turns out the humans were created by xel naga too, and have a third mystical power called soul magic that is central to the plot.
>>
I know, I just don't like it.

Actually, really what I don't like is the disconnect between the tone of the Tal'darim and the tone of the rest of the protoss. I don't mind the Tal'darim setup, but I don't think it fits in with the rest of the universe. Like I said, I have a hard time believing it. I would have no problems accepting it in a setting that had a matching tone - they would fit right in in 40k, for example.

The other thing that bugs me, now that I think about it, is that you can see from Kalarak's helmet that he still has his nerve chords. they never make him cut them, so why doesn't Amon control him directly? But that's a stupid plot hole, and I don't even care much about it. The main thing is, again, a tone problem.

In the first game we have the Khala protoss and the Dark Templar, and the point of their campaign is the two factions reconciling their differences and learning that both of their ways of live are useful and valuable, as embodied by Tassadar, who kills the Overmind by channelling both Khala psionics and Dark Templar Void energies. Now, let's set aside the fact that, if Amon controls the void, then all Dark Templar are in fact powered by him, but at the same time he can't control them but CAN control the Khala. Because that's stupid, but it isn't the main problem.

By making the Khala something that must be destroyed, the writers fuck up the the message of each way having its strengths. making one way a direct danger and the other way the only route to avoiding that danger. The two sides of Protoss philosophy are no longer in narrative balance. Then they add a third, wildly divergent side that's the obvious evil alternative. The Tal'darim should have been a sect of Khala Protoss that reject the caste system in favour of a religious structure of governance but do not reject the psychic unity with their brothers, and instead use the Terazzine gas to alter their minds so that they only link to eachother and not to the Khala as a whole.
>>
>>43656203
Gah, that should have been quoting >>43655901
>>
>>43656196
In a surprise plot twist, the cerebrate from the original SC shows up as a hybrid with a massive fleet, declares the franchise has become too shitty to be allowed to live and proceeds to kill eveyone in the Koprulu sector.
>>
>>43656203
The Tal'darim do not have the Khala.
Just having the nerve cords isn't enough to attune to the Khala. Aeon of Strife is proof of that in itself.
The Tal'darim had never adopted Khala and instead had their own ways.
Why the servants of amon lacked the control mechanism of Khala that the Aiur protoss had, is a mystery however.
I disliked the whole destruction of Khala too.
>>
>>43656299
If just having the chords doesn't include you in the Khala once the Khala had been established, why do the Dark Templar have to cut theirs, then? If they could just refuse to join the Khala without severing them, why would they mutilate themselves like that?
>>
>>43655948
I actually think the primal zerg have potential as long as they get some depth added to them, more then just diet zerg with an obsession with essence
>>
>>43656333
The severing was a display of utter removal from the kalah, and in guessing that once attuned to the khala severing the cords is the only way to break out
>>
>>43656333
It's a cultural thing.
Even in the original Starcraft manual, it was stated that the cutting thing was mostly done in defiance, as it permanently prevented one from connecting to the telepathic racial link the protoss share.
Note, that the Khala, is not the same as the racial link itself. Khala is built upon the racial link, but the link can and indeed did exist without the Khala, before the protoss were uplifted.
And the protoss also lost that connection on their own, without severing their nerve cords, which led to the whole Aeon of strife deal.
>>
I'm guessing that not all the hybrids are dead, what do you think happened to them now?
>>
>>43656444
Probably being hunted down by the Protoss.
>>
>>43654055
>>43654519
>>43654561
The entire fucking point of Brood War's story was establishing that Kerrigan is irredeemable and the woman she was is dead, and Raynor FINALLY getting this through his thick skull.

And then in SC2 he's right back where he started with absolutely no explanation.
>>
>>43656727
I don't belive in irredeemable
>>
>>43645007
>Do you think us fools?
>Yes, but that is irrelevant.
I love the guy.
>>
>>43657836
He has the best dialogue.
>>
>>43657836
>>43657860
I hope that Blizzard releases more content that features him.
Like making him a commander in the co-op missions, (hoping for a full dlc about the Tal'darim is probably foolish). Hell, I'd even be happy if we'd get him in Heroes of the Storm.
I'd main him.
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.