[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into baseball? Are the rules hard to learn? I understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

How do I get into baseball? Are the rules hard to learn? I understand the very basics it's the more complex stuff I've never understood.
>>
watch games
>>
>>76214057
play a boreball vidya game
>>
There's not many rules, it's just strategy and variables.
>>
i could also unironically use a retard-tier explanation if this is what i'm going to be watching every summer for the rest of my life
>>
Balks and baserunning peculiarities (interference and obstruction) are the only things that are hard to learn, but they don't happen often enough to bother learning until they happen.
>>
>>76214057
>>76214097

ask away, i know everything there is to know about babsel
>>
Basic shit like 3 outs, 9 innings, single or double.

Intermediate shit like right v lefty, shift, or fastball v slider

Advanced shit like OPS, double switch or balks. Really not that hard
>>
>>76214057

Just look up the basic rules and afterwards watch some games.
>>
Rules are pretty simple. Unwritten rules are dumb as hell.
>>
>>76214743
i guess the only thing i don't actually get is the pitching and the strategy behind it when i think about it. what a pitcher is trying to do when it seems like they're intentionally running the ball up to 4 then hitting 2-3 strikes in a row. stuff that you wouldn't pick up on if you didn't play the game growing up.
>>
>>76214843

that all depends on the hitter and situation. sometimes a less skilled pitcher is trying to finesse his way into the hitter's head, sometimes the catcher and scouts have a gameplan in place to lull a slumping hitter into a swing and miss
>>
I never realized how many rules there are in baseball until I actually tried to explain the game to a foreigner. That said, if you just watch a couple games you will get the important points, and then later you can work your way around to obscure things like, say, the infield fly rule.

As far as getting into it, check out some baseball related movies. Bad News Bears is my favorite.
>>
>>76214843
if a pitcher is "up in the count" 0-2 or 1-2, he will rarely throw a pitch in the strike zone. trying to get the batter to chase a ball and either strike out or make poor contact and ground out
>>
just watch a few games the whole way through. the announcers do a pretty good job of explaining shit
>>
Catch the fuckin ball and have those big cocksuckers who can hit the ball out of the park and you won't make mistakes
>>
>>76214843
There are lots of reasons to throw a ball on purpose.

The biggest is that even if the player makes contact the chance it will be in play with a chance at a hit is greatly lessened.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.