[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes a good sports commentator? What I hate is when they're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

What makes a good sports commentator?

What I hate is when they're telling you everything that's going on in the game. I have eyes myself, thank you, it's not a radio broadcast. Is that considered bad form and poor commentatorship?
>>
>>74542148
It depends. Most countries like different styles. Mexican announcers are pretty amazing, and they mention every blade of grass that gets bent on the way across the field. I like insight-based commentators who point out a few key moments, but then talk about why that move was important or impressive, or how it will impact things moving forward.
>>
For me, they should describe what's happening in a non intrusive manner that allows me to listen when I want but ignore when I don't want to. Also no catchphrases.

Watching the EPL on NBC, for me Arlo White is terrific. There's one guy who does college football on ESPN that I quite like too but I forget his name.
>>
Anyone else prefer when there is no match commentary at all? I like the broadcasts where it is just stadium noise. I don't need some jabroni spouting his opinions and observations over the game.
>>
File: 3837594808.jpg (77KB, 950x686px) Image search: [Google]
3837594808.jpg
77KB, 950x686px
HIGH
ENERGY
the >schalke - inter and buyern - manure matches he called are amazing
>>
>>74542175

I hate that guy.
Pic related is good.
>>
File: 1471827738027.jpg (103KB, 810x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471827738027.jpg
103KB, 810x720px
>What makes a good sports commentator?
Joe Buck
>>
>>74542163
it also will vary sport-to-sport and by medium used. contrary to OP's implication, sports commentators do in fact exist on radio. that, and different networks treat the subject of play-by-play and color commentary/analysis differently. i don't like over-the-top commentators, but i like commentators and duos that understand the ebb and flow of the game and when it's appropriate for each.

i also enjoy the occasional quality bantz, so long as they don't draw it out for 30 seconds and change the subject of the commentary to each other's wives.
>>
GUS JOHNSON WHEN HE DID CHAMPIONS LEAGUE>>>>>YUROLOSERS
>>
>>74542230
you kidding? worst commentator ever, the absolute sleeping/raging pill
>>
>Never ask for a statement.
>Remember the value of a pause.
>There are no teams in the world called 'we' or 'they'.
>Avoid cliches and banalities, such as 'he's hit that to the boundary', 'he won't want to get out now', 'of course', 'as you can see on the screen'.
>The Titanic was a tragedy, the Ethiopian drought a disaster, and neither bears any relation to a dropped catch.
>Put your brain into gear before opening your mouth.
>Concentrate fiercely at all times.
>Above all, don't take yourself too seriously, and have fun.
>>
>>74542148
The exact opposite of Andy townsend. Boring and just chats pure shit, like utter dross.

Alan Smith on the other hand is a fantastic commentator
>>
>>74542283

Exactly, his voice was so soothing.
I just looked up some commentators and it's weird how many voices I recognize, but I don't know any names.
>>
>>74542230
Rethy is alright.
but way too calm.
>>
>>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vfeOitqzPXU
>>
>>74542299
Personally, I don't want to be soothed while watching a game. I want to be incensed. That's why I wish more radio guys would give tv commentating a shot.

My personal favorite is a guy who used to do play-by-play for /myteam/ named Josh Bogorad. He knows how to call a fucking moment.
>>
File: (26).gif (497KB, 204x172px) Image search: [Google]
(26).gif
497KB, 204x172px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvJXR0dcPpg
>>
Sid Wadell is the best commentator who ever lived
>>
File: Alabama's Kicker.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Alabama's Kicker.gif
2MB, 640x360px
> no AUBURN'S GONNA WIN THE FOOTBALL GAME yet
>>
File: alberto kesman.jpg (35KB, 616x376px) Image search: [Google]
alberto kesman.jpg
35KB, 616x376px
you will never know this based drunk jew
>>
>>74542148
No, they're suppose to tell you what's happening on the field. Not everyone tuned into the broadcast is aware of what's going on or knows the sport well. On TV, there's usually two broadcasters, a color commentator and a play-by-play analyst). The color guy "paints the picture" of what is happening, usually a retired athlete sharing experiences and explaining why things are the way they are/why they are happening. The play-by-play guy normally states what is happening in the given moment.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch1myTyyZZA
>>
>>74542171

>In your world DER IS BEAR CUM doesn't exist

Sad.
>>
>>74542148
I like the ones that don't talk much, at least on television.

Radio guys, my hometown guy Dan Dickerson for the tigers ain't bad.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.