[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any part of the chest or abdomen where you could stab

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

Is there any part of the chest or abdomen where you could stab someone with a sword deep enough to pin him to a wall and have it not be lethal? I mean aside from blood loss, which I assume wouldn't be too quick before the sword is removed, anyway.
>>
>>43590880
No.
>>
>>43590880
The pancreas
>>
With modern medicine, most places would be survivable.

Otherwise, the best you could hope for is piercing a lung without too much bleeding. Having a gut wound was nearly always fatal (eventually) until in 20th century.

Though if you just want the character to survive for a few days so he can relay information, then you can do gut wounds.
>>
File: 7718227b7c712ddajo_5.jpg (37KB, 350x443px) Image search: [Google]
7718227b7c712ddajo_5.jpg
37KB, 350x443px
>>43590880
Maybe? Depends on who are you stabbing.
>>
>>43590880
Realistically? no.

Theoretically? Yes.
but not dying from it would be an absolute fluke.
(literally a case of "1/2 an inch that way, or the other, or it going in 5 degrees differently and you're dead" type fluke)
Plus the whole fact that if using a sword, the chances that is a pre-modern setting for it, in which case, death is virtually assured if its right the way through, either from bleeding, but more likely from infection, inability to drain the wound, etc.
its pretty much a one in a million chance of not being dead an hour later.
>>
The hands I guess? You'll die of infection probably, but people survived being crucified for a little while
>>
File: proper-pillow-shoulder-anatomy.jpg (35KB, 380x336px) Image search: [Google]
proper-pillow-shoulder-anatomy.jpg
35KB, 380x336px
only relatively safe place that comes to mind would be through the shoulder joint, which would be limited to a weapons that could fit in that area like a rapier or an estoc

a better choice than doing this however is 'buying rope' as if the victim struggles at all they'd likely rip off their arm and bleed out through the hole

the description of such an injury would be difficult at best, and really a shoulder spike could only be considered in your question as 'technically part of the torso' even though it's really just the arm's connection point
>>
>>43591213
Definitely shoulder, watch older movies where someone survives a stabbing and it's almost always the shoulder. The shoulder is the ultimate "I've been injured but I'm tough so it won't affect me for the rest of the scene." wound.

Seriously in "the phantom" He gets stabbed by a dagger, multiple swords, shot with a crossbow and even a shard of glass, all in the shoulder.
>>
>>43591281
I don't know if "in older movies" is a good validation for something.
>>
File: 2345234.gif (96KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
2345234.gif
96KB, 530x530px
>>43590880
Anywhere that isn't pictured on this diagram is reasonably likely to be survivable, provided you get medical attention.
>>
File: 1447265527142.jpg (47KB, 380x336px) Image search: [Google]
1447265527142.jpg
47KB, 380x336px
Right under the clavicle.
On >>43591213's picture it is right here.
There is not a whole lot going on there but muscle, and in >>43591447's image you can see that the arteries/veins are above the clavicle.

It'd hurt, but its the most survivable place on the chest.
>>
>>43590880
Motherfuckers have had railroad spikes stuck through their skulls and been totally fine. People can simultaneously survive almost anything and die from the smallest things.
>>
>>43591213
Aren't there a lot of major arteries in the shoulder, though?
>>
>>43592078
relatively safe does not mean safe, just safe relative to how fucked everything else would be

you can survive heavy bleeding much easier than having feces in your bloodstream
>>
>>43590880
If you're going with "not lethal" meaning that they will live and even stay conscious for an extended period of time before blood loss and or infection kills them, then pretty much anywhere in the guts would do. So long as you don't hit any of the vital organs or major blood vessels then all they have to worry about is the relatively slow blood loss and inevitable septicemia as the gut contents leak into the abdominal cavity.
>>
Neal Stephenson has one of his characters pinned with a rapier through the liver in one of his System of the world novels, he usually researches stuff pretty well so that may be your answer
>>
>>43594455
The liver is one of the worst places to get hit. Its a blood sponge more or less. You'd bleed out in a minute or die to shock due to all the poisons and shit in the liver.

The only saving grace to this is the fact that its a Rapier. But even that would kill someone pretty quick.
>>
>>43594484

Maybe, the books are very historically accurate and researched but he does pull a few fast ones in order to keep the story running, and this scene is a particular climax of a long running plotline, also been a while since I read it.
>>
>>43591673
Phineas Gage was not "fine" after his accident. He was all fucked up. He couldn't do his job and had to resort to being a freakshow act for most of his life.
>>
>>43590880
Through the spine.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.