[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >play american football throughout my childhood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0167.jpg (56KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0167.jpg
56KB, 640x360px
>be me
>play american football throughout my childhood and adolescence
>made fun of people who played European football
>start watching euro football a few years back
>realize that it's my favorite sport
>want to git gud but im already 19 and have barely played

I fucked up lads, the one sport that I genuinely enjoy playing I suck at. I want to git gud now, how do I do it???? I have access to a shitty field 7 days a week and decent equipment. I'm in phenomenal shape (lifting and running 6 days a week) so I have no problem with conditioning, but I can't dribble whatsoever

Should I just give up???
>>
Honestly football is just about having fun with your friends.
I played it for like 10 years and I'm still shit but I would never say no to a game.
>>
>>76515658
Grind.

Dribble it up and down the field for awhile.

Get some people who are good at it and start playing some mini games with them.

You'll be shit at first but you'll get better.
>>
is 5 a side football or sunday league a big thing in the states?

it's huge here and you can do it up to any age. Well I'd maybe 40-50 years old.
>>
>>76515702
>>76515703

Yeah, I managed to get 10 friends to go up to the field for a few weeks in a row and its been a blast. Problem is that we all suck. They played in HS, but they aren't "good". Regardless, I'm happy to play with them and we have a lot of fun
>>
File: IMG_0024.jpg (27KB, 473x459px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.jpg
27KB, 473x459px
>>76515767

I live in one of the most populated cities and I would have to drive 2+ hours to the opposite side of the city to even think about joining a league
>>
>>76515658
>I have access to a shitty field 7 days a week
Grab a couple of mates and a couple of footballs and practice finishing over and over and over in front of the goal from any position, header, weak foot, free kicks, and so on.

Many years ago I was in the same position as you and after a whole summer of practice I became the definitive ireplaceable clinical tap in & header man in any team ever.
>>
>>76515842
Surely that can't be true...

I was in LA over last summer and there were shitloads of soccer fields / events.
>>
>>76515778
I don't know if it's a thing in the US, but here we have "friend teams" which are basically independent teams in terms of practice, shirts, name, logo, etc but they are registered at a local club (to make use of the pitch, locker rooms, etc).
You play against other teams like that in a league and it's just for fun.
>>
>>76515658
learning soccer sucks actually
it's a fun when you have no ambition but if you want to gid gut you have to spend a lot of time kicking he ball against a wall and doing other ball control stuff by yourself
that is on top of athleticism
it's really boring and a waste of youth really
i tried
>>
>>76515658
You can better if you're good, but if you're hopeless then you have no chance

Me and my friends all played against each other every single day, and even then we were completely different skill levels to each other

Having the touch can't be taught
>>
>>76515983
>>76515923

Not possible in my city lads... Midwest is a shit hole

It's unfortunate as the only person I know who plays in something similar to a friend league says he has to travel 2 hours to get there.

Apehoop, on the other hand, is rampant
>>
>>76516010
Ball control can definitely be taught.

It's just that if you never played the sport in your formative years, it will be extremely difficult to be anything over than average no matter how hard you train.
>>
>>76515993
Well, yeah that's the same with anything sport though.

The only ones who make are the ones who genuinely love the process. You really have to love the solitary training.
>>
Just start juggling at least 45 mins a day with breaks when u need it, try to have fun with it by trying diffrent things and staling the ball. If you have access to a huge wall that makes it better since u can juggle a bit then smash or pass it at a spot on the wall and try to control it. If no access to a wall just put random objects around the area at various ranges ur kicking in and aim for them. Pair that up with jogging every other day.
>>
>>76516047
Then i guess you have to stick to those 10 guys.
I mean something like that is unimaginable here, we have like 1 club / 10 square km.
>>
theres probably a misconception that soccer is more popular than it is in the us. most people i know aren't familiar with the sport. they know it's a sport but beyond that they're lost.
if you want to play soccer here you have to get proactive about it. you have to get kind of serious. rarely can you stroll down to the park and causally get involved in something going on.
>>
2bh the way i enjoy playing the most is just with some friends and having fun
>>
>>76516467

This desu, Americans arent exactly active. Getting people to leave their house if you aren't drinking or throwing a party is hard enough. Imagine telling your mates you going to play football. They'll fucking laugh
>>
>>76515983
I live in the us in a small shit city but its full of mexicans. So we have independent teams here. Its one of the perks of living with beaners
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.