[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a real dilemme /soc/. I've had this puppy for the

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: KIMG3258.jpg (694KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG3258.jpg
694KB, 2560x1440px
I have a real dilemme /soc/.

I've had this puppy for the last four months. She's now 7 months old. She's always been a good dog - I try not to be a lazy dog owner, make sure she gets what she needs. Sometimes I think she doesn't get enough exercise but we try to balance it out w lots of yard time.

...except she has learned to climb the fence like a tiny human... And she'll run around and won't come back. So I got a lead. She won't use the bathroom on a lead or a leash. She'll be out there for an hour and still come inside and shit on the carpet.

Im worried. Her running away is a safety concern at this point and I own this house so stinky carpets can't happen /: wat do
>>
i really didn't want to use it, but i bought one of those shock collars. i had it in the cupboard for years. i had a border collie who would literally try to herd the vehicles on the road, and i couldn't stop and i cried every time he ran towards the road.

one day, he was very close to being hit. in a heartbroken rage, i opened up the package, put the collar on him, and we went back outside

he started running towards the road, i made it beep. he stopped for a second, and then kept going, so i gave him a quick zap at about half power. he didn't react physical as far as jumping or yelping, but he did stop moving towards the road. when he started going again, i simply made it beep and he listened to me.

from then on, after that single emotional zap, he was trained by the beep. if he went towards the road, i made it beep and he'd come right back to me. for about 6 months he had the beep training, after that, i tried taking him out without the collar at all, and he listened perfectly to me

it was hard to do to my boy but i really found it worth it
>>
>>23209167
Is that your dog submitting to the cat?

And I'm on board with the shock collar idea. He won't hold it against you if that's one of your concerns.

Also don't let him until he eliminates outside. And make a big deal out of it when he does.
>>
>>23209167
how high is the fence/what material? is your dog left unattended in your yard? for how long?

>>23209259
>shock collars
really a bad idea. if the dog gets shocked and runs out of the perimeter in a panic (most do), they cannot get back in without being shocked either. and it's a very quick and easy way to create collar sensitivities, which is how bites happen

did you have a properly fenced yard? it sounds like you didn't honestly. did you contact a reputable trainer before resorting to the shock collar?
>>
>>23209289
you're thinking about a shock fence. the shock collar only gives a shock if the button is pressed on the remote. there are no perimeters
>>
>>23209295
they are both called shock collars. and the point of collar sensitivities still stand

and if you have to be there to see them preform the behavior to press the button and stop it then it's even more pointless and a "quick and easy" solution

first you need to work on your dog's recall, which is something that's vitally important anyway. and a leave it command is also helpful for when he's going near the fence. there's a lot more, hence why contacting a trainer would've been the best choice

and you still didn't answer about your yard being fenced or not
>>
>>23209326
because i was replying to your first point. you seem pretty agitated at me at the moment for absolutely no reason, however

i was 16 and lived with my parents. they don't have a fenced yard. it was a dog they adopted when i was 13 for me, that i was taking care of. obviously i couldn't afford to fence the yard at 16 vs a shock collar that i used once to train him.

anyway, i'm not sure why you're saying it's pointless if i've just said it completely changed his behaviour after one zap. he is fourteen and still completely trained with no issues. he's a healthy and happy dog

ps try not to act so agitated when asking people questions. it deters them from giving a shit about talking to you
>>
>>23209167
>>23209289
Like this anon says, how high is the fence?
I had troubles with my pupper a few years back. I pretty much DIY'd it, got some scrap wood, and walled off a section of the back garden that my dog was using to escape.
>>
>>23209335
>they don't have a fenced yard.
then why was he left unleashed out there?

>it was a dog they adopted when i was 13 for me, that i was taking care of
>obviously i couldn't afford a fence
this should have been discussed before getting a dog. you do not let dogs off leash in populated areas unless they are properly contained (as in, a fence). not doing so is actually illegal in many places and breaking leash laws

and because training like that is proven to frequently result in unwanted negative behaviors or being less effective than other methods. it worked for your dog? cool, but does not mean it should be used for others before all other options are explored.
>>
>>23209369
once again, i was thirteen when they adopted him. telling me what they should have done is useless. i did not make the decision and i can't turn back time. i worked with what i had.

i guess you don't realize that not everybody has the privilege to be able to afford extensive training and complete yard remodeling, so i was offering a cheap alternative that worked for me. yes, i understand if you get a pet you should be able to afford to take care of that pet, but circumstances change. you could be set to own a dog and then five months later have no job/income whatsoever

so keep in mind that not everybody has a completely disposable income at all times.

yes, dogs general prefer (and it's more successul) to use positive reinforcement for training. but it can't always be used, especially for dogs of my breed (border collies). behavoiur modification training isn't as abusive as you are making it sound.

you are acting worked up over the fact that a thirteen year old could not make decisions to properly care for a dog. it was not in my control. i did what i could wih what i had, which is what i'm suggesting this anon does.
>>
>>23209382
I'll ask again, why was the dog left unattended outside in the first place? if you don't have a yard, you don't let him off leash, it's simple

>i guess you don't realize that not everybody has the privilege to be able to afford extensive training and complete yard remodeling
if you can shell out around $200 for a shock collar, you can afford a consult with a trainer. and again, you shouldn't have left him off leash in the first place

>but it can't always be used, especially for dogs of my breed (border collies)
well that's a load of bull if I ever saw one

>behavoiur modification training isn't as abusive as you are making it sound
B-mod training most frequently refers to positive reinforcement training methods since they're typically more effective long term

>a thirteen year old could not make decisions to properly care for a dog
then why did that thirteen year old have a dog in the first place? and more importantly, you're admitting it wasn't the proper decision, so why are you suggesting it to anon?
>>
>>23209410
you are completely misunderstanding all of my points. i don't think this is really worth it. but let me try, once again, to do so

1) i was thirteen. i cannot make my parents decisions for them.
2) it was 100, and you cannot get a trainer to train for your dog for 100. don't know where you live, but that's unbelievable here.
3) i don't know what "a load of bull" is about that by saying positive reinforcement doesn't always work in training dogs. but ok
4) yes, you're kind of agreeing with me, so... thanks?
5) because my PARENTS MADE THE DECISION. a thirteen year old can't go and get a dog. they got it for me as a surprise.

6) i'm suggesting it to anon because, once again, not eveyrbody has unlimited income, and i was offering a cheap alternatively that personally worked for me.

i kinda just repeated exactly what i said in the old post, but hwen people get really agitated (like you) they tend to not read
>>
File: KIMG3038.jpg (994KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG3038.jpg
994KB, 2560x1440px
>>23209274
Yeah she's a really good girl, like literally 0 behavioral issues except with all this running away business... She ate wallpaper off the wall yesterday. I can see she's stressed about it.

>>23209259
>>23209289
Idk about a shock collar. The fence is about 4ft and chain link which is how she climbs it. I've never seen anything like it. She literally sticks her lil feet in the holes and scales it and jumps at the top.

I used to let her out unattended but ever since this started she'll do it if she's out there for two minutes. She thinks its a game. It's not. ):
>>
>>23209167
Go outside and supervise her, maybe, yell when you see her start to climb.
Our dog had this problem when she was a young puppy too. I'm not sure on the specifics of what my parents did to train her out of it, because that was 12-15 years ago, but we eventually got to the point where she stopped.

Also, if you take her for more walks (or runs, if you're an athletic kinda anon) she'll probably be less likely to run off on her own.
>>
>>23209468
if you can afford it, my friends have just kind of made little sections of their yards with the tops wired with chainlink... it did cost them a bit but it was awesome. very spacious, sun and shade, trees and dirt. their dog was a jumper too. but she was really happy in that big enclosure

i've never done anything like it but yeah
>>
File: KIMG3194.jpg (203KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG3194.jpg
203KB, 1280x720px
>>23209469
She won't come when we call... Me or my roommates, like when she gets in that mood you have to run away to get her to come because she really thinks you're trying to play. But you're right it could be an exercise thing, like she's making up games because she's understimulated.

>>23209473
I'm considering lattice or chicken wire, I own this place so I can make it look as shitty as I want to
>>
>>23209489
yeah, if you're unable to just get all that energy out of her (like i said i got a border collie, and you got a pup. you could walk them for hours and play with them for even more and they'd still be energetic as fuck) that might be something worth looking into, either of those would work great
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.