[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Soccer so popular around the world? And why isn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 20

File: AjShrug.jpg (73KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
AjShrug.jpg
73KB, 1080x1349px
Why is Soccer so popular around the world?

And why isn't it popular in America?
>>
File: 1490548940083.gif (899KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1490548940083.gif
899KB, 600x600px
third worlders and people unwilling to think beyond the dumb shit forked in their mouth as a kid
vs
developed country that innovates

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm just a coincidence i guess
>>
>>77058162
not enough blacks
>>
>>77058162
Because Americans are stupid

>world series
>only played in North America
>>
>>77058162
>Why is Soccer so popular around the world?
Because it is objectively the best sport

>And why isn't it popular in America?
Because the format of the game doesn't allow for enough commercial breaks
>>
>>77058162
Americans are too dumb to get good at the simplest sport in the world
>>
>>77058162
Mass suicide will occur if Americans sit down together for 45 minutes.
>>
>>77058162
>Americans
>taking part in relevant sports that they know they'd get destroyed at

Pick one and only one. Americans think that because they send their fishmen to the olympics every 4 years that they're relevant in sports. They're not.
>>
>>77058162
>>77058244
innovation also takes marketing.

imagine if you walked into the store tomorrow and they were selling a PlayStation5. No advertising, no emails alerting you, just a random stack of boxes at Target that said PS5. Would you trust it?

The richest 1% in this country need to spend a LOT of money to build expectations for something, and if you don't believe me, try and remember the last time you were super excited about a movie that turned out to be shit.

Soccer is small in America because rich people are already making enough money on the other pro sports, and besides, or public transportation is so shit that nobody wants to drive 2 hours to see a 90 minute game.

tl;dr Trump
>>
>>77058162
>Why is Soccer so popular around the world?

It's very simple to pick up and understand, at least at the most basic level. It's incredibly cheap to play, and there are no real limitations when it comes to size. Also, the British Empire was at its peak when soccer really began, which help spread the sport to Europe and South America.

The same reason it isn't that popular in China, Canada, Australia....we already had our own sports by the time soccer reached us.

>>77058422
The US does take part in soccer, though. We've been to the last 5 world cups.
>>
File: 1490992340266.jpg (92KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1490992340266.jpg
92KB, 612x612px
>>77058162
because the US has its own established popular sports that have cemented themselves within the cultural imaginary over the course of a century or more
>>
>>77058422
>>77058403
>>77058370
>>77058359
>>77058343

>45 min game ends 0 to 0

ABSOLUTELY BREATH TAKING
>>
staggeringly original b8 thread here
>>
Soccer was actually very popular in the US at one point, a clear #2 behind baseball. But two things killed it, starting in the 1920s and destroying it entirely by 1941:

1. Squabbling between regional leagues and with FIFA (the sheer size of the country meant it was borderline impossible to put together one functional league)
2. The Great Depression, which also almost killed the NFL. However, unlike the NFL, the various soccer leagues didn't have rich men like George Halas to keep the league afloat, so they folded.
3. Soccer had very strong links to the German and Italian communities in the US. Anybody want to guess why that might not have been a good thing?

>>77058446
Also this.
>>
Because soccer is gay and boring. We like our sports fast and hard.

Except for dudes that like baseball it's as boring as soccer
>>
Because Americans live in this weird insulated bubble. Everything made by America is the best, anything outside is weird and scary. It's a strange level of egomania. Example: the 'World Series'. They literally think of themselves as 'The World'. It's funny from an outside perspective. I mean, America are the laughing stock of the progressed world. They're a fucking powerful country, with great living standards and good people. But they're a joke. Only Americans take themselves seriously. They're always the butt of jokes outside of their borders. Not the peoples' fault. I mean, fuck, look at their president.

They're an interesting bunch of people. I like them a lot, and a lot of their culture has bled over into my life. But they're a strange, isolated, giant of a joke.
>>
>>77058507
>Because Americans live in this weird insulated bubble. Everything made by America is the best, anything outside is weird and scary.

Of course, that explains the American aversion to weird and scary foreign things like Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes.

>Example: the 'World Series'.

It was called that because the American League and National League were the only two baseball leagues in the world at the time. So the contest between the champions of each league really was the world series. The name stuck, because baseball is all about tradition, even after Japan, Taiwan, Cuba, Korea, etc., founded their own leagues.
>>
>>77058507
Says a guy who is recorded every street he walks down, can't go anywhere without fear of muzzies unless you are a dick blowing apologist. Must be awesome living in your post apocolyptic shit hole where the sun never shines and everyone speaks fuck awful with no grace
>>
>>77058569
Come on man. Britain is basically America Lite, so those cultural inclusions aren't worth shit.
>>
File: 1498762008570.jpg (153KB, 779x770px) Image search: [Google]
1498762008570.jpg
153KB, 779x770px
>>77058589
>everyone speaks fuck awful with no grace
kek ur 'president' is an illiterate and very dumb IRL shitposter
>>
>>77058598
I just chose the most obvious example, since you're a Brit. You could also look at fashion designed in Milan/Paris, Japanese/German/Italian cars, Korean phones, beer, pizza, chinese/mexican food, and to a lesser extent things like anime.
>>
>soccer

you mean footbal right?
>>
>>77058589
You seem mad. I didn't insult your country. My country has a fuck load of problems, there's no doubt about that. But I love it, as you probably love yours - hence the emotional response. If you think your country is free or surveillance, you're having a laugh. You're probably up there as one of the most monitored peoples in the world. Same with UK. Fuck Muslims, I don't give a shit about them, and neither do many people I know. They're people, and they're a tiny percentage of our population (considered your insulated source of information, you'll argue otherwise. But as an American, you're probably a genius on British culture, no?) I can't remember the last time I came into contact with a hardcore muzzie in my daily life. Anyway, thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>77058644
kek
>>
>>77058644
That's my fuckin president right there, commander in bantz
>>
>>77058650
No, this is a common mistake a lot of Europeans seem to make for some reason. In American English, our word for what you call "football" is "soccer". And our word for what you would call "American football" is just "football". The Australians and Canadians do something similar.
>>
>>77058162
It'd also not popular in Canada, Australia, India. Former British colonies
>>
>>77058162
America has the necessity of his own maket for everything, all the efforts got to be turn to america. And the intern competitions is high
>>
>>77058598
>Britain is basically America Lite
No, no it's not.
>>
>>77058703
Soccer is wildly popular in India. They just suck at it.
>>
>>77058703
thas a good clue, the reason must be atached to this
>>
>>77058507
>But they're a joke. Only Americans take themselves seriously

The counterpoint to this, is that we only care what Americans think.

Take Trump for example. He's a fucking joke abroad and the embodiment of American embarrassment abroad.

However, the majority of Americans care so fucking little about any other country that this fact has little impact on Trump's popularity.
>>
>>77058703
>>77058744
I think the reason is that Britain exported its own sports to these countries before it began exporting soccer. Cricket and rugby arrived first and were already established by the time soccer arrived.

>>77058795
>The counterpoint to this, is that we only care what Americans think.
That's not really true.

>However, the majority of Americans care so fucking little about any other country that this fact has little impact on Trump's popularity.
That's definitely not true.
>>
>>77058805
>>The counterpoint to this, is that we only care what Americans think.
>That's not really true.
>>However, the majority of Americans care so fucking little about any other country that this fact has little impact on Trump's popularity.
>That's definitely not true.

Yeah, it's actually true. I'm talking about the majority of Americans, not the ones that post on Thai watercolor painting message boards. To back up my point, Trump was elected and Hillary lost.
>>
>>77058448
>doesn't appreciate a tactical and tense game with both sides playing well
>needs BOOM WOW AMAZING GOAL GOAL GOAL FIREWORKS FREEDOM YEAH to be entertained

America, people
>>
>>77058844
> I'm talking about the majority of Americans
>To back up my point, Trump was elected and Hillary lost.

With a minority of the popular vote, hell not even a plurality of the popular vote. That kind of goes against your argument about the majority of Americans...I'm not doing the "Not My President" thing, Trump won the election fair and square, but a majority of Americans didn't want him to be president.
>>
>>77058850
>doesn't appreciate a tactical and tense game with both sides playing well

For every "tactical and tense game with both sides playing well" that ends 0-0, there are two or 3 "West Brom puts 10 men behind the ball for 90 minutes" games. 0-0 games are rarely exciting.
>>
>>77058850
And comercial breaks all the time , thats why sports exist in america in the actual scale
>>
>>77058844
And this demonstrated why America is a joke to the rest of the world. You may think we're irrelevant, but that's the whole argument for you being isolated. I never said you cared about anyone else. I said you're just oblivious, so it's fair to argue that your country is seen as a joke due to this attitude.
>>
>>77058917
We don't particularly like the commercials, we've just learned to put up with them. And even then we hate them with a passion, find me one football fan who actually likes the "Two Minute Warning".

>>77058927
We're not really isolated, and if we didn't care about anyone else we wouldn't constantly be donating to overseas charities.
>>
>>77058359
Rugby is objectively the best sport. Soccer isn't physical enough, gridiron isn't flowing enough
>>
>>77058927
>this demonstrated why America is a joke to the rest of the world

I know I'm gracing you with a response, but like I said, the vast majority of Americans do not significantly care what other countries think of us.

So your argument that "This is why you're a joke!" is kind of trumped by my response that, ok that's great, we don't care. I lived abroad for 3 years of my life, I speak another language, and I can tell you that most Americans I know have either A. Never left the country (and are perfectly content with that) or B. Did some kind of corny post-graduate trip abroad and didn't learn anything or give a shit about the culture they partied in.

Americans are ignorant and isolated, that's part of what made us a powerhouse in the first place. We were isolated from the World Wars, so we could strategically take part in them when it benefitted us the most and we felt like we had a responsibility to protect allies.
>>
>>77058703

I think I read somewhere that the reason was related to the fact that at the turn of the century soccer was most popular with the lower classes while rugby and cricket were more popular with the upper classes. So soccer was spread mostly by sailors and office workers, while cricket and rugby was spread by navy/army officers and high ranking officials.
This meant that in the most important colonies the colonists preferred to play the upper class sports and thus the locals were having more contact with these sports. Outside of the British empire, the locals were having more contact with the lower class brits, so soccer became the most popular.
Now, the US is a special case. At first soccer was pretty popular among the lower classes, while rugby was practically only played in colleges, where it transformed into "American Football". But because this happened at a time of American Exceptionalism, Manifest Destiny, etc., soccer quickly became stigmatized as a foreign immigrant sport while gridiron football was the true patriotic football, by Americans for Americans.
>>
>>77059245
>But because this happened at a time of American Exceptionalism, Manifest Destiny, etc., soccer quickly became stigmatized as a foreign immigrant sport while gridiron football was the true patriotic football, by Americans for Americans.

Not really. The main reason for soccer's collapse is a failure to properly organize the clubs in the 1920s. "Gridiron Football" was well-organized and had several wealthy backers to keep the league alive during the Great Depression. Soccer did not, so the soccer clubs collapsed while the football teams survived.
>>
>>77059118
Did you read my argument, or only see what you wanted and then craft a response? I very well acknowledge YOU think that America doesn't care about the rest of the world. And my argument is that you're SEEN as a joke by the rest of the world because of this. But you went ahead and continued to prove my point.
>>
>>77059393
>"Gridiron Football" was well-organized and had several wealthy backers to keep the league alive during the Great Depression.
So, if I understand correctly, in the end the lower/upper class divide played a bigger role in America than I though.

I kinda got interested in the history of all variants of football some time ago, so I find stuff like this fascinating.
>>
We are innovators not imitators
>>
>>77058162

Who dis dindu?
>>
It's easy for poor and uneducated people to play and understand
>>
>>77058162
Freedom.
>>
>>77059770
How is American football harder to understand from a pure playing perspective ?
>>
>>77058162
because you fat fucks are too lazy to enjoy a sport that requires "too much" cheering (moving is hard when your ass is so fat, u know)

Fuck off
>>
>>77058433
>try and remember the last time you were super excited about a movie that turned out to be shit.
literally 95% of blockbusters & capeshit, dummy.
>>
File: 1490968783927.jpg (53KB, 324x291px) Image search: [Google]
1490968783927.jpg
53KB, 324x291px
>According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.

>In other words, if you tally up everything that happens between the time the ball is snapped and the play is whistled dead by the officials, there's barely enough time to prepare a hard-boiled egg. In fact, the average telecast devotes 56% more time to showing replays.

>So what do the networks do with the other 174 minutes in a typical broadcast? Not surprisingly, commercials take up about an hour. As many as 75 minutes, or about 60% of the total air time, excluding commercials, is spent on shots of players huddling, standing at the line of scrimmage or just generally milling about between snaps.

>In the four broadcasts The Journal studied, injured players got six more seconds of camera time than celebrating players.
>>
>not popular in America

Even if it's "not popular," with a nation over 300 million, more Americans watch soccer than Italians and English combined I'd wager.
>>
>>77060043
>he doesn't understand that "in play" in football is just the end result of a strategic play call and pre-snap adjustments

How fucking plebeian.
>>
File: 1490910107725.jpg (482KB, 1000x1926px) Image search: [Google]
1490910107725.jpg
482KB, 1000x1926px
>>77060084
more like end result of a bunch of roid raging fatsos sitting around smelling each others bleached assholes lol
>>
>>77059972
1. There are 2 teams, 1 ball, 2 goals. 11 players on each team. Kick the ball into the other team's goal. You can't use your hands unless you're the goalkeeper, and then only in the box.

2. There are 2 teams, 1 ball, 2 end zones. 11 players on offense for each team and 11 on defense for each team. You're allowed to throw the ball with your hands, but if it touches the ground then the play is dead and you have to stop and start over again. You have 4 chances to advance at least 10 yards. If you can't do that, then you turn the ball over. Teams have to line up in formations at the start of each play, if you move before the snap then it's a penalty. You can't throw the ball forward once you move past the line of scrimmage. If you make it all the way to the endzone, it's 6 points, and you can kick the ball into these goalposts that extend above the endzone for an extra 1 point. Alternatively, you can just kick the ball from farther back through the posts for 3 points. Previous rules about offsides and the line of scrimmage still apply. Once you've scored, you have to line up and kick the ball to the opposing team.

I prefer soccer, but football is much more complex. It takes maybe 30 seconds to figure out soccer, it takes 10 minutes to figure out football.
>>
>>77058162
why do niggers always have salty ass looks on their faces?
>>
>>77060043
>football
>baseball
>golf
>nascar
sports in America is just an excuse to slam beers for several hours
>>
>>77060171
'hol up. turn left is infinitely superior to most popular sports
>>
>>77060171
All sports are an excuse to slam beers for a few hours. You think Liverpool fans go to games because they appreciate the tactical nuances of the game? No, they want to get drunk and shout obscenities, same as everyone else who watches sports.
>>
>>77060136
I'd rather watch a sport with roid raging fatsos than a sport with fragile, girly manbabies.
>>
>>77058244
the irony in this post is palpable. i am not sure if it's satire or not. i will give you the benefit of the doubt that it is indeed bait.
>>
>>77060203
ye I agree
>>
Poor people can afford to play soccer. We're also living in the ADHD Autism generation so soccer is a sport that manages to capture the attention of Europoors and autists that come to this board.

It's pretty simple. It's not rocket science. Real Football on the other hand is an American game thought up in America. Sure it's just a variation of rugby, but all good ideas have a rough draft.

The NBA is for autists who don't like 0-0 Slobernockers and actually like to see an overtime played with the same rules the actual game is played (I.e no shootouts). Americans also like to see winners and losers, and soccer doesn't like to always give us that. Even the autist Americans agree.

Baseball may be slow, but that's our soccer and it's cozy as fuck. The NHL is a Canadiana creation but we share the sport with them so it's all good. It's also comfy as fuck.
>>
>>77058162
>>77058162
Saucezinho me senpai
>>
File: 1402114962610.jpg (54KB, 474x528px) Image search: [Google]
1402114962610.jpg
54KB, 474x528px
>>77060209

>the irony is palpable
>>
File: 1499689101286.jpg (151KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1499689101286.jpg
151KB, 1600x900px
>>77061060
>having a large vocabulary is bad

america ladies and gentlemen
>>
why isn't it popular in America with Americans?*
>>
>>77060486
>Poor people can afford to play soccer. We're also living in the ADHD Autism generation so soccer is a sport that manages to capture the attention of Europoors and autists that come to this board.

>the same ameircan that posts 0-0 this semen slurping sport is not for me

hmmm something is wrong
>>
>>77060142
also in association football (or even rugby) everybody get to play with the ball, which is not the case in American football.
that's why your football will never make it in foreign countries.
>>
Soccer is popular here as a kids games among numale families.
>>
File: IMG_0788.jpg (137KB, 750x736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0788.jpg
137KB, 750x736px
>>77058162
Why does everyone care what our country thinks? Is everyone else so obsessed with our country?
>notice me big country
>>
>>77061884
the thread was literaly made by an american
>>
>>77061943
*Chicano
>>
>>77061836
this.
in USA, "soccer" is lesbiana (Oregon/Washington) national sport, hipsters sport (NYC/SF/LA), and sport for spics (Texas/Florida)
>>
>>77058500
>3. Soccer had very strong links to the German and Italian communities in the US. Anybody want to guess why that might not have been a good thing?
let me guess the jews
>>
>>77058507
Your """countries""" literally don't matter lmao
>>
>>77060136
soccer is literally a 90 minute endurance race
the ball is barely even in play for 10% of the game
>>
because poor people can play it because we have other options
>>
NBA has all the talent.
>>
if i wanted to watch dudes struggling for 90 minutes to score i'd just take my friends out to the bar.
>>
>>77062533
Lel
>>
>>77062533
1. lol
2. no way you cane up with that
>>
Americans are fat, smelly and stupid.
>>
>>77062120
>the ball is barely even in play for 10% of the game
>stats from my ass: the post
>>
America is like the weird kid in the playground who makes up his own games and calls himself world champion
>>
>>77059118
>the vast majority of Americans are not actually aware of other countries
fixed for you buddy
>>
There's no Big Green for todays generation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9a9dCGKah4
>>
>>77058162
The 15 minutes of action in a football game is worth more to me than a ball being knocked back n forth for 90. The constant stoppage in play also allows us time to bitch about stuff and jerk off to cheerleaders
>>
File: 1485142733263.jpg (63KB, 640x762px) Image search: [Google]
1485142733263.jpg
63KB, 640x762px
>OP starts off the thread with a Nubian princess
>no further follow ups all thread

fucking losers, old /sp/ would be ashamed
>>
File: 1498783136948.jpg (89KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1498783136948.jpg
89KB, 1080x1080px
>>77065690
ikr
>>
>>77058162
We have American dollars. Dive ball is for the poors
>>
>>77059092
If I wanted physicality I'd watch boxing.
>>
>>77058162
Same reason it isn't as popular in Canada -- we have (American) football and hockey. REAL impact from BIG men, and they get up and play on. If they can...pic related.
We had a hockey player literally die - then revived, and he wanted back in the fucking game.
To the Canadian and American eye, soccer is weak -- the diving, play-acting, appeals to the ref. It's unmanly.
Our nations were founded by hard work, not by royalty.
Get rid of diving and other non-manly behaviour and soccer has a chance in North America.
>>
>>77066326
>Same reason it isn't as popular in Canada -- we have (American) football and hockey. REAL impact from BIG men, and they get up and play on. If they can
sounds gay as fuck desu
>>
>>77066355
To each his own, Ahmed.
>>
>>77058448
>thinking a game only lasts 45 minutes

The United States is a niggerfied nation
The average American is as white as a Haitian
I have never seen such an abomination
As the current state of American 'education'
>>
>>77058444
>we've been to the last 5 world cups

england btfo
>>
>>77066408
>The average American is as white as a Haitian

USA is 63% white
Work on those math skills, Muhammed
>>
>>77058162
too few cheeseburger intermissions
>>
>>77058162
Its already the 3rd largest sport in the US. Its becoming very popular
>>
>>77058448
>3 hours game ends 1-0.

Wow what a stunning display of "pitching" that was!
>>
>>77058589
>Says a guy who is recorded every street he walks down, can't go anywhere without fear of muzzies unless you are a dick blowing apologist.

How is that any different than the current state of the U.S.?
>>
>>77058448
>>77058506
>>77058569
>>77058696
>>77058906
>>77067344

>COIN TOSS
>>
I've lived in 7 major cities over the course of my life (and have visited every state on business trips at some point) and have literally never met one person who gives a shit about soccer. I'm already 34, so I doubt I'll be meeting a soccer fan at this point either.
>>
>>77066917
it really isn't, though its growth has been rapid.
>>
>>77067537
i find this astounding
>>
>>77060027
>still getting super-excited for 95% of blockbusters & capeshit
Sounds like a problem on your end, m8.
>>
>>77058444

>It's incredibly cheap to play

No, it's not, one major reason it's not popular is because it's really expensive to play in the US

>"The cost of youth soccer these days is outrageous. Borge’s $1,395 team is a bargain compared to many travel programs where the base fee is $3,000 a year. “How can you charge that for just a year?” Scurry asks. “That’s ridiculous.” And yet two of her friends are paying more than that for their kids in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC. Across the Potomac River, in Maryland, parents can pay up to $12,000 a year on soccer after adding the cost of travel to out-of-state tournaments."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/01/us-soccer-diversity-problem-world-football
>>
>>77068486

That's just stupid too, most of the GOATs are from the shittiest places. I don't think you can even get into the Brazilian national squad unless you've had a family member murdered by a favella gang.
>>
>>77058162
Jews can't make maximum shekels on it like they can with apehoop, handegg, luckswing and furpuck due to there being numerous governing bodies and not just one big one (no, FIFA and UEFA don't work like that) for them to infiltrate. (((Who))) do you think pushes for a European (((super league))) which would have how many governing bodies dictating over the most popular, and therefore most profitable clubs? What a pure coincidence.

>>77060027
>Being a plebbit goy
>>
>>77068486
Only in America can a kid be priced out of one of the most inexpensive sports in the world. America, where the most popular sport requires tons and tons of expensive equipment or the second most popular requires a large metal hoop to be nearby compared to throwing two jumpers down and using them as goalposts.

Love American Football and Basketball is okay, but America is fucking retarded. Could easily be THE biggest superpower in World Football (Large Talent pool + the money to insert a great infrastructure to help kids grow as players) if they were in anyway smart about it.
>>
File: 1491110721075.gif (55KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
1491110721075.gif
55KB, 678x422px
>>77059449
>>
>>77065010
That's awfully specific. Sounds like you had a weird playground.
>>
Because America invented their own fucking sports
>>
culture. in the us soccer is seen as a leisure pastime for rich white girls. it's like asking why isn't polo or crew more popular.
>>
>>77066524
t. cuck
>>
File: gayfootball.png (185KB, 927x489px)
gayfootball.png
185KB, 927x489px
>>77058162
easy answer OP, soccer is literally GAY. See pic as proof
>>
>>77058162
Significantly Less ad revenue than most American sports
> NFL will literally stop the game to for ads
> MLB gets at minimum 9 long commercial breaks per game
> VAR is used in all American sports and not in most soccer leagues, creates even more time for ads
At minimum a flowing soccer game with a good ref could very well only have 1 commercial break
>>
>>77069756
Football is the sport with the largest pool of professional athletes in the world, the more people play it the bigger are the odds of seeing weirdos. In football you can find war veterans, musicians, terrorists, nazi war prisoners, royal british knights, etc.
In the other hand american sports only have three pool of a few thousand people all of the ghetto niggeers or spoiled whities that start playing seriously at college while football has enough talent to organise world cups for 14yo. Even then you manage to have superstars gay murderers superstars.
>>
>>77058162
I think it's popular cos it's easy, there are no rules other than 'don't use your hands' and you don't need any equipment other than a round ball. Also it's practically impossible to get hurt.
>>
>>77071177
>Also it's practically impossible to get hurt.
The fuck?
>>
File: Eduardo_broken-leg.jpg (23KB, 468x303px) Image search: [Google]
Eduardo_broken-leg.jpg
23KB, 468x303px
>>77071177

>(You)
>>
where is the Costa rica poster
>>
>>77058162
A hypothesis is that football practice was encouraged in 19th century England by factory owners to avoid workers to go drinking or worse, make working unions or gathering for political purposes.

Later the UK made foreign investments in other countries and carried the practice with them, especially in the 3rd world (for example, the first Mexican football club was in the State of Hidalgo, where the English made significant investments in the mining industry there, the club still exists there along with some mines).

The idea was good enough that other industrial powers in Europe copied the idea. But the former UK colonies didn't need these practices because unions were illegal there in the first place or they don't allow that kind of action to the UK investors.

Also, it is easy to play, basically you only need a ball and legs. The field size and rules were not standard until after the game was already popular.
>>
>>77065690
>>77065868
Id let her "steal my wallet", if you know what i mean ;)
>>
>>77072053
I honestly don't get it. You keep your wallet in your underpants?
>>
>>77072079
Its implied that my "wallet" is my cock and by stealing it she can have it
>>
>>77072134
I got that. Maybe I was being too pedantic.
>>
>>77069120
>America, where the most popular sport requires tons and tons of expensive equipment or the second most popular requires a large metal hoop to be nearby compared to throwing two jumpers down and using them as goalposts.

Ironically football (american football) is extremely cheap in the US, the public schools subsidize all the gear.
>>
>>77066917
>Its already the 3rd largest sport in the US

No it isn't. It's the 5th largest, maybe 4th.
>>
The American dollar has a great many options. Soccer is all the semen slurpers have.
>>
Americans are 46% non-white with ADHD
>>
>>77072521
Uh-uh.

Fuck that.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (123KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
123KB, 1280x720px
>>77072521
>>
>>77058359
>Because the format of the game doesn't allow for enough commercial breaks
WTF are you talking about bong theirs huge ads on soccer jerseys
>>
Both sports are retarded. It matters only which one you grow up with watching.
>>
File: 1498874321831.jpg (91KB, 1420x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1498874321831.jpg
91KB, 1420x1350px
>>77058500
>3. Soccer had very strong links to the German and Italian communities in the US. Anybody want to guess why that might not have been a good thing?

Can you explain what you mean by this?

>tfw to smart to understand it
>>
>>77059092
If you like that, then you would like hockey. Maximum flow there. All players are constantly moving at all times.
>>
>>77058162
FUGGGGGGGGGG
>>
>>77068486
Oh, didnt know soccer balls were really expensive?

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>77061756
>trying to sound the least bit intelligent on a Malaysian calligraphy forum

baka
>>
>>77072798
On the off-chance you're actually not memeing, World War II.
>>
>>77058162
Country's first sport whether introduced or developed higher than others. It's not popular in America because the Brits didn't invest that much time in making it so. I'd say it's their own fault for not converting us as if that was their plan. That said, I'm not even a soccer fan, just curious as to why European soccer fans act imperialistic towards globalizing the world towards that. Not everyone has to have soccer as the #1 sport in their country.
>>
>>77073268
Also, this thread makes me wonder if we should divide /sp/ by soccer and other sports. Seems like Europeans here are 100% on board with this. I say we let them have it.
>>
Yurobois should be thankful that Americans don't care about soccer because if we took over there'd be salary caps, draft picks, and Manchester United would be based in a more profitable city.

All of these changes would unironically make the game slightly more palatable and interesting but we probably wouldn't stop there. Larger goals would be fun, and goals from outside the penalty area would be worth 2 points.
>>
>>77073280
>Yurobois should be thankful that Americans don't care about soccer because if we took over there'd be salary caps, draft picks, and Manchester United would be based in a more profitable city.

There wouldn't be a salary cap. Salary caps only work in American sports because:

1. Nobody else cares about football
2. The NBA and MLB are so far ahead of all other basketball/baseball leagues that they can have caps while still dramatically outspending everyone else

That wouldn't work in soccer.
>>
>>77073301
The MLS.
>>
>>77073323
See #1.
>>
>>77058162
Theres more money to be made in other sports so americans do that. When the mls starts handing out 200 million dollar contracts america will win a world cup
>>
>>77058343
Anyone is free to compete. Theres no rule against an owner buying a team and moving them to bongland
>>
>>77058422
>more medals than any country in history
>somehow bongmen think theyre superior because they can beat us in soccer a game we literally could care less about
Ok mate
>>
>>77073323
You're proving my point, MLS isn't even a top 15 league.
>>
>>77067465
I never got this meme. Why do third worlders keep posting this?
>>
>>77067412
If you lived here youd know. Ive never actually met a muslim and im only bideotaped in shops/banks. No street cams here
>>
>>77073384
NFL overtime.
>>
>>77068486
https://www.google.com/search?q=soccer+ball&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS735US735&hl=en-US&tbm=shop&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjoyeqQhoPVAhVJeSYKHddQBt0Q_AUICCgC&biw=375&bih=591&dpr=2
Wow so expensive. Correlation =/= causation. Only "rich kids" play it because poorer area schools focus on football and basketball first. Because thats what kids would rather play
>>
>>77059092
>MUH FISUHCALITEH

Go watch wrestling, homo
>>
>>77073401
Yes im aware nfl overtime involves a coin toss. I just dont get why its green texted?
>>
>>77073429

>>77044218
>>77047970
>>
>>77073447
This doesnt really explain anything but ima just let it go. Clearly youre just memeing
>>
>>77068486
>success is often determined by the wealth of the parents
Thats not a soccer thing. Thats an everything in life thing
>>
>>77073488
So you've honestly never heard the oversimplification that winning the overtime coin toss gives you a better chance of winning the game and having the outcome of an overtime game most come down to luck instead of skill is one of the most brought-up negatives of the sport, something that makes it prime shitposting fuel?
>>
>>77073525
That doesnt make any sense tho. You still have to score to win. And a touchdown on the opening drive is extremely difficult maybe happens once every six games, far from luck. I think the statistical edge of your team winning if they win the toss is negligible like 3% or something over a sample of maybe a hundred games
>>
>>77073546
I know. That's why I started out with "oversimplification", though "myth" probably would've been better.
>>
File: IMG_2515.png (104KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2515.png
104KB, 750x1334px
>>77073554
Well thanks for explaining anyway. But in bad weather games its actually better to defer the ball and defend against the wind. Like i said statistically its like a 3% edge but real life math never comes out a perfect 50/50. Id say its literallybthat, a coin flip. Lose or win the toss you still have 11 guys playing on the field
>>
>>77073406
Wait, who the fuck thinks soccer is expensive? I see shitskins playing in the park all the time. Always with some beat to hell ball that looks like it was made in the 80s. Id say hockey is the only expensive sport. Golf maybe second
>>
>>77058162
>Rampant capitalist society
>Players of said sport payed in peanuts
>Why isn't it as popular?

Truly a conundrum for the ages.
>>
It's a feature i like about the US, soccer is for beta manlet cancer.
>>
>>77058500
>1. Squabbling between regional leagues and with FIFA (the sheer size of the country meant it was borderline impossible to put together one functional league)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_football_leagues_in_Brazil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociedade_Esportiva_Palmeiras
Thread posts: 172
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.