[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm new to cyberpunk What exactly is "military-grade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: 1388118401436.jpg (302KB, 780x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1388118401436.jpg
302KB, 780x1100px
I'm new to cyberpunk

What exactly is "military-grade artificial intelligence"?
>>
>>43468583
An A.I. of a level of sophistication well beyond what the public has access to.
>>
>>43468583
It's like commercial-grade but cheaper.
>>
Just what it says on the tin. It's an AI so good it can get up to some bad shit, so the military likes it because it can do bad shit to the bad guys, and no one else is usually suppsoed to have one, because if it does bad shit on its own volition it can be a bad thing.
>>
>>43468583
Any specific context here?
Otherwise, I would assume its all around better, and primarily designed as a tactician.
>>
>>43468613
As someone who has spent time in the military, I can confirm this.
>>
>>43468583
In general, "military-grade" anything virtually always supercedes "commercial-grade" anything because it's of a higher or more potent quality (on paper, at least). In your case, a "military-grade AI" would be hyper advanced and capable of some crazy shit given the opportunity.
>>
>>43468613
/Thread
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (43KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
43KB, 1280x720px
>>43468583

>low-tier military grade
EDI. Comparatively sophisticated AI used for like one ship or building and mostly handles mundane things. Probably does not hate humans.

>mid-tier military grade
Cortana. Highly sophisticated AI with the ability to input into most functions. Is portable but not omnipotent. High-profile enough to be considered a person by most people and rescue missions can and will be launched to recover it if it goes missing. Possibly hates some humans.

>high-tier military grade.
Skynet. Alarmingly sophisticated AI with access and control over the entire military system. Probably hates all humans.
>>
>>43468583
An AI that is 'ruggedized' and has design constraints (such as increased spacing between transistors) on its hardware to ensure jamming, emp, and other electronic countermeasures do not impede its operation.

This means that it is likely somewhat slower and on physically bulkier hardware than comparable commercial grade AI but is capable of performing its assignments through even total nuclear exchanges.
>>
>>43468768
>Possibly hates some humans
Cortana is super skynet now and the main villain of the series now leading a robot revolution to kill all the biologicals. Because Halo ran out of ideas.
>>
File: all of my sci fi games ever.jpg (49KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
all of my sci fi games ever.jpg
49KB, 400x300px
>>43468853

Haven't played Halo since Reach; I thought Cortana was kill
>>
>>43468853
Actually they are trying to rule biologicals "for there own good" importaint distinction
>>
>>43468877
She nearly was but her code ended up hitting this forerunner facility that held the cure for rampancy
>>
>>43468877
She got better and solved rampancy and is now running rampant.
>>
File: download.jpg (10KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 261x193px
>>43468905
>>43468908

Man that's dumb.
>>
>>43468908
rookie died for this
>>
>>43468959
Welcome to Halo 5.
>>
>>43468583
I would assume it means an AI that is not compliant with Asimov's first law of robotics. As in, it can kill people or allow people to be killed.
>>
>>43468959
Aside from the plot contrivance to make her live it's nice to have a villain you have prior emotional investment in
>>
File: 1427340570065.jpg (117KB, 1023x575px) Image search: [Google]
1427340570065.jpg
117KB, 1023x575px
>>43468583
Fluff?
It's a hardened system that is made to run under extreme conditions. For starters the hardware is ruggedized, portable, radiation- and EM-shielded, and has a backup power supply. Then there's the software. It isn't bundled together from countless packages and libraries that are well documented and have zero days available on the black market. This is custom built code that runs all memory access through sophisticated encryption and has strict IDS subroutines. There are no open ports for standard protocols. Communication run through redundant FHSS connections that are very hard to detect, let alone decode, in real time. Of course everything runs on perfect forward security, so even if you can record communications and manage to decode them eventually it gives you no advantage in cracking future transmissions. Then the behavior of military grade systems is rough. They will fry your port if your protocols deviate even a little. And they have no sense of humor. They are like angry dogs.

Crunch?
+5
>>
File: 1442265736233.jpg (486KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1442265736233.jpg
486KB, 640x640px
>>43469024
>it's nice to have a villain you have prior emotional investment in

>the BBEG is your mom
>>
>>43469058
Can't be.
My mom isn't smart enough to do such a thing.
>>
>>43469385
That's what she wants you to think.
>>
>>43469058
Would smash that milf

Chief probably has some new exciting issues to deal with and mutter to himself about now I guess.
>>
>>43468613
Oh snap
>>
>>43469058
>dropping stuff out of shelve
>leaving it there like a savage instead of correcting what your clumsiness did
some people don't have the slighest bit of decency
>>
>>43468987
That's a damn lie.

Rookie died completely pointlessly and you know it.
>>
>>43468583
It's more intelligent than the OP but less intelligent than me
>>
>>43468905
>>43468959
No, she just found the Forerunner galaxy-wide internet and it kept her "alive" and boosted her already considerable abilities. She *thinks* she's been cured of her rampancy, but it's pretty clear from her actions in Halo 5 that she still is very much rampant.
>>
>>43469810
Ahh, that does clear it up a bit better
>>
>>43469810
She's also uglier.
>>
>>43469810
So she's now a two-bit Durandal knockoff? Pathetic.
>>
>>43468853
>>43468883
So they just copied Mass Effect?

Fucking shit 343.
>>
>>43470659
Anon, she was ALWAYS styled after the AIs in Marathon.
The Cortana Letters even had a similar style to Durandal.
>>
>>43468959
There was a post-rampancy actualization stage in Marathon as well, although it was mostly theoretical until Durandal became the universe.
>>
>>43470752
No, they copied every sci-fi book about AI and robots.
>>
>>43471178
Generally that's just "kill humans because robot" or "kill humans because they're disgusting". I just thought mass effect because it is recent and is also "AI decides organic life must be purged for it's own good".
>>
>>43469024
The player has emotional investment, sure, but almost none of the characters do. And, in my opinion, the ones that do, like Chief, shouldn't.
>>
>>43468583
Its just an overpriced AI that has been certificated for a particular usage by a formal, government mandated review process.
>>
military grade usually means a few things

'black' as in "nobody knows about this shit, it's top secret'

'dangerous' as in "this thing is designed to kill or facilitate killing. personality to match optional

'durable' as in "is rugged, perhaps portable, resistant to being shot or hacked, resistant to EM or remote tampering.
>>
>>43471730
>And, in my opinion, the ones that do, like Chief, shouldn't

That isn't just your opinion, the spartans were raised to care about winning and absolutely nothing else whatsoever.
>>
>>43471730

Chief's emotional investment makes sense to me because it's clear he's got some serious issues from being a living killing machine and Cortana's one of only two people I've ever seen him interact with on any level resembling friendship.

I've never really read any of the books, but at the very least I can understand Chief's attachment to Cortana. Though granted sometimes it seems more like obsession, which doesn't really feel like Chief.
>>
>>43471900
They care about each other.
>>
>>43472108
To the extent that other spartans are able to help accomplish objectives, sure.

They also won't hesitate to sacrifice other spartans when doing so is useful.
>>
>>43472183
No? They genuinely like each other.

Well, the II's don't seem to like the IVs, but everyone hates the IVs.
>>
>>43471153
Marathon is confusing.

I'd love to be able to play the Marathon series, but Aleph One is so shitty compared to GZDoom that I just can't.
>>
'Military grade' software is generally a little more resistant to hacking but costs several hundred times what a commercial equivalent would cost, while having a terrible interface and being utterly unreliable because every program has to be written for it's specific role by someone with high levels of security clearance and good connections who knows perfectly well that he can get away with shoddy work because there is no competition. Also, it's written in some language nobody has used for decades, has shitty documentation and you can't ask anyone how to fix the bugs because it's classified.
>>
>>43472227
Yeah, the IIs and IIIs get on just fine with each other, but everyone agrees the IVs are kinda full of themselves.
>>
>>43468583
the basic AI you use in industrial mechs, just with some combat routines and tactics in storage.
>>
>>43472623
Honestly, I don't know how the IIs and especially the IIIs aren't war autists.
>>
>>43474920
I'm pretty sure they mostly are, they're just not completely heartless.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.