[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is anyone else starting to wonder if basketball is just a shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 9

File: MattBonner.jpg (879KB, 1525x2000px) Image search: [Google]
MattBonner.jpg
879KB, 1525x2000px
Is anyone else starting to wonder if basketball is just a shit sport?

Everyone keeps responding to the bitching about the Warriors by saying "There's never been parity in the NBA." And they're right, there really hasn't. But instead of just accepting this, shouldn't we really be wondering why this is?

I think basketball is just kind of fucking dumb. There's too few players on a team. The court is too small. The rules are too easy to abuse if you happen to be particularly talented. I think basketball is just kind of a garbage sport. And then of course the NBA makes it worse with the bullshit way their league and salary cap are structure.
>>
The Euroleague and NCAA is fun to follow. The NBA is a shit league for a million reasons. The sport is fine.
>>
>>76525058
>The rules are too easy to abuse if you happen to be particularly talented.
kek what the fuck
>>
>>76525058
the last sentence was the only one you needed
>>
>>76525107
Elite players in other sports don't break their sports the way elite players in basketball do.
>>
>>76525147
Because they weight much much more in relative in basketball
Lebron is 1/5th of his team
Messi is 1/11th
And the court is very small
>>
>>76525092
euroleague...... fucking puke

bunch of out of shape tall ulgy fucks with unpronounceable names shiieeeettt atleast the nba has some entertainment
>>
with so much scoring only the last two minutes are worth watching
>>
I think the problems are with both basketball and the NBA

The issues with basketball as a sport are:

>1 player does 20% of the stuff and can play most minutes since very little stress, so they have so much influence on a game
>so much scoring that each basket is basically irrelevant. It's like the MLB regular season in every single game
>referees having way too much power with the ability to foul players out, give them a number of fouls and make them sit out stretches of the game, etc

The issues with the NBA are:

>having referees who, say, go to prison for fixing playoff series and not taking measures to stop it
>have a draft lottery instead of a normal draft, because it shows a lot about how terrible your sport is that you have to not give the worst team the best pick
>having so many regular season games that are more or less useless, with over half the league making the playoffs, that coaches of great teams can freely rest players during games knowing it doesn't matter
>prioritizing your stars over your teams
>>
>>76525258
and also

>referees never calling things that should be fouls like the constant illegal screens, travels, double dribbling, etc
>referees literally calling games differently in playoffs
>the ridiculous fouling in the last two minutes that turns a game into an intentional foul and timeout half hour of boredom
>>
>>76525166
But that's the whole point. The FUNDAMENTALS of basketball are fucked. The sport's got a problem all the way to its heart.
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (145KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
145KB, 1280x720px
>>76525176

blasphemy
>>
>>76525281
>>76525258
oh and also, sorry for missing this too

>the lack of a hard salary cap with a bunch of bullshit rules to allow teams to keep players for way under market value with some "luxury tax" bullshit and the existence of max contracts at all
>>
yes basketball is the shittiest sport ever. they all will be mad at this but blah blah blah they know. their sport is shit.
>>
>>76525195
this desu, and the last two minutes are all timeouts anyways.
>>
Basketball is the best sport. Parity doesn't matter as long as we get to see basketball at the highest quality which is what the Warriors do. They way they always make the extra pass, moving off ball, space the court and actually playing like a team is so much better than the iso ball cancer of the early 2000s
>>
>>76525933
>Parity doesn't matter as long as we get to see basketball at the highest quality which is what the Warriors do.

You are a KEK and you need to get the fuck out. No sport matters unless YOUR team, the team you root for and have rooted for all your life, has at least the hope of winning a championship. Fuck the idea of seeing the sport played at the highest level. This is fine from time to time, but it doesn't sustain anything. The whole reason we watch sports is to see OUR teams win. I don't give a shit about any team that isn't my own, which is why I didn't watch the Finals. The only potential exceptions to this are the Super Bowl and the World Cup Final.
>>
>>76525283
Stop watching it then. The true patricians know that basketball is a shit sport to watch, because it relies heavily on skill. The most talented team are almost garanteed to win in the NBA, there are very few upsets and no suspense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNlgISa9Giw
>>
>>76526148
Bandwaggon faggots BTFO
>>
I think it's interesting that you'd judge a popular sport over 100 years old by the quality of posts on a children's message board. And by interesting I mean incredibly stupid.

The NBA is shit. Basketball is the best to play. So go fuck yourself.

>"There's never been parity in the NBA."

Between 1973 and 1983, 8 different teams won the championship. But okay.
>>
>>76525933
>iso worse than meme threes

I'm gonna have to disagree
>>
>There's never been parity
Yes there has. Even against dominant teams like the 90's bulls they at times came close to losing
>>
A nigger attacked my dad's house last night. I defeated him though.
>>
>>76528517
Thanks for sharing cletus
>>
>>76525058
Basketball itself is great. College basketball is fantastic. The NBA is shit
>>
>>76525058
There is nothing wrong with basketball as a sport, Euroleague and international basketball are very interesting. The NBA will be trash for the next couple of seasons tho, thanks to too much player power and the salary cap spike that allowed GSW to get Durant.

Giannis, KAT and Jokic will make basketball great again soon.
>>
>>76525058
In Basketball teams take turns scoring again and again for 60 minutes (in reality it takes about four hours because of commercials) until the final five minutes where the teams start fouling each other immediately on every single play and it turns into a free throw shooting contest.

The only reason Americans love it so much is because it is played by huge, athletic blacks on loads of money, and overweight, circumcised Americans who only get a week paid holiday a year can live vicariously through these nogs for a few hours.
>>
Can someone explain the salary cap to me? How is it possible that the Warriors have so many superstars on their team? How can you afford 4 elite players, as well as a few others that are pretty damn good?
>>
>>76526319
They're not even the top meme chucker son the league. The cavs and Houston I know for a fact shoot more 3's than the warriors
>>
>>76528953
Drafted all their stars and they signed them before the cap jump. The cavs wouldn't even sniff the finals if there was a hard cap because of lebrons worth.
>>
File: warriors.jpg (137KB, 573x861px) Image search: [Google]
warriors.jpg
137KB, 573x861px
>>76528953
>2016–17 season, the salary cap will be set at $94.14 million
>Steph salary wasnt inflated due to his history of being injury prone.

Luckily for them the Finals MVP the servant Durant is said to take a paycut to keep the core of the team if Curry decides to grab as much shekels as he demands, as long as the most important roleplayer Shaun Livingston is still with them. Others can be easily replaced.
>>
>>76528952
>circumcised
You went too far muhamaf
>>
>>76525058
> Is anyone else starting to wonder if basketball is just a shit sport?
> starting

We've been saying that for years now. You're only noticing because your favorite player got trashed.

IMO, the problem is that Basketball is fundamentally a flawed sport in so many ways.
>>
>>76526202
>heavily reliant on skill
So are you saying that it's a coincidence that NBA players are so much taller than the average person or are you saying that being tall is a skill?

Before you post a black swan, realize that I understand that exceptions can prove the rule.
>>
>>76528953
http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/salary-cap-history.html
Its a cap on the money a team can give to its players without having to pay luxury tax. Once a team goes over the cap they have to pay the league for every dollar they are over the cap. Repeat offenders also get extra taxation smacked on their wallets.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/GSW.html
They have Curry on a babby contract and Durant who took less money to join them. Also guys like iggy and Livingston took less money and McGee and west are on minimum contracts.
>>
>>76525058
This says less about the sport and more about over expansion. There's not enough talent for the number of teams right now. Cut the league by 1/3 and it's fine. Of course this will never happen.
>>
>>76526148
>it's not fair if the other team has better players
>I don't care about the game, I only care about winning
You must have been one of those participation trophy kids.
>>
>>76525058
of course it's shit, you need to be a circus freak to play it at the highest level
>>
>>76529127
>not enough talent
>there is one clearly dominant league in the world
This isn't soccer where the worlds best players are split up among 4-5 leagues. There is only one league that the best play in, it's the NBA. What insane kind of logic is this?
>>
>>76529101
ok so first, height is an advantage in basketball, but not a skill (it's a physical trait), height gives you more absolute advantages in this sport than being small
second, skill would be to be precise, and some other useful things like know when to jump to get a rebound etc. there are people who have more talent with that than other
third, now combine the 2 above, skille tall players are better than just tall players who are more useful than skilled normal sized people
obviously the number of skilled tall players (above 7") is very small, but they are so much best than everyone else at this sport that they eclipse everybody else, because 1 player is 1/5th of his team
I say it's easy for a skilled tall player to completely dominate the game and carry his team, because they are so rare, they seldom confront other skilled tall players of their calibre. so the outcome of the games are very predictable. that's why the sport sucks
>>
>>76529181
>insane logic
There are too many teams relative to the supply of talent. It's straightforward and why the league is uncompetitive.
>>
>>76525195
could've been prevented by not adding the shot-clock. Muricans freaked out at the thought of enjoying a thrilling 19-20 game where every point matters. That's why they'll never get soccer
>>
File: when will they learnn.jpg (99KB, 640x920px) Image search: [Google]
when will they learnn.jpg
99KB, 640x920px
>>76529174
>people who are 6'2 are circus freaks
when
will
they
learn
>>
It's because of the shit drafting system.
>>
File: why_nba_sucks.jpg (44KB, 849x451px) Image search: [Google]
why_nba_sucks.jpg
44KB, 849x451px
>>76529256
>>
>>76529339

>Muricans freaked out at the thought of enjoying a thrilling 19-20 game where every point matters.

Does Hockey not exist?
>>
>>76529342
Being 6'2" in the NBA does require a "circus freak" level of talent, relatively speaking, since most people who are 6'2" could never make it.
Alternatively, if you lack that level of talent you can still make it in the league if you're 7 feet tall or have some wild athletic abilities, both of which are freakish.
>>
>>76529117
The only way they got Durant was because of a single year fluke. They wouldn't have been able to sign him the year before or this year.
>>
>>76529392
and it's the least followed sport of your big 4. Only white people from cold climates (read: high IQ) care about it
>>
>>76529404
Yep, the cap spike happened at the perfect time for them.
>>
>>76529397
that brit wasn't talking about freakishness in terms of talent, friend.
>>
>>76529339
>Americans will never get soccer
It's the fastest growing sport in the US and looking at the demographics it will surpass the NBA and NFL within 2-3 generations.

Unless you really believe you can get hispanics to worship black athletes like white Americans have been trained to (they won't).
>>
File: bugs bunny broken.jpg (60KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
bugs bunny broken.jpg
60KB, 720x540px
>>76525299
Surprises me to see Billy in a nba thread. But really now, nba is miles ahead of euroleague in regards to almost everything (except the wierd no zone rules that nba has).
Also fuck he wasn't good in Sunday's game.
>>
>>76526148
>No sport matters unless YOUR team, the team you root for and have rooted for all your life, has at least the hope of winning a championship
No? If that happened small teams would bever have fans, there are things like loyalty you know. Not everything has to make some contrived sense.
>>
>>76530040
>doesn't have to make sense
Why am I not surprised NBA fans have no concept of loyalty or pride. Watch a real sport for once, please.
>>
>>76526148
What local team do you support, cuck master?
Can you even walk to your stadium?
Oh, that's right, it's even a team, it's a franchise that can be moved around and renamed.
>>
basketball appeals to the lowest lifeforms
>>
>>76525058
I'm starting to think so too. It's hard to watch. I don't think people here even watch it. They just wait until someone loses to shitpost them. There's no real discussion.
>>
>>76529496
>because the league went from 1 fan to 50 fans in a year thats a 5000% growth rate, logically it will continue to grow at the same rate
>>
Basketball is a fun sport if things line up correctly, in fact I would say it's probably the most entertaining.
But in the wide majority of games, basketball sucks. It's even worse in the NBA and things don't look like they're getting better.

They need to make the playoffs smaller and cut down, drastically, on the amount of games in a season.
>>
Thye shold make the ring smaller or a tirnagle
>>
>>76525058

It's gotten so much worse. It's no longer a team game. Just give the ball to your best player and let them go 1 on 1. The 24 second shot clock ruined the game.
>>
>>76530982

Essentially you will be cutting revenue by a large amount if your solution is to cut games in the regular season and playoffs.

This is the worst thing imaginable for the NBA which operates as a business first.

Although I agree with you 100 percent , it will never happen. In fact, the contrary seems to happening, not in more games but that the league is moving forward on penalizing teams for resting their stats during the regular season.

The players organization fucked up, they should have negotiated less games to prolong their careers but that was probably off the table and they took the pay raises
>>
>>76531271
Stars*
>>
>>76528830

My names not Cletus. I live in Seattle. Shot him in the stomach.
>>
>>76525058
How to fix the NBA:
>five seconds closely guarded
>call charges right
>dont let people hammer everyone under the basket and not call fouls consistently under there

Also fuck KD, and Paul Pierce. The warriors are the ultimate caricature of a team in the NBA. They cheese the way NBA games run to the max, whether it be those shitty foul draw attempts from half court or just endlessly chucking threes nobody wants to guard. Fuck all the metro-hipster, non basketball fan bay area circle jerking faggots that never gave a shit about their local team until they stopped sucking ass.
>>
>>76525300
tfw the league raises the cap just to let the warriors add enough to beat the cavs :^)
>>
>>76525058
It's not the problem with the game, it with how it's called. League directs the flow of game with rules. In Shaq era, he could do everything under the basket. Shove people away, use elbows, everything. Now you have big man handling the ball rules, where you can't touch them on the perimeter, or you get called for foul. Certain guards can travel as much as they want, and you have super protected shooters, making use of illegal moving screens.

NBA was always show first, integrity second. If a team manages to hype one of their stars, league will bend the rules to his strengths. It's very important to make a player marketable. Without that, he will get nothing, and team will get no ref and rule protection. The problem now is that two team have everything, the rest nothing.
>>
>>76525058
The answer is to increase the size of the court. Remove the backboard and add more space behind the hoop so you can score on all sides. Then increase the player count to like 8 or so. I think there is a sport similar to this already that no one cares about.
>>
>>76525933
>iso worse than just throwing the ball at the hoop until you win, or trying to draw shooting fouls from half court

bandfaggot spotted
>>
>>76525933
We haven't even reached peak chucking in the league and I already miss the iso days.
>>
>>76531430
I wonder when we'll top out at 3 point attempts per game. The allstar game a couple years ago had an equal number of 2s and 3s and it still feels like more could be chucked.
>>
>>76529339
fuck off euro, you might get a boner watching men dribble a ball around for hours but we arent faggots
>>
>>76531183
That's how it was in the 90s with Jordan and people loved it.
>>
>>76529339
We already reached the logical conclusion to that with the 4 corners offense and teams doing literally nothing for minutes at a time.
>>
>>76526148
But I'm already getting that with the Warriors. I had to suffer through eons of awful teams while Chicago, Boston, and Los Angeles traded championships. I got glimmers of hope with Run TMC and We Believe, but mostly it was just misery. Now the Dubs run the league and I'm going to enjoy every fucking second of it because I know it will eventually end and they'll go back to being the laughing stock of the league for 40 more years.
>>
File: 2016-03-17 (1).png (616KB, 980x764px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-17 (1).png
616KB, 980x764px
>>76526148
jesus christ dude
>>
>>76531183
What are you talking about? That's how it was in the 90's-mid 00's.
>>
>>76531570
The point is that that's bad. It's the sign of a bad sport.
>>
>>76531875
You have it all twisted. The modern game is passing until you have an open 3 to take or driving the lane and passing to an open 3 all the while trying to take advatange of the foul rules to constantly draw fouls, and only after that is shut down do you give it to a star to try and score at the last second. It is infinitely worse than 90s iso ball.
>>
It's a sport where it's more surprising when a team doesn't score than does.
>>
the sport is broken, full of too many loopholes and bizarre rules to counter some of these loopholes.
the NBA has pulled miracles to make it marketable.
>>
>>76530226
>>76526239
>>
File: 1454988855100.png (230KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1454988855100.png
230KB, 640x360px
things that are bad in the NBA

> draft lottery over ordered picks.
you get something stupid like the celtics who were the #1 seed getting a top pick. bad teams will never be able to rebuild if the top teams feast

> refball is basically superstar protect mode
this is a post-jordan thing but even more extreme. it's all offensive-tilted and hurts watching a game when you get fags like harden not even playing defense, it's insulting to watch as a fan

> revenue sharing isn't like the NFL
NFL thrives because all 32 teams get an equal slice.

this means even smaller markets have a chance. in the nba, the big markets are turbo jews and never want to share and strengthen the league

> overly political correct "brand culture"
no star wants to have a real rivalry, because it could hurt their endorsement potential, even lebron is still friendly with a lot of guys around the league. nobody wants to be seen as a villain or cares too much about it

this is more of a generational thing i suppose, but can you imagine MJ or kobe cracking jokes with with a playoff opponent

combined with the #2 player in the league going to a team that cucked him 3-1 and having 73 wins, it's unwatchable.

it's a 2 team league (3 but spurs were banged up), why even watch
>>
>>76525299
who is this balding ape
>>
>>76525058
the problem with basketball and especially the nba is because how little strategy is involved. you can have 3 2 metre guys in your team that are strong and you have a good chance of winning

I think it's less like that in lower skilled leagues like the euroleague, but still prevalent
>>
>>76529342
>6'2

that's a gigamanlet by nba standards
>>
>>76529339
>geat a lead
>stand in a corner of the court dribbling the entire game
>any attempts to stop you is a reach in foul

The only way that would work is if basketball was made full contact, which I'm not opposed to, but I think that's starting to change too much. I think what would go leaps and bounds is if they stopped calling fouls for players like curry jumping into guys when he's shooting a 3, or like lebron just running through people to draw a foul. Who cares if their feet arent set or whatever, its bullshit and all the fouls totally kill the game
>>
>>76525058
>game often has 30 FTs per team

yeah its a shit sport
>>
>>76525258
without the lottery the Cavs couldnt have "won" the #1 pick twice in 3 years while Lebron was wrapping up in Miami
>>
File: bill-laimbeer-RickStewart.jpg (165KB, 608x262px) Image search: [Google]
bill-laimbeer-RickStewart.jpg
165KB, 608x262px
>>76537629
>full contact

The league doesn't even allow hard fouls any more, full contact would never fly.

The entire starting five of the Bad Boys would foul out in the first quarter if they played in today's NBA.
>>
>>76536372
>revenue sharing
You can do that because the nfl is universally very popular everywhere in the country. So while certainly some teams are worth more than others everyone's pulling some weight.That's not the case with any other sport, where a few select teams are 50% or more of fans, interest, merchants sales, however you want to measure it, so the big teams have to share a lot more in those.
>>
>>76525283
then don't watch it, bitch

just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's a shit sport
>>
they need to bring back hand checking something terrible and get rid of the dwayne wade rule
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.