[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Currently going through a difficult period, homelessness is unfortunately

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: homeless.png (29KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
homeless.png
29KB, 512x512px
Currently going through a difficult period, homelessness is unfortunately presenting itself as my most reasonable option. Would appreciate to have someone to speak to about what it will be like going homeless so I can prepare my expectations.

Skype call works too if you're comfortable with that as well.
>>
Are you a guy or girl? Will you be completely without shelter or do you have a vehicle to sleep in? Do you have any fronds whose couches you could surf for a while? Any method of income whatsoever?

I don't have skype or anything like that so hopefully you're still around.
>>
>>25296266
Male, no vehicle, no friends, no income.

Applying for unemployment now, considering to visit social services building to apply for emergency housing and food stamps.

I'm not counting on shelters but I will still give them a try.

I'll try emergency food pantries for food and Starbucks for water.

I'm just worried that I'll be picked up by the police for vagrancy if I am unable to find a place to rest. I've been able to go three days without sleep in the past.
>>
>>25296384
>I've been able to go three days without sleep in the past.
Whatever you do, don't do this.
>>
>>25296384
Join the military.
Go talk to a recruiter.
Lie if you have any problems on your record. They don't check unless you are trying to get a MOS that takes a security clearance.

It's shit life. But its better then being homeless and you can pick what job you get. They will get you motivated. They will give you direction in life. They will teach you a skill. After 4 years you can choose to stay in or go to college for free (+ housing and food).
>>
>>25296672
Agreed. If you're at the point of homelessness without any kind of assistance or friends then a stint in the military might be exactly what you need.
>>
>>25296384
Alright. I ask because those things can vastly change answers, lol. I'm a 28yo woman and I ended up homeless after my parents died, but I did have friends to help with temporary food & shelter 80% of the time.

If you have a homeless shelter or respite in your area, you may be able to go there, but they're typically overcrowded, only open during the night w/ a curfew, and can be a hell of substance abuse problems and thieves. I was at a respite briefly but if you weren't back before 10pm you were discharged.

Libraries are actually a great safe & warm place to hang out during the day.

Homeless in the city often sleep on subway vents in the winter, though usually they're out in the open and not the safest spot since homeless can be a target for cops, other homeless, and people who hate the homeless.

If you have any money, get a gym membership so you can use the shower. If not, you'll probably have to washcloth clean yourself in park restrooms. If you can find cheaper options in your area, go for those, sometimes public pools are cheap.

You may be able to apply for section 8 housing, but it really depends on your state. Like, here in PA unless you're elderly or a single parent, you're not going to get into the program within this year because of the fuckdiculous waiting list.

You can try couchsurfing.com but idk how much luck you'll have as a homeless dude.

Dumpsters for food. Don't get caught though, especially if you see "no trespassing" signs. You'd be surprised (and probably disgusted) how much perfectly good food grocery stores, pharmacies, and general stores like Walmart throw out. Some places have compactors rather than open dumpsters, though.

Know your self defense. If you're going to be without a safe place, especially alone and at night, you might get mugged. If you can't/won't carry a gun, quality pepper spray is best, knives are the worst, and remember your primary goal is to escape, not fight.

(cont.)
>>
>>25296738
Also forgot to mention along with libraries, some stores like Walmart or grocery stores can be open 24/7 and are good for shelter and safety. It's good to know where all 24hr places are in case you get attacked or are being followed, so you can run to them for safety. If you manage to find yourself a car, truck stops are also good places to park and sleep.

Pantries are actually garbage, since you have to apply for access.

Make sure you're prepared. Don't wave anything valuable around that could flag you as a target to be mugged and always ALWAYS be alert. Keep valuables in a safe place when sleeping, obvious pockets are a no. Hopefully you're not a heavy sleeper. Be prepared to mace a mf'er if you wake up to someone rummaging your stuff.

I'll just drop this guy's list to save myself some typing:
http://imgur.com/a/aZ9fq#0
Not all of that is necessary- he's a Hobo, not a homeless person by circumstance. I carried about half of that stuff, but also pepper spray (fox brand), high-powered flashlight, 3 cellphones, and a sewing repair kit.

For cellphones: 911 works regardless of service, you can get free WiFi in many coffee shops and fast food joints, and Walmart has a Tracfone pay-as-you-go service if you'd like to be reachable without WiFi to receive job calls and such.

If you have to panhandle, never ask for money, ask for food or work- sometimes people will take you in for odd jobs like handiwork or farm work if you live in an area with some rural spots. Don't panhandle with other homeless people, because it can be taken as competition. Be careful not to get mixed up in dangerous, exploitative jobs. As a guy you'll probably have less risk of running into those offers than I did, but still, get all the details before agreeing to do anything.

(cont.)
>>
>captcha: Walmart unadopted
Um.

>>25296863
The police actually don't hate homeless as much as people think. You can't be arrested for just being vagrant, but they might ask you to go elsewhere and some shitty cops might harass you. Idk, I probably avoided this because I'm female and polite, but I know they've been douches to others because of the whole "homeless people are addicts" stigma. Just remember to be polite, truthful, calm, and civil with cops, but if you do encounter a militant douchepacker, remember you do have rights, among which is your right to remain silent, your right to decline a search, and your right to ask "Am I being detained?"

Look into any welfare and assistance programs in your area- not just food stamps and emergency housing, but services that actually help the homeless get on assistance and look for jobs. They're invaluable in terms of assisting you get on your feet. Protip: mental illness helps. I don't mean crazy psychokiller stuff, but if you have or can pretend to have anything like crippling depression or anxiety disorders, that can help you get assistance quicker.

As for staying awake for three days, that's in no way healthy, so avoid doing that. Just, look out for yourself and your well-being and try to get on your feet as quickly as you can, even if it means taking minor risks. Also never, ever fall for the trap of drugs or alcohol. It can be tempting the longer you're homeless, but it'll eat what little money you have and make you yet another stereotypical statistic and police target.

I thiiiink that's it? Tryna' be comprehensive but I might have missed some stuff.

>>25296672
>>25296680
This should not be your first option, OP, and you don't want to do this on a whim because it's lifechanging, and sometimes for the worse. Also, many of the homeless men in the country are... actually military veterans, so this isn't a permanent solution at all.
>>
>>25296871
>so this isn't a permanent solution at all.

We have seen a lot on here with psd too.
>>
>>25297075
>psd
I assume you meant PTSD lol.

But yeah, that's part of what I meant by "sometimes for the worse". You're homeless and desperate, so you join the military thinking it's a solution. It's usually an 8 year contractual commitment, and you go through rigorous basic training (maybe don't even pass that part) then have a chance of being shipped out, where you see all kinds of shit. You come back riddled with guilt and PTSD, and still homeless.

I have a friend who tried to join the chair force to support his pregnant wife and he didn't pass basic. It's not as easy as those Anons are making it sound.

The military isn't just some easy solution to homelessness someone should take on a whim, it's a serious commitment you should spend a good deal of time thinking about before you take the plunge. There are better solutions, like government assistance programs followed by some self-discipline and actually getting on your feet.
>>
If you're homeless in a more dense urban area, it can be easier than being homeless in a less dense suburban area.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.