[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain this calculus shit to me? I missed last

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: SumatraPDF_2017-09-12_23-22-52.png (29KB, 414x376px) Image search: [Google]
SumatraPDF_2017-09-12_23-22-52.png
29KB, 414x376px
Can someone explain this calculus shit to me?

I missed last class and now we have a test coming up and this is the only topic I don't understand: "Precise Definitions of Limits"

I know what delta and epsilon represent but when looking in the back of the textbook and seeing that a is 2 and b is 1/2, I just don't get it at all.
>>
Pleading bump
>>
Please someone explain this to me, I'll give you 5 (you)s.
>>
Man I don't wanna brag but I barely remember this shit. It's literally not even important. Just skip it.
>>
>>9165080
I would 100% skip this if my grade didn't depend on knowing it, at least the upcoming test and homework grade. Trust me, I throw half the stuff I learn straight out the window after the class ends, but that's not the point here.
>>
What is your question? You say you know what delta and epsilon represent but don't understand
>>
>>9165090
How tf is a 2 and b is .5
>>
>>9165080
Find the brainlet
>>
>>9165081
What is the definition of limit? If you think about it for some time, try to draw the epsilon in the graph, and see what delta has to be from the definition of limit.

Maybe look at some visual explanaiton of limit as well
>>
a.)
f(x) - 6 < 3
and f(x) - 6 > -3.
Rearranging/combining the above two lines,
we get 3 < f(x) < 9.
This condition holds when 1 < x < 5 by looking at the graph.

Or when -2 < (x - 3) < 2.
Which is equivalent to saying |x-3| < 2.

It's the same thing for part b.
Just start off with:
f(x) - 6 < 1
and
f(x) - 6 > -1.
Then f(x) < 7 and f(x) > 5.
This happens on the graph when 2.5 < x < 3.5.
Or when -0.5 < x < 0.5
Or equivalently |x| < 0.5.
>>
Me again. This isn't even calculus.
This is just reading a graph.
>>
>>9165100
This is calculus, this is probably the essence of calculus that most eng brainlets won't even see - and also the reason some weird shit can be made int calculus, dealing with stuff going to infinity and similar stuff.
>>
God fucking damnit I messed up the last 2 lines of my answer.
Change the last 2 lines to
Or when -0.5 < x-3< 0.5
Or equivalently |x-3| < 0.5.
>>
>>9165099
Not op but thanks
>>
>>9165099
>>9165108
This is actually starting to make a lot more sense. I was trying to solve it mathematically or something instead of just looking at the graph. I got to the 3 < f(x) < 9 part but didn't know what to do with that. Thanks!
>>
>>9165116
No problem.
And when I say this isn't a calculus problem, I just mean it doesn't involve any differentiation or integration.
>>
>>9165100
What? This is a calc 1 concept. Though you are sorta right in the sense that finding the answer to the problem does rely a little bit on staring at a graph of the function. However, as >>9165099 's post clearly demonstrates, this problem goes a little deeper than that and does use some notation.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.