[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anybody EVER enjoyed the away goal rule apart from the team

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 7

Has anybody EVER enjoyed the away goal rule apart from the team and fans that win because of it ? Surely professional sports stars should be able to perform away from home equally as well as at home if not then you are not psychologically solid as a player. It is a weakness. It has ended many great games too soon when we could have enjoyed great periods of extra time or penalties.

Would you support abolishing the away goal rule ?
>>
Unfamiliar ground, jet lag, climate differences and whatever problems arise from being sedentary for however long a flight may be.

But no I don't like it.
>>
Football pitches are different sizes and grass length and moisture also changes a lot.
>>
home advantage is a fact, the away goal rule makes sense and it's a good incentive.
>>
>>75822327
both teams play home and away you stupid fuck
>>
>>75822681
When did I claim they didn't ?
>>
>>75822327
I enjoy it when it screws over teams that I don't like
>>
Keep it, but if a 2 legged tie is level, go to ET, then if it's still level, away goals come into play.
>>
>>75822866

Lol, this.
>>
>>75822383
Jet lag will be minscule around Europe and travel time is a minor too flights are like 2 hours most places and some teams use coaches for national games with similar journey times.
>>
>>75822914
so team that plays at home first gets 90 mins home advantage, team that plays at home in the second game gets 120 mins home advantage.

Yeah, that sounds fair.
>>
>>75822914
>Not wanting to see penalties
Perfect solution is keeping the away rule but if it goes into ET then it shouldn't count anymore because the team that was away in the 1st leg is clearly at a disadvantage.
>>
>>75823305
>>75823310
home advantage is just a meme
>>
Each leg should have to go to extra time and penalties in the event of a draw. There should be no draws allowed in the knockout stages
>>
>>75823366
Your just a meme
>>
File: ENGLISH PRIDE.jpg (29KB, 964x643px) Image search: [Google]
ENGLISH PRIDE.jpg
29KB, 964x643px
>>75823425
all cup matches should be played at neutral grounds, then you eliminate this bullshit.

All of the grounds from teams in the draw are available. each tie you draw two teams plus a ground. If it's either team in that tie, you redraw. Everyone draws at a neutral ground, Noone gets home advantage. No need for 2 legs or gay rules about away goals.

Your welcome UEFA
>>
If you keep away goals, you should at least remove it for extra time.
>>
>>75823425
Field goals should be allowed in extra time forced by a draw score. If you get a free kick and ping it over the bar, that's 3 points and you win overtime, like in NFL
>>
>>75823889
so your solution is play one game instead of two, which means less games, and less money. yeah ok thats gonna happen
>>
>>75824067
so your solution is to play 18 games for every round, 9 home, 9 away, away goals count double because it would raise more money?
>>
>>75822327
>Surely professional sports stars should be able to perform away from home equally as well as at home
well demonstrably not
>>
>>75822327
>Would you support abolishing the away goal rule ?
Of course I wouldn't. It's what makes knock out games fun. Besides that it makes sense
>>
>>75824138
i think away goals rule is stupid, but thinking uefa will change to a new system where they lose money is even dumber than the away goal rule
>>
File: 1377893246382.gif (2MB, 500x290px) Image search: [Google]
1377893246382.gif
2MB, 500x290px
>>75824172
correlation does not = causation lad.

Even I know that.
>>
>>75823889
And have the stadiums half empty while you sit at home satisfied? Fuck off cunt the system is fine as it is.
>>
A goal should be a goal given that both teams play on even playing fields for the same amount of time.

There is no debate. 180+ minutes are played between both teams and both games should be seen as one long game.
>>
>>75822327
>professional sports stars
There's your problem. Sports are played by real men, not a bunch of dancing cuck fairy faggots.

There's simply no way you're not gay if you like much less play soccer
>>
>>75822327
i think you get a huge push when you have fans cheering for you all the time
still i dont really like the rule
>>
>play away
>have to travel for hours and stay away from home
>play in a pitch you're not as familiar as your own
>people boo you every time you touch the ball
>expected to have the same performance or you're "not psychologically solid"

It makes even more sense when you're against teams from other countries, have to fly in a plane and play in a different weather than when it's two teams from the same city, but it's natural to have advantage playing home.
>>
>>75824325
In addition...game should go immediately to pks so that one team may not get more home playing time than the other.

One could argue that PKs at home are also an advantage.
>>
File: Most successful.jpg (29KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Most successful.jpg
29KB, 460x276px
>>75824305
>Fuck off cunt

pretty uncalled tbqh
>>
>>75824271
i have no idea what that's supposed to mean in this context
>>
>>75824325
nah. tnx for your advice but we'll keep it this way
>>
>>75824182
>Penalty shoot outs aren't fun
>>
i mean maybe i'm missing one of the great nuances of football but isn't it stupid to coddle teams if their players can't adjust to road games

i mean it's not like 3 pointers count for 4 when you're on the road in the NBA
>>
>>75822562
this
>>
File: seriously.jpg (59KB, 550x340px) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
59KB, 550x340px
>>75823889
>Your welcome UEFA
>>
>>75824172
>it's another episode of sportspeople should be extrahuman because they're famous and well-moneyed 'n' shit
>>
>>75824452
both teams play each other home and away, so it's not really comparable to the nba

the rule is there to encourage the away team to attack when they're away from home rather than just parking the bus, which is traditionally how european games were always played
>>
>>75824371
Who gives a shit? The other team will be under the same conditions when they head to your stadium. So it evens out.

Unless you guys can find empirical data that proves that the away goal theory...you lack logic.

And if you don't understand it. I'm sorry. You have a small baby brain and you lack critical thinking skills.
>>
>>75824544
proves what theory? that teams perform better at home than away from home?
>>
>>75824393
>pretty uncalled
actually not at all
>>
>>75824452
Exactly this
>>
Away goals is fine so long as it's limited to only counting after 90 minutes in the second leg. Away goals after extra time is fucking retarded, and counting at both 90 and 120 minutes is extra retarded.
>>
>>75822327
both play home and away
away goal rules makes sure youre consistent over the 2 legs

good rule very good
>>
>>75824533
Then wouldn't the other team park the bus when they are away??? Thus equalizing the playing field???

Logically speaking it doesn't make sense.

Just admit this is some "for the fans" bullshit. It favors attacking teams over defending teams. Despite how many goals the attacking team gives up.
>>
File: 1467415955588.jpg (43KB, 357x615px) Image search: [Google]
1467415955588.jpg
43KB, 357x615px
>>75822327
>we could have enjoyed great periods of extra time or penalties
>penalties
Implying the coinflip that is penalties is more ejoyable
>>
>>75824446
I prefer a vivid game
>>
>>75824544
>The other team will be under the same conditions when they head to your stadium
Yeah thats the whole point. If I perform at your home better than you at mine, I win.
>>
>travel perhaps an hour or two extra than normal in unbelievable luxury to a city where everything is prepared to perfection for you, so you can play in a world class stadium with perfect pitch conditions

When you think about it the away goals rule isn't enough. How do they cope!?

The World Cup doesn't have away goals for every team that travels so why should any other competition?
>>
>>75824706
>Just admit this is some "for the fans" bullshit
yes, that's exactly what it is. who's claiming otherwise?

the rule is there to encourage attacking play; end of story.
>>
>>75824648
>after 90 minutes
So from 90 to 120?

>after extra time
During penalties?
>>
>>75822383
>Unfamiliar ground, jet lag, climate differences and whatever problems arise from being sedentary for however long a flight may be.
doesnt mater because both teams have to do it
>>
It should only be removed if the game goes into ET since the away team has a 30 min advantage of getting that away goal.

Otherwise i think its a good rule that motivates teams to attack if away in the first match and it negates some of the advantage of having the 2nd leg at your home ground knowing exactly how many goals you need to score to win.
>>
Why doesn't the away goals rules apply in shoot outs?
>>
>>75824821
because you only have one shootout genius
>>
>>75824821

The away team would almost always win. Most shootouts are decided by one.
>>
>>75824590
Lol I'm a data scientist at Palantir...and I can already see flaws in your logic.

No....the theory that a team that scores more on the road is better than a team that scores less on the road. Despite their defense.

For example...

Team A scores 10 away but gives up 10 because it's all attack and no defense.

Team B scores 1 and gives up 1 because they played more conservatively...yet they still managed to score.

Why is team A better than team B??

Using away goals is some for the fans bullshit. Because you faggots love 10 to 10. You're the reason the NFL, NBA, and every other professional league plays it up for points because OMG POINTS ARE EXCITING. You might as well make the ball glow in the dark and play at night. Cheerleaders. Get hype men out there.
>>
>>75824898
you're aware that sports are entertainment yes?
>>
>>75824737
>>75824737
>>75824737
Perform??? So perform involves you scoring more AND giving up more goals than me???

Wrong logic. Wouldn't expect anything less of someone south of the equator
>>
>>75824821
Are you suggesting the home team is favoured in the shootout? Or that since shootouts go ahead, home advantage doesn't matter? Penalty shootouts are unfair to the away team, for sure. But whatcha gon' do?
>>
If the game is tied at the end of both 90 minutes the ref should consult a monitor to see if any of the goals were due to incorrect officiating or cheating.

If it's still tied then it's cross bar challenge.
>>
>>75824953
They are a competition...

One could argue that this is exploitable too.

It might encourage the away team to attack more...

But it would also encourage the home team to play more conservatively.

If I keep you to 0-0 at home..

I automatically get a goal advantage if I score once away. I essentially get 2 for 1.
>>
>>75825035
they should make it so that the person representing your team in the crossbar challenge is a random supporter from the stand
>>
I love the away rule. Makes games far more interesting
>>
>>75824998
I completely agree...only way to combat that is to have a PK at the end of the first game no matter what...if it goes to PKs...total score between the two.

If it's still tied after that...flip a coin. I'm not kidding..that's the most fair thing I fan think of.
>>
>>75825087
>tfw it's the Sunderland kid with terminal cancer vs Robbie Keane
>>
>>75824898
Both teams still have to endure the away goals rule though. Given the rule, one team did better. It's only unfair after 90 minutes of the second leg.
>>
>>75824898
>I'm a data scientist at Palantir

didnt stop you from making an unbelievably stupid point though
>>
>>75824972
Its harder to score goals than to defend.
>>
>>75825043
it's a competition that exists to entertain fans

you're right; home teams do play more conservatively than they otherwise do, and the away goal rule has the additional quirk that a lot more goals are scored in the second leg than the first, so it's beneficial to play at home in the first leg.

but there's no perfect solution of tiebreakers in the two-leg match and the away goal rule essentially works from a competitive and entertainment standpoint (apart from the extra time in the second leg that some other anons have alluded to; that is bullshit)
>>
>>75825159
Again..wrong. one team did not do better by scoring and giving up more goals.
>>
>>75825185
Theoretically. No it isnt. Teams just play more defensive.

A 4 4 2 could be a 2 2 6 and score more.
>>
I would keep the away rule but remove the extra time.
>>
>>75825172
Prove me wrong then. I have a degree in creating test cases...and I can tell you...without a doubt in my mind...

That this rule favors teams with better attackers. Than defenders by giving them a goal advantage.
>>
>>75825349
The away game tests scoring goals and the home game tests not conceding goals. Both teams have to go though this and the team which concedes less at home and scores more away does better.
>>
>>75825467
That's literally the point of the rule though.

75 posts in and you're still not getting it.
>>
>>75825501
So you're ok with it creating an uneven playing field???
>>
the away team has literally no incentive to play attacking football otherwise
>>
>>75825480
>>75825480
>>75825480
Is what I said before wrong? This Palintir motherfucker is getting inside my head, homeses.
>>
>>75825480
It's an arbitrary rule. Why not use "who had more fans in the stands?"

And don't respond with "that's not fair for smaller clubs/smaller stadium's"...because who gives a shit about creating a fair playing field amirite?
>>
>>75825614
How do you mean uneven? Because it rewards attacking play more than defensive play?

Yes, I'm fine with that.
>>
>>75825622
Sure they do. They want to win...so they should play their most effective combination of offense and defense.
>>
>>75825683
Is scoring a goal any less arbitrary? Why not use possession or dribbles stats? All sports' rules seem arbitrary. But since every team has to suffer them, they're fair.
>>
>>75825467
The rule is to prevent Bus Parking after the first game.
>>
Think of it in terms of some fifa shit.

You got two teams with a 90 rating. One has better defnses the other has better attackers. But they even out to a 90 rating.

The team with the better attackers wins more often than the team with the defenders..

A 50/50 split would be appropriate.

Thus...the playing field is uneven.
>>
>>75822383
Bunch of fucking spooks that amount to nothing. Give me a real reason
>>
>away goal in extra time

I can't remember who beat Arsenal like this when I was in primary school but o my fucking god did I rage
>>
inter vs AC millan

>technically both "home ties"
>>
>>75825736
Goals are how they measure the game.

Goals away rule is a measure of WHEN those goals we're scored. Which is the arbitrary bullshit.
>>
>>75822327
It doesn't make any sense in real life, it's just a thing that theoretically kinda makes sense but in reality it's fucked up.
>>
>>75826018
>technically

no technically they aren't both home ties, they just are both home ties
>>
>>75824761
which is why you have away goals rule. If one team has managed to score away ad the other hasnt then the away scoring team is better and should pass
>>
>>75825614
If the field is uneven in the favour of more attacking teams, maybe the defensive teams should play more attacking football

Were you against the change of wins from 2 points to 1 as well you boring cunt
>>
>>75822327
No I like that rule. Unfortunately FIFA is ruled by retards nowadays... so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new rule that teams that score away are punished.
>>
>>75822327
just google statistics of games won by home team and games won by away team
at any league, over longer term, at least few years
somehow it is much harder to score/win when not home
>>
>>75822327
Players are humans, you know.
>>
>>75822327
Would have expected a stupid burger to make such a stupid question but I guess brits are almots as stupid as them.
>>
MUH MUH MUH MULTIBAAAAALL
>>
>>75825405
Stupid burger, everyone knows goals are never the result of good attacking but always of a defensive mistake.
>>
>>75823366
It clearly isn't, since the home team usually wins.
>>
>>75824898
>Why is team A better than team B??
Because they managed to score more goals away than team B?

How fucking dumb are you?
>>
>>75825405
it is , confirmed for never playing football in your life
>>
>>75826998
that doesn't make him dumb. away goals aren't universally accepted as a measure of relative quality. they are used purely to incentivize behavior, not measure success.

you should apologize for being dumb yourself.
>>
>>75824544
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4120454/

>Our findings suggest that match location, match status, and quality of opposition have independent and interactive effects on the defensive performance of club teams competing in the UEFA Champions League.

well that was easy
>>
>>75825133
Severely underrated post
>>
>>75827053
Are you stupid?

Facts prove it's harder to score away, have you ever seen a Football match? Have you ever seeen what the crowd does?

It's not like a fucking Burger sport where people just go to the stadium to eat a hotdog and clap.
>>
its good but when 2nd match goes into overtime goals should count normally
>>
>>75824271
How much they pay that guy to take a try violently in the face like that?
>>
>>75827126
i'm not stupid, you should stop accusing people of that. And not all crowds are the same, so that metric can't resonably be applied to all matches the same way. Moreover, good professionals shouldn't be swayed by noise. Muh passion falls apart when someone isn't a fairy, because at CL level clubs, there's no real threat to the millionaire mercenaries on the pitch. Unlike american football, where crowd noise literally hinders the players' abilities to communicate necessary things before the snap. You seem weirdly uninformed on that, considering you had an opinion.

Again, please apologize or leave the thread.
>>
>>75827236
>not all crowds are the same
Not those that don't deserve to watch a CL game, yes.
>good professionals shouldn't be swayed by noise
Kek. Pro or not, everyone is human.

*claps*

Kill yourself.
>>
>>75827236
>ood professionals shouldn't be swayed by noise.

well they fucking do , because they are human , I already provided an empiric fucking study that proves playing away makes players play worse.

>>75827078 here

now stop being a salty cunt and enjoy madrid winning the champions league
>>
>>75827317
but not everyone is swayed by crowds. Teams have gone into hostile environments, retained composure and outplayed similarly talented opponents tons of times.

It's an incentive thing. Nothing more.
>>
The rule is pointless because it assumes all external factors that affect a team can be satisfied with adding more weight to a goal. Unless you can objectively prove this, I disagree.

Replace weighted goals with cumulative ones. That ensures a losing side will have to score more goals than the opposition. If it's a cumulative tie, the first team to score the most goals will win. Let's say the first leg is 0-0 and the away leg is 4-4. It wouldn't matter if the opposition away scored four goals IF the home team scored four goals faster; and vice versa. So now you have the following incentives: score goals (given), score the most goals, and score the most goals in the least amount of time.

To avoid 0-0 both legs and penalties in one stadium, each leg gets 15 minutes of OT added on top of ET given by the ref.
>>
You're all crying over nothing how often does the rule come into play? like once in a few years and yet you are here every week trying to make sense about a game you don't care about.
>>
I would abolish it.

I enjoy all aspects of football and don't see any reason to reward teams that score well away from home over teams that defend well away from home. There are many ways to win a football match and a lot of balance in between ultra defence and all out attack and the away goal rule skews everything to the latter, robbing us of some of the joys of the game.

Every two-legged affair will run it's course through various phases whereby attack will become an emphasis regardless of the away goal rule anyway.
>>
File: will.png (315KB, 393x468px) Image search: [Google]
will.png
315KB, 393x468px
>>75827649
>OP has British flag
>dum americunz!
>>
>>75827373
> If it's a cumulative tie, the first team to score the most goals will win.
Then you still have the homefield advantage thing tho where the home team wins 4-0 the first leg and then the other 0-4 the second
>>
>>75822681
>>75824761
kys right now pls
>>
i would abolish it and instead implement a golden away goal rule where if you score during the away match you automatically qualify for the next round
>>
>>75822327
Maybe, but I would totally suport abolishing away goals after 180 min of football. Its not right for one team to have advantage or disadvantage of away goal in extra time.
>>
>>75824761
Are you implying only one team gets the away goal rule? Kill yourself
>>
>>75826951
>everyone knows goals are never the result of good attacking but always of a defensive mistake
So there aren't any brilliant offensive plays? Fuck you
>>
>>75827851
That's fine. The point is that opposing teams don't have the excuse not to equalize the count in their own stadiums. The cumulative system values goals first, time second. The only thing teams can complain about at most is horrible reffing
>>
>>75828737
I said goals.
What I said is the basic lesson of Football every new trainer is taught. If you don't make a mistake, you won't concede a goal.

Obviously defending against Messi and Ronaldo is much harder than against your average player because they will punish every single mistake you make.
>>
>>75828806
my least favorite thing about the away goal rule is that teams can draw twice and one team can still advance (e.g., 0-0, 1-1). i understand any tiebreaker is always going to be imperfect, unless you do something unprecedented (and stupid) like use a neutral stadium for a third match or something, but that's my biggest gripe. home-field advantage definitely exists, but i don't think it's enormous. if two teams draw against each other twice, i would have to question the away goal rule system's effectiveness
>>
>>75822327
I keep saying every single day that the away goals rule is absolutely retarded and doesn't belong in football past the 80s but people ignore it and only complain about it when their team gets eliminated from it. You fags all deserve to suffer from it, now I hope you actually see the point and continue to advocate against the abomination that is the Away Goals.
>>
>>75825102
The opposite. Away goals kill all the tension of a game when one single goal can force the other team to need 3 goals. 90% of the time they give up and everyone is left with a boring ass game where everyone is just browsing their phones waiting for it to end.
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.