[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any modern (post-Heresy) examples of Chaos Space Marines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

File: BlackLegion1.jpg (644KB, 990x1382px) Image search: [Google]
BlackLegion1.jpg
644KB, 990x1382px
Are there any modern (post-Heresy) examples of Chaos Space Marines that take inspiration from historical civilizations and/or organizations? Be it in terms of structure, doctrine, personality, or maybe even empire.

Multiple Loyalist chapters do it,
>Ultramarines [Rome]
>Space Wolves [Vikings]
>Black Templars [Templars]
>Storm Lords [Celtics]
>Dark Angels [Catholic Orders]
And probably more.

Surely there must be CSM groups that have themes like this, or are capable of it.
>>
File: Spite780-2.jpg (49KB, 780x585px) Image search: [Google]
Spite780-2.jpg
49KB, 780x585px
>>43598992
>>
Blood Gorgons.

Read the book, it's pretty cool. Blood Gorgons are generaly swell guys.
>>
>>43598992
Red Corsairs are pirates.
>>
The trick there is that to have a consistent cultural background there wold have to be a consistent recruiting world. Most chaos marines post heresy don't have that, or if they have a world its a daemon world so the predominant culture there is 'all fucked up, all the time'.

Some of the warbands from heresy era legions would have left overs from their original world's cultures. The Iron Warriors with greek orientation, the Thousand Sons with egyptian. The Word Bearers probably have whatever chaos worshipping cultural traits their homeworld had.
>>
File: Don Quixotes Revenge.gif (2MB, 250x205px) Image search: [Google]
Don Quixotes Revenge.gif
2MB, 250x205px
>>43599476
>Red Corsairs
>"they're pirates"
>name is literally Corsairs

Your powers of observation are commendable.
>>
>>43599389
I actually recently discovered that I have the book in the Bastion Wars omnibus after my last CSM-focused thread* brought them up a few times. I'd like to get to them, definitely. 1d4chan has a page on them and mentions a little about their "culture," and they do sound neat. If nothing else, because they aren't Stupid Evil like most CSMs *seem* to be.

>>43599476
Yeah, but that's kinda the thing, though; is there a feasible alternative for CSM groups beyond pirates? Pirates just kinda seem like the default, and while pirates ARE cool, I already have a Dark Eldar army, so I'm looking for something a little different, thematically.

Mainly, I'm looking for a precedent for Chaos Space Marines with a homeworld, or small empire, that has its own culture and method of civilization, brutal though it may be.

>>43599581
That's definitely the catch, which is why I'm out on the search. Like I said to the other anon, most Chaos Space Marines seem to have a raider/pirate kinda theme, or are maybe just mindless.

I assume it's feasible for, say, a traitor Space Marine chapter to carry over its culture, albeit in some twisted manner. It just seems like, from what I've read, a lot of warbands are typically made up of random groups of Space Marines that have a common cause, and are sometimes not even consistent in their "membership."

*I've recently gained an intearest in starting a Chaos Space Marines army for fun, but I'm looking for inspiration fluff-wise for them to really grab me, mainly with a sense of variety and depth. Problem is, it seems like the lore tends to focus on them being kinda mindless and Stupid Evil in their personality, and generally acting the same within their hierarchy (which god they fall under, if any at all). Which comes to this thread, the second I've made in this series, seeing if there's any precedent, or if it would even make sense, for them to have a civilization.

I was also considering kinda basing my CSM group on a Sith Empire.
>>
>>43598992

Why would you want to play something so creatively bankrupt?
>>
>>43600474
That's kinda what I'm trying to avoid. I'm attempting to search for some kind of depth to Chaos Space Marines.

Even Dark Eldar, when you really look into them, have more variety than rape and murder all day, erryday. They have a method to their madness, and do a lot more than just taking slaves and murdering each other wantonly. Hell, there's a kabal where its primary purpose is to track down big game creatures for its archon to hunt.
>>
Thousand Sons are so Egypt they shit out obelisks.
>>
File: 1344132738777.jpg (923KB, 1047x3020px) Image search: [Google]
1344132738777.jpg
923KB, 1047x3020px
>>43600541
>I'm attempting to search for some kind of depth to Chaos Space Marines.
Gimmicks won't really give chaos marines depth. And empires/cultures just aren't something they do. Far too self-absorbed.

Renegade marines may set up shop in small systems as self-appointed emperors, but once a marine goes chaos he's either mashed under the imperial hammer or scattered to the eye to join the rest of the lost and the damned.
>>
>>43600541
>more variety than rape and murder all day, erryday

Why would you want to complicate history's most popular past time?
>>
File: Chaos_marines_engagements.jpg (130KB, 974x810px) Image search: [Google]
Chaos_marines_engagements.jpg
130KB, 974x810px
>>43600441

old pic with locations of chaos strongholds, you can probably warhammer wiki those and see what they're about if you're concerned with 'muh cannon' but if not, these exist so you can make one up.
>>
>>43600729
Because after millenia it gets boring.
>>
>>43600541
40k is all about building and painting "your dudes" just pick something that you'll care about and make it.

Fuck, even the fluff reuses historical cultures on more than one occasion.
>>
>>43600781
And yet humanity is still at it.
>>
>>43600656
Yeah, but they haven't really had a "civilization" since the fall of Prospero, have they?

>>43600727
Noted, I'll take a look through that picture you posted.

>>43600747
Thanks, that helps.

>>43600781
Yeah, and that's kinda the thing with Dark Eldar: they just want to have fun, which gives them a lot of variety for motivation.

>>43600784
Fair point, and that's kinda my aim; 40k is so large in scale and open-ended that, so long as you don't really break any major "rules" of the universe, you're pretty much okay when it comes to custom fluff.

>>43600801
What can we say? Relapses happen.
>>
>>43600747
fuck this picture just ugh.. the chaos space marines really need to be redesigned.. theyre so faggoty and edgelordy

atleast the traitor guards and cultists and renegades got done properly. fuck CSM
>>
File: Aurelian.png (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Aurelian.png
2MB, 1680x1050px
>>43599581

Culture-wise, the Word Bearers are weird mix of the first Fertile Crescent civilizations.

The inscriptions on their armour before the Heresy, for example, are written in Coptic. Their language also seems to be Semitic-inspired, with a lot of short if not outright monosyllabic words with heavy consonants and (presumably) harsh vowels:

Gal Vorbak
Vakra Jal
Argel Tal
>>
I started homebrewing my own renegade chapter of Marines based on Mithridates and his wars against Rome. I basically started with a chapter that had a defect in it's gene seed resulting the chapter losing the standard Space Marine poison resistance. So over the centuries a culture evolved on their homeworld of poison becoming a very common weapon. There are multiple instances of the Chapter Master being poisoned by rivals, planetary officials or unknown parties. This prompted an ambitious Apothecary to develop a universal toxin resistance. The apothecary would drink a mixture of antidotes and small quantities of known poisons to attempt to build up a resistance. One thing leads to another, heresy happens and Nurgle smiles down on his new son, Space Mithridates and his band of renegade Marines.
>>
>>43598992
The Black Templars act nothing like the Templar Order, they're Teutonics.
>>
>>43599091
> Nazi tank covered in purity seals, complete absence of spikes, stars of chaos, etc. and has a relatively subdued paint job
> OP asked for Chaos Space Marines
> Chaos Space Marines
> Chaos
> purity seals
>>
>>43604405
How are they different?
>>
File: gallery_39401_2771_22654.jpg (225KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
gallery_39401_2771_22654.jpg
225KB, 1024x768px
>>43607451
Problem?
>>
>>43607889
Templars were primarily bankers and traders with a military arm in addition, they also were extremely tolerant compared to all the other Orders, all of which factored into them eventually being declared heretics.

Teutonics were blinded by zealotry and fairly batshit.
>>
>>43598992
1k sons pre heresy were ancient persia. Post heresy are more ancient Egypt.
>>
Somebody post that awesome bit of old fluff where a tribesmen of an indigenous primitive culture that is almost extinct on an Imperial world and worships chaos works together with "the warriors of the gods" to defeat "the sky giants", and ends with him being recruited.

I can see a renegade Chapter that is fairly devout in regard to the Ruinous Powers trying to find some rare example of an indigenous chaos-worshipping culture that wasn't wiped out during the great crusade or has since relapsed as a base of recruitment.
>>
File: ChaosTrader.jpg (342KB, 1200x995px) Image search: [Google]
ChaosTrader.jpg
342KB, 1200x995px
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.