[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay so I'm pretty dumb and slightly struggling in quantum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: 1387491661675.png (197KB, 294x256px) Image search: [Google]
1387491661675.png
197KB, 294x256px
Okay so I'm pretty dumb and slightly struggling in quantum mechanics this semester.

Is you have some measurement that measures a 1/2-spin system, the component along the z-axis comes through as:

|Ψ> = |+> + |->

But then why is the component along the x and y axis any different? For example my book defines x and y as (by convention):

x: |+> = 1/sqrt(2) [ |+> + |-> ]
x: |-> = 1/sqrt(2) [ |+> - |-> ]
and
y: |+> = 1/sqrt(2) [ |+> + i|-> ]
y: |-> = 1/sqrt(2) [ |+> - i|-> ]

What do these axes results mean? Is it implying that you first took a measurement with respect to the z-axis, THEN measured either x or y? I'm having some trouble conceptualizing what these x and y equations are telling you.

That's all. Thanks!
>>
>>9168513
>What do these axes results mean?

It's just a change in basis.

>Is it implying that you first took a measurement with respect to the z-axis, THEN measured either x or y?

No, if you measure with respect to the z-axis you would get |+z> or |-z>. Lets say |+z>. Then the probably the 2nd measurement wrt the x axis will be positive will be <+x|+z>^2=0.5 and will be negative is <-x|+z>^2 =0.5.
>>
>>9168535
>>9168535
>No, if you measure with respect to the z-axis you would get |+z> or |-z>. Lets say |+z>. Then the probably the 2nd measurement wrt the x axis will be positive will be <+x|+z>^2=0.5 and will be negative is <-x|+z>^2 =0.5.

Right, makes sense and lines up with the thought experiments (stern gerlach).

But for some reason I still can't wrap my head around why these are different. I understand they're a change in basis, orthogonal, and all that jazz, but for some reason I can't conceptualize it...
>>
File: Monogatari.full.1427492.jpg (482KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Monogatari.full.1427492.jpg
482KB, 1000x1000px
>>9168574
To convince yourself of this, calculate the eigenvectors of the pauli spin matrices for a spin -1/2 particle. For example:

Sx |+->=j|+-> implies that mat (-j,h/2,h/2,-j)=0.

Det (mat (-j,h/2,h/2,-j))=0 implies that j=+-h/2.

Forj=+h/2, mat (-1,1,1,-1)×mat (x1,x2)=0 implies that x1=x2. Since x1^2+x2^2=1, 2x1^2=1 implies x1=+-1/(2)^2. This means that the spinor is (x1,x2)=(1/(2)^2,1/(2)^2).

For j=-h/2, the eigenst in or comes out to be (1/(2)^2,-1/(2)^2).
>>
>>9168668
Well the pauli matricies already imply something I don't understand. Not sure how I can start with something I don't understand and work back to confirm the thing I don't understand.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.