[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't more players in the American sport system refuse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: football-eli-philip.jpg (99KB, 750x994px) Image search: [Google]
football-eli-philip.jpg
99KB, 750x994px
Why don't more players in the American sport system refuse to play for the shitty team which drafted them?
>>
They trying to get finna paid son
>>
They trying to get finna paid son
>>
>>75925266
Because those private leagues set up a rule forbidding a franchise to sign a player drafted by another franchise. Of course, a player can refuse to play for the franchise that drafted him, but that would prevent him to play in the league in the first place.
>>
How does the draft work? Can't you just skip it?
>>
>>75925829
Seems a lot like slavery. There really needs to be another strong handegg/apehoop league to give players more options
>>
>>75925838
I'm pulling this out of my ass but I think you very easily can just go in as an undrafted free agent, but actual draft picks have higher bucks attached to the pick #
>>
>>75925838
If you refuse to sign with your drafted team, I believe you have to sit out until next year and re-enter the draft process. It might differ by leagues.
>>
>>75925266
>tfw hated him at the time
>tfw completely understand now

t. san diego fag and former chorgors fan
>>
>>75925838
Yes, but draft picks are guaranteed decent money and security entering the league. Undrafted players have next to no options financially. And really, no rookie knows if he's gonna last in the league or not. Better to get in, try your best and make as much money as possible, than go in making scraps and get cut by season's end.
>>
>>75925907
I only know about the NBA draft, but yeah, any non-drafted player can go to the summer workouts to try to get a contract.

I don't think anything prevents a potential NCAA 1st choice pick to not present himself to the draft and try to sign direclty to the Cavs or the Warriors instead as an undrafted free-agent. It would ruin the league set-up, though. Also, it's quite risky, because the NCAA would basically kick him out for that. And franchises can pick any player they want past a certain age, even if they didn't declare themselves eligible for the draft (I think, I'm not sure).
>>
Cuz it is a shitty thing to do. If you declare for the draft, you know what you are signing up for
>>
>another tard question from a tard user in braindead third world country

Why the fuck didn't we just allow the CCCP to overrun Europe?
>>
>>75925862
>Seems a lot like slavery.

It is, but it helps keep the talented slaves spread among the league as opposed to consolidating them all on the richest plantation. Without the draft, the richest plantation would just buy up all the best talent, and the competition would suck ass in the league.
>>
i don't get why NBA don't follow up Youth Division systems, they can develop the player as well as they want, and they will able to miss way less potential talent .

They just have to pay for Education, or have a deal with some college, if the players wants obviously, i think a lot of players wouldn't go to college if everyone was drafted directly from HS
>>
>>75926043
>former

Disgusting
>>
>>75929209
>supporting a team that left you
that would be disgusting
>>
>>75925862
>trying to compete with the NFL

The AFL tried in the 60s. It didn't work out.
>>
>>75929209

Also SD fag here. Always hated chargers. So glad thry left. Now if we can get a footy here that would be breddy gud
>>
>>75929336

Yeah... it kinda did. The 10 teams from the AFL all merged with the NFL 10 years after it formed to end bidding wars over players over this very issue. Well, the NFL wanted to end the bidding wars. The AFL wanted the higher revenue that the NFL was making, but only because the league had been around decades longer.
>>
>>75925862
well they get paid millions and these terms have been collectively bargained by their own reps.
>>
>>75929394
Latin American scum....
>>
>>75925862
There have been competitors, they just get swallowed up eventually

National League and American League
NFL and AFL
NBA (formed as a merge of the NBL and BAA) and ABA
NHL and WHA

>>75925838
>How does the draft work?

Depends on the league. The NHL's rules are probably the most complex because CHL, NCAA and European players all have different situations.

>Can't you just skip it?

Not really. In the NHL you are automatically eligible to be drafted the year you turn 18
>>
>>75925266
Its funny how everybody shit on Eli when him and his family basically forced that trade to NY, but 2 SB rings later he looks like a goddamn genius. Especially since he followed in Elway's footsteps when he refused to play for the Colts(and he went on to win 2(TWO) SBs as well. Which makes the fact that no one else has really done it that much stranger.
>>
>>75925266
Eli is just a pawn in a very large game
>>
>>75930064

Your assumption is wrong my friend. You can be white and not like Nigger Felon League
>>
>>75930763
REKT
>>
>>75930349
>but 2 SB rings later he looks like a goddamn genius.
No he doesn't, he's the most autistic QB
>>
>>75925862
Yes. History often forgets slaves were paid millions of dollars for half a years work
>>
>>75930763
That may be true, but you can't not be a gigantic faggot to like soccer....
>>
>>75925266
Wait what? So players get drafted for the league in general and not for a team? How does that work with homegrown talents/youth league players?

This sounds a lot like >communism to be honest
>>
>>75931601
>So players get drafted for the league in general and not for a team?

No, they get drafted by specific teams. The question OP asks is why more players don't refuse to sign with the shitty teams and demand a trade to a decent organization
>>
rookie contracts are prorated based on draft position. you could get insurance if you are projected to go high, but that would require signing up for the draft. any player drafted will get a way higher contract than an UDFA if they make the squad
>>
>>75931601
Shhhh. Americans don't like when we point out this to them
>>
>>75930349
And like other teams that top draft picks refused to sign with, the team eventually moved.

NFL:
John Elway refused to play for the Baltimore Colts -> Colts move to Indy
Eli Manning refused to play for the San Diego Chargers -> Chargers move to LA

NBA:
Steve Francis refused to play for the Vancouver Grizzlies -> Grizzlies move to Memphis

NHL:
Eric Lindros refused to play for the Quebec Nordiques -> Nords move to Colorado
>>
>>75925266
Because most players don't have the leverage to do so. You have to be really promising if you want that privilege.
>>75932655
Selective memory. Bo Jackson rejected the Bucs and played baseball for the length of his contract instead, and they're still in Tampa.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.