[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /soc/, I need some advice on how to be less autistic. So

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (53KB, 680x223px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
53KB, 680x223px
Dear /soc/,
I need some advice on how to be less autistic.

So long story short I grew up in an ultra religious family. I would only hang out with people I met at the church and didn't really date because dating was for people who are planning to get married etc.

I'm 26 now, Jesus and I don't get along anymore and it's been a few years since I've been to church. Due to reasons unrelated I had a few bad years, put on some weight and basically didn't care about what I look like beyond basic hygiene. Recently I decided to get my shit together, lost the weight, started working out, and started paying more attention to what my outfit and hair look like.

So now I'm returning into (or finally entering) the society and I'm seriously starting to think I'm autistic. I don't know how to make small talk or generally interact with people. It's bad enough when I'm talking to other guys but when I try to talk to women it's like I'm turning into a complete retard.

Anyways, any advice on how to get better at social interactions would be appreciated.
>>
>>24297915
>>>/adv/
>>
>>24297915
Stop caring what people think in regards to your actions and what you say.
>>
Find people with common interests. Social groups with a purpose like a camera/programming, etc. clubs are full of people who don't know how to hold conversation with the exception of their area of interest but you will find a sliding scale. So you can start conversing on a technical level and over time get used to the normies and better acquainted with social norms. It's not perfect but it's a start and that may just be what you need.
>>
File: 1358863093-techno-viking.jpg (73KB, 640x579px) Image search: [Google]
1358863093-techno-viking.jpg
73KB, 640x579px
All praise technoviking!
>>
>>24297928
I kinda do have to care about other people to make friends.

Not caring about how others see me is what got me to have no social life in the first place.
>>
Hey there, autistic psychologist here. If you’re not sure about being autistic, it’s helpful to think back to your childhood habits. I remember lining up blocks and cars and Skittles by their colors and in patterns, to an obsessive degree. I also remember developing strange taste and tactile aversions that I later realized did not bother everyone else. Also, my life can be described by what I was interested in (read: obsessed) at the time. At different times it was dinosaurs, comedians, grammar, and the human brain; the commonality, I’ve found, is in the need to observe and codify rules.

So, if none of this sounds familiar, I have differentials! It sounds as if your chief complaint is that you have severe societal aversion and/or awkwardness. My first thought is that you described an ultra-conservative household, and I would guess that you had minimal socialization as a child anyway. Therefore, it may not be necessarily that you are autistic, but have one of the other disorders that typically come with a lack of societal grace following an intense childhood environment. For instance, major depression and social anxiety disorder both have an asocial component; the former would also explain the drop in hygiene, and why there was a turnaround out of nowhere in which you dropped all the weight. Alternatively, it could be avoidant personality disorder, which can also be called Piglet Syndrome (like the Winnie the Pooh character). It sounds like you feel a need to reach out but have a simultaneous fear of social reprisal.

This is all without fully knowing you of course so I can’t say anything definitively, but let me know if any of this resonates!
>>
>>24298027
Op here, I'm on my phone now.

The second thing sounds a lot like me. I had a lot of social interaction as a kid but it always involved a lot of anxiety.
>>
>>24298198
Alright, and this level of anxiety has been constant your entire life? Also, why aren't you and Jesus on speaking terms?
>>
>>24298527
There were times where it's been better or worse but I do have memories of when I was a kid and my parents would get angry at me because I wouldn't do stuff that required basic human interaction (phonecalls, going to the neighbors to borrow something etc.) and I guess they thought I was just being a lazy shit where in actuality I was just anxious about talking to people.

As far as Jesus goes I started doing research on my own and realized that evolution is not something Darwin just pulled out if his ass. I kept going to church for a while to keep my family happy but it didn't last for long.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.