[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is everyone in Sports Journalism getting laid off? It used

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

Why is everyone in Sports Journalism getting laid off?

It used to be that if you could write and you chose sports as your subject matter, you could make a pretty decent living. Now, all those jobs are going away. What happened?
>>
Maybe because you can get all the takes you want for free on social media so you don't need to consume takes from magazines
>>
>>76789487

Why would you need sports journalists when you have twitter
>>
Youtube.

/thread
>>
>>76789487
Social media is part of it for sure, but another part is content aggregation. Basically, website can pretty much copy paste articles and it's all legal. See huffington post and Drudge Report. Wel those are the most notorious websites, but even sb nation, bleacher report, espn do a more subtle way of content aggregation.
>>
>>76789487
I think the bigger question is who cares? Sports journalism like most journalism is fucking shit and pointless. Sorry to be so blunt.
>>
>>76789487
because millennials dont feel like paying for cable, magazine or website subscription
>>
>>76790315
>most journalism is fucking shit and pointless

you don't actually believe this, do you? not everything is fake news you know... hating journalism/news doesn't make you seem smarter to anyone, it makes you seem more dumb if anything
>>
Because of the internet, same thing with literature or cinema critics.
Anyone can do it now.
>>
>>76790315
This
>>76794755
How's that degree working out, Kronkite?
>>
>>76789487
People don't read. Simple.
Young people would rather watch video highlights / quick score presenations than read about the match / game.
>>
>>76794755
wrong.
we don't need a middleman for sources now.
we get info directly from the newsmaker via twitter, facebook, insta, etc.
we don't need someone with a subscription to PRnewswire and LexisNexus to dress it up.
additionally, software can write the daily recap of fixed news (dow jones/nasdaq up, oil down). real talent doesn't enter journalism anymore and insiders will tell you it's all about clicks. it devolves into nepotism and a "race to the bottom" to slash journalist salaries.
all that's left is pushing agendas. ask the 3 fired CNN journalists how that's working out.
>>
>>76789487
>you could make a pretty decent living

I don't think this was ever true
>>
>>76794755
Good bait
>>
>>76800534
>we don't need a middleman for sources now.
>we get info directly from the newsmaker via twitter, facebook, insta, etc.

Those sources you listed are middlemen, you fuck-head.
>>
>>76800623
Yeah but we don't need presenters, or commentators or "experts" giving their opinion anymore. Everyone has a voice now. And opinions from "experts" are pointless.

Besides, with the rise of AI technology, it would not be surprising to learn that sports articles are now being generated by an algorithm.
>>
File: smg.jpg (28KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
smg.jpg
28KB, 499x499px
>>76789487
Consolidating media for tighter control.

They're blaming 'cord cutters', but that's bullshit.
>>
>>76800623
Also, look at this content generator:

https://youtu.be/_pgeXaxjgYk
>>
>>76795091
This. We have a generation of children who were brought up on harry potter and that's as far as their mental faculties will take them
>>76800534
>we get info directly from the newsmaker via twitter, facebook, insta, etc.

What does this tell you? Millennials' attention span must be the lowest of any generation in human history. These dribbling mongoloids can't don't have the patience to read even a couple of paragraphs, that's why twitter and instagram are so fucking popular. It's all about gifs and images and retarded memespeak
>>
>>76789487
>you could make a pretty decent living

Journalists earn peanuts, even if they're stuck in a middle eastern shithole risking being blown up daily.
>>
File: newspaper-profits.png (87KB, 1280x950px) Image search: [Google]
newspaper-profits.png
87KB, 1280x950px
>>76789487
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decline_of_newspapers
>>
>>76800838
yep
>>76800765
this
>>
>>76800823
you are acting like sports analysis takes a lot of mental faculties in the first place. if you know terminology and watch a decent amount of sport, you can write for a news agency
you unironically could pick up any regular on this board, give him a job at ESPN writing "analysis", and the quality would be no worse
>>
YouTube and Podcasts like Barstool. Hell I even have my own sports podcast, how can ESPN compete when someone like me, your average armchair QB, can get listeners to listen to me spew the same bullshit they do? Although ESPN did just release their new 30 for 30 Podcast series today with Dan and Dave as their first episode, it was pretty solid. So good on ESPN for that.
>>
>>76800733

Would you rather have someone credible add insight to an event that happens or have some joe-schmo deliver all of the news to you. Obviously 95%+ of syndicated news sources are dubiously "credible" but you can piece things together based on what they're all saying. It's much more difficult to parse the "bigger picture" from a series of incoherent tweets, etc.

That being said, sports journalism has no importance on the bearings of the real world, so it's not necessary at all.
>>
>>76800871
The media in the US isn't really a business.

>>76800765
this guy gets it. Smarten up bros.
>>
>>76800868
I am talking about people's willingness or ability to read a sports story now. No one reads anymore. the emphasis now is on gifs or pictures or image macros for millennials
>>
>>76800912
The media isnt a business, it's selling advertisements.
>>
>>76800919
PUHleese. More like that's what the media wants to produce.

Take for example the jump from Grantland to the Ringer.

They pump out mindless dribble ON PURPOSE
>>
>>76800919
How to write an article in 2017

(title) HOLY CRAP LOOK AT THIS CLICK BAIT!!

(image macro)
(2 sentence intro)
(paragraph about clickbait headline)
(image macro)
(reworded version of previous paragraph)

Done. Pay me.
>>
>>76800850
>you will never be an investigative news journalist in the golden age of newspapers working 9-3 in smoke-filled newsrooms then heading out to meet your anonymous deep-throat sources in shady car parks
>>
>>76789487
the way the content is being consumed is changing

Nobody wants newspapers/magazines or even to watch tv.

People just want to be able to watch it on their computer or listen to it on their phone.

They also don't want to pay for shit from """""experts"""""" opinions when you can there are tons of people online who can talk about sports just as well for free.
>>
>>76800966
yep

mongfeed-tier journalism is the norm now, even in the UK formerly respectable news organizations like the BBC have gone to complete shit in the last 5 years and jumped on the clickbait, SJW-pandering journalism. It's cancer
>>
>>76800941
your English sucks Pajeet, but keep correcting the record
>>
>>76801013
>clickbait
kek, why do you people believe this meme?

it's being done on purpose, and I promise you 'clicks' have nothing to do w/ it.
>>
>>76800976
>
Nobody wants newspapers/magazines or even to watch tv.

Internet media will NEVER be as efficiently presented as newspapers and magazines, nor as appealing to the lazy (i.e. me) as just turning the TV on and falling asleep on the couch after a day at work.
>>
File: BeFunky-Collage77[1].jpg (570KB, 3994x1994px) Image search: [Google]
BeFunky-Collage77[1].jpg
570KB, 3994x1994px
>>76789487

Because they stopped talking about what they know about (sports) and started thinking they were actual journalists who need to talk about social justice and gun control everytime they got a chance. no one wants to hear that shit from them. people watch sports to get away from that crap.
>>
>>76800733
Some experts are insightful, like actual coaches who've studied a sport their whole lives.

I don't know why they aren't given panel slots instead of ex-players who just spout cliches and say what everyone can see already.
>>
File: 1412851971913.jpg (45KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1412851971913.jpg
45KB, 645x773px
>>76801079
>actual journalists who need to talk about social justice and gun control everytime they got a chance
>actual journalists
>>
>>76801079
disney ruined espn
>>
>>76800765
This. /thread
>>
File: bruce jenner in a wig.jpg (60KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
bruce jenner in a wig.jpg
60KB, 1200x675px
>>76801102
no, this moment killed E!SPN
>>
>>76801185
that was the straw that broke the camel's back moment for sure
>>
File: nope.gif (2MB, 286x237px) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
2MB, 286x237px
>>76801135
>Ownership of ABC, and in effect control of ESPN, was acquired first by Capital Cities Communications in 1985, and then by The Walt Disney Company in 1996. In 2012, ESPN generated more revenue for Disney than any of its other properties combined.[8]
>>
I remember reading somewhere that the number of people attending journalism schools in the US has actually increased lel
>>
And nothing of value was lost tbqh amirite?
>>
>>76801185
>>76801207
It's been proven this had no influence on their ratings. This triggered a lot of old men for sure but it didn't do anything to their ratings.
>>
>>76801273
Sure, it's an easy sounding career and education
>>
File: hihikoj.jpg (18KB, 248x189px) Image search: [Google]
hihikoj.jpg
18KB, 248x189px
>>76801397
>ratings

stawp
>>
File: fellowkids.jpg (91KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
fellowkids.jpg
91KB, 900x720px
>>76801397
>2017
>still believing 'ratings' are legitimate

nice one Pajeet
>>
File: hgdtw.jpg (4KB, 215x215px) Image search: [Google]
hgdtw.jpg
4KB, 215x215px
>>76801397
>>
>>76801502
>>76801471
>>76801432
explain to me why ratings are illegitimate, are they just made up?
>>
>>76801596
look at every decision the MSM has made in the last 2 years or so, and then get back to me with the legimatcy of 'ratings'.

>I know what will help our sports network watched by predominantly straight males! Lots of feminists, fags ad trannies!
>>
>>76801688
yea but that's just a bad business decision to boost ratings, not that rating themselves are a flawed way to view success in television
>>
Journalism has been dead for years. Click bait is what the media has become for about 5 years now. OP is truly retarded af. Everything is "tabloid" journalism. Not just in sports, but all types of news outlets. Why pay some fuckwad hipster with a useless journalism degree 60k when you can find some fuccboi, pay him 35k, tell him to go on social media and copy and paste a bunch of shit on the most trending topic...
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.