[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't the NHL draw like the NBA? The NHL playoffs are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: IrrelevantPuck.jpg (70KB, 744x471px) Image search: [Google]
IrrelevantPuck.jpg
70KB, 744x471px
Why can't the NHL draw like the NBA?

The NHL playoffs are losing to redneck race now!
>>
niche sport and a regional sport
>>
>>75872665
>WAAAH I CAN'T SEE THE PUCK
>where are all the black players?
>>
>>75872746
Pretty much this.

If you don't live in the Northeast (Midwest, MAYBE) or Canada, nobody cares.

Even so, in Boston at least, NHL popularity comes and goes depending on how good the Bruins are that season. Nobody wants to sit there for hours watching some goalie literally stuff his fatass in front of the net and block everything. Hockey is pretty boring unless it's the playoffs.
>>
It's a boring game. No athleticism or nothing. I dont care how hard they hit each other. They ain't shit unless skating. NFL players hit ten times harder running on they feet.

No jumping, dunking, etc.
>>
>>75872791
It is a boring game. The rosters are also pretty fucking huge and none of the players have any personality which makes it difficult to care sometimes.
>>
It's boring
>>
needs more diversity
>>
>>75872665
Because plebs can't deal with a non shit aport. NBA fans need to see the points go up constantly or their ADD kicks in, and NFL fans get uncomfortable if an advertisement isn't shoved in front of their face every 5 minutea.
>>
>>75872665
hockey is boring af to watch
>>
>>75872992
DELET THIS
>>
>>75872665
The NHL is a vert niche sport, which draws most of its support from Canada. In the US, nobody outside of the Northeast and the Great Lakes cares.
>>
none of what the posters above have said is true. the real reason is because anyone can pick up a basketball and go shoot hoops at the local park or pick up a football and toss it around with some buds. you can't do that with hockey because hockey equipment is very expensive and it's not free to go to ice hockey rinks, at least where i live. most Americans either played soccer, basketball, baseball, and/or football as a kid. if you were Canadian or lived in the Midwest or Northeast then you probably also played lacrosse or hockey, but hockey just wasn't as big as the other sports. it's a winter sport. you can't play it year long.
>>
File: 1484205471362.jpg (39KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484205471362.jpg
39KB, 480x480px
>>75872665

1) paywall to play -> this is a rich/upper middle class white kid sport

2) environmentally sensitive to play for free ->only people north of the mason dixon line have a chance of playing the game free on a frozen pond

3) lockouts -> hockey was the hottest shit around from 1980-1994, then we had a series of lockouts with whole/part seasons cancelled (3 times in 13 years); hockey never really recovered after the 2nd lockout, and by the 3rd it's fate was sealed

4) expansion -> when hockey was heating up in the late 80s early 90s, ownership and betman decided to rapidly expand the league, continuing through the end of the 90s. This badly diluted the talent pool, Prior to this rapid expansion even 4th line players were good for 20 goals in the nhl. With the influx of untalented players swamping the league, in order to prevent the "skilled" players from dropping 10 point nights constantly due to all that poor talent, the league rapidly switched from offense to defense focus play, perfected shortly by the Devils and quickly aped by the rest of the league. Enter the "dead puck era" and goodbye interest in the league, killing interest in the sport pretty quickly.

5) Metrics == ugly hockey. We're in the advanced metrics era of hockey now, and frankly it's a fucking ugly sport to watch now.

6) Patrick Roy -> The butterfly goaltender has turned defending the net into a fucking martial art. NHL goaltenders are all fucking blackbelts in "butterfly", had Dominique Hasek been born in french canada and played for the canadians, perhaps we'd be spared this cookie cutter martial art. We'll never know, now we can just hope the league figures out how to nerf the Roy clones.

7) bad TV coverage -> this is mostly due to the fact the sport isn't that interesting right now, its simply impossible to get the game on tv. If I want to watch a hockey game I have to pirate, because it's not shown locally.

I have more but these are the big ones.
>>
I can't see the puck

Fucking put lights on it
>>
nba fans are confused by the close games nhl has in playoffs
>>
>>75874562
(cont)

I grew up playing hockey, I WAS a diehard Buffalo Sabres fan. I would tailgate before games, wait in lines overnight for playoff tickets, never missed a game.

Sometime around their last lockout I stopped watching hockey religiously. I mean I used to fucking buy the NHL center ice package just so I never missed a sabres game out here in arizona. But after the last lockout, I stopped buying the center ice package. I recently have been trying to get back into it, but "advanced metrics" hockey is fucking horrible to watch. Connor McDavid has been fun to watch from time to time, in ways Crosby never was, sometimes we get an exciting game, but teams like the those bruins and kings teams that won the cut are the no1 example for what's wrong with "metrics". Boring fucking hockey. And the whole league plays like that now. Even the good teams.

Personally I think the "dead puck" era was much more interesting to watch then this "advanced metrics" era. All the soul has been sucked out of the sport.
>>
>>75874562
>>75874697
>diehard Sabres fan
>spelling it "Dominique"
I don't care that the thread is dead.
>>
>>75872786
>>75872791
>>75872923
>>75872992
PLEASE go back to nig ball. You aren't wanted.
>>
File: nomizi.jpg (108KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
nomizi.jpg
108KB, 640x640px
>>75874562
>Metrics == ugly hockey.
>>
>>75882206
>Metrics

ok, I'll explain

Metrics put the emphasis on "puck possession" for the offensive end, and what basically boils down to "ice possession" on the defensive end.

The goal being to hold the puck longer if you want to score, and to clear rebounds and clog passing lanes on the defensive zone. Look at the kings during their 2 cup runs, for a 4 year period of time (including their 2 cups) they were the no.1 advanced metrics team in the league. They held the puck for long periods of time, and made it impossible for the puck to get in front of their own net.

And they won 1-0 games all day long, as the puck spent all game along the boards. That's what these "metrics" get you. lots of play along the boards, almost none in the middle of the ice. Few to none odd man rushes, little no no excitement. Sure, if you look at the stats it LOOKS like teams are getting shots on net, but those shots are often from the point or boards and not really ever in any danger of going in, because "advanced metrics" tells the defense to allow those shots all day long, clear the screening players and wait for the rebound (if there is one).

As a result hockey starts to take on a samey unimaginative blur. I survived the dead-puck era as a hockey fan, but metrics killed me.
>>
meme ass """"""sport""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
no niggers allowed
no casuals allowed
pretty based desu
>>
>>75872665
Well probably because one of those teams is in Canada and doesnt have NBCSN you utter retard.
>>
Niche sport for wealthy, affluent, white states. Most of the population lives in the poor and uneducated south and basketball is more popular there due to the majority of blacks
>>
File: Leopard_Gecko_40.jpg (75KB, 585x457px) Image search: [Google]
Leopard_Gecko_40.jpg
75KB, 585x457px
I am really curious what it's like in one of these poor states where people like the NBA because where I live it's NFL>NHL=MLB I rarely see anyone who cares about the NBA and the ones who do are either black or Asian
>>
File: MidoriyaWTF.jpg (200KB, 962x718px) Image search: [Google]
MidoriyaWTF.jpg
200KB, 962x718px
>>75874562
>5) Metrics == ugly hockey. We're in the advanced metrics era of hockey now, and frankly it's a fucking ugly sport to watch now.

Good post, but I'm lost on this point. What does this mean?
>>
>>75885790
>Good post, but I'm lost on this point. What does this mean?

check out the cup champ kings. that's fucking boring hockey >>75884335
>>
>>75884335
Lol maybe you should watch bandy, it has out of bounds line so the puck cant get stuck on boards
>>
>>75885625
There is not a single state in the US where the majority of the population is black. I think the closest is Louisiana with 25%.
>>
>>75872665
It's only slightly more interesting than soccer to watch and poor people can't play it so it excludes 95% of its potential fanbase.
>>
Hockey is a fucking great sport to watch and youre missing out if you don't give it a shot
>>
>>75872665
>Canadian ratings not included

EVERY TIME
>>
>>75872665
>NBCSN
>not counting canadian viewers who are probably half of the actual audience
there's your two issues
>>
File: bratctf.jpg (87KB, 713x486px) Image search: [Google]
bratctf.jpg
87KB, 713x486px
ESPN not airing hockey games, and relegating hockey to short highlights at the end of Sportscenter as a result, killed hockey in the USA. It is difficult to survive in America as a sport if you are not supported by ESPN's near monopoly.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.