[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is surfing the most underrated sport in the world, or at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: bane.jpg (1000KB, 2971x1989px) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
1000KB, 2971x1989px
is surfing the most underrated sport in the world, or at least one of the very? i mean, it's kino as fuck, it's both storied and niche, it's batshit dangerous, the amount of brain, calculations and physicality going into it is god-tier. why aren't you amerishits spamming this beautiful sport down our throats instead of nfl, mlb and such?
>>
>shark dodging
>sport
>>
>smoking weed and balancing on a plank
>sport
>>
lmao

does bosnia even have a fucking beach?
>>
>>77645576
few, but croatian (mediterranean) sea is literally 30 min away from me.
>>
File: 1471337893594.jpg (27KB, 429x420px) Image search: [Google]
1471337893594.jpg
27KB, 429x420px
>>77645584
>sea
>>
there it is, bosnia's only beach

kek

KEK

K-E-K
>>
stonerdrown is not a sport
>>
>chadboat
>a sport
>>
whiteguyswithdreadstryingtofucktourists is not a sport
>>
>water-stonerplank
>>
shagged a slag once who was into surfing at uni
If she can do it, it's literally not as difficult as you're making out
>>
>>77645568
>being handsome
>sport
>>
>>77645592
>bolivia's wet dream
>>
>>77645700
>into surfing
>same as pros riding 10m giants
literally kys
>>
File: cant wake up.jpg (195KB, 1001x609px) Image search: [Google]
cant wake up.jpg
195KB, 1001x609px
>>77645592
I HURT MYSELF TODAY
>>
File: 20150509_AMM932.png (83KB, 580x562px)
20150509_AMM932.png
83KB, 580x562px
>>77645753
TO SEE IF I STILL FEEL
>>
>>77645763
sluts into surfing are pros at riding 10 inch giants
>>
its too exclusive
you basically have to be some rich cunt living in exactly the right part of the world to be a surfer

same as skiing really, they are good sports but the exclusivity of them means they won't ever get that popular

thats why (in part) football is the most popular sport, its the least exclusive
>>
No team, no ball, no score, no timer, no stick, no skill, no athleticism
Sorry dude, everything in surf cries "not a sport"
>>
>>77645945
>not surfing in Plymouth or Brighton
>>
>>77645945
you do have to live in the right part of the world but you don't have to be rich. all you really need is gas money to travel to different beaches, but even then you split that among a group.
>>
>>77648070
>living in britian at all
>>
File: 1494192782924.jpg (24KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
1494192782924.jpg
24KB, 600x451px
>>77645568

most americans on this board are flyover fags which is why there are so into shit sports like handegg and boreball to begin with. also, they need to keep up the /pol/ narrative that california is a "shithole" when in reality we have the highest GDP and a better HDI than their redneck enclaves in the south

t. San Diegan
>>
find me a more kino sport: https://youtu.be/7woVTuN8k3c
>>
>>77648280
idk dude, most of LA and the inland empire is pretty terrible
>>
>>77645945
>What is F1
>>
>>77648280
>san diegan
YOU HAVE TO GO BACK
>>
>>77648280
>t. San Diegan
Did you mean: Tijuanense?
>>
>tubularbro is not a sport
>>
>>77649959
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onEkHHWzxW0
>>
File: fun times.jpg (34KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
fun times.jpg
34KB, 1280x720px
>>77645568

>Not living by the sea
>Not having spent your teen year surfing with your buddies at the local beach
>Never played hooky to catch a sick swell
>Not knowing how it feels like to surf a wave

Fucking plebs!
>>
>>77645592
That's not Bosnia that's Herzegovina!
>>
>>77648280
>implying San Diego isn't the only good part of Socal
>>
>>77651386
having a jiggle, dude?
>>
is an wave a athlete?
>>
>>77645945
u wot m8

there are plenty of people who surf here and we sure as hell ain't rich
>>
>H2Oner-plank
>>
>>77648070
newquay is the best place to surf in britain but even then its more boogie board surfing than the real deal

and still that is like 10 hours drive from where i live, and you have no idea how expensive trains are here
>>
A few reasons why it isn't super popular

>Little variation in what you can do on the wave
I'm sure you can write me an extensive list of tricks you can do, but for an outside observer, it doesn't look like much. When you compare that to other "board" sports like skateboarding and snowboarding, it's not even close. A lay person watching snowboarding or skateboarding can see the huge diversity of tricks and understand that much quicker than they can on a surf board.

>The pros aren't really that good
Don't get me wrong, the pros are vastly better than I am. And they are amazing. But they aren't as good as the pros in other sports are. And this might not be their fault -- it could just be that surfing is harder. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the case, they are literally standing on top of moving water riding a plank.

But even in the videos that I see of pro level surfers, they still fall after the vast majority of "tricks" they do or barrels they ride in.

Imagine if Shaun White (or whoever the fuck else is the top snowboarder) fell after 90% of his tricks in competition. In snowboarding, they wouldn't be considered the best -- but in surfing, they are.

This doesn't mean that they are unathletic, or that surfing pros are shit -- clearly it's difficult -- but a regular person wants to see successes.
>>
>>77648220
You need to be rich to afford living in those areas. Beaches with great surf are usually near large cities with a high cost of living (Hawaii, West Los Angeles).

You also need to be loaded or at least have a sponsor to get enough funds to live while training essentially becomes your full time job
>>
>>77654639
>But even in the videos that I see of pro level surfers, they still fall after the vast majority of "tricks" they do or barrels they ride in.

Waves are infinitely more random than manicured slopes or skate parks. I understand the average viewer won't see this but it's WAY harder to control yourself while riding something that's basically sentient and can crush you with ease.

You are correct, people want to see success. It's why people are fine with the state of the NBA today when it's a horrible thing for competitiveness.
>>
>>77652747
I know what it feels like to surf a wave, but sadly I never lived by the sea. Besides, windsurfing is way more fun. What's hooky though?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.