[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Mickey Mantle so highly regarded? He wasn't the best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_8374.jpg (336KB, 1242x1432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8374.jpg
336KB, 1242x1432px
Why is Mickey Mantle so highly regarded? He wasn't the best of all time, he wasn't even the best of his era. Was is just icon status for being with the Yankees for so long?
>>
nice bait
>>
>>74559203
Maris was better at the time. Hank Aaron is better overall
>>
NYC media hype. Until the 1970s or so, New York dominated American journalism and whatever New York had was automatically assumed to be the best in the nation. That was how everyone got fooled into thinking Joe Namath was elite.
>>
>>74559261
joe namath was elite, in college too.

he played his entire pro career with no knees, He had amazing arm talent, his career got fucked by injuries but he still won an owl, won two afl mvps, and led the NFL in td passes in 1972.

casual just shut the fuck up
>>
He played for the stankees
>>
>>74559195
1. Played in New York
2. Good looks
3. Had relatable flaws (nice guy, but an alcoholic and womanizer)
>>
>Maris was better at the time. Hank Aaron is better overall
Proud of /sp/ for not taking this bait.
>>
5 tool player with the personality of a folksy Dean Martin.

Injuries got the best of him.

Picture a swagged out country boy Mike Trout.
>>
>>74560501
The argument could be made that Mantle was better than Maris. Just my opinion that he wasn't. However, it is an objective fact that Hank Aaron was better.
>>
>>74559195
Probably the 7 championships.
>>74559261
>whatever New York had was automatically assumed to be the best in the nation
Probably also assumed because of the 7 championships.
>That was how everyone got fooled into thinking Joe Namath was elite.
I thought it was the pantyhose.
>>
>>74562833
Hank Aaron was better, while I'm here.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.