[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious Question: What caused the decline in popularity for boxing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 22

Serious Question: What caused the decline in popularity for boxing? Last night was the first time I've ever watched Boxing and made me wonder why it isn't more popular.
>>
>>77876679
because heavy weight firghts are hug fests, and no one wants to watch 2 manlets fight.
>>
>>77876679
MMA is better, you see a guy brutally getting beaten up

Boxing is boring
>>
>>77876679
>What caused the decline in popularity for boxing?

Don King
>>
>>77876679
A few reasons
The heavyweight division, which for some reason, anglos love, is dead. There hasn't been an elite heavyweight boxer since Lennox Lewis. You have the Klitchko's, but their bland, and have literally no competition. Also, there are just too many boxing organizations, and too many belts. Nobody knows who's the champion of what.
>>
>>77876760
>millenials
muh brutality
muh blood
>>
>>77876679
Corruption. For some reason, a particular demographic took control of the sport and ended up running it like Detroit city government.
>>
>>77876866
>muh class
>muh tradition
>>
>>77876819
>Also, there are just too many boxing organizations, and too many belts.
why is this even a thing in boxing?
>>
Something better came along.
>>
>>77876679
Most sport fans are what you would call "casuals" that don't really understand much about the mechanics of the sport they're a fan of. These casual boxing fans don't really appreciate the art itself, intricate footwork, head movement etc, but rather just want to get knocked out(take >>77876760 for example)
This is why boxing was big in the 80's, it had many aggressive fighters and there wasn't really a lot of other combat sports to watch on TV in the 80's. Now with the rise of MMA, which is a more brutal sport, those previous casual boxing fans can get their fix of blood and brutality from there. To be honest, the fanbase of boxing seems better to me without the people who don't really care about the art, but financially it takes a hit.
>>
>>77876679
I watched yesterday's match and saw exactly why boxing wasn't more popular. Boxing is a sport not a fight
>>
>>77876679

Most people only care for the heavyweight scene which has been in a big lull although the scene is slowly on the rise again.
>>
>>77876679
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohhFsh1ksM
>>
>>77876679
Mayweather literally ruined boxing

From his tactics, to his style, to the ZERO at the end of his record, and the fact that he made it all about money instead of the best fighting the best

Mix that with a shit generation of heavyweight fights and>>77877270
and that about does it

Having said that, its not as dead as people say and there are a lot of great boxers coming up right now.
>>
>be me
>everyone saying last nights fight was boring
>thought it was just as good as any UFC fight

Idk man.
>>
because the big boxing matches no longer feature boxing, they're just exhibitions of dancing around the ring and hugging
>>
>>77877270
>but financially it takes a hit
Yea, you're either making millions or barley making ends in boxing, there's no middle class in the sport like UFC where all the fighters can make a nice living..

That's why majority of athletes pick MMA over Boxing, it has more financial security.
>>
File: yoda.png (33KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
yoda.png
33KB, 128x128px
>>77876679

Feminism. Women can't have real power in a society that doesn't abhor violence.
>>
>>77876679
It's on decline because normies prefer edgier sport
>>
>>77877270
>To be honest, the fanbase of boxing seems better to me without the people who don't really care about the art
>To be honest, the fanbase of boxing seems better to me without the people who don't really care about the art

this. /thread
>>
>>77876679
people like the klitschkos and mayweather sucked the fun out of it with their defensive style of boxing and making it all about the business
>>
>>77876679

Most of the top boxers are unlikable cunts and spend the majority of their careers fighting nobodies to boost their stats.
>>
>>77876679

white Americans got fed up with watching blacks dominate and UFC capitalised on with by marketing to them
>>
File: 1503500732071.jpg (80KB, 600x901px) Image search: [Google]
1503500732071.jpg
80KB, 600x901px
>>77876679
because betas crave to see fighting to show how they want to be masculine and box is not as linked as MMA to lifting, which most men love to do now in order to be noticed by and please women
>>
>>77878125

I see that Irish are still trying to drink this thing away.
>>
File: smug peek.png (219KB, 370x480px) Image search: [Google]
smug peek.png
219KB, 370x480px
neither sport is that popular desu, only popular fighters are popular

Mayweather, Tyson, and McGregor are the three biggest ppv draws of all time because they're worth watching for one reason or another

boxing itself is a pillow fisted hug fest with between two literal whos

mma is just a shitty kickboxing and wrestlefuck organization with hardly any talent

mma had a bit of a decline after gsp left i remember correctly, nobody outside your little circles gives a shit about either sport. people follow fighters, the reason this insecurity came up is because people see the small cult mma and wonder why boxing aparently doesn't have one. it does, it's just mostly not in the us and it's not advertised
>>
>>77878060
>blacks dominate
Boxing started tanking the second niggers stopped dominating it.
>>
>>77878220
>mayweather
>exciting to watch

So last night was your first boxing match ever?
>>
most people are plebs.

join us in /box/ lad
>>
File: DIKQ1-vWAAIQP2B.jpg (36KB, 638x483px) Image search: [Google]
DIKQ1-vWAAIQP2B.jpg
36KB, 638x483px
>>77876679
>>
>>77878432
That's a great subreddit
>>
All belt giving orgs are corrupt as fuck and MMA is better.
>>
>>77877106
>>77877106
jews
>>
>>77878418
>strawman
>misinterpreting someone's argument to make it easier to attack

yeah lad, last night was my first boxing match
>>
It is still really popular, what the fuck are you niggers talking about? The British scene is as good as it has ever been.
>>
File: kek.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>decline of boxing
>still the biggest form of combat sports by a large margin

Friendly reminder

UFC biggest PPV - 1.6 million
Boxing biggest PPV - 4.5 million

There's a reason Conor Mcgregor literally begged a retired boxer to change his bum life by whooping his ass inside the boxing ring
>>
>>77877635
oh, please, if it wasn't going to be mayweather it was going to be someone else. it happens in every game, in every sport -- someone comes along with impeccable defense, wins everything, and people get butthurt. don't act like boxing was worse off just because he played the game better than anyone ever
>>
File: bo-jackson-nike.jpg (77KB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
bo-jackson-nike.jpg
77KB, 1024x717px
The talent pool drying up do to the rise of other sport orgs such as NFL and NBA. Boxing was at its height when poor black males flooded into the sport. Now they have other interests. Combine this with American society softening up in general and its declining interest in bloodsports.

People like to say Don King and corruption killed boxing but thats not true. Boxing at its height was way more corrupt and pretty much run by the mob in certain parts of the country. Young males nowadays would rather shoot for that scholarship through football/basketball/baseball than get their brains bashed in in some dingy boxing gym.
>>
>>77879024
>UFC biggest PPV - 1.6 million
>Boxing biggest PPV - 4.5 million

The UFC puts on a PPV every month. How many boxing PPVs are there in a year that get more than 400k buys? Maybe 2 or 3.
>>
File: 1503783619515.png (59KB, 188x202px) Image search: [Google]
1503783619515.png
59KB, 188x202px
>>77879334

Boxing has had 3 PPVs so far do over 1 million buys.

UFC has had 1 and it starred Jon Jones who got popped for roids and is now banned
>>
>>77879398
>hey look I made this thing and sold it for $100!

>ok, I made 20 things and sold them for $50 each

The first line is boxing.
>>
The rise of Lennox Lewis and the start of Wlad Klitschko reign
>>
>>77876819
Everyone loves heavyweights because that's actual boxing, not fairies prancing around each other and slapping their gloves around.
>>
>>77879398
>UFC has had 1

Are you being dumb on purpose

http://thesportsdaily.com/mma-manifesto/top-selling-ufc-ppvs-of-all-time/

https://www.tapology.com/search/mma-event-figures/ppv-pay-per-view-buys-buyrate
>>
>>77879884
It's slow and clumsy
>>
Money and it became a pussified shell of what it used to be. When people hear a big boxing match, they instantly think "Oh shit! Two of the best go one on one!", but sadly they are shown that these guys are getting paid massive bank to clinch 5x a round, land 20 hits a round (5 of which are actual power hits, the rest of them are jabs), etc. It rubbed people the wrong way and they just got tired of the whole act. Now MMA comes along and gives people exactly what they want from a big fight. Boxing died when they decided to become a sport where points and judges are more important than a fight with KO's. MMA became a massive hit when they showed people that you can be a sport and still have a fight.
>>
kikes like Bob Arum
>>
>>77879023
lol
>>
>>77876679

Heavyweights
Olympic corruption
Having 4,000 belts
Regular corruption
Boxers being illiterate fucks
Criminal element in boxing is huge
Don fucking King

>>77877635
youhave to be pretty fucking young to say that.
go watch 10 Ali fights and tell me how "exciting" they are.
>>
>>77876679

The decline only really applies to the US. Its still pretty damn popular in a lot of the world. And the reason why it lost popularity in America is simple - Americans stopped dominating it, the HW division especially. At the same time the more US centered MMA started getting bigger.
>>
>>77880096
>Nunes-Cupcake
>implying

also surprised the Iceman is only up once, figured him vs Rampage would've gotten a shitload of buys
>>
watch mma for technical striking and wrestling/grappling and the occastional flat out brawl

boxing is great too
>>
>>77878125
>lifting
literally creating 24/7 extra work for your heart for no reason
>>
>>77876679
Muhammad Ali getting Parkinsons and punch drunk boxers in general
>>
>>77879334

The Conor/Floyd fight will have been the 4th this year. 3rd thats done over a million. Granted this has been a relatively hot year for boxing and a pretty bad one for MMA.
>>
simply it's too expensive.
is there's no other reason you retards
>>
>>77876819
>which for some reason, anglos love
>hey guys let's make a game whose whole appeal is simulating what would happen in a fistfight
>what why do you care less about people who would get demolished by larger people in a fistfight?
i bet you watch female basketball for the mechanics
>>
>>77877635
>he made it all about money instead of the best fighting the best
just like Conor

GSP, JJ, Anderson, MM - they have 10+ defenses each.
Conor has zero.
He's had two (2!) legit fights in 2 years.
Johny Hendricks has had 4 fights in the last year.
Lots of elite fighters have fought 6 times in the last 2 years. Conor has fought twice, ffs.
Promised Aldo an immediate rematch, ducked that since.
He promotes, promotes, promotes himself, never defends, has had more novelty fights than real fights in the last 2 years.
wew
>>
>>77876679
>Serious Question: What caused the decline in popularity for boxing? Last night was the first time I've ever watched Boxing and made me wonder why it isn't more popular.

Easy....No heavy weights, no brawlers, no hard fighting.

Fighting style like Floyd's have made the sport hard to pay attention to because they just duck and dance as opposed to being able to beat the hell out of each other, dodge and block in close range.

Its barely BOXING anymore.

Also this guy's point
>>77876819
>>
>>77876679
Lack of good infighters on the main stage. People want to see good, accurate, heavy slug fests. They don't want to see:

>repeatative clinching
>outboxing "run" tactics

Boxing won't be good again until you get another Tyson, or hell, another Ali.
>>
>>77876679

Money and Corruption.
>>
>>77876819

>"you have the Klitchkos"

You realise they are both retired...

> "have literally no competition"

......and that Wlad lost his last 2 fights, right?
>>
>>77876679
People stopped boxing in the US - back in the 1950's and 1960's everyone boxed, even just a little bit. Therefore, there were no "casual" fans because people understood it cause they did it. Now basically no one boxes.

> it's lonely at the gym...
>>
>>77877635

Mayweather is just the end game. The Mayweather Pacquiao fight showed that boxing is nothing like fighting that casuals like me expect
>>
>>77879884
If everyone loves heavyweights why were the Klinchkos stuck fighting in Germany their entire careers?
>>
>>77876819
>The heavyweight division, which for some reason, anglos love, is dead
Everyone loves the heavyweight division.

>You have the Klitchko's, but their bland, and have literally no competition.
They're both retired.
>>
>>77877635
>instead of the best fighting the best
sorry, what's the name of the fighter who has fought more world champions than any other fighter?
>>
>>77876679
Honestly only the greats are ever entertaining to watch. MMA can be fun because there's usually an imbalance in some part of the fighters' games and one guy ends up getting rekt in some way.
>>
-Too many belts
-Champions dodging fights
-Heavyweight a shit
-Money/Revenue talk
>>
>>77876679
nobody cares about safe space sports

boxing needs to evolve or fade away
>>
>>77876819
LOL this retard hasn't watched boxing in about 5 years
>>
No white Americans in boxing. So people cant relate to black boxers or mexican american boxers. Boxing is ruled by blacks, mexicans, puerto ricans, cubans, brits and east euros.
>>
>>77884111
>-Heavyweight a shit

Where they at?
>>
>>77881101
>Boxing won't be good again until you get another Tyson, or hell, another Ali.

GGG baby
>>
>>77879884
Heavyweight boxing has become more hugging than boxing. It's usually just two fat guys occasionally throwing and then hugging.
>>
>>77884111
the heavyweight division is on fire man
>>
File: crocop leaves his calling card.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
crocop leaves his calling card.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>>77876760
This

I loved training in boxing but watching it can be boring. MMA there are more ways a fight can finish making it more unpredictable. Looking forward to the Canelo vs GGG fight.
>>
>>77884461

Slavs just don't sell to the American public for whatever reason

If it was Chad Lomachencko from California winning 2x Olympic golds for USA and fighting in the style he does you'd never have heard of Conor McGregor
>>
>>77884134
>nobody cares about safe space sports
Divegrass is the most popular sport on the planet
>>
>>77876679
-There are too many light/cruiserweights to keep track of.
-Heavyweight fights consist of 2 punches per round and 1:58mins of hugging
>>
>>77878050
True. Lennox Lewis had a lot of likability but people had to find away around it. He wasnt the best by any means, but he was respectable, clean style, decent game
>but hes a britbong nigger
>>
File: creed1.jpg (134KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
creed1.jpg
134KB, 1920x1080px
Creed was pretty good
>>
Boxing is solved game. It's either a mismatch where one guy runs a train on the other, or a boring fight where both competitors take zero risks.
>>
>>77884461
Triple G had been exposed twice, he's 38(?) And Canelo will be his retirement
>>
>>77879398
last year conor alone sold more than triple all of boxings PPVs combined
>>
>>77876679
Money and promoters
>>
>>77876679
you watch the full card?
literal shitters fighting for 1000 belts that mean fuck all, the people who paid thousands for tickets couldnt even be bothered to turn up for the full card

in the UFC you get cards with potential crazy fights all over, theres been cards where 10 fights have been amazing and fun to watch
>>
>>77877635
>Mayweather literally ruined boxing

I was watching boxing religious for 15 years before any of you fucking casuals knew who he was. He did NOT ruin boxing. If anything he's one of the more exciting fighters if you actually know what you are watching.
>>
>>77878197
burger education on full display
>>
File: 1488373366724.jpg (491KB, 2048x1395px) Image search: [Google]
1488373366724.jpg
491KB, 2048x1395px
>>77876760
This

>This is a tko
>>
>>77887645
The problem is that boxing promotion is all about the big payday and PPV.
>>
>>77887756
So you don't watch MMA either? Have you not seen the TKOs in MMA? Most of them are even worse than that. Theres been hundreds of TKOs where a guy drops to his knees and the ref calls it, in a sport where you are allowed to move around on your knees.
>>
>>77887772

it's also easier when all the relevant fighters are under contract from the same organisation and you don't have to cobble together a card by negotiating with every individual fighter and their promoters
>>
>>77876679
Pretty much just the rise of other sports. People got more excited for football, hockey, basketball, etc. Combine that with the rise of other combat sports, and boxing just becomes less exciting. It's still popular, but when people have so many other options it loses a lot of its popularity.
>>
Is it really in decline though? I thought boxing is making more money than ever before
>>
Heavyweights became boring.

Heavyweights are what everyone wants to watch, where big guys like Tyson knock someone out in 20 seconds with one hard left hook.

If the heavyweight class ever gets exciting again, boxing will get exciting again, simple as that.
>>
>>77887756
>Get hit by 10 big punches without attempting to block a single one
>Not calling the match
>>
>>77884230
>Everyone but western whites do boxing
>Western Europe and USA whites are considered to be cucked pathetic beta males that can't stand their ground while being swarmed by hordes of "minorities" that will breed them out in 3 generations.

Really activates my almonds.
>>
>>77888171
There are loads of white British boxers
>>
floyd mayweather couldn't even knockout an inexperienced boxer
>>
>>77888270
We are a dying breed mate. It's nothing but people in their early 40s or late 30s watching it while your average 20 something male wouldn't be able to name one boxing champion coming from England. They watch esports instead of sports.
>>
>>77878699
BASED PACMAN
>>
>>77876679

this was my first time and i don't get it either. the match was riveting and dramatic as fuck. i was on the edge of my seat for each punch and the climax was so satisfying. its weird how it faded in popularity, i for sure would have loved it had it been more popular when i grew up
>>
>>77876679

is mayweather's bragging style considered unusual in boxing history? or were most famous boxers really over the top and arrogant? is that just kind of a feature of the sport?
>>
>>77876679
Its all on ppv and people can't just watch the fights on major networks on cable
>>
>>77880740
i dont see what you are getting at with the >imlying of nunes-cupcake. yeah the main fight dropped but the card still sold 1 million ppv
>>
>>77888307
welterweights rarely ever win by true knockout.
these dudes are 150lbs and 5'7
>>
>>77889537
its the sport. they hype for ppv.
>>
>>77876679

Fighters became technical instead of appealing to spectator bloodsport sensibilities.

Hence UFC became popular.
>>
>>77889537
his bragging style is fucking tame compared to a lot of other boxers.

Watch some Ali or Tyson interviews/press conferences
>>
File: tenor.gif (363KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
tenor.gif
363KB, 220x165px
>>77889741
>ufc isn't technical
>>
>>77880096

He's obviously talking about 2017 you retard
>>
>>77887585

And Floyd vs Pacquiao sold more than all of Conors UFC PPVs combined
>>
>>77889768
It isn't.. by virtue of being mixed.
>>
>>77888307
>Round 10 TKO
>couldn't knock out an MMA fighter that outweighed him

That would've happened if Conor kept his hands up and wasn't gassed as fuck for two rounds straight.

Mayweather would've won a UD as usual tho. The same guy who people say his punches couldn't crack an egg did this to Conor because Conor sucked so much at boxing.
>>
>>77889786
thats false

the mayweather/pac fight did have a lot of viewers, like 4-something million ppv buys, but the mcgregor/aldo and mcgregor/diaz fights had like 1.2 and 1.6 mil

When you make up hyperbolic bullshit it just cheapens your point
>>
>>77876679
>In his first 12 months of professional boxing Mike Tyson fought 19 times
>It's taken Anthony Joshua four years to reach the same number

They memed themselves. Also this >>77889555
>>
Lol More people watching boxing than MMA though. I'm going to post this every time you MMA fools start acting crazy thinking your sport is more popular currently.

Boxing TV Ratings in 2017:

> 5.1 Million peak views for Thurman vs Garcia
> 4.4 Million peak views for Pacquiao vs Horn
> 4 Million views in Kanto alone for Yamanaka vs Carlson

Boxing PPV sales in 2017:

>Joshua vs Klitchsko did 1.2 million
>Canelo vs Chavez did 1 million
>Haye vs Bellew did 800,000

Boxing attendance in 2017:

>90,000 for Joshua vs Klitschko
>51,000 for Pacquiao vs Horn

In MMA your best PPV fight couldn't even get 900k, and the second best PPVs are all 300k. And all of your best TV ratings hover somewhere around 2k.

You follow a meme sport that only sells when literal pro wrestlers like CM Punk and Brock Lesnar go to fight in it.
After this fight you only solidified your place in /asp/.
>>
>>77889793
well then why do the best fighters in the UFC tend to have really lopsided w/l records? If it wasn't technical surely there would be more parity right, rather than just having the same people dominate almost all competition except when facing other elite talents?
>>
>>77877717
Maybe because you thought Conor had a chance. To anyone that watched boxing knew Floyd one after the first round.
>>
>>77889893
I don't see how w/l has literally anything to do with the simple fact that if you have to be good at 4 things to compete in MMA you are likely to be worse at any specific one than someone who has dedicated their life to that one thing.
>>
File: Canelo.jpg (88KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
Canelo.jpg
88KB, 1050x700px
>>77880096
In the year 2017 you retard.

We're going to add a 4th to that list in 3 weeks.

Stay assblasted
>>
>>77889768

I didn't say UFC wasn't technical.

I said Boxers became technical, and avoided fulfilling spectator bloodlust.

You dullard.
The only way this happens in UFC/MMA is through grappling, and submission, and even still there's the very satisfying event of choking someone unconscious or possibly breaking/dislocating joints.
>>
>>77889943
Lots of UFC fighters are former champions in things before they got to MMA, like wrestling.

Also that logic is extremely flawed. Boxing isn't just "one thing" and if MMA fighters are so less skilled than boxers why did mcgregor land the 2nd most punches on mayweather in any of his fights?
>>
>>77890027
>and if MMA fighters are so less skilled than boxers why did mcgregor land the 2nd most punches on mayweather in any of his fights?

>40 years old
>severly decreased speed and reactions
>plodding forward like a limited brawler
>aggressive
>forcing Mcgregor to throw to tire him out

If Mcgregor did so much better than Mayweathers past opponents why did he become a literal punching bag after 3 rounds? Why didn't Mcregor land a single shot that wobbled Mayweather?
>>
>>77876866
>Millenias ago people were fighting with swords, shields, traps, animals,multiple opponents
>nowadays you get this shitty ""entertainment"" of two guys hugging and farting in each other's noses while wearing band aids and rubber in their fists
>>
>>77890017
And there are still casuals who hate the manhugging aspect of UFC, mind you.
>>
>>77876679

lack of talent pool in the heavy weight division. those guys do other sports these days
>>
File: Uppercut.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Uppercut.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>77890069
McGregor fans argue this was a shot that staggered Mayweather but I'd argue his look after the shot says it all.
>>
>>77889796
>The same guy who people say his punches couldn't crack an egg

The only people that say this are people who literally have spent 0 time looking into Mayweather's record, he has multiple knock outs. It's true he was never a full on power house but he's always had enough power to put people down, he just adapted a more defensive play style over time which opened up the masses to parrot things such as "hurr he can't take a hit hurr he has no power"
>>
>>77876712
>because heavy weight firghts are hug fests
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3oyWUkUdpY
>>
>>77890106
You know Mayweather wasn't phased when he didn't bother to even try and clinch.
>>
>>77890106
Mayweather is thinking
>hey not bad
>>
>>77890106
Was that the hardest punch Greggo hit him with?
>>
>>77890194
Yes it was
>>
>>77890221
Damn that's sad. Last night I would've sworn that there was at least one hit that wobbled Mayweather, but after actually looking at it I see how easy it was for him.
>>
>>77890128
As a casual: damn

why wasn't last nights fight like this?
>>
>>77890260
Mayweather is a defensive fighter. He's B class when he's pressuring like he was last night. Mayweather had no sense of how to cut off the ring and had many opportunities to end the fight with hooks that he just doesn't throw.
>>
MMA turned boxing into a niche sport.
>>
>>77890321
>boxing turned MMA into a niche sport

fix'd

Boxing TV Ratings in 2017:

> 5.1 Million peak views for Thurman vs Garcia
> 4.4 Million peak views for Pacquiao vs Horn
> 4 Million views in Kanto alone for Yamanaka vs Carlson

Boxing PPV sales in 2017:

>Joshua vs Klitchsko did 1.2 million
>Canelo vs Chavez did 1 million
>Haye vs Bellew did 800,000

Boxing attendance in 2017:

>90,000 for Joshua vs Klitschko
>51,000 for Pacquiao vs Horn
>50,000 Canelo vs Smith
>>
>>77890287

Mayweather is a defensive fighter now*

The first half of his boxing career was spent being a quick offensive fighter that would cut people down bit by bit or straight up put them on the ground. Saying he doesn't know offensive is ignoring where he came from, he was clearly taking his time with Conor from round one.
>>
>>77890128
These guys look unironically bigger, faster, stronger, more powerful, and more agile than either of McMeme or MayBeater
>>
>>77877980
Name one sport that isn't, retard.

Hard mode: don't say a meme sport like poker or pool
>>
>>77890377
wrong. Mayweather was always defensive. Even at 130 where he had good power and planted his feet for power shots often he still still wasn't that offensive when compared objectively to other fighters.
>>
File: really nigga.png (303KB, 463x274px) Image search: [Google]
really nigga.png
303KB, 463x274px
>>77890169
>being this deluded
>>
>>77890377
>The first half of his boxing career was spent being a quick offensive fighter
>Conor sucks so bad at boxing Mayweather was able to tee off on him as if they're in the lighter weights and Mayweather actually has KO power.
>>
>The way the sport is scored and officiated promotes non-aggressive fighting styles between the most elite boxers.
>Part of the appeal of boxing was the narratives creating hype for individual fights, as the sport has evolved it has become incredibly predictable with less upsets and certain fighters running roughshod over their divisions.
>Some divisions just lack talent.
>The way the sport is organized is confusing to say the least, and it's basically still run by the mafia.
>PPV is a shitty format that maximizes immediate profit but decreases long-term popularity.
>actual competitive fihts between top tier boxers only happen once in a blue moon for all the reasons listed above
>>
>>77891047
>The way the sport is scored and officiated promotes non-aggressive fighting styles between the most elite boxers.

GGG vs Canelo in 3 weeks, stay tuned.
>>
File: McGregor lands a haymaker.webm (477KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
McGregor lands a haymaker.webm
477KB, 640x360px
>>77890194

Nah this one was.
>>
>>77890360
Post the MMA stats for comparison please
>>
>>77891321
3 or 4 PPVS that sold about 300k each
>>
>>77891276
I'm for GGG.

I'm not seeing the "beastly" Canelo everyone is talking about but I'll gladly eat crow if the Mexican ginger pulls it off.
>>
>>77876679

why would I watch someone literally turn their back away from their opponent just to get out of a rough situation?

Last night was my first (and last) PPV boxing match. Can't say I'm gonna miss it. Pretty shit, desu.
>>
File: stopstopstopstop.jpg (29KB, 460x339px) Image search: [Google]
stopstopstopstop.jpg
29KB, 460x339px
>>77892350
He was enticing Conor to do rabbit punches to the head when he is visibly doing his best not to hammer fist. Use his muscle memory against him.

Floyd also uses such tactics in his fight with Maidana.
>>
>>77876679
a) Because the 19th century is over
b) the people who run it are corrupt as fuck
c) any event worth watching is like $100 on PPV, even in the age of streaming and internet piracy
d) All of the above
>>
>>77887802

example. Because I get a feeling you're talking out your ass like most /box/cucks here lately.
>>
>>77892383

So more defensive bullshit. Got it.

Floyd was definitely the better in terms of technicality. But I STILL believe McGregor was the better >FIGHTER in the ring last night.
>>
>>77892426
I mean, is this the first Mayweather fight you've seen?
>>
File: Boxing in 1913.jpg (187KB, 1400x959px) Image search: [Google]
Boxing in 1913.jpg
187KB, 1400x959px
>>77876866
You whippersnapper, back in 1913 we had a different understanding of boxing.
>>
>>77892383
It's illegal to punch the back of the head in MMA. Muscle memory? No
>>
>>77876768

I actually kind of agree with this. Forced a sort of sea change wherein the spectacle overtook the sport.
>>
>>77879241
This right here
>>
>>77893006
So why was Conor punching Mayweather on the head?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (19KB, 349x421px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
19KB, 349x421px
>Boxing is making a comeback and slowly becoming the GOAT combat sport
>MMAfags getting more and more insecure about it
Feels good man, MMA is literally man drama tier. Pride was the peak of MMA and UFC killed it
>>
>>77893311
That's exactly what I meant, Pride was the peak of mandrama.
>>
>>77893339
wow great post
>>
>>77893361
MMA was always mandrama even at its peak.
>>
>>77893305
>tfw no more Pride or K-1

should I follow Rizin? is it even a shadow of Pride?
>>
>>77893361
>Americans in charge of basic comprehension of the English language
>>
The lack of it on regular TV. PPV can suck it.
>>
>>77889874
ufc on fox ratings are at an all time low
>>
File: When asp met heem.webm (3MB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
When asp met heem.webm
3MB, 720x400px
>>77894583
>should I follow Rizin?
It's entertaining because of the memes. Not so much because of the action itself.

>is it even a shadow of Pride?
No
>>
>>77890260
faggot casuals shouldn't comment on a sport they only watch once every 2 years at most
>>
>>77891616
No matter who wins that one, I'll be pleased. But I'm guessing GGG is gonna take it.
>>
>>77896133
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjomPSpE_zk
>>
>>77896190

There's a guy on youtube that does these very technical videos on various fighters and he did one for this upcoming fight, and if anything it kind of seems that Canelo actually has an advantage in the matchup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5RYBVdIQMI

tl;dw, Golovkin uses front foot pressure to force his man onto the ropes, or else uses a heavy jab to destroy their focus. Canelo is comfortable counterpunching off the ropes, hits with uppercuts between the guard as the opponent comes in, and actively baits jabs in order to counter with a right hand.

Of course, if you and I know this, Golovkin and his trainers know this, and will probably adapt. Can't wait for the fight.
>>
Lack of tv coverage and publicity outside celebrity fighters which there are not many of. I only heard of canelo recently because he is on tecate ads with stalone.

What even is the next big fight I have no idea
>>
>>77878699
Oh shit call the burn unit
>>
>>77890106

lol mayweathers face
>>
Boxing needs structure.

Seasons, regular annual champions.

Not just title defenses of washed up champs who get to pick who they want to beat up.
>>
>>77887756
>Casual boxing fans would rather see someone die in the ring than a fight getting called when they are clearly done
>>
>>77897245
Or unify the belt-giving bodies.
>>
>>77877270
>These casual boxing fans don't really appreciate the art itself, intricate footwork, head movement etc
all of these things exist in MMA too and there is much less restriction on how the fighters fight
and you wonder why boxing is dying and cant draw new customers

> the fanbase of boxing seems better to me without the people who don't really care about the art
these kind of special snowflake attitude also push the causal fan away and annoys the true boxing lovers
>>
>>77897575
>and you wonder why boxing is dying and cant draw new customers

How many PPV buys did MayCanelo and MayPac do again? Not to mention MayMac once the numbers are out.
>>
>>77896435
I'm hoping that Golovkin returns to his more technical roots. I feel like he's been getting sloppy and taking advantage of how his opponents are psyched out by his power before they even enter the ring.

Canelo just won't be psyched out, and I think a KO or TKO isn't likely.
>>
>>77891294
shook
>>
Boxing is a solved game. It's more efficient to be defensive and boring than to be ballsy and aggressive. Other sports are built to continue to spectacles as the history of the game progresses - boxing was made to be a spectacle, but evolved into this.

That means there's a way lower entertainment value for general sports fans.
>>
>>77878699
Wait, if Mayweather can't read, how come that he has no problem communicating on Twitter?
>>
Boxing died when they put every decent fight on PPV.
>>
>>77899781
Mayweather was just one fighter and none of the other top p4p guys in boxing fight like him at all. Other guys who have tried (like Broner) have gotten fucked up because you actually have to have Mayweather's god tier speed, stamina, boxing IQ, accuracy, chin, and reflexes for the style to work.
>>
To all those morons saying "now Floyd should go to MMA and see if he can stand a chance"... Dafuq?? It's like some random person comes on your property and gets arrested for trespassing and then yells out hey now you come to my side so you can get the same treatment.. lol
>>
PPV killed boxing. Boxing is a working class sport and they took that away.
>>
onor did better then I expected and I'll give him his due for making this a fun fight to watch. With that being said, Floyd was never in any danger in this fight and despite Conor's prediction that he was going to KO Floyd within 4, he fought in a style where he was doing everything he could to avoid getting knocked out himself. It looked like Conor knew he wasn't going to win and just wanted to make it respectable. I wanted to see him live up to all his trash talk and go after Floyd.
>>
Both put on a excellent performance and Conor proved his boxing skills but Mayweather just had that experience which won him the fight but you have to give Conor props for fighting the best boxer alive for 10 rounds at his own game when Mayweather would never even think about stepping into Conors world because no matter how much y'all boxing fans gloat Conor would fucking decimate Floyd in the Octagon and that's the truth but still both men have my respect.
>>
>>77880615

this. i love both, but boxers like GGG and Canelo are in short supply these days. Guys that enter the ring with the intent to do damage. Point fighting is a fine sport, but people want to see combat. i'd actually love to see boxing but with 4 oz gloves as the standard.
>>
I for one think it is pretty gay, both boxing and ufc have too much huging and shit.

Plus it doesn't help that the main attraction of the sport is a boxer that stays defensive 90% of the time.

Not appealing for the general public, and too many shitty rules.
>>
if that floyd went against terrence crawford, ggg, lomachenko, rigo, mikey garcia, he would have got dominated lol. Love how tmt fans celebrating a guy who has been boxing for 30 years beating a guy who did 3 months boxing training and stepped for the first time in a boxing match.
>>
>>77880749
>watch mma for technical striking
lmao
>>
Boxing wasn't gay enough, so they created MMA.
>>
>>77876768
I agree. Promoters in general who ducked big fights while hyping dogshit wins polluted the sport. Think of all the great fights of the 60's, 70's and 80's before promoters started over protecting fighters records.
>>
>>77899988
text to speech mate
>>
>>77880749
For technical grappling with striking.

But technical striking? I don't think so. The closest you have to a slick boxer is Anderson Silva.
>>
>>77884977
Creed versus Drago when?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKs1CwrXh8M&t=3s /
>>
>>77878125
>because betas crave to see fighting to show how they want to be masculine and box is not as linked as MMA to lifting, which most men love to do now in order to be noticed by and please women

literally this

all i've been reading about is YA YA DA manlets this and that

I guess it's cool seeing roided up dudes because it reminds you of wrestling and you can fantasize better instead of appreciating pure scholastic skills regardless of size?
>>
File: IMG_20170829_015000.jpg (47KB, 1388x660px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170829_015000.jpg
47KB, 1388x660px
My father was a professional boxer: Ed Kelley the Irish Bomber. He's on boxingrec, check it out.

I've come to know my stuff. Boxing's "product" has deteriorated in the eyes of fans simply because it has become less violent. By fans I mean dilettante fans: Mongrels looking for a smidgen of ultraviolence. The UFC has exacerbated professional boxing's decline.

What boxing needs is an indomitable heavyweight puncher akin to Tyson. Younger generations do not appreciate point scoring in hand to hand combat, which is what boxing promotes. More UFC fights end in knockouts or tapouts. Be it through strangulation or another form of the ultraviolence that combat sport fans are looking for.

I site the Mayweather v. Pacquiao fight. Circumspect point scoring on Floyd's part, un-backed by shit talking. It was underwhelming for UFC fans and superficial boxing fans alike.

That's why this McGregor fight was so pivotal for the world of boxing: It was a damn good fight! It was a scintillating fight, no matter who you were cheering for.
>>
>>77876819
>The heavyweight division, which for some reason, anglos love, is dead.

Everybody loves heavyweights. Always have, always will. The biggest are the baddest and the baddest will always be the most revered.
>>
>>77909320
Why couldn't boxing have an Ali in today's generation? Or even both, a Tyson and an Ali fighting against each other?
>>
>>77878060
Take a gander at the varying ethnicities and races in each weight classes top 5 for the UFC and Bellator, then come back, reread your comment, and realize you need to think before you speak.
>>
>>77909340
That's like saying: Why can't baseball have a Babe Ruth and a Barry Bonds at the same time?
>>
Money. It's all about money. Pay per view killed boxing.
>>
>>77909331
>Everybody loves heavyweights. Always have, always will. The biggest are the baddest and the baddest will always be the most revered.
Anglo/10.
>>
>>77896603
Golovkin on sept. 15 or so
Thread posts: 214
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.