[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain professional boxing to me. I understand the sport itself,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: mcgregormayweatherr.jpg (97KB, 1030x800px) Image search: [Google]
mcgregormayweatherr.jpg
97KB, 1030x800px
Explain professional boxing to me. I understand the sport itself, but do fans actually follow it the same way people follow hockey, football, ape hoop, etc? I literally never hear about professional boxing except occasionally when there is a huge fight like this one. Does professional boxing have the equivalent of a regular season?
>>
No one cares about boxing. This is a McGregor fight.
>>
>>77828426
>do fans actually follow it the same way people follow hockey, football, ape hoop, etc?
No. It's not specifically tribal.
>I literally never hear about professional boxing except occasionally when there is a huge fight like this one
As has been the reality forever. Boxing is a niche sport unless it has crossover characters, has always been the way.
>Does professional boxing have the equivalent of a regular season?
No, schedule is year long, depends entirely on match-making. Top level boxers will fight 1-3 times a year with 3 month gaps minimum.
>>
yes i do follow the british boxing scene but i only watch big fight nights which on about
>>
once a month at best
>>
>>77828493
This
>>
>>77828493
If it was McGregor vs some nobody no one gives a shit.

Mayweather is a legend, he's not.
>>
>>77829591
Malignaggi/McGregor would be huge in Brooklyn during St Patrick's day.
>>
No, boxing doesn't really have a regular season. Because there are so many sanctioning bodies the only real factor in whether fights get made or not is the promoters. I'm a huge fan of the sport but on the organisational level it has huge problems.
>>
just hit each other lmao, not that complicated
>>
>>77829591
mate Mayweather and McGregor both are the only names that can move ppv anymore. McGregor ufc events are big shit too, everyone around here was buzzing about the Diaz fights
>>
>>77829718

This. The boxing industry needs to turn itself around. Cut back on the amount of weight classes and champions, and mostly on the greed. It's not getting more popular by hiding behind pay per view etc.
>>
The answer to your question is no, not really. There aren't really "boxing fans". There are people who buy fights, and who suddenly have an opinion on it when there's a big one (like now), and then there's the boxing community, which are people who are directly involved in the training, the betting, the promotions etc. In this way it's kind of like politics. People who follow boxing really closely usually have some sort of connection to it.
>>
>>77828426
The promoters have killed boxing. At one time, it was the largest sport in the US, and definitely top 5 in the world.

Now, though, the promoters have created 100 different sanctioning bodies with 100 meaningless belts and the average man doesn't even know if someone is good or not because EVERYONE seems to be some kind of fucking champion. It's bizarre. They've made it a marketing scheme but it backfired really, and now the belts just mean nothing instead of drawing more attention to the fights. So now, people only pay attention if someone has a massively good record and a ton of hype around them and even then, it's lacking.
>>
>>77828426
its trash, just nothing but forced hype

people watch it because the masses are, not because of the love of the "sport"

boxing and mma are objectively shit
>>
>>77829591
yeah but mayweather vs berto had no buy ins at a lower price. this is just a car accident that people will buy
>>
I normally watch the big ppv. I'm not bothering with this because it isn't a real fight. When I was a kid it was common for people to follow boxing, now I know nobody who even folllows it casually.
>>
So how does the "point" system work with boxing now?
>>
>>77828426
They don't fight enough to compete with sports. Even WWE has weekly events.
>>
>>77828426
99% of boxing fans only really follow 1 or 2 fighters and watch their fights + the big fights that even casuals watch. the remaining 1% are muh >boxing historians, basically stamp collector tier autists
>>
>>77831211
Whoever pays the judges more scores more points.
>>
>>77832280
pretty much /:
>>
>>77828642
>Top level boxers will fight 1-3 times a year with 3 month gaps minimum.
How do they manage to earn so many moneys if boxing is a niche sport and they don't fight much when they reach top levels?
How many moneys are they supposed to earn tonight?

Also, how old is too old? Those guys are supposed to be top notch, but Mayweather is 40yo already. McGregor is only 29yo, but this is his first box match.

I mean, wtf?! What does it make this match so big? It looks like old dude vs inexperienced boxer in my eyes.
>>
two faggots running in circles for 10 minutes

it's boring as fuck
>>
>>77835947
35 is when boxers tend to slow down. Prime is early/mid 20s to 30 but you obviously don't see a fighter at their peak until they have some experience and get the spotlight. Late 20s tends to be top level.
>>
>>77835947
>How do they manage to earn so many moneys if boxing is a niche sport and they don't fight much when they reach top levels?

Boxing is the original corrupt money laundering sport. The sweet mob money goes to the fighters in exchange for fixing the fights.
>>
>>77831211
whoever wins the round gets a 10 and the other a 9. If theres a knockdown its still a 10 but whoever fell gets deducted a point for every fall. To some boxers like GGG the point system doesnt matter because they KO guys 95% of the time. Others butter their bread off it like floyd.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.