[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Without googling, looking at your notes, or reading other posts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 15053715590061114996797.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
15053715590061114996797.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Without googling, looking at your notes, or reading other posts in this thread.

Basic algebra is simply using variables and operations sum and multiplication.

But in the term "Linear Algebra";
what does the "Linear" mean?

(This is one of my favorite questions to humiliate engineers)
>>
linear spaces, linear maps----lines and planes and sheeit.
>>
>>9167139
Linear algebra = algebra of linear objects and actions
>>
>>9167145
>>9167161
>defining "linear" using the word "linear"

Enginerds spotted. Bazinga! Elon Musk! Big data! Handpicked parameters!
>>
straight line nigger
>>
>>9167139
>what does the "Linear" mean?

cA(v+w) = A(cv)+A(cw)
>>
File: image.png (218KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
218KB, 800x800px
>>9167139
>>9167168
/this
y=mx+b

Pretty simple really
>pic: I'm glad >>>/x/ could help
>>
Solving linear matrices, none of the variables are multiplied by another, but they're all separated
>>
>>9167139
like affine but through 0
>>
So none of you can explain to me what LINEAR means? How terribly unfortunate. But I guess you know Justin Biebers top songs, names of Kim Kardashians dogs, and other important things in your daily strug- I mean life
>>
>>9167381

y=mx + b isn't a linear function though.

linear is f(x) + f(y) = f(x + y) and f(cx) = c(fx).
>>
>>9167139
>(This is one of my favorite questions to humiliate engineers)

Wouldn't they be pretty likely to know it, at least electrical engineers and such? I don't know about civil/mech/etc though.
>>
>>9167169
Nice dude
>>
It's the study of algebras generated by linear transformations, my nigga.
>>
>>9168835

linear algebra is not just the study of algebras of linear maps.
>>
File: fucking casuals.jpg (16KB, 232x288px) Image search: [Google]
fucking casuals.jpg
16KB, 232x288px
linear algebra deals with linear combinations of variables. within an expression, variables are added and subtracted; there's no exponentiation or terms consisting of the product of multiple variables.
>>
>>9168805
So you're saying that
f (mx) + f (b) =/= f (mx+b)?
And that y=c (mx+b) =/= cmx + cb?
>>
>>9168867
f(x) = mx+b

>f(mx) = m(mx)+b
>f(b) = m(b)+b

f(mx)+f(b) = m(mx)+b + m(b)+b = m(mx+b) + 2b
f(mx+b) = m(mx+b) + b

>f(mx) + f(b) = f(mx+b)
is the same as saying
>m(mx+b) + 2b = m(mx+b) + b
>2b = b

Basic stuff. A middle schooler could've checked you.
>>
>>9167139
"Linear" is usually used to describe types of functions. Functions that satisfy the identity f(a*x + b) = a*f(x) + b (of course, this definition can be expanded to multiple different independent variables). "Linear" can also be used to describe the concept of "linear combinations," in which one takes a set of elements, multiplies each of the elements by a coefficient, and then adds the product up. There is also the concept of linear differential equations, where one can solve the equation by creating many additional differential equations, and by modeling the differentiation operation via multiplication by a matrix. Specifically, the matrix undergoes a change of basis based on its eigenvectors, which can be trivially solved with the exponential function.
>>
means 1st degree polynomials?
>>
>>9167165
No anon, they're defining a term with linear in it using linear. Like defining a black hat as a covering for your head that happens to be black.
>>
>>9167169

This is the correct answer in this thread.
Note that a transformation is considered linear if:

T(ax + by) = aT(x) + bT(y), where a, b are constants.

This is typically what is meant by "linearity." Also, linear algebra is usually one's first exposure to abstract algebra and matrix theory.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.