[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the only time in North American sports history that one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: tipoff_finals.jpg (341KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
tipoff_finals.jpg
341KB, 600x400px
Is this the only time in North American sports history that one superstar carried his team to a championship? The second best player on the 1994 Rockets by PER was LITERALLY Otis Thorpe.
>>
Lawrence Taylor 1986 giants
>>
Tim Duncan in 2003 carried the Spurs to a championship. David Robinson was 37 and missed 18 games. The other regulars were Tony Parker and Malik Rose.

Without Duncan, they likely end up an 8th seed at best.
>>
>>75144336
The only argument I could see against that is the fact that Phil Simms set a (still standing iirc) record for Passer Rating in the '87 Bowl. LT might have carried them to the playoffs, but Simms helped them through the playoffs. Again, LT was easily the best player on the team, it cannot be denied
>>
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, with the 1970-71 Bucks, was the most dominant player ever to win it all, both in the regular season and playoffs. He was 23 at the time.
>>
>>75144436
Didn't he have Big O? Not saying Kareem didn't contribute but Oscar had to have played a part in it.
>>
>>75144436
He had Oscar Robertson and Bob Dandridge though

>>75144299
Detroit in 04 had no superstars but all were all key players were all-star worthy
>>
>>75144299
AI carried the 76ers to the championship in 01, and even took a game away from the otherwise undefeated Lakers
>>
>>75144299
there are many examples from the early years of baseball -- especially in the 1880s -- where a team mainly used one pitcher all season and he was often the best or second-best batter on the team as well.
>>
>>75144501
I meant players who won the championship. My bad, should have made it clearer in the OP
>>
Babe Ruth, 1923 Yanks. This was before Gehrig. Look at the WAR for that team:

RF Ruth - 14.1
SP Pennock - 5.8
SP Bush - 4.8
2B Ward - 4.4

It wasn't even Ruth's greatest season ... probably 1921 was ... but he carried that team through the WS.
>>
>>75144590
Dear lord.

But I'm hard pressed to argue against OP here, there are some familiar names but nobody was putting up the numbers like Hakeem was. I think that championship was a combo of the Knicks blowing it and Hakeem just being an absolute monster.
>>
1986 Patrick Roy should be considered. Compared to teams like Edmonton and NYI the Habs had no firepower and a rookie goalie carried them. They didn't have a single player above a point per game in the playoffs despite the high scoring era (Gretzky had 215 points that year)
>>
>carried his team to a championship

LBJ, 2006
>>
LeBron James in 2016.
>>
>>75144299
Nah dog, it was Robert Horry, the legend.
>>
>>75146614
kyrie won it
>>
>>75146650
You should watch more sports other than Undisputed on Fox with Skheup and Sharon.
>>
>>75144486
>no superstar scorer but they had one of the scariest defensive units of the past 20 years. Look at that lineup and it was players playing fundamental basketball to a T.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.