[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card Thread /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 151

File: custom card primer v2.png (2MB, 1400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
custom card primer v2.png
2MB, 1400x1800px
Affinity for Sets Edition

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Formatting FAQ
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
http://digital-art-gallery.com/
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://www.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Previous Thread: >>43364676
>>
File: Cominoraptor.png (316KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Cominoraptor.png
316KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Scarwitch Initiate.png (245KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Scarwitch Initiate.png
245KB, 375x523px
>>
File: izes v2.png (2MB, 1882x523px) Image search: [Google]
izes v2.png
2MB, 1882x523px
yay aura cycles
>>
File: TidehollowPass.jpg (181KB, 751x523px) Image search: [Google]
TidehollowPass.jpg
181KB, 751x523px
Still working on Shard Tri-color Fetches, would the lag vairant or fetch variant be better?

Lag Variant is pretty much a standard tricolor that taps for it's primary and fetches non-basic or basic secondary colors for 1 life.

The normal fetch variant fetches the Base color for 1 life, and the secondary colors for 2.

Image has proper formatting.
>>
>>43420445
Muraganda set guy, I take it? Primal seems... hmm. Five lands is probably a decent benchmark, given other cards. Considering you can get a 3/2 french vanilla with menace at 2R, this should be fine.

>>43420467
There is a flavor disconnect with creatures that have 2 toughness and deathtouch for me, because at 3 toughness, they survive bears. Otherwise, they are already gonna kill 1/1s with that 1 power and bears would die if they simply had 2 power and were a bear themselves so it just comes off as strange to me.

That Primal is strong late game. You might want to rework it, not sure.
>>
File: Affinity stuff.jpg (418KB, 1868x522px) Image search: [Google]
Affinity stuff.jpg
418KB, 1868x522px
>>43420445
Primal is a cool keyword. It encourages not playing 99% expensive dual lands.

>>43420467
It should be a 1/1. Gravedigger is the standard for return a creature from your graveyard to your hand and with it being also a death touch creature, it should have some basic stats. Yes Primal is much harder to reach then 4 mana, but the lower rarity justifies the lower quality. A 2 mana 1/1 with death touch is okay already.

>>43420513
If a land has a basic typing, it's ability to be tapped for it's color of mana is implied and not needed to be written out.
FL has bad formatting so I'll type it out.
>T, sacrifice ~, pay 1 life: Search your library for an Island and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library.
>T, sacrifice ~, pay 2 life: Search your library for a plains or swamp and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library.

The slow version could be an uncommon in a set while the fetch version is too strong because the 2 life instead of 1 is negligible. The only way to make a tri fetch without being too strong is by making it too weak to use. You could try having it have a non pay health downside related to the 2 color option. For example:
>RGU
>T, sacrifice ~, pay 1 life: Search your library for a Forest and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library.
>T, sacrifice ~: Search your library for a Mountain or Island and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library. ~ deals 3 damage to a creature you control or you chosen at random.
>>
>>43420749
Loot thing needs to be instant speed for the affinity ability to be usable
>>
>>43420749
Affinity for spells on a sorcery isn't terribly exciting.
>>
File: Tidehollow Pass FL.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tidehollow Pass FL.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>43420749

So change the 2 life to something higher?

Assume that it's meant to be rare.
>>
>>43420480
Favorize is probably fine, but could bog some games down depending on the environment it's in. Logicize is good in theory, but I wouldn't play with it personally. Too much work for not enough reward. Ruinize is great, yes please. Best of the bunch. Passionize... I wasn't impressed at first but actually, it'd do some work in Limited. Primalize is fine, but compared to Boar Umbra it's a bit lackluster, even if it's cheaper by 1.

>>43420749
>all this Affinity
I can't be doin' with this.
>>
File: Goo.png (246KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Goo.png
246KB, 375x523px
>>43420744
>>43420749
The Scarwitch should probably be bumped up in rarity. Though at this point its still just exploratory design to see if the mechanics have legs. Here's something I'm blatantly stealing from another anon as the token mechanic. Don't know if the second option should target, but I think not to make things simpler.
>>
File: Faith Unending.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Faith Unending.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>43420870
>>43420851
My bad, I should have realized. Too bad I only made these for the thread edition. I won't be fixing them.

>>43420895
What I'm saying is, if the FL simply has a higher health loss for the other kinds, you won't be able to reach a meaningful amount of health without going so far no one would use it. What I'm advocating for is, have it fetch one kind of land with the cost of paying 1 life, then fetch the other two through a more color oriented payment.

>>43420996
Sounds like you don't have an affinity for my rushed cards :^)
>>
>>43421034
Primal will be a fine ability word, no worries on that. This on the other hand is as parasitic as a tapeworm.
>>
>>43421039
Wait why would you put a pip next to Choose 1 (should be one), but then use dashes for the modes? WHAT KIND OF MONSTER ARE YOU?!
>>
File: Albino Velsonin.jpg (34KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Albino Velsonin.jpg
34KB, 375x523px
>>43421034
Goo feels more WG then GB, but not so much more it can't show up in B.
It also feels very boring as a keyword. I like the effect, but i wouldn't want it to be all over a faction or the color pie of a set. Put the rules text of it on a couple of cards at varying rarities and such to play with it, but don't make it a focus of a faction.
>>
>>43421039
So how about;

T: pay 1, Sac, search for base colour.
T: pay 1, Sac, discard card with colour X (where X is one of the secondary colours) search for land type that produces X.
>>
File: Heretic Harvest.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Heretic Harvest.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>43421101
I'm a monster who is very sleepy and is trying to make interesting cards.

>>43421135
Losing card advantage is quite the price for being indie. Joking aside, it should be fine unless there is a land that produces a color of mana and is too good to fish.
>>
File: TidehollowPassFL2.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
TidehollowPassFL2.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>43421184
>>43421135

Thoughts? Formatting is a little weird...
>>
>>43421317
Again bruh, best way to format multiple activation costs is to make them their own lines. Make the line for getting a plains separate for getting a swamp.
>>
File: one punch man.jpg (86KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
one punch man.jpg
86KB, 375x523px
>>
File: TidehollowPassFL2v2.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
TidehollowPassFL2v2.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>43421372

it looks pretty gross with 3 tap symbols and the same text.

It offers no new information so why does it need a separate line?
>>
>>43421478
Maybe delete the weird extra "into play" clause in the first sentence.
>>
>>43421502
Minor error, fixed.
>>
>>43420480
"Loses all abilities" wording is tricky (and awful) because it interacts poorly with stuff like Maro and Tarmogoyf. The rules don't technically state than an undefined * is equal to 0, so it's verboten to remove all abilities without setting base P/T to something.
>>
>>43421478
(tap) sacrifice ~this~, discard a White, Blue or Black, Card: search your library for a basic land, that could produce mana of the same color in the discarded cards mana cost (colorless is not a color)

is that any better?
>>
>>43421884
>in the discarded cards mana cost (colorless is not a color)
as the discarded cards color*
>>
>>43421902
What about gold cards?
do those count as their costs colors?
>>
>>43421923
Holy shit yes. Learn the rules of the game before you go making cards for it.
>>
>>43421930
I didn't make it, I just asked a question
>>
>>43421923
>>43421884

Isn't the one making the cards lol.

Currently doing the others right now, will post results.
>>
>>43421884
We're in weird Auratouched Mage library searching territory, it seems.

I'd go with:
{T}, Sacrifice ~, discard a white, blue, or black card: Search your library for a basic land that could produce mana of one of the discarded card's colors and put it on the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

But now it can only fetch basics, so they're sort of weird Panoramas that cost card advantage rather than tempo, so I might even be happy with:
{T}, Sacrifice ~, discard a white, blue, or black card: Search your library for a Plains, Island, or Swamp card and put it on the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
>>
>>43421440
Is that supposed to be quoting the creature?
Is this a reference to something?
>>
>>43421957
I worded my suggestion exactly to avoid multi type lands, and only get basic lands

Multi-basic-type lands where a mistake
>>
File: Qasali Valley FL.jpg (444KB, 1890x522px) Image search: [Google]
Qasali Valley FL.jpg
444KB, 1890x522px
>>43421954

Results.

>>43421957
But with that wording you could discard a blue card and fetch a swamp, it doesn't really make sense...
>>
>>43422020
Congratulations on your batch of monstrosities.
>>
>>43421957
>>43422020

Also I would like to point out that either way we worded it, multi colored cards and gold cards still have the potential to get all 5 colors

for example a white green card is discarded, and due to the wording you could get a forest

I find the limitation to color of discarded card, and basics lands an acceptable trade off to getting all 5 types is both possible, and probable

To be honest I really think the land searching promoted by WoTC is already way excessive, and basically eroded all the boundaries that multi-color cards expected, and i'm not even "muhColorPie"
>>
>>43422043

ty, how would you improve it then?

It was a thread exercise, so it's not like it's my prized babbies or anything.
>>
>>43422020
Yeah, but with your wording, you pitch blue cards to get mana to cast your blue spells, which seems even more unintuitive to me.

It just seems to me I'd rather have a Panorama (ugh) so I don't get stuck with a dead fetch because I'm unable to cast a card because I don't have my colors and unwilling to pitch it because I want to cast it. Hell, even the Panoramas tap for colorless in a pinch.

Maybe
{T}, Add {1} to your mana pool.
{T}, Discard a white, blue, or black card, Sacrifice ~ : Search your library for a basic Plains, Island, or Swamp and put it on the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

Is a card worth a mana to activate and a mana from entering untapped, as compared to a Panorama? I think so.
>>
>>43422064
>how would you improve it then?
Did you even read the replies to the first one?

10 lines is excessive, and without restricting to basic land its already going to get all 5 colors by retrieving dual lands

The better wording has already been provided to you, by 2 anons
>>
>>43422064
>T, Pay 1 life, Discard a C, D, or E card, Sacrifice ~: Search your library for a C-land, D-land, or E-land card and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
>>
>>43422087
>>43422090

see >>43421317
>>
>>43422110
Thanks for back linking me to the quote chain, I already responded in, without any explanation

That makes perfect sense
>>
>>43421959
Yes. Just Google the name.
>>
File: Shifting Landscape.png (258KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Shifting Landscape.png
258KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Overgrown Jungle.png (310KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Overgrown Jungle.png
310KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Valley Monastery.png (288KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Valley Monastery.png
288KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43422131

Your Sass is really making this difficult m8.
>>
>>43422171
>Sass
My CONFUSION stem from you half responding, and expecting others to understand you

>making this difficult
making WHAT difficult?

You posted a single land

Now 3 different people have given you better wording, and at least 2 discussed its merits

You posted 5 more, and completely ignored the problems with the first, which all the other suffer from

You are not responding to 1 person, and Any-ones "sass" is clearly justified by your short-half responses
>>
>>43422159
I like this
>>
>>43422200

Dude, what the fuck?

I'm working on the wording right now you autist.
>>
>>43422140
Ah gotcha.
Why not add the characters name in the quotation?
Also its not really a stand alone quote, and probably doesn't need the first phrase even if you keep it
>>
>>43422229
You don't need a source for a quote if it's said by the person the card represents.
>>
>>43422212
Please explain to me how posts you don't have to respond to in anyway, or "sass", is slowing you down, or making correcting the wording difficult? there is no deadline time wise, and your back links are still unexplained

And i'm an autist for disliking your short unexplained answers, and name-calling?
>>
File: cycle lands.jpg (171KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
cycle lands.jpg
171KB, 750x523px
>>
>>43422250
>You don't need a source for a quote if it's said by the person the card represents.
I'm having trouble finding any creature card without the name citation when the creature on the card is quoted when talking about themselves

If the quote is extreamly generalized then there's no citation, but this is a quote about himself, by himself

And anyway adding "~ Saitama" doesn't make the quote worse (and to be honest its already pretty poor)
>>
File: Panglacial Expanse.png (256KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Panglacial Expanse.png
256KB, 375x523px
>>43422301
Alesha
>>
>>43422258
in hopes that you've cooled off, how is the wording now;
>T: Sacrifice ~, Pay 1 life: Search your library for a Mountain and put it onto the Battlefield. Then Shuffle your Library.
>T: Sacrifice ~, Pay 1 life: Discard a Black card or a Green card; Search your library for a Swamp or Forest, then put that land onto the Battlefield. Then Shuffle your Library.

>>43422331
Rampant growth now fetches two lands...
>>
>>43422331
>Alesha
>"Greet death with sword in hand."
>reading comprehension

That is an instruction to someone else, and is irrespective of who said it, it's not even about herself, and its an excessively generalized statement
>>
>>43422349
>Rampant growth now fetches two lands...

You still need to have available land plays.

>>43422357
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?output=spoiler&method=visual&action=advanced&type=+[%22Legendary%22]+[%22Creature%22]&flavor=|[a]|[e]|[i]|[o]|[u]
>>
>>43422360
>http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?output=spoiler&method=visual&action=advanced&type=+[%22Legendary%22]+[%22Creature%22]&flavor=|[a]|[e]|[i]|[o]|[u]
the fuck

I know how to use gatherer

You need to search for "My" and "I" for self referential statements, not every vowel.
What the fuck is that supposed to even mean?

Hell, I'll do your job for you and then blow that out of the water too
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=48988
the quote is so general it can be applied to anyone, and not on a legendary, and its not an external reference

tell me how being bald and strong after 1 1/2 years could even makes sense to any one but that character, and then you might have an argument against citing the characters name
>>
File: Ghoulcaller-Gisa.jpg (79KB, 400x558px) Image search: [Google]
Ghoulcaller-Gisa.jpg
79KB, 400x558px
>>43422448
Though I guess everyone just thinks Geralf is a twat. And Feldon is channeling every tfw no gf. You could have at least pulled up Ertai or Eladamri, who both have their quotes attributed to themselves.
>>
>>43422448
There are self referential quotes without citations, Drana being the lastest one
>>
>>43422489
>>43422494
>Ghoulcaller Gisa
>Drana
These quotes are shit, which was the point I was suggesting about the custom card
And even then the Drana, Liberator quote is excessively general as to be able to be said by anyone
>Feldon
The statement is to simple and general to need a citation, and anyone could have said it, without needing to know who
Also it fits with the image, where the custom card in question only does because of the reference

But the main problem is that the custom quote is just a bad quote

Do you think any of those are a good quotes?
>>
>>43422596
>Do you think any of those are a good quotes?
Do you think any of that custom quote is good quote?*

anyway as a layman in respect to the One Punch Man a much better, shorter, quote you don't need a citation for is on it's wiki page

"Absolute power is boring"

gg no re
>>
>>43422596
Well if you want a very specific quote, there's Jeska Warrior Adept
>"My brother and I both come from Balthor's forge. Kamahl has a temper of fire. I have a temper of steel."

Or Kothophed
>"I will be your most demanding master, Liliana. But I have great things in mind for you."

Tajic Blade of the Legion
>"I run the maze alone, but I fight with the full might of the Legion."

And why does it matter if his quote is good or not with regards to whether it needs to be self attributed?
>>
>>43422705
It being poor was the thing I focused on, the being a self attributed was focused on only because Its not clear its self attributed, because the reference require way more foreknowledge than any presented so far. Hell most of the provided quotes even name someone else making their respective reference even stronger but still poor
>>
File: Blind Desire.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Blind Desire.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Trinuo Recruit.png (286KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Trinuo Recruit.png
286KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43423125
It feels very much more red.green than red.white. Otherwise it looks okay.
>>
File: Hollow Deceased.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hollow Deceased.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
Yay for more convoke.
>>
>>43425818
New convoke wording is embarassing. Also, "When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice it if mana was spent to cast it."

Wording example of Azorius Herald.
>>
File: Gruul Fighting Pits.png (394KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gruul Fighting Pits.png
394KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Touma Seeking Salvation.jpg (89KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Touma Seeking Salvation.jpg
89KB, 752x523px
?
>>
>>43425818
You use commas for multiple keyword abilities, not semicolons
>>
>>43428481
>can't be affected by spells or abilities
Seems questionable.
Other than that the card seems fine actually, weird that he's actually around as powerful as a creature than as a planeswalker but weird isn't bad.
>>
>>43428909
>can't be affected by spells or abilities
I couldn't find proper wording for something like this. I know that hexproof prevents targeting, but I want him to be unaffected by anything, including board wipe spells.
>>
>>43428481
The planeswalker's +2 is completely unusable if there are no enchantments in play.
>>
>>43428994
I was thinking that. Maybe the 0 and +2 should be swapped?
>>
>>43428481
Aggressively costed body (Vanilla 1/6s are CMC 4) that can't be interacted with by spells? People here have warned about large booties dragging down draft environments, so I advise caution. Granted, he takes care of himself in three turns, so he can't stick around to be too annoying.

Also, clarification about Anti-magic: Does it work as a card or just as a permanent? If its as a card, it can't be countered (except by weird cases like Mystic Snake), which significantly ups the power level.

Seems like a cool ability, although it honestly gets really confusing. Does it get a buff from Overrun? Can it be a valid sacrifice for Diabolic Edict?
>>
>>43429860
As a permanent. So if I were to play him, he can be countered. If he leaves the stack, he cannot be affected by any spells or abilities that you or your opponents control. Since sacrifices are part of abilities, he cannot be. The flavor of it is because his right hand negates magic, be it hostile or healing.
>>
>>43430179
Hostile or friendly* So you can't target him with your own red buff cards. He is what he is and there's next to nothing that can change him.
>>
>>43430179
I'm familiar with the character, just checking for your desired implementation of him.

The wording on Anti-Magic needs to change to reflect that "this permanent is colorless and can't be affected by spells or abilities you or your opponents control." See the rules text for Shroud. However, wording it this way will restore him to being a White spell, although a colorless creature.

Additionally, he's a colorless creature that becomes a white/blue Planeswalker, because he loses the Anti-Magic ability that defines his colorlessness.

Also, not all sacrifices are part of abilities; some are part of paying costs (like for Ashnod's Altar). So there's another avenue of shenanigans that needs to be shored up. Could he be tapped/sacced/whatever'd to pay costs for stuff like Earthcraft?
>>
>>43430353
I don't know how to properly implement Anti magic into a planeswalker. I'm not particularly well versed in planeswalkers either. I can however remove his W/U coloring from the card and make it just default.

Maybe if I changed "Until your next turn, creatures you control gain anti magic." to "Until your next turn, permanents you control gain anti magic." the planeswalker itself becomes immune again.
>>
>>43430353
>Could he be tapped/sacced/whatever'd to pay costs for stuff like Earthcraft?
That's an activated ability (Tap one target creature, untap a land) so no it wouldn't work. Maybe I should add that abilities and activated abilities don't work. But the reminder text would get a bit lengthy.
>>
>>43428515
Actually in that case he is correct; since certain keywords like flash, defender, and convoke typically take their own typeline, when you put them on the same typeline as an evergreen you use a semicolon.
>>
>>43430473
If you want him to be a colorless Planeswalker, just give him a colorless color indicator (which at the moment is Blue/White).

You can also give him Anti-Magic if you'd like, as there's no rule against PWs being hexproof/shroud/etc. Those sorts of abilities normally go in their own line (like a fourth loyalty ability, sans cost marker). For reference, see the C14 commanders (Daretti, Scrap Savant) or Garruk, Relentless.

Since Anti-Magic is psuedo-Protection, walker Touma can't be bolted, because he's immune to damage from spell sources.

>>43430517
That's fine if that's the way you want to work it, but I think you're missing the rules nuance here. Tapping for Earthcraft, saccing for Ashnod's Altar, putting a -1/-1 counter for Hatchet Bully; those aren't technically activated abilities, they're part of paying costs (for activated abilities: untapping land, gaining {2}, doing 2 damage). This is unknown terrain here, but since you can tap a Pro-Green creature for Earthcraft or put a -1/-1 counter on a Pro-Red creature for Hatchet Bulley, my first jump is to say that Anti-Magic (as worded) doesn't prevent you from doing those things.

I'm riding on you because this is an effect that doesn't have an easy template to point to and it's important that the rules (even if we have to make them up) make sense and cover most of the cases, because somebody will ask if they can sac Touma, Seeking Salvation to Vampiric Rites or something. I think its a cool card with neat flavor, but it has the potential to be vastly overreaching what the rules currently allow for.

Maybe it should be:
>Anti-Magic (This permanent is colorless, cannot be affected by spells or abilities, and cannot be used to pay costs for spells and abilities.)

I think that covers most of the weird bases?
>>
>>43430771
That rule text would solve everything. I didn't think about using him for costs of abilities, so you were a lot of help making this ability fit the mold as well as it does.

And as for making him a 4 ability walker, unfortunately the template I have for Sparkers only allows the card to flip into a 3 ability walker. So unless I make him a 2 ability walker with anti magic taking the place of the third, I could do that. However that doesn't make for an interesting planeswalker in my opinion, so I could just modify the +0 ability to "permanents" instead of "creatures". You were a lot of help. Are you familiar with the series' light novels?
>>
>>43425911
I think (or at least hope) they'd leave off that first sentence if convoke reappeared in a non-core set.
>>
>>43428962
I meant the idea itself seems questionable, I think it's worded fine.
>>
File: Lady Slan.png (305KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lady Slan.png
305KB, 375x523px
Cards exiled with Lady Slan are exiled face up in no particular order. That means if you would draw a card, you can draw any face up card exiled with her. When she's not in play, the cards are just exiled and you only have one library.

Overpowered or no? I'm just trying to come up with something interesting for UB that's not mill or clone/tokens.
>>
File: Next Step.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Next Step.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>43425911
>>43431180
>>
>>43431360
>That means if you would draw a card, you can draw any face up card exiled with her
Yes. And I don't see what is black in her. Milling effects are black because they go to the graveyard.
>>
File: Zand Halderons Architect.jpg (56KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Zand Halderons Architect.jpg
56KB, 375x523px
>>43431428
I can see this being printed in an un-set
>>
File: UUB01 Dreamcrush.png (199KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
UUB01 Dreamcrush.png
199KB, 375x523px
>>43431360
You should have the exiled cards go into your graveyard when she leaves the battlefield, otherwise, as has been stated, you're exiling half your library if someone casts Go for the Throat.

I just have a lot of trouble with this card, and figuring out a reason for it to exist. But if we're doing UB, I guess I can repost this wile I work on new cards for the set.

>>43431428
Okay, I had a good laugh.
>>
>>43431516
Tutors are black and that's essentially what she is
>>
File: Touma Seeking Salvation.jpg (93KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Touma Seeking Salvation.jpg
93KB, 752x523px
>>43430974
Because I like you, Toaru Anon.
>>
>>43431741
Neat
>>
>>43431741
"can't" not "cannot"
>>
>>43431741
"can't"
"pay costs for spells or abilities"
>>
File: Azalet Worldburner.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Azalet Worldburner.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>43431528
This version of Sift is rarely going to accomplish more than mill. Exile and bottom of library aren't especially different from eachother, so unless every single sift card deals with what is chosen for exile, it's kinda bad.
>>
File: CW03 Conclave Warden.png (194KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CW03 Conclave Warden.png
194KB, 375x523px
So what's a good, cantripable red effect that hasn't been done before? I am making a creature that gets a bunch of really minor activated abilities and I need one for red. I asked for cantrips because I figure most of those effects would be safe to put on a stick.
>>
>>43433441
Sift has to be one of the most divisive mechanics I have made thusfar. I have gotten a whole spectrum of feedback on it from one end to the other and made tons of tweaks already. It's just interesting to me how that's worked out regarding it. It's certainly still tweakable but I need a "mind mage" action keyword and Fateseal is too good, I think.

The cost on that card is worded strangely. I don't think you can respond to paying costs, so you just need to say "Sacrifice all lands you control:" I think.
>>
File: Weighstone.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Weighstone.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>43433502
"Sacrifice each land you control" means it can be activated when you control 0 lands. That's actually how I had it at first and was mostly okay with it, but so many people didn't understand that I figured making the card work how people THOUGHT it was supposed to work would be better. If there's no good way to make it like that though, I'll probably go back to "each land."

And the thing with sift as it currently is, is that it is weighed down with a choice that is really a nonchoice. Like, if you chose to exile one and the other two went on top, then sure, the choice is meaningful. But choosing which one to exile, when the other two are going on the bottom of the library, is kinda ridiculous and pointless, y'know?
>>
>>43433502
actually you don't even need the "you control", I'm a derp.
>>
>>43433550
People complained that it was stronger than Fateseal if you put them on the top (and rightly so) since basically what it does then is lets you exile the one good card, then put the other crappier ones on top so you control their next N-1 draws, which is why Fateseal is already strong. Making Sift like that would make it even nastier cause they would never get that good card to begin with AND you'd still control their next N-1 draws.
>>
File: Sparksword.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sparksword.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>43433447
>>
>>43433633
That makes a lot of sense, but that doesn't mean what it is right now isn't any less of a stinker.

Like, you get how much of a nonchoice it is, yeah? Exile one card and put the rest on the bottom? It's effectively just Mill N, minus graveyard stuff and largely unimportant statistics if your opponent shuffles their library.
>>
File: Training Montage.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Training Montage.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>43433447
Maybe this? "~ gains prowess until end of turn."
>>
>>43433694
Prowess is better than you think, especially when you can potentially draw fodder for it.
>>
>>43433567

All Is Dust says that you keep the "controls" thing as basically trinket text. Because "sacrifice all lands," while mechanically the same, just sounds really weird for what it actually does.
>>
File: bright initiates.jpg (146KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
bright initiates.jpg
146KB, 750x523px
>>43433646
>>43433694
Okay, well here's the mockup of the card in question, the two ways I am thinking of presenting it. I actually think I like the Prowess option better given the set's fluff, so I might do that instead. But I wanted to give substance to what I'm talking about so it's easier to understand.

>>43433681
The issue is that putting the cards into the grave is not the same as putting them on the bottom; in fact it is very different. That's why most of what's been given as feedback has largely been at odds with what you are saying. The way I had it initially was the opponent got to basically Scry the remaining cards but that got shot down. It was more of a choice but I understand why people didn't like it.
>>
>>43433751
I think prowess is worse than you think, especially when the card does nothing by itself.

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, of course, but currently I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>43433764
Yeah it really does sound odd.
>>
>>43433776
I hope the rarity is just an oversight. Should probably be an uncommon. Bump up the creature's usefulness a bit if you need to make it fit better at uncommon.

Hm, yeah, the firebreathing type thing is a bit out of place next to the other abilities. Unfortunately moonhold's red effect can't be on something repeated.

>The issue is that putting the cards into the grave is not the same as putting them on the bottom; in fact it is very different.

It is not different. It is a minor difference, unless the environment is heavy on graveyard interaction (this is becoming more and more common, but I still wouldn't say it's the norm). And relating it to mill still isn't the main point I'm making. It's that putting one card in exile and putting the others on the bottom of the library are so similar it's a hilarious nonchoice. Like, the difference it's going to make isn't worth the amount of time the mechanic demands. Not seeing that?
>>
File: The Half-Breed.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Half-Breed.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>43433880
>It is not different.

I missed a "very" in there. Supposed to be "not VERY different"
>>
>>43433880
>It is not different
Yes, it is, if you worry about balance at all outside Limited. And my set also has recursion so it's a concern within it as well. The main point you are making is fine, but the other point you are making is bunk. I see what you are saying but you are disregarding a very important point as trivial and it dulls your whole argument.

>Initiate
No, she's supposed to be common. That's why I want the weakest abilities I can find for each color. Yes, it's not NWO, but 99% of what I make is NWO compliant, or attempts to be, so I am giving myself a pass on this card.
>>
>>43433908
Still doesn't change the fact that your stance regarding mill vs exile doesn't gel with my set. Though, I do have to ask, why not just suggest a fix instead of going though all this trouble explaining something I know and we've been over at other times with this mechanic? It's a much easier solution to the problem.
>>
>>43433972
Eh, the majority of sift cards probably won't be at the borked levels eternal formats demand though. Still, I think it needs to be tweaked so that some kind of weight is attached to the choice of what to exile. Again, this is assuming not every card will specifically call out which one you exile like what you posted does.

>Initiate at common
Eh, alright. How come it's important that it's at common?

Ideas: tool 1, 1 damage to both players, loot 1 (might not actually be a red ability anymore), thing can't block this turn, thing with low power can't be blocked this turn, flip p/t (probably thing with power 1 or greater), MAYBE add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool. I personally like that one but I could also see you not liking it because it means you can have access to any of the abilities as long as you are GR. The once per turn limitation helps with that though. And the tap one makes it pure color filtering, so actually yeah on the tap model I definitely like that one.
>>
>>43434101
From your earlier responses I couldn't tell if you had yet got what I was saying about the nonchoice, so I was still trying to make that point.

Since a controlled scry makes the ability too much like a drawback or pointlessly value-neutral in what it's likely to accomplish, maybe the cards go back on top but then the player can shuffle? Shouldn't be an option if you have any permanents that can repeatedly sift though.

It's tough because fateseal is pretty much what you want, but people HATE fateseal and they're not entirely out of line for doing so, really.
>>
>>43434107
I can make Sift do that, but the issue is I am trying to improve on Ingest too, so making it reliant on another thing to be good feels like defeat in that regard. Basically, I am shooting for the elusive "UB evergreen" which I don't think I'll achieve but I can certainly try. I figured the "weight" came from the idea that you're bomb hunting or trying to get rid of troublesome cards so your opponents can't use them against you. The reason Ingest is crap is because it just topdecks, so you might not get anything meaningful. But since it's parasitic, that makes sense because it's just a cost for other things in the end. Sift is supposed to be better because it's supposed to be an acceptable extraction effect, which both U and B do, and be able to show up at common, which evergreens need to be able to do. So if it needs to be tweaked more, so be it, but I cannot let it be as good as Fateseal; that's the cutoff. It has to remain worse.

>initiate
It's not important, really. I just wanted to do a card like that at common and shake off NWO just this once. This set is going to be pretty crazy in theory so doing that shouldn't be too much issue. The "thing can't block" was another thought I had but it seemed too good on a stick.

So am I to understand that the tap one is the preferred one? I can make the effects a little stronger on that one since you can't use them all every turn with that one.
>>
>>43433781
Looking at Jeskai Student for example, a 1W 1/3 creature with prowess.
At the exact same cost, power, toughness, and rarity, you can also get flying, 3 life, or a couple other useful effects.

Considering that you are already cycling the card for R, the card effect should be minimal, and there is no way that prowess to all creatures you control is minimal.
>>
File: RUB01 Mindtrap Shade.png (198KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RUB01 Mindtrap Shade.png
198KB, 375x523px
>>43434279
>>43434206
>>43434107
Yeah, I don't hate Fateseal, but I understand why it cannot be evergreen or really even reprinted except sparingly. Hence Sift.

And yes, I do have plans where adding a shuffle would be a problem; pic related. Though, it's the only instance of this likely happening so maybe it's okay.
>>
>>43434279
I don't have a preference one way or the other on tap versus once per turn (although I realize that also needs a sorcery speed restriction or else the purpose is kinda defeated. You can double up on the abilities still otherwise). It's only if you also like the idea of red's color filtering that the tap one should be preferred, since there it makes a big difference. One option is, like, "thing with toughness 3 or less can't block" if you want to weaken it.

Yeah I don't have much to offer on sift right now. I reconsidered the opponent scrying option, but again, that still just seems like an amazing trade on their end. Lose a card from the library, which statistically could have been at the bottom anyways, to get a free scry, which actually makes an impact? Sure!

What if it was only temporary denial? Like, look at the top N, exile any number of them, and at the beginning of your next upkeep put them back on top in a random order. This way you are still denying their better cards for an amount of time, and it also fixes a fateseal issue in that the top of their library is only temporarily the things you have chosen to put back on top.
>>
>>43434393
>sorcery speed
Eh, not so convinced, since you're gonna need to run colors for all that, so if you do go 5 color for some reason, sure, you can do all that. Though honestly, given that she's supposed to be a newbie, the tap one is probably the best bet honestly, even though I like the other one better. If I do the tap one I might go 1/1 instead of 0/1 though, to at least give the option to swing. And the firebreathing will be replaced with either haste or "weak thing can't block", though mana filtering sounds like it could be decent too, since if you are running this thing you probably want the filter option to even your deck out.
>>
File: Wander the Wilds.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Wander the Wilds.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
Is this even worth existing?
>>
File: CG01 Bright Initiate.png (232KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CG01 Bright Initiate.png
232KB, 375x523px
>>43434561
Well, WotC is loathe to mess with mana abilities, which is why most ability counters can't target mana abilities. Well that and some rules shit about not being able to respond to paying costs and whatnot as well. So probably not able to exist, given that. Though you could do it as manland hate but that makes no sense in green, since green loves animating lands. I honestly dunno how you'd fix it.

>initiate
Well here's the prototype. I changed the black ability because I think I can get away with it, but I can change it back if not; they are both more than acceptable options to me. And of course, the mana filter is still on the table, if people would prefer it:

"R, T: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool"
>>
>>43434646
oops, the black ability was supposed to grant Menace. Derp. Well... that's on the table as an option too if anyone wants to chime in on it.
>>
File: Awaken Elements.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Awaken Elements.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>43434661
I prefer the previous black ability, since it seems like graveyard interaction is real enough in the set.

Here's some five color thing.
>>
>>43434794
I recall this card from a while back. I remember it prickling my "memory issues" sensibilities. Maybe you could use Awaken for it? I dunno. I just get easily bothered by memory issues. Monstrosity and Renown bother me too.
>>
File: Formless Charge.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Formless Charge.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
I feel like this card is interesting enough without the blue activated ability.

Chaff I should get rid of, or does it add enough to the card?
>>
>>43434872
I would use awaken but you have to choose the lands before the search happens. It also doesn't untap.

I think I'm going to leave it as is just because most permanent land reanimation is fine without marking anything. Since in real paper magic those lands are going to be moved up to where creatures are anyways, as the way of remembering it. Monstrosity and Renown are equally not that much of a memory issue at all, since the counters are effectively, even if not actually, markers for it.
>>
File: CW01 Solarion Supressor.png (229KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CW01 Solarion Supressor.png
229KB, 375x523px
>>43434909
Well, it makes things a whole hell of a lot harder to keep track of, that's for sure. The Enchantment itself is SUPER powerful, and easily built around. Honestly I would get rid of the blue part and add a bit that addresses creatures with P/T that are equal.
>>
>>43434973
I just don't like +1/+1 counters as markers since they so easily come from other sources, but that's just me. And yeah, moving them up to the "creature line" works; I always forget you can just do that with lands.
>>
>>43435019
Yeah, that's why I overpriced the ability. So that activating it more than once in a turn would not be common.

Still, I don't feel too bad about getting rid of it. I don't think I'll add anything for equal p/t guys though, going off of it being mostly build around.

>CW01
Seal is a weird combination of effects. Vines of vastwood and part of arrest. It feels a bit niche to me, still.
Then again I have a hard time liking custom keywords in general, so eh.
>>
>>43435116
>seal
Yeah it's coming with a set that will heavily feature spells, unlike most of current Magic, as well as creatures with activated abilities, so it should make for some fun counterplay (I hope). I understand people not caring for custom keywords though, so don't worry about that. Seal pops up in green too, in case you were wondering, and is actually based off Canopy Cover and Detain, so it can actually be used defensively too if need be.
>>
File: Library of Iskona.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Library of Iskona.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>43435184
>heavily feature spells, unlike most of current Magic

That's pretty neat. I've been interested in trying something along those lines too. I think Wizards has gone a bit overboard on making sure creatures are good, at this point.
>>
>>43434561
Put an overcosted (maybe discard a bunch of lands?) sac ability as a safety button.

>>43434646
Nitpick: Voidslime and the like can't target mana abilities because you never get a chance to target mana abilities - they don't use the stack.
>>
>>43435229
Yeah I hope it works out. I like creatures a lot but I feel that the game should be more like 50/50 creatures and spells, since as a planeswalker, you should have more tricks than "oh yeah? well eat rhino!"

>>43435229
Iskona
Comparing this to Archivist... it might be okay. It is not as easy to remove, but you don't get your cards till the end of your turn, so your offensive options are limited. However, for draw-go type decks, this is not a problem at all, and they would happily run this, so I worry about its costing. You might want to make it 3UU just to be safe.
>>
File: Glowfish.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Glowfish.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
weh
>>
>>43435332
You know honestly I just wish they hadn't used tapping for lands making mana. It should have been something else because it's easier to explain to newbies that one action can be reacted to, but another can't, when they don't share the same fundamental physical effect of turning the card sideways. I've actually had this come up on multiple occasions, and it's really annoying.
>>
>>43435345
That is an interesting amount of cheese. I would consider making it a 3/4 for balance.
I like it other then that.
>>
File: no-name.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
no-name.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
No art or name cuz I don't even know.
>>
>>43435508
This kinda strikes me as BR more than RG in nature, though I understand the green representing the pseudo-fight aspect it has. It'd be funny if you actually made it spellfight though:

"Target creature spell deals damage equal to its converted mana cost to target creature. Counter that spell if its converted mana cost is less than that creature's power."

I don't even know if that works but it'd be awesome.
>>
File: Magical Ambush.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Magical Ambush.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
>>43435616
That gave me a VERY weird idea. I know it says "counter" on it, but seriously it's barely an actual counterspell.
>>
>>43435786
I dunno how well this works since, unless you cast it at the earliest time you have priority, and they don't respond with whatever noncreature stuff they were gonna do anyway, the LIFO rule is gonna hose its utility. It's funny idea though.
>>
>>43435837
I don't really get what you're saying.

>Opponent casts creature, it's on the stack.
>Cast Magical Ambush
>Ambush Resolves
>Cast creature while opponent's creature is still on the stack, the spells fight.

The opponent can cast other instants and stuff in this time, sure, but their creature spell is still what was first in so it's not going to resolve before you can react.
>>
File: Martial Confluence.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Martial Confluence.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
So I just found out about the confluences. I'm sure other people have already been making some, show me what you've got. Pretty sure this one works as intended although the wording is a bit wonky as a result.

>>43422331

This fits the colors well but I really wish it were green just because Panglacial Wurm is, feels wrong to remove such a distinctive ability from one of the least diverse colors.

>>43431360

So you changed it from borderline useless to horrifically broken? Not having much luck finding that happy medium, eh?

>>43433447

I think this could be smaller, dying to shocks at least is a reasonable place for a 1-drop wall with "infinite toughness." Nifty card either way.

>>43433776
>>43433972

I'm really proud of you.

>>43434561

I think this is probably too good, all you need is some dorks and enchantment removal (both of which are widely available in-color as luck would have it) to go back to casting big things after you fill your hand. It would be a bit slow and wonky to build around but it's almost certainly breakable in the right hands.

>>43435508

Neat. Probably undercosted, but just barely.
>>
>>43435837
Assuming it's their turn.

They cast a creature spell and pass priority.
You cast Magical Ambush and pass priority.
They choose to do nothing, you choose to do nothing, and Magical Ambush resolves.
They choose to do nothing again and pass priority.
You cast your whatever, countering their original spell.

At least that's how I expect it'd work.

Also leads to the weird interaction that even if they Counterspell your Counter Creature, their original spell is still fucked. The wording is such that Magical Ambush's granted ability triggers on cast, not on resolution. So they want to counter war they have to blind counter Magical Ambush, not knowing if you even have a creature big enough to counter theirs.

Maybe, in awful incorrect wording...
>Magical Ambush, Instant, XG
>As an additional cost to cast ~, exile a creature card with CMC X from your hand.
>Counter target creature spell with toughness less than the exiled card's power.
>You may cast the exiled card without paying its mana cost.
>>
>>43435957
I do like the idea of the Confluences, so I hope people play with them. I am doing a spell-centric set so I'll likely dabble. This seems fine. The last mode made me double check it, but Cleaver Riot says it's okay. I assume no rarity because proof of concept.

>Warden
Yeah probably. 0/2 it is.

>Initiate
Okay, this made me chuckle. Thanks, dad.
>>
File: no-name.jpg (28KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
no-name.jpg
28KB, 375x523px
This would probably be better if it cost more and cantripped. But the main idea seems like it could be neat.
>>
File: CUB01 Frustrate.png (230KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CUB01 Frustrate.png
230KB, 375x523px
>>43436285
Hm. So basically tapdown but you can re-target it into another tap instead if you need to? Considering Narcolepsy, the costing is actually not that inappropriate.

>pic
I am bracing for impact on this one.
>>
File: Grasping at Sand.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Grasping at Sand.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>43436355
What kind of impact? All I have to say really is that it most likely should be uncommon.
>>
File: Alpine Augur.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Alpine Augur.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43436397
>uncommon
Hrm. Maybe.

I was more preparing for the possible anger at a 2 mana hard counter, even if the extra cost is fairly steep. Maybe it'll never come. That'd be nice.

>grasping
I remember this card, I think. I like it. The choice is not a very good one which makes it a good choice.

>>43436441
"Until end of turn, you may play that card." if Abbot of Keral Keep is to be believed.
>>
File: Child of Dawn.jpg (30KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Child of Dawn.jpg
30KB, 375x523px
>>43436510
>Until end of turn, you may play that card
Thanks
>>
>>43434794
>WUBRG: Win the game
Seems too powerful.
>>
File: armada wurm.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
armada wurm.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>43437631
k
>>
>>43437631
Not him, but how the hell does that win you the game? Two 5/5s for WUBRG with no evasion that still have summoning sickness... yeah nah. It's a lot of things but it's not "win the game".
>>
>>43437714
>>43437791
Misread it, thought it was a mega permanent rude awakening.
>>
>>43437714
I always thought the art for that card looked like a giant, armor-plated dick.
>>
File: Animist.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Animist.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>43438010
You're not alone.
selesnya wurms use protection
>>
File: Devour Magic.png (244KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Devour Magic.png
244KB, 375x523px
>>43435508
Limit it to spells you control and it can easily be 1 CMC.
>>
>>43439163
I think you should still have this cantrip even if it would whiff so you can cycle it out if it becomes dead.
>>
>>43439416
Not him
I agree
>>
>>43436510
Hard counters at 2 are not a problem if the drawback is big enough. Giving your opponent 3 life is barely a cost, since you can always do that and multiple instances show that 3 life is not even worth 1 mana.
>>
>>43442259
Cool, but where'd the three life thing come from? I don't have a hard counter in my set that gives anyone 3 life. I have one that counters creature spells, but this is the one of two hard counters the set will be getting, I think.
>>
>>43442327
Earlier in this thread a guy posted a hard counter that gives 3 life to your opponent as drawback for WU.

Later on he even added a You draw a card to the card, this is why I thought you said you would brace for impact.
>>
>>43442374
Oh. Nope, I just know 2 mana hard counters can draw a lot of hate so I quipped about it.
>>
File: Uneasy Living.png (289KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Uneasy Living.png
289KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Junktroller.full.jpg (165KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
Junktroller.full.jpg
165KB, 480x680px
>>43442981
>one man's trash is another man's home
>>
File: Synchronize Souls.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Synchronize Souls.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>tfw no slave-demon liberation faction
>>
File: Ragestoke Corona.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ragestoke Corona.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>43442981
I feel like this should be 1BG.
>>
File: Gamblers Art.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gamblers Art.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
Here's a pretty questionable card, kind of rules nightmare by nature but I think it's on the very border of what should be considered fair game for unofficial effects. The idea is that if you know this on top of your library, like after scrying or something similar, you can cheat by flipping the top card of your library but then have your cheating be immediately vindicated by the card text and made legal in context. Hypothetically you could also do this even when you aren't sure if the card is there but obviously if it misses then you're just a cheating cheaterface.

Is there a more elegant way to work this? Also, do the penalties work as intended? I just looked it up and "looking at extra cards" is normally a warning but the wording implied that that was for situations that could be plausibly accidental, if you're bolding revealing the top card of your library like this then it should indeed fall under "unsportsmanlike conduct - cheating" and result in a disqualification, right? The problem is that when you miss the reminder text won't be there to help rule on the situation so I need to know that it actually is severe enough when you fail to find flip this.

The Rogue typing creates a nice interaction with a single other card in the set. I know I should really use Tribal and might just cave in and use it but Tribal was such a dumb idea and it's so aesthetically unpleasing to see it on one card out of ~500 that I might just go full "bad custom card designer" mode and leave the typing as is. Really looking more for feedback on the more egregious issue with the card effects themselves.
>>
File: Intimidate.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Intimidate.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Mechanics.jpg (341KB, 1495x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mechanics.jpg
341KB, 1495x523px
Thoughts on the mechanics for my set?
Recycle is supposed to be a tribal thing for artifacts and instant/sorceries.
Enforce is blue/white, Pressure blue/red and Vehicle black/green.
>>
>>43448401
I know it's not what you're mainly asking about, but yeah that aught to be a Tribal Instant. Tribal is dumb, but so is making instants and sorceries have creature types, so you might as well be dumb in the Proper way if you're doing it.

As for the ability itself, there is certainly a better way to do it. You're clinging too much to the "gambler" feel that this horrendous version of it has. And I don't blame you, since without it the idea really isn't worth doing. I think it's pretty bad.

But, anyways, since no one will ever try to topdeck it without knowing it's there (beyond situations like goofing around and not caring in casual play, or if you are going to lose next turn ANYWAYS so you might as well play to your out) it could probably be a panglacial wurm type of deal. "If you are looking at ~ and would put it on top of your library, you may reveal it and put it into your hand instead." Sure, this loses the "gotcha" but it's the more sane way of going about it. Or maybe something weird like "If you looked at ~ this turn, you may cast it from the top of your library."

Really dunno if the wording is right, but I guess the main point is I think you should give up on the possible disqualification business that's nothing more than "cute" with the flavor and adds way too much trouble.
>>
>>43448509
Pressure is an ability word so it needs to be in italics.

I don't like any of them.
>>
File: Kill-Suit Clown.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kill-Suit Clown.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Thinking about old cards that made use of damage on the stack mechanics.
>>
>>43448401
So, are you trying to get people banned for cheating?
I'm not really ok with the idea of having a card legally rewarding you for cheating.

Also, this instant is the only one with a creature type in ~500 cards because of an interaction with a single other card in ~500?
>>
File: Scorching Runes.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Scorching Runes.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
This used to only hit creatures but then I realized players can also be enchanted and thought that might be interesting.

Too good now?
>>
>>43448797
Missed an "or player" at the end there
>>
File: Warden of Veledar Woods.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Warden of Veledar Woods.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Here's a not insane card to rebalance the force.

>>43448783

To be fair I am making liberal use of scry becoming evergreen so it's not like this is dependent upon the other card to be good, I only mentioned it to explain something that I knew would detract from the focus. That said I also remembered I have a few gofy-style "types in graveyard matter" effects floating around so I'll probably add tribal there just for that extra ounce of synergy even though it is really ugly.

>>43448797

It's niche enough to be a fair shock upside. Could maybe get nasty with curses but that sounds more like the birth of a fun archetype variant than a serious problem.
>>
>>43448797
I think it is ok, a bit pushed though.
>>
Has there been a set in actual magic or a set someone has made that is "opposite"? like red white acts like blue black? fluff wise could be done like mana is reversed, and half the set is "actual" or traditional colors infighting with these new interactions?
>>
File: Sanctified Smite.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sanctified Smite.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>43448403
Nice. I'd use it in a rush deck in a draft.

>>43448509
>Mechanics
vehicle seems like a very interesting cheese tool. I would make it, "... you may put a nonartifact creature from your hand..." for flavor reasons.
Enforce is really strong. It shuts down battle tricks or any form of midfight response. I would make Lawbound a 2/3 because of the power of enforce ontop of it's buff effect.
Pressure seems interesting but should specify what the CMC needs to be higher to trigger. So, "Whenever an oppone tcasts a spell with a higher converted mana cost then ~, [effect]". It would make things more clear and less confusing. Scout seems cool and is a nice retake on 1 mana draw and scry cards.
Recycle is really strong. It essentially gives your sparepart cards flash back and sometimes a bonus effect. I would consider adding a limitation to what recycle can hit past a tribal.

>>43448746
Like those white creatures that are used in the cephalipod breakfast combo deck?

>>43448797
Cool niche filling. I like it.

>>43448916
Feels like an uncommon with all that. Nice besides that.

>>43449035
Do you mean the colors have the other pairs mechanics but use them in a way their original colors would?
>>
>>43449035
Planar Chaos exists, and it is a shit concept.
>>
>>43449091
Thanks for the feedback.
>>
File: Treadermare.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Treadermare.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>43449091
Yo that is a VERY cool idea for convoke. Compared to Divine Verdict, I think the card might need to cost a bit more mana though. Maybe 3WW.
>>
File: Primed Reflexes.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Primed Reflexes.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>43449035

As in red gets counters and draw while blue gets burn and haste? That just sounds like a color bleed disaster with no payoff, you completely warp a fundamental aspect of the game and yet in the end it still plays the exact same just with a palette swap. It's more interesting to me to think about how a different color combination might try to emulate what another one does but in its own way, like finding the equivalent of mill in boros or giving dimir a lot of cheap aggressive tools without ruining the normal typing asfan.

So it's worth exploring extreme ideas like that but it's important to make sure you're actually making a worthwhile game in the end and you're definitely going to face a lot of resistance.
>>
File: Selesnya Figureheads.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Selesnya Figureheads.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>43449091
Oh also Clerics should be capitalized.
>>
File: Advanced Tactics.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Advanced Tactics.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>43449188

If that card existed I totally would use it in my retrace deck.
>>
File: Kalvan Gunsmith.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kalvan Gunsmith.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Drider Queen of Deathfuck.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Drider Queen of Deathfuck.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Einars Insight.jpg (31KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Einars Insight.jpg
31KB, 375x523px
>>43449242

It's hard to say for sure but this should probably cost about 2W based on the costing of other first strike anthems. The drawback here is only slightly relevant since often low-power creatures can't really do anything with first strike anyway. It's very environment dependent though so testing could easily reveal it to be fine as-is.
>>
File: Aublens Reserved.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aublens Reserved.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>43449182
I agree it is better then Divine Verdict, Divine Verdict is clearly made to be a shit card. A better comparison is Devouring Light which costs less by 1. I would consider the niche-ness of having to tap 3 clerics to make it fine.
>Treadmare
That is a spicy meatball of a rare in a convoke deck. I don't know how I feel on the haste, but I think it's fine.

>>43449188
This feels really weird and I'm some what confused to what it accomplishes.

>>43449206
Woops, my bad. Thanks for pointing it out.
>Selesynya
Feels simic more then selesyna, but not so much that it needs to be changed.

>>43449242
Wowser this has been nerfed a lot. it's still good though.

>>43449252
Oh man contraptions. This is a really cool idea for their function and I am behind it 100%

>>43449284
Someone has been clearly browsing the commander thread.
>Deathfuck
Really big and sticky. Could be a 3/7.
>>
>>43449351

I'm not sure why that isn't a multikicker.
>>
File: Marauder.jpg (514KB, 750x1569px) Image search: [Google]
Marauder.jpg
514KB, 750x1569px
I still haven't trashed this idea because ???
>>
File: Crimson Sindrinker.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Crimson Sindrinker.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>43449351
I agree with the other anon. This is almost multikicker. Yes it allows you to scry the right amount before the draw, but that is a really niche thing. Also I'm premature sure this would need to be a permanent to have that kind of ability.

>>43449502
>Marauder
For the second sentance, what is "it"? The discarded card? The creature? It needs to say this.
The mechanic besides that issue seems interesting but I feel it's being under costed on these cards. It's literally a loot keyword.
I would value it as being slightly better then prowess.
>>
File: Adherent of the Pearl.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Adherent of the Pearl.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>43449376

It's just looting that you can use now or save for later. Also works well with self-mill or discard effects I guess but those aren't as common in-color.

>your card

I generally like grace but the payoff here seems really disappointing for a 6-mana 4/4. At the very least you could give both keywords and probably also get away with putting something else on this. It's just really hard to imagine actually wanting to casting this in its current form.

>>43449406

Very different functionality. Multikicker requires you to pay all costs upfront and only resolves when the spell does, on-stack abilities can be broken up into multiple resolutions (so here you can scry once before deciding if you want to use it again) and still work even if the spell gets countered since they put their own triggers on the stack.
>>
>>43449691
>Very different functionality.

Maybe in theory. I think you're overestimating what that actually amounts to in play though.
>>
>>43449502

I liked the version where they "became marauding" much better, this one doesn't seem to have the space to warrant being a keyword.

>>43449646

As far as I know the only card they've ever printed an effect like that on is Lightning Storm, an instant.
>>
File: Aublen Curse Bearer.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aublen Curse Bearer.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>43449691
I'm trying to keep Reserved balanced for limited. I agree it could be strong and be fine. How does giving it vigilance and making it "lifelink and death touch" sound? Also here is the little dork talking in the flavor text of it.
>Pearl
Wowser that is a crazy kind of control. This does not feel like a common, it should be a rare.

>>43449804
Okay, so there is something with an ability like it. It's just from a weird set and the card is wonky.
>Imp dude
Feels odd for a Imp to be G but alright. He has a lot going on so I'll assume he is a mythic rare. I feel his T: ability should be, "T: Target opponent chooses two nonland cards in your graveyard. Put one of those into your hand." The reasoning is, the closest thing we have to this kind of grave fishing is tasigar.

The buff effect is really weird and is making it difficult to asset his tap ability, but i think it will be balanced.
>>
>>43449804

>Marauder

Well it's not meant to be evergreen, so I'm not especially concerned about space. And especially since for custom keywords I care about gameplay far, far more than design.
That being said, I've mostly reverted it to this version because of text space. I don't actually have anything against the state change beyond that, and that despite being in the minority it seems, I prefer the simplicity of the card draw being an always reward. Instead of it going all over the place with abilities that need to be worth a card.

>Azkavit

This really could just be mono green. While lots of cards COULD be less colors, this is one of the cases where I kinda lean towards maybe it also SHOULD be mono green.

Beyond that, is the base power and toughness thing worded right? Does a 3/7 work?
>>
File: Deny Harm.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Deny Harm.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
More stuff for the cleric tribal.
>>
File: Insatiable Catoblepass.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Insatiable Catoblepass.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
>>43449991
This is an extreme nitpick, but I think the card would be more cute if the effects happened in reverse order.
>>
File: convoke for cheap.jpg (121KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
convoke for cheap.jpg
121KB, 750x523px
I'm feeling the rat flag person could just be a common but at the same time it's free convoke cast fodder.

>>43450024
Hah you make a good point. I changed it.
>Catoblepass
Cool to see someone using Devour. Card is fine.
>>
File: Graygill Schemer.jpg (28KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Graygill Schemer.jpg
28KB, 375x523px
This may need to cost more. It's a closed environment though so it's hard to say, although it does limit future space quite a bit so maybe that's enough of a reason to drop it.

>>43449888

These cards are for a constructed only environment, rarity is completely irrelevant.

Aublen is cool but seems a bit slow, he enters as a 1/3 and grows very slowly while killing things very slowly and occasionally protecting things very slowly. The core concept seems totally fine but the numbers could use some adjusting, it'll be tough to find the right balance.

>>43449969

>marauding

Well, even as a player I prefer the other version since the cards tended to be better on average. Red looting is already on the weaker end of mechanics and making it even less reliable just makes me uncomfortable enough that I'd probably never use this ability unless it was a "draw what you need or lose next turn" situation. I'm not much of a spray and pray red player though so that could be part of the problem.

>azkavit

That's actually a really good point, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure that wording works but could also see how it wouldn't, I'll leave it for now since the card is already super wordy but there is definitely merit to spelling it out more fully.

>>43450024

This is pretty neat.
>>
File: Aublin ALT.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aublin ALT.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>43450244
How about this for Aub?
>Graygill
That is a pretty strong effect. I like it.
>>
File: powerpuff levelers.jpg (242KB, 1443x524px) Image search: [Google]
powerpuff levelers.jpg
242KB, 1443x524px
With the reveal that we're going back to Innistrad...
>>
>>43449188
>#TheDredgeShallRiseAgain
>>
File: Never ending flame.png (339KB, 376x528px) Image search: [Google]
Never ending flame.png
339KB, 376x528px
>>
>>43449091
That name makes no sense. Adjectives can't modify verbs.
>>
>>43449351
>making a card strictly better than jace's ingenuity
>common
Why?
It's a fine idea other than that.
>>
>>43452713

They're a rarity hipster.
>>
Has anyone noticed how much easier it is to find art of females than males? I'm talking about quality art, not any art in general. Not complaining but it is kinda irritating when it makes you look like you're waifuing/being a perv when you aren't trying to. Or maybe I'm overthinking it.
>>
>>43452654
I believe those are called adverbs?
>>
File: Clearmind Candles.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Clearmind Candles.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>43452765
People of both sexes statistically enjoy looking at women more then men. So following that logic, it would make sense for more people to want to make art of women.
>>
File: Thought Monitor.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Thought Monitor.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>43452765

Ladies are more aesthetically pleasing, so they get drawn more in fantasy art.
Here's a dude though.

>>43452825
Is there any time this is different from protection from instants and sorceries?
>>
>>43452779
"Sanctified" is not an adverb.
>>
>>43452885
Can't be targetted by auras
>>
>>43452919
Why can't an action be made holy?
>>
>>43452750
Commons being better than an uncommon is totally acceptable, jace's inginuity being a common is significantly more problematic, and there shouldn't exist a strictly better ingenuity in general.
>>
>>43452947
Yeah they don't believe in generalizations about rarity like that. "It's all contextual to the set it's in" or whatever. Apparently +2 CA is fine at common in their set.
>>
File: BU01 Waste Pleanty.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
BU01 Waste Pleanty.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>43452885
Other anon is half right. They can't be targeted by auras when they are cast. If you flicker an aura, it can be attached to the creature because attaching the aura happens on entry.
>T. Monitor
Interesting kind of soft control. You could use this to deny spell casts.
>>
File: MechanicalParasite.jpg (144KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
MechanicalParasite.jpg
144KB, 750x1046px
>>
File: Faithful Bannerkeeper.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Faithful Bannerkeeper.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>43453036
This feels all over the place and the black is very forced. It should not have such good toughness with how much value it gives your spells. Make it a 3/5, drop the death touch, and make it a 3UR.
>>
>>43452654
Too bad "smite" is a noun as well as a verb.
>>
>>43452919
>Fritata is not a verb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcW7ttZfZ8c
>>
>>43453151
The joke
>>
File: createcard.jpg (25KB, 400x560px) Image search: [Google]
createcard.jpg
25KB, 400x560px
Custom commander games with friends coming up. Thoughts?
>>
File: Fuldoran Flashstrike.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fuldoran Flashstrike.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>43450375

Awesome, that looks so much better.

>>43452713

Is Jace's Ingenuity actually considered a well balanced card? It always seemed slightly on the lower power end to me, strong when you can cast it but expensive enough to keep it from being phenomenal. Ingenuity with a minor upside seems like the sweet spot for a big draw spell but maybe I'm off base on that. Do note though that you're overpaying for a slightly better divination if you actually use the upside though so much of the time it will end up just being a vanilla ingenuity.

>>43452750

More like a constructed player, which when you think about it is less hip than the more recent brand of trendy limited design.

>>43452825

Could easily cost 1W or get some small extra upside. This is very similar to hexproof but slightly worse and 1G gets you hexproof with an evasion upside. Admittedly the color shift does warrant losing some power but not that much.

>>43452885

Very pushed in any format where a handful of staples see play in a wide variety of decks. A bear with the hand reveal and "gain 4 life for each of your turns" is already pretty solid, getting even one free silence out of it just oozes value. It's a nice design though and not necessarily unfair depend on environment.

>>43453036

Old joke, sad to see it still hasn't been modified to actually be mechanically parasitic. Whoever made it apparently didn't understand what that term meant or why it was a problem for Arcane.
>>
>>43455648
"you control" instead of "your control"

I would recommend "cmc of 1 OR LESS"
>>
>>43455684

Sold.
>>
File: Zyrac Rakdos Adept.jpg (60KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Zyrac Rakdos Adept.jpg
60KB, 375x523px
>>43455379
That looks like a real mess. Here is a cleaner version. Sorry for changing his race, if that matters. I don't have any good artwork of human fire mages. I would suggest changing his name to, "Zyrac, Rakdos Philanthropist" because it sounds funny to think of a Rakdos person as a philanthropist and because he gives your opponents a chance to loot.
>>
File: Szen:Scorchfang.png (956KB, 1644x1103px) Image search: [Google]
Szen:Scorchfang.png
956KB, 1644x1103px
my first transform. might be too good
>>
File: Coming Apart.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Coming Apart.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
Too cheap? Too strong?
>>
>>43456187
Yes and yes.
>>
>>43456187
You need to make the choices refer to the enchanted player as you control the enchantment
>>
File: Coming Apart.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Coming Apart.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>43456242
>>43456239
Is this better?
>>
File: Bloodoath Channeler.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodoath Channeler.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>43456183
It's pretty strong? The issue is less it's strength but more the relationship between the two sides of the card. A transform creature has a clear relationship between both sides. A */* with lifelink doesn't have much to do with a fire breathing dragon with pro red.
I would also argue that Szen is just as strong, if not stronger, then Scorchfang and that's abnormal for transform creatures. Usually the first form is weaker then the second.

I would try making some simpler cards first before tackling something like transform creatures.

>>43456187
Needs the aura sub typing even if it is a curse.
This card is very strong and needs some CMC changes and text changes. Here is my suggested wording:
>Coming Apart 2BB
>Enchantment
>When ~ enters the battlefield, target player gains control of it.
>At the beginning of your upkeep, you may discard two cards or sacrifice a nonland permanent. If you don't, you lose 3 life.

>>43456310
Less potent and I would consider balanced enough for print, but still very strong.
>>
File: Agnosia.jpg (30KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Agnosia.jpg
30KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43456359
That's an odd p/t to have for a convoke helper
>>
>>43453151
Shouldn't this be a "Whenever ~ is tapped to pay..." triggered ability rather than a replacement effect?

Unless he untaps to Convoke, rather than taps, which would be sort of wacky and cool.
>>
File: The Presence of Death.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Presence of Death.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Conjured Protector.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Conjured Protector.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
I just realized this might be much too powerful.
>>
File: Untiring Elder.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Untiring Elder.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>43456420
Yes it is. I decided to make a wonky common because reasons.

>>43456391
I like it, even if the card has some weird text issues and feels more RR then BB. Why are you using the clear card border? Or at least part of it?

>>43456606
Your idea is cool, here you go it's a card now. Also you are right on the wording issue. I have Bloodoath fixed but not Faitful it seems. Thanks for the point out. Also fuck the new convoke rules text. It is so... weenie for the lack of a better word.

>>43456675
That is a common or uncommon, not a rare. Could be 3 mana.

>>43456740
Alright lets say you get hit for 5 damage. It basically has X=2 now. It is a 4/4 with flash FOR FREE at least. I feel it should be XX2 and a 1/1. Make it an uncommon.
>>
File: Morticulture.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Morticulture.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>43456804
I changed it to XX3.

How about this recursion engine
>>
File: Aldruhn Seat of House Redoran.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aldruhn Seat of House Redoran.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>43456804
I somehow imagined a card like that to be a 2/2. Perhaps you could create a new keyword for un-tap convokes? Could be interesting.

>>43456740
If it's going to have flash, I think XX is more appropriate.

>>43456908
I like the flavor. Clever name. I wonder whether the second ability ought to have a nominal mana cost, even just a {1}?
>>
File: 1446613844795979.png (289KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1446613844795979.png
289KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Into the Abyss.jpg (29KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Into the Abyss.jpg
29KB, 375x523px
>>43456934
I actually think the CMC needs a bump

I don't know if two mana is a fair cost to effectively give a creature +2/+2 on a land.
>>
>>43456187
>>43456310
I think the player is allowed to choose to discard if they have 0 cards in hand currently, which makes it absolute trash, so if that is the case fix that somehow.
Second version seems slightly weak even after fixing the issue (compare to phyrexian arena) but printable.
>>
>>43457049
Standard hybrid comment, but can monoblack exile creatures?
>>
File: Image[1].jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image[1].jpg
28KB, 223x310px
>>43457114
>>
>>43457114
It can
>>
File: Image[1].jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image[1].jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>43457114
Black is the best at removing creatures. It follows they get creature exile.
>>
File: Mephuns Retribution.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mephuns Retribution.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
I've had this set named "Gay Demons + clerics" for a while, you would have thought I would have had something going on in the flavor sooner then this.

>>43456908
XX3 sounds good.
Mort is pretty clever. I don't think it needs any changes. You could slap some flavor text on it.

>>43456934
Eh the faction already has a good number of keywords and trends. It has:
Convoke (duh)
Grace
"[Effect] for each [thing] tapped to pay this spells cost"
Curses

>Aldruhn
Wow that is a really strange land also has a formatting error. Should be: "W/R, T:..." For active abilities it's always mana cost, tap cost, write out text cost.
Other then that it's fine? I could see it coming in tapped but the lack of a land type makes it fine.

>>43457037
You really need to get magic set editor. This is a cool card but it looks real gross. Also it should be, "... +1/+1 counters, put all of those counters onto ~"

>>43457049
Interesting take on hybrid spells. I like it. Could be uncommon.

>>43457114
Sometimes yes.

>>43457138
>goat_for_the_throat.png
>>
File: Curse of the Flaming Soul.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of the Flaming Soul.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>43457037
Should read "with +1/+1 counters on it, move all those counters"
And you'll find that MSE has a dotted line in the text box, which, clicked under, will allow you to write flavor text that is automatically italicized, as it should be.

>>43457049
"it" is a bit unclear, and might make it sound like you're returning the card you drew. I think it would be written "return that creature" instead.

I also thought that since Ald'ruhn lacks a T:{1} ability, and since flanking and bushido only proc when blocked (not allowing the creature to do any more damage if not blocked) that it might be alright. What do you think?

>>43456804
I like to use the clear card border for some cards, if the art I choose seems to fit it. I admit that the regular fits better for "Coming Apart," though. I changed it.
>>
>>43456804
untap, reveal a card with convoke from your hand; add W to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast spells with the same name as the revealed card.
I think this wording works better and as far as I can tell does exactly the same thing.
>>
>>43457178
>Strength
Are you not a native English speaker? Because the usual term is Power.
>>
>>43457178
shit I'm dumb, should read "power"
>>
>>43457190
Not necessarily, because that doesn't force you to follow through with casting said Convoke spell, merely indicate that you might.
>>
File: Coming Apart.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Coming Apart.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>43457091
I wonder if this is more functional, altogether..?
>>
File: Garruk Merciless Hunter.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Garruk Merciless Hunter.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>43457169
Not really seeing the red. Seems just heavy black. If it was damage instead of life loss it would be acceptable

Did I mention I love G/B
>>
File: Banish Being.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Banish Being.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>43457233
>>43457190
I like the idea of bluffing spells to fuck with your opponent. It's why I float mana during my opponents turn. It's an intimidation tactic.

>>43457178
Very strong, could be 1RR. In a more defensive deck this makes your opponent throw their little guys into you and gives you a way to pick them off.

>>43457239
You could use the text suggestion I made forever ago on the first two versions.

>>43457253
RB gets uncountable sometimes. See murder games. It also gets "REGENERATION NOT ALLOWED". It's just if Rakdos had a board wipe, but with a gay demon doing it.
>Garruk
You should make the -8, "...You may cast cards this exiled way for their converted mana cost." or else you need the right colors. Also it should have a cap of cards it can exile to keep someone from getting rid of all the creatures.
>>
File: 1446615521142066.png (290KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1446615521142066.png
290KB, 375x523px
>>43457178
>>43457169

This a little better?
>>
File: Wei Lo The Serene.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Wei Lo The Serene.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>43457335
Planeswalker ults should have game-warping effects like removing all creatures from decks, IMO.
Also there's this asshole violating what I just said
>>
File: Fulnar Cleanser of Worlds.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fulnar Cleanser of Worlds.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>43457338
The text is pretty darn cleaned up, but when listing keywords it's only the first one that gets capitalized. Also you should reaaaallllly get magic set editor. The site you are using just is sloppy looking and gives you far less control over building cards.

>>43457365
>Wei Lo
>Wee low
>Someone who crouches to pee
Also they shouldn't be instant wins, thats boring. They should be high impact and interesting but not a always win-con.
>>
>>43457335
Thank you. I followed your advice slightly improperly. I'll fix it.

I like Banish Being, as it's an inverse Swords to Plowshares. But nowadays I think, what about an inverse Path to Exile?
>>
>>43457408
Wei is pronounced like "Way"
>>
>>43457335
>I like the idea of bluffing spells to fuck with your opponent. It's why I float mana during my opponents turn. It's an intimidation tactic.
Yeah, but it's also a free untap that happens to give you conditional mana and reveals one card from your hand. If you have something that taps him for value then you can continue to reveal the same card again and again and untapping him as much as you'd like.

Forcing the rest of the Convoke spell is the "cost" for the untap ability. You could stick a "Activate this ability only on your turn and only once each turn" sort of rider, but that loses the nuance of Convoke that if you have a way to untap your creatures, you can use them for multiple convokes. Likewise, if you can repeatedly tap him safely, you should be able to use him for multiple convokes.
>>
File: Douglas McGuire.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Douglas McGuire.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>43457408
JTMS, Karn, Ajani Steadfast, Domri, Narset and Venser effectively end the game when they ult. That's the reward for keeping them alive for so long.

And now here's a walker without an ult.
>>
File: Total Obliteration.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Total Obliteration.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>43457424
I dislike a land with a 4 mana bounce ability. If it could only hit your creatures I would be fine with it.
>Inverse PtE
Pic related.

>>43457479
Interesting. What is gunslinging?
>>
File: Hired Gun.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hired Gun.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>43457540
This
>>
>>43457540
Saccing a land doesn't make it a red effect
>>
File: Step.jpg (198KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
Step.jpg
198KB, 1125x523px
I'm surprised Wizards hasnt' done something like this. Guess Storm scared them off too badly.
>>
File: Balmora Seat of House Hlaalu.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Balmora Seat of House Hlaalu.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
I struggled with the special ability of this one. They're supposed to be politically minded, bribing types who are also constructive and generally ordered/"good"

>>43457540
Ah, right. The idea was for it to only affect your own. I'll rewrite that.
>>
File: Remove Interior.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Remove Interior.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>43457567
Interesting effect. Seems really strong.

>>43457579
R has it's moments where it throws away lands for some kind of advantage. Aggressive Mining and Magmatic Insight is a good example.

>>43457642
I'd like the wording more if it was, "Step-- If you've cast two or more spells this turn, [effect]". That way the requirement for the keyword is more clear.

>>43457648
That isn't UW at all. UW would detain or scry and heal, or flying and heal. Also UW is not inherently good or bad, just like any color combination. The Azorius did some pretty awful shit, like exile an entire city area with no real warning to it's population.
>>
File: Foreign Quarter.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Foreign Quarter.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43457755
Completely forgot that it should also untap foreign quarter.
>>
>>43457730
Saccing lands doesn't let you do anything you like with it
>>
>>43457642
If it includes the spell, just use 'if you cast another spell this turn'
>>
File: Balmora Seat of House Hlaalu.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
53KB, 375x523px
>>43457730
Perhaps this is better..?
>>
>>43457812

You should definitely add a tap symbol to the cost of the detain ability, otherwise you can use it more than once each turn, detaining the same creature you control multiple times, but detaining all of your opponent's creatures.
>>
File: Sinbeasts Offer.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sinbeasts Offer.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>43457812
The detain needs to cost a tapping or else you can just keep detaining one of your creatures and detain all of theirs.
>>
File: Balmora Seat of House Hlaalu.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
53KB, 375x523px
>>43457848
>>43457870

Thank you.
>>
File: Echostep.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Echostep.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Weh
>>
File: Revealer.jpg (32KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Revealer.jpg
32KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Edenmire Fort.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Edenmire Fort.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>43456740

Yes. A free 2/2 is already pretty strong and this will often be bigger. I'd make it XX but also increase the flat mana cost as well. Remember that you have to balance around both combat damage and life payment.

>>43456804

Very cool.

>>43456934

Pretty strong, +2/+2 on defense and +1/+1 on offense are both very good since they are repeatable. The legendary tag and weak mana might mitigate it some but the second effect should still probably cost more.

Why is Redoran red? They seem pretty solidly white, maybe WB due to the corruption of the aristocrats and their pursuit of wealth. I guess the problem is that Hlaalu is also pretty much WB... the issue with making magic sets about political parties is that political parties are mostly pretty similar in their methods, making color identities difficult to establish unless you force it. Telvanni is maybe a bit sultai-ish at least but then you've still got three major factions running off of black mana, four if you include Dagoth...

>>43457424

...also a fair interpretation but doesn't solve the other problem. This one seems more balanced but is still kind of a value nightmare over time in grindier matchups. Having it hit the opponent's creatures could just be too much versatility though.

>>43457540
>>43457730

What they mean is that exiling a creature isn't a red effect even if the additional cost is red. You could do a large amount of damage and have it exile if the creature dies but that's about as close as red gets to that kind of removal and bleeding the pie here doesn't seem to do anything worthwhile since making red removal more versatile doesn't actually do anything to make the color more interesting, it's just bleed for the sake of bleed.

>>43457812

The detain effect is way too good in token colors, possibly even with the tap addition. Also not sure why the hyper capitalists are blue, they're pretty heavily black.

>>43458397

Slow but "4-mana 3/3 draw three bad cards" is still pretty pushed.
>>
File: 1446642948312261.png (269KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1446642948312261.png
269KB, 375x523px
hmmm
>>
>>43421440
would use as general
>>
File: Heretic Harvest.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Heretic Harvest.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>43460709
This is a common creature. It's fairly boring.
>>
>>43461095
oh i know, it was more just a test
>>
File: Mephun Revoker of Law.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mephun Revoker of Law.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
This guy feels kind of bring for a mythic, I dunno. Any suggested changes?
>>
File: Balmora Seat of House Hlaalu.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
55KB, 375x523px
>>43460486
Better..?
>>
File: Bout.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bout.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
I'm new at this and I'm awful at names
>>
File: Mephun Revoker of Law V2.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mephun Revoker of Law V2.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
Here is a different version of >>43461279 . I think it is more fitting for RB.

>>43461368
Wow that is a really cool kind of life/death effect. I would like it more if the lose/gain triggered at the end of turn to avoid making it, "You always lose 4, but your opponent easily loses more."

>>43461429
That is pretty crazy. Also you all lose the game if someone plays Bile Blight on one of them. I'm feeling this should be 6 mana.
>>
File: Bout.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bout.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>43461429
Well I fixed the fucked wording and took the 6 mana advice
>>
File: Fighters Guild.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fighters Guild.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Mages Guild.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mages Guild.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Albino Velsonin.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Albino Velsonin.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>43461634
>>43461641
These are so ridiculously strong. The fact they pump your creatures for 1 mana, or 2 if you count the land tapping is stupidly good. The added temp keyword for your buffed creatures is too much.
The abilities need to be costed higher and the land comes in tapped.
>>
>>43461633
"when this creature dies"
>>
>>43461633
At the moment, there is no practicable way to get rid of that lose condition except for a counter at cast time. Consider making it an enchantment?

>When ~ enters the battlefield, each player puts six 4/4 Sigil creature tokens onto the battle field.
>Whenever a player controls no Sigil creatures, that player loses the game

This gives some amount of removal opportunity.
>>
File: 2015-11-05-01-01 239.jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-05-01-01 239.jpg
66KB, 312x445px
>>43461696
I thought their pump ability balanced in light of Gavony Township.

I think I will add a clause reading..

"At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control no Legendary Lands, detain ~" to represent the idea that a guild is worthless without a city to put it in. Perhaps this will balance it more acceptably?
>>
File: Corprus Rot.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Corprus Rot.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Sahqo-Strunmah the Red Mountain.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sahqo-Strunmah the Red Mountain.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Storm of Gods.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Storm of Gods.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Another way to do Epic.
>>
>>43463471
If they have one damage spell in there, they win...

>cast lightning bolt from graveyard
>it goes to the graveyard
>goto 10

It should be something more like "Until end of turn, instants and sorcery cards in your graveyard have Flashback {0}"
>>
File: Vivec City of Light and Magic.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Vivec City of Light and Magic.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>
>>43464532
You should install the fonts.
>>
>>43462221
>gavony town pump CMC4 and 2 colors
>yours is CMC1 with only U
What.
>>
>>43464813
Mine is one target. Gavony is all controlled. Reading comprehension.
>>
File: Vivec City of Light and Magic.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Vivec City of Light and Magic.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>43464784
I didn't have the after M15 set installed.. Thanks for pointing it out. Cheers.
>>
>>43464947
Battlegrowth on a land stick is not okay, anon. Especially one that also grants evasion or other benefits too.
>>
File: Fighters Guild.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fighters Guild.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>43465062

Do you think this might balance it better?
>>
File: Mages Guild Apprentice.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mages Guild Apprentice.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>43465182
With creatures such as this
>>
File: Gift of Pala.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gift of Pala.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>43461095
Any specific reason you want this to bypass regeneration?
Exile and -N/-N effects already exist.
>>
>>43421531
"Loses all abilities" has been printed on 12 cards, more than half of which are modern.
>>
>>43466188
And all of them either set the P/T or remove the creature type.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 151

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.