[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Med student. Which specialty should I choose, /sci/? I want a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Med student. Which specialty should I choose, /sci/? I want a specialty that emphasizes critical thinking over repetitive procedures, pays well, and actually changes people's lives.
>>
>>9166678
you aint a med student
>>
If you are going to be just a clinical doctor it doesn't fucking matter - Doctors are a import role in society, but one doctor is about as important as a bee in a hive, the hive matters, the bee need to be there in number, but one doesn't change much

UNLESS you want to do research, than neuroscience sounds fucking amazing...
>>
>>9166678

You should be a therapist
>>
>>9166678

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/which-specialty-in-medicine-provides-the-most-opportunity-to-do-logical-deductive-puzzle-solving.1247197/

Learn to use a search engine.

The answer is Radiology.
>>
>>9166678

Yo, I'm 2nd year internal med residency

From my experiences so far, each specialty feels like OB's stereotype

>ortho repairs, dumps their shit on hospitalist groups. Their surgical site infections are also dumped on us to treat, and many need coaxing to actually remove infected hardware.
>ED consults frequently on patients that don't quite meet criteria to admit, time sync depending on which docs are in ED for hospitalists. The EMR starts filling up with "intent to admit" at about 1400-2300
>the types of psych patients that admit are usually OD, and they consult hospitalist groups all the time despite being aware that they're also able to call tox
>derm has the luxury of having minimal inpatient consulting, and majority appears to be outpatient. But then again, derm has one of the highest job satisfaction and lowest burn out rates
>Gen Surg should only be pursued by people who are okay with no sleep, long hours, and frequent call. One of the highest attrition rates, low satisfaction, and John burn out, high liability (second to OB)

When you hit clerkships is when you should consider what's right for you. This is often easier said than done, since many students love whatever they're currently in. When I did OB rotation I wanted to be OB, then wanted to be IM, then Derm, then Rad

the work week laws for residents are hardly followed, there are aspects of work that don't factor into the limit laws
>>
>>9166700
Do not go into radiology if you're just starting med school. Computer systems are going to greatly reduce the demand for them.
>>
>>9166784
Is it worth it financially to go into internal or pediatrics if you have to pay for your MD
>>
>>9166862
Not if you're planning a private practice.

I'm planning to sign with ANMC in Alaska, exchanging 5 years standard salary + loan repayment. Drawback is getting moved to some remote village doing clinic scut work.
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/adv/18720879
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.