[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'd like to hear people's game ideas or general th

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

File: have_a_game_concept.png (395KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
have_a_game_concept.png
395KB, 800x800px
I'd like to hear people's game ideas or general thoughts on making games. I only have random bits of knowledge here and there I've picked up from school and the random book here and there, but I'm definitely no expert.

Text or voice is fine.
Discord: James#1866
>>
>>25135832
Hate spics and have a gun?
>>
>>25135851
I have no idea what this post means. But this kind of response is pretty par for the course on /soc/.
>>
>>25135861
Course?
How you gonna teach if you don't even know how to use the fucking catalog?
>>
>>25135871
No idea what you're talking about when it comes to teaching.
>>
>>25135877
Don't even call out the fact that I was using niggerspeech... Get out normie.
>>
>>25135886
>>25135871
>>25135851
You are retarded
>>
Basic tier but been throwing around the idea for a while of "educational" games for an older audience. Think the shit they try to get kids to play to learn fractions or chemistry or whatever, but less of a classroom and more fps/survival horror, with subject fields adults are looking to learn on their own. As an example, where you'd otherwise have the game give you a weapon blueprint or level up your skills, instead it takes you through the actual irl information that directly applies to a certain field, and in place of the shitty puzzle or having to "hack" something/pick a lock you have to use the real-world principles to solve it.
Find some good artists and writers and see how much you could really get away with "teaching" in one game. How much of a certain subject field, how in-depth, etc.
>>
I have several good ideas for making hexagon-grid and turn based strategy games.

I even already have build parts of the engine already.
>>
I am working alone and I am beginner-intermediate in Java and beginner in C++.
But I know some things about maths, so I guess I am not all that bad with programming.
>>
>>25136922
Interesting. Talk about your engine.
>>
>>25136937
>Interesting. Talk about your engine.

It's mostly just the encapsulated linear algebra needed to operate and express directions, selections, zoom etc on a hexagonal grid - it's a bit more complicated as a rectangle one.

I also have a working "map editor", but with not that much functionality.
>>
It seems as the most central part is done and I could start making my game but I am a bit too OCD to not get totally obsessed with refactoring and optimization etc :D
>>
I think it's kind of sad that this thread is dieing :O
>>
>>25136946
>>25136958
How long have you been working on it?
>>
>>25137022
>How long have you been working on it?

without all the breaks I took doing different things I would say ~ 40+ hours.
Take into account that I started this as a project to learn java so I constantly was looking up java syntax and reading details in java libraries
>>
>>25137022

Tell me more about your project or the ambitions behind it.
As far as I understood it seems to be similiar to one of those point and click adventures, but in real time and with shooter elements, correct?
>>
>>25137043
Yeah, I was definitely thinking real time and probably a shooter, but only because that's what inspired me to think about it in the first place. This kind of comes out of a desire to find a better replacement for the constant grinding that shooters force you into in between the main plot points/game elements.

Really my interest is in the mechanics of replacing stuff like side quests/mini games/in-game puzzles with versions that are more applicable to real life. A basic example would be if you're in a water level you don't just swim around until you find the three glowing buttons or whatever, but rather you need to use principles of fluid mechanics to figure your way out. Or if you're trying to power a generator you don't just get a quest to find the missing part and a dot on your map leading to it, rather you would need an understanding of how the real-world version works and what the repair needs to accomplish, etc. Just to see if there would be a market for that kind of thing.

So, just for making that happen, it doesn't necessarily need to be a shooter or real-time. My first version probably would be, but that doesn't need to be set in stone.

It could really be anything that allows a mechanic where the player can explore the world freely enough to collect and "build" objects that don't require a set template. I'd be interested to see if you could do it with turn-based or something else.

The reason I ask about what you've done is that from the (admittedly limited) experience I have talking to people about this irl, most are very keen to do concept writing or art for a game, but it's hard to find developers wanting to work on the engine, spend hours testing game physics, actually write and build the damn thing. Whereas you did it the other way around.
And I hadn't thought about it but a project like that does seem like a pretty fun way to get better with Java or C++. I've only ever done basic stuff myself.

Also where is OP
Come back to your thread
>>
>>25137184
>This kind of comes out of a desire to find a better replacement for the constant grinding that shooters force you into in between the main plot points/game elements.
Well the problem I see here is that basically making the game world a bunch of educational riddles or 'recipes' would reduce the replayability.
What you really would need are interesting mechanics that can help you improve a certain skill.
>>
>>25136054
Kys newfag
>>
what you described reminded me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0x10c

instead of physics it had real coding though
>>
>>25137219
He was right.
Contribute or fuck off.
>>
>>25137223
Yeah that's kind of getting at my style

>>25137212
>would reduce the replayability
And
>>25137223
>citing the main problem as "it not being very fun to play"
I think that's the main problem with ideas like this, so yeah I get what you're saying. Either way there's something to it, but I'm not sure YET how to bring that something out right now without running into this problem.

>>25136916
So then somewhat on that subject, what are you looking to build that you don't see being offered out there right now?
>>
>>25137261
>So then somewhat on that subject, what are you looking to build that you don't see being offered out there right now?

I don't want to go into the details all that much because I am paranoid :D
but: my first idea is to make an rpg which is realtime on worldmap and turn based on sites and during fights.
It will be a procedually generated world with cities where you can travel freely and are some kind of 'archeologist caravan' in a post post-apocalyptic scifi world.
The cities, the people, the enemies and the politics in the world around you are supposed to change depending on what quests you do and which of your rediscovered 'technologies' you decide to share or apply.
>>
This task though seems too hard for a start, because it requires a lot of content to work out and actually be interesting.

So my second idea is to make another hex/turn-based strategy game like battle for wesnoth but in modern age and with multiple 'layers' that interact differently, so that you can have for example units under water and on top of it at the same time.
>>
That could be pretty cool. But yeah you would need a lot of content to start it off.
>>
>>25137583
Also I am kind of looking for people who can help me build it, honestly. But I don't really know where to look and where to start off.
Probably want to have the basic mechanics of my game working when I do that though.
>>
Psychological horror war game set on the Western Front during WWII.
The game would follow the slow mental deterioration into shellshock/PTSD of a young French soldier in the face of the horrors of modern, trench warfare.

Actual period weapons and uniforms, none of that BF1 shit.
>>
>>25137820
Oh nice, interesting.
Which game genre?
>>
>>25137820
I meant *WWI fuck
>>25137826
Probably FPS.
>>
>>25137833
aw, that's a hard project I imagine
are you a professional?
>>
>>25137844
lol no it was something I just thought about. I'm not related to the video game industry in anyway outside of consumption.
>>
>>25137849
Haha ^^' alright sorry
>>
I had an idea of making a multiplayer card game or turn based strategy game where cards/characters are somehow automatically generated from memes. Stats could be calculated somehow from scraping data from imageboards, google trends or twitter on the popularity of the meme. Different factions or ''classes'' of meme fighters would be based on different boards or internet subcultures.
No idea how to make a balanced rule set though.
>>
>>25137886
there aleady is a digital "rare pepe meme trading card game" hahaha
>>
>>25137894
Yeah but I mean a lot more general than pepe only, and also with an actual balanced rule set for pvp. And if the stats could somehow correlate to real time internet data it would be neat
>>
>>25137912
could be fun actually
>>
>>25137914
Lol off the top of my head I just thought of a ''color wheel'' akin to MTG where the elements are cute/dank/lewd/edgy/autistic
>>
>>25137921
>cute/dank/lewd/edgy/autistic
xD amazing categories
>>
Shameless self-bump.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.