[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many dorky but highly intelligent guys fall for ineffective

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 3

File: fe1b716818f6a39e1ffc268e9b2bcba4.jpg (144KB, 2102x1500px) Image search: [Google]
fe1b716818f6a39e1ffc268e9b2bcba4.jpg
144KB, 2102x1500px
Why do so many dorky but highly intelligent guys fall for ineffective meme martial arts while while people with average or low intelligence usually go for things that actually work?
>>
What actually works? Because boxing is a huge fucking meme for self-defence
>>
Intelligent people don't want to get concussed is my guess.
>>
Mainly because people who are to intelligent too fight join meme martial arts like Aikido as a way to learn a culture or make up for their lack of masculinity.

Average or low intelligent people most of the time grow up in shit neighbourhoods where you actually need to learn how to fight to take care of yourself.

Which is alot of great boxers and Thai fighters in Muay Thai come from poor backgrounds while 13 year old """""""Karate"""""""" black belts who get dropped off by mommy and daddy are usually rich.
>>
>>75069859
I think that against bums in the streets anything that isn't Aikido or Wing Chun will work: Boxing, Muay thai, BJJ

even Wrestling and Judo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMku36qxjE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3SktSgFRPI
>>
>>75069929
Punching is not very smart in a streetfight as you can break your hand or hurt yourself in the process.Using your elbows and throwing the other dude to the floor should be the priority
t.lived in a gypsie hood
>>
>>75069859
>boxing is meme for self defense
probably the best stand up for real application
>>
>>75069907
>who get dropped off by mommy and daddy are usually rich
having parents doesn't make you rich singapore, it just means you're lower working class and were raised in a place where people actually care.
>>
>>75070116
>probably the best stand up for real application
Not really.Specially the average amateur boxer.I seriously think that an average Jiu jitsu black belt would BTFO a proffesional boxer.Punching hurts a lot and boxing relies a lot the height and weight of your opponent and yours which is never relieable
>>
>>75069859
Boxing will decimate anyone apart from trained wrestlers. In typical fights on the street or in bars boxing is the most destructive by far
>>
Probably because the truly intelligent people don't learn to fight because they're intelligent enough to intuitively know that the best way to not lose a fight is to not get in one in the first place. So the rest is just them training and having fun while at peace of mind knowing they aren't going to need to use it.
>>
>>75070178
>In typical fights on the street or in bars boxing is the most destructive by far
Because you are fighting against scrubs and it can be as destructive to him as it is to you if you are unlucky.Never pick up boxing for self-defence specially if you aren't tall or heavy
>>
>>75070062
That's retarded, I've witnessed dozens of street fights and taken part in a few and they were almost exclusively punching with a bit of clinching, maybe a few kicks when someone goes down
>>
>>75070202
The best striking art is Muay Thai,followed closely by real Karate like Kyokushin or Goju Ryu
>>
>>75070178
>self-defence is about being destructive
found the retard
>>
>>75070204
>I have fight against people that don't know how to fight therefore boxing is effective
Just stop.If you aren't big boxing is jackshit and can fuck up your knuckles or your wrist
>>
>>75070219
Of course it is

If someone starts a fight with me I want to cause them as much harm as possible
>>
>>75070262
>I have fight against people that don't know how to fight

Which is 99.9% of fights

>can fuck up your knuckles or your wrist

Maybe if you punch like a homo
>>
>>75070266
That's not defending yourself then, that's waiting for someone to pick a fight so that you can fight without reserve.
>>
>>75070266
Good luck being ""destrucive"" against a 6'2" guy with your butterfly strikes and your broken knucles retard.
>>75070287
>Maybe if you punch like a homo
Why the fuck do you think that boxers wear gloves moron? Or are you going to tell me that you punch better than proffessional fighters?
>>
By the way,boxing is an essential skill for professional MMA but they get fucked up in style vs style like vid related

https://youtu.be/jNB5cqdmIUQ
>>
>>75070302
>Why the fuck do you think that boxers wear gloves moron?
That's actually to increase the weight of their blows.
>>
>>75070302
Because they're fighting other professionals who know how to use the harder part of their heads to damage their opponents' hands.

Your average drunk asshole isn't going to know that he should be headbutting your fists with his forehead.
>>
Because the smart people are just working out for their health. It's likely you'll never get into a fight in your entire life. Like the only time I did was in grade school because some hothead during recess and peer pressure so when I learned to fight later on, I never actually had to ever again. If you're smart, you won't be near those people for just about all your life anyways and will just walk away instead of going to jail or getting fired from your job.
>>
>>75070171
you must be retarded if you think you are going to turn most streetfights into a bjj game, you'll get your head kicked and stomped by the friends of your rival
>boxed ~15 years
>bjj blue under robin gracie when I stopped bjj after robin changed location
>doorman for 7 years

unless you are 1 on 1 in an empty street at night or have a crew backing you up, forget about going to the ground and be careful throwing kicks in case you fall or get tripped down. Also, good luck not getting bitten, eye gouged, face hooked, scratched, etc while grappling in the street
>>
>>75070293
Being reserved when someone is trying to fuck you up is retarded. The quicker you knock them out or make them quit, the safer it is for you
>>
>>75070302
Luckily I am 6'2 myself because I'm not a manlet spic lmao

Seriously I've never known anyone to break their knuckles in a street fight. They might get a bit sore at worst
>>
>>75069608
>OP asks a retarded question
>anons point the retardedness
>OP abandons thread
>>
>>75070349
>being reserved
Right so you really don't understand that self-defense is about proactively trying to end the fight as soon as possible, not about causing harm. Your teachers must have been retarded as well, good to know.
>>
>>75070367
Mike Tyson broke his fists in a street fight. Google it.
>>
>>75070367
I've seen it. The funniest one is my friend punching his Lil bro and breaking something in his hand. We never let it go.
>>
>>75070416
Should also mention he punched him in the nose, but nose was fine. His hand, not so much.
>>
>>75069859
Yea you've never got into a fight with a boxer have you? Most trained boxers will throw two punches so quick and powerfully, by the time you dodge the first one you've got a black eye.
>t. Ass kicked by boxer who I thought was a pussy
>>
theres people posting on this board that haven't been training krav maga for at least 5 years

lmao fucking plebs
>>
The best martial art for self defence is having 6 bros to jump on the guy and kick him in the head
>>
>>75070302
Have you ever even seen a trained boxers hands lad? They know how to fuck you up with minimal recoil.
>>
>>75070436
Wait....is Krav Maga a meme? Say it ain't so, I've been doing that shit for like 3 years now in order to take on my office bully....
>>
>>75070459
>t. Nigger>>75070479
>>
>>75070480
>most efficient technique for self defence
>special services are taught it mandatory
>a meme

no lad
>>
>>75070334
Early martial arts was actually developed by monks exclusively for health. It wasn't until hundreds of years later they realized that shit can be used to hurt people.
>>
>>75070334
>its likely you'll never get in a fight

where the fuck do you live? fighting is pretty normal in the UK
>>
>>75070533
Oh good, I was concerned that poster was joking
>>
>>75070554
Pikey
>>
>>75070367
>Seriously I've never known anyone to break their knuckles in a street fight.
Happens all the time. There's literally a break around the pinky called a "boxer's fracture". Boxers aren't really concerned with making a proper fist when punching because of wearing gloves. Most people assume the gloves are for lightening blows to the opponent, but they don't. They only soften damage to the hand.
>>
>>75070584
t. posh london nonce
>>
>>75070591
There are plenty of drunk cunts and chavs in London too mate

Seriously if you go out drinking at all then it's inevitable that you'll get into a fight occasionally. Fighting is normal for blokes, I don't understand all the hand wringing
>>
>>75070591
London is the centre of poverty and crime
>>
>>75070554
>fighting is pretty normal in the UK
limeys confirmed for detroit-tier backwards
>>
>>75070694
its alright mate, you wouldnt understand our culture due to your lack of testosterone
>>
>>75069859
Youre an idiot
>>
>>75070062
Lol. Youve never witnessed a fight in your life you soft ass faggot
>>75070262
Please stop posting
>>
>>75070302
Boxing gloves arnt pillows
>>
>>75070763
Wow you even use nigger logic too, you really are detroit-tier.
>>
File: saxons.jpg (192KB, 750x538px) Image search: [Google]
saxons.jpg
192KB, 750x538px
>>75070763
>>
>>75070860
Exactly, they're designed to protect your hand, not the other person's head.
>>
>>75070763
Living in abject poverty isnt manly
>>
>>75071003
>saxony is in germany
>>
>>75071091
It's from the movie King Arthur. They're actually Anglo-Saxons.
The dude with the axe is supposed to be Cerdic of Wessex

>Cerdic is cited in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as a leader of the Anglo-Saxon settlement of Britain, being the founder and first king of Saxon Wessex, reigning from 519 to 534. Subsequent kings of Wessex all had some level of descent claimed in the Chronicle from Cerdic. (See House of Wessex family tree)
>>
>>75071081
how do you get to the conclusion that fighting = poverty? jesus its true american ''''''men'''''' really are estrogen fueled homosexuals
>>
>>75071122
Where you going with this
>>
>>75071126
So you lack any reading comprehension too huh? Starting to think detroit might be better off here.
>>
>>75071122
>the people who conquered england are manly
>so england is manly
Yeah sorry I don't see how you made that jump.
>>
>>75070321
>one shitty video is proof

That boxer was a fuckin idiot.
>>
>>75071136
Nowhere. This manly talk just reminded me of the tough dudes from the movie.
>>
>>75071044
It's a bit of both - gloves reduce the impact on hands and reduce the more obvious injuries of boxing at the expense of increased brain trauma.
>>
>>75071160
What should he have done? If he gets in close,he gets knee'd to death
>>
>>75070321
Ignashov was in his prime and Williams was a nobody even in boxing. Why don't you post how Frans Both beat Aerts and Le Banner in K-1.
>>
>>75070321
>>75071175
that nigger has terrible movement btw, some of the 14 year old pikeys at my gym would have him out in round 2
>>
No such thing as self defense

I'll shoot you and you ain't doin anything
>>
FACT: If your nation celebrates fighting as a culture or as a top-tier sport, it's a poor shithole.
>>
>>75071226
Isn't your nation known for its wrestling? Brazil is a shithole but MMA and BJJ are fringe sports.
>>
>>75071226
a poor shithole that won 2 consecutive world wars, if we werent fighters we wouldnt have survived the past 1000 years without invasion lad
>>
>>75071245
>MMA and BJJ are fringe sports.
that's actually surprising to hear consider your country's success.
>>
>>75071218
Self-defense is to be used against someone trying to fight you. When guns are being used it's no longer a fight, it's just violence, with someone ending up dead or just hospitalized. Anyone trying to think they can karate their way out of a situation with a gun isn't bad at karate, they're just plain stupid. And maybe bad at life too.
>>
>>75071218
shoot me? heh, nice try kid

you see, 2 years ago that may have been a slight possibility but not now that im fully trained in dark magic

*ascends and teleports behind you*

nothing personnel kid
>>
>>75071245
>fringe sports
Exactly my point, it's not top-tier. More like nascar, tennis, golf, or horse racing tier here. Meanwhile in places like Mexico, the whole country spazzes out like headless chickens whenever a big fight happens.
>>
>>75071248
>a poor shithole that had their asses bailed out of 2 consecutive world wars after being on the verge of losing both times after we repeatedly insisted we didn't want to get involved with your bullshit
fixed that for you

if only you were good enough to win, american hegemony would've never happened. you kept forcing us to take matters into our own hands, and now we're the world police. you asked for this.
>>
>>75071306
>americans get involved at the easiest end of the war
>feel like they deserve any credit

w e w
>>
>>75071319
It was the easiest because we made it easy dumbass, that's what winning your fights for you because you can't win them yourselves fucking means.
>>
>>75069859
Grappling that isn't magic flip shit like Aikido or Taijutsu.. General striking is good, but in a lot of cases one or both of you are gonna go to the ground mid fight, and then you'll want to be able to grapple. Plus punching can break your hand.

Things with actual competitions are your best bet :Judo/BBJ, Wrestling, Sambo, various kick boxing.
>>
>>75071355
Why have the Koreans overtaken Japan in Judo?
>>
just buy gun

fighting is for manchildren
>>
>>75071348
look up the creation of the SAS and their ww2 operations

they played the biggest part in our victory
>>
I honestly can't think of any reason why any martial art at all is worth learning for fighting, any reason you'd need it is done better by something else.

>kill a dude
get a gun
>fuck a guy up real bad
get a bunch of buddies and stomp him out
>don't lose in fights
don't get in fights

the only thing left I can think of is so you can do it as a sport but then that's still not for fighting it's for doing sports with. also if you go that route I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to get in fights anymore anyways.
>>
>>75071377
Last Olympics, Japan won 12 Medals (2 Gold, 1 Silver and 4 Bronze for the Men, 1 Gold and 4 Bronze for the Women) while Korea won 3 (1 Silver, 1 Bronze for the Men and 1 Silver for the Women)
>>
>>75070160
Singapore is really fucking rich for the most part.
>>
>>75072770
Can't chew gum in the streets though
>>
Aikido let me have more stamina during prolonged fights, it has saved me a fucking lot, although I don't follow that school of thinking that much and I try to damage
>>
>>75070062
>Punching is not very smart in a streetfight

Jesus Christ Spain. No wonder your economy collapsed.
>>
>>75073074
but he's right desu, in street fights people usually expect more puches than low kicks, and low kicks thus dropping the enemy to the floor makes you win instantly
>>
>>75071126
Basic statistical correlation. There are a lot more fights in mcdonalds parking lot than at my country club
>>
>>75069608
I think intelligent people are more likely to buy into the idea that some ancient, detailed martial art can help them overcome physical weakness. Meanwhile the rest of us know that any random kid from a lower-class boxing gym would wipe the floor with karate nerds.
>>
>>75070160
Doing karate as a child is like walking around with a giant sign saying "I live in a gated community".
>>
>>75071126
Rich guys are usually not the ones getting into fistfights outside of bars. They've just got less to be angry about.
>>
>>75069608
Marketing and Hollywood.

Bruce Lee, and his stupid fucking movies, single handedly launched the Asian "martial arts" scourge in the west because it looked cool, and idiots thought it was real. After that, karate and kung-fu shit tier "schools" opened up all over the place, and they became popular because, unlike boxing, you don't have to get hit to "learn" their bullshit.
>>
>>75069859
>Because boxing is a huge fucking meme for self-defence

No, it's not.

Western boxing develops hand speed, power, timing, and distance management better than any other stand up "martial" art.

Best arts: Western boxing, Muay Thai, kickboxing, Western wrestling, BJJ, Judo.
>>
>>75070367
>I've never known anyone to break their knuckles in a street fight.

Happens all the time because:

1. Most dudes do NOT know how to punch, or target, and they use shitty form resulting in a fracture when they hit some dude in the forehead, side of the head /whatever.
2. They don't pull their punches and try to hit as hard as they possibly can, or the same way they do when they're wearing wraps.

You don't hit a heavy bag without wraps using the same force you would with wraps, and that applies to everything else you hit without wraps as well, including somebodies jaw.

Tyson has been in multiple street fights, and he's broken his damn hand pretty much every time, because he never pulled his punches and hit as hard as he does with wraps.
>>
>>75069859
You must be that retarded spanish sperg from heem. Kill yourself you dumb casual
>>
>>75071262
Yeah. Brazil is more about Soccer, volleyball and judo...
We had 3 f1 legends too.
in Brazilian newspaper sites we always see comments saying that MMA is uncivilized.
>>
>>75071126
NO, no, no, don't listen to those beta faggots.

You've got to remember that /reddit/tumblr/instagram/ has been stalking the shit out of 4chan since the election, and that snowflake is probably one of them.
>>
>>75071226
Fuck off back to /reddit/, you beta male faggot.
>>
if you're boxing in a hallway your hand and the wall has a better chance of getting hurt before you or the other person does.
>>
>>75070533
The thing with Krav Maga is...you can't, really. About 65% of it is stuff that you can't really drill or use in sparring, because it's "too deadly" or you'd maim your partner. So you end up either drilling something that isn't the "real" technique (which is bad) or you end up doing slow-motion roleplaying of what you WOULD do, which is worse. And it's always the most insane theorycraft shit - "Oh yeah, I'd just grab his arm, and then I'd spin round and slap his balls with an open palm, and then I'd twist his elbow so he's poking his own eye".The remaining 35% is real crude, sloppy kickboxing and grappling, which is alright but tends to be downplayed because SURPRISE, those things take conditioning and a willing to take a bit of an assbeating. So you end up doing half-hearted sparring of a half-hearted version of a superior martial art, against someone who doesn't really want to be there. Now that's fine for giving you something to do of an evening - I have a P2 in Krav Maga, and it was great fun and I met some cool people - but it's totally fucking useless for any kind of "real life" application. As soon as a mugger jumps out and goes "Woogie Boogie", your mind is going to go blank and your instincts aren't going to default to your crazy Jew Jutsu, because it's not drilled and it's not sparred. The reason "real" martial arts focus so much on relentless drilling and sparring is so you can make it automatic, and you get the feel for it. I've been jumped On Da StReEtS before, and it turns out if you punch me in the face my automatic response is to dive in with a harai goshi - despite doing a ton of Krav Maga, it's not to bust out a pen and go Bourne on some suckaz.
>>
>>75075190
Because it's not drilled and it's not part of my body's lexicon of What To Do When Mr. Brain Goes Quiet. Now even if there WAS some way to drill a bunch of ball punching and eye gouging 100%...you've also got the culture of Krav itself, which has a bunch of charlatans who've done a 2 week course and are now QUALIFIED INSTRUCTORS IN THE MYSTICAL ISRAELI ARTS OF KILLING YOU training a bunch of fat mall cops, fat housewives, nerds who're bitter about being mugged and bouncers who want to hurt people. Sure, if you learn it from a guy in the Israeli army it might be good, but I suspect the REAL bonus of Israeli military training is that you're young, fit, have been conditioned to kill and can run away and call in an airstrike if you get your ass whipped.
So yeah, many words on why Krav Maga ain't no good.
>>
>>75075190
Yes, I just posted copypasta. Why, you ask? I found it and loved the way the guy speaks, so now I post on every opportunity this board gives me. Thank you.
>>
>fighting with your fists
>not walking around with your cutlass or mother
>>
>>75069608
But aiki jiujitsu is the best martial art ever, aikido is what's not so effective
>>
File: 1451628058196.webm (3MB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
1451628058196.webm
3MB, 360x640px
>>
When did Karate get watered down to what it is today?
>>
>>75075318
>not knowing how to breakfall

Sucked to be him.
>>
how the fuck did bruce lee become so big ? he has never fought in his whole career
>>
>>75075425
The internet didn't exist back then, so it was harder to call people out on their bullshit.
>>
>>75071392
>brit help brit win in thier own fight

Wow, dude
>>
>>75075425
Based on your typing I'm going to assume you're severely underage. He was a big movie star and pioneered martial arts movies as a major draw in Western markets.
>>
>>75069608
Partially because some people want to study and practice a multifaceted martial art instead of learn how to fight.
>>
>>75071226
>If your nation celebrates fighting as a culture or as a top-tier sport, it's a poor shithole.
That's rich coming from the country where the NFL is the #1 sport
>>
>>75075318
Spic learned the hard way that in closed spaces boxing is impractical.
>>
>>75070326
Yeah I like that Gladiator movie too
>>
>>75071355
>one or both of you
Or all 3-5, right?

Grappling is nice (actually essential) but if it's the main focus of your self-defense practice then you are in deep trouble if the one bad guy in the world who has a problem with you happens to have merely one of his friends nearby at the time. That's where the conflict prevention, self-awareness and environmental awareness, and personality improvement that are trained in a majority of TMA classes comes in handier than any grappling. Because you can tie up 2 legs and 2 arms with your own, but not 4 legs and 4 arms. Better to use your 2 legs to get your ass out of there.
>>
>>75073836
You don't actually know very much about this stuff. Japanese martial arts were common and popular in the US way before Bruce Lee.
>>
>>75069608
Literally had a kid like this in my school nerd thought he was tough shit, got his head punched in by a second year, with blind flying working class fist rage.
>>
>>75070062
You've never had a fight, you've been hit yes, never actually had a fight though.
>>
>>75072913

I'll defend most superior japanese fighting techniques, but aikido is pure meme.
>>
All these clips of guys getting slammed looked like they died
>>
>>75071175

footwork and balance is everything in boxing. he should be nearly impossible to kick
>>
>>75069608
Everybody knows thay yhe best martial art is Ninjutsu. Just disappear on a cloud of smoke and not have to fight, bruh.
>>
>>75076508
>Japanese martial arts were common and popular in the US way before Bruce Lee.

No, they weren't.

Most of the people that had exposure to Asian martial arts were ex-servicemen, and they were a very small percentage of the population. Western boxing was the most popular form of combatives, followed by wrestling.

It wasn't until the Kung-fu movies started to become popular that the Asian "martial" arts strip mall schools started to pop up all over the place.

The bottom line is that any effective "martial" art requires full contact, full resistance sparring, as that shows you what is, and isn't effective in a fight, and any "martial" art that doesn't spar like that is just larping. See: Aikido.
>>
>>75075318
Did he died
>>
>>75069859
Boxing is probably the best striking art for self defense. I've never seen a Muay Thai guy with hands like a decent boxer.
>>
>>75083779
>No, they weren't.
Wrong, they were. The whole thing about Bruce Lee being the upstart was that his "Chinese" style flew in the face of conventional Western familiarity with Japanese martial arts. Where did people flock to see Bruce Lee perform his live exhibitions? Karate tournaments.

As for popularity vs. boxing, of course boxing was more popular than Japanese martial arts. Irrelevant and unrelated to the original false claim that Bruce Lee single-handedly created occidental fascination with Asian martial arts.
>>
>>75070204
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wxwqtRgSk
>>
>>75089106
That's true, but I've never seen a boxer take somebody down with a leg kick either, and muay thai dudes can do that shit, as well as knock somebody out.
>>
Boxers are actual fighters

MMA is nothing but a meme
>>
>>75069608
Because I'm white. I'm not at risk of getting into fucking street fights so I just want to do what's fun
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.