[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you catch up with more advantaged minds when you've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: lXSWGjR.png (65KB, 1092x1037px) Image search: [Google]
lXSWGjR.png
65KB, 1092x1037px
How do you catch up with more advantaged minds when you've fallen behind? I grew up wasting my time playing video games and watching anime all day instead of kindling a fascination with an intellectual pursuit. I didn't do anything special in high school. I wasted about the first two years of college before settling on the degree path I'm on now. It really bothers me that there are college freshmen out there who know more than I do because they were already interested in the subject in high school and studied by themselves.
>>
>>9163204
In the grand scheme of things, 3-4 years doesn't actually matter. Especially not high-school level "self study". All that matters is how you spend your time now.
>>
>>9163204
Find an intellectual niche no one else has thought to get into or wants to get into.
>>
>>9163239
>high school level "self study"
Fite me, been studying programming and CS hardcore for the past year and I have a job now
>>
>>9163275
underage band
>>
>>9163275
Oh really? What do you make? (both product and salary)
>>
>>9163204
If your brain is the instrument to gaining knowledge then you need to focus on it and start giving yourself better habits.

When you pull up your web browser have as a homepage websites like science daily and journals on scientific subjects that interest you.

There a ton of science podcasts. I really enjoy the brain science podcast.

I would honestly start with mathematics as a foundation and make sure you've got all your bases covered and revisit anything that you may have forgotten.

Pick up a book from the library that is slightly above your reading comprehension and start reading it in small chunks.

If you are persistent and continue to search for interesting and difficult material then you will eventually learn it. They key is the neuroplasticity of your brain and the ability for you to train yourself to have certain habits. If you are able to make a well articulated plan then all you have to do after that is use your willpower to keep going.
>>
>>9164244
>feels threatened
Tbh I just got the offer yesterday. It's in web development. Don't know my salary yet, but I've worked for the guy before, made $1000 writing a C# program that connected to an eye tracker API and displayed the data real time on an interactive graph.
>>
>>9164668
>projecting
Nigga I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm glad you're happy, but honestly I'd kill myself out of boredom if I were in webdev.

My point is that the majority of people who "study" in high school don't actually learn that much, and that it's not worth giving up over, because it's not much of a handicap to have not studied before college, or even having switched to it midway through.
>>
>>9163204
You just do what you gotta do, m8. You can't change the past, only the future. Wondering about what could have been will only bring you pain.
>>
>>9164779
Yeah you're right, and you're also right about the webdev—it's way juicier to do the CS stuff, or at least software development. I'm mostly just doing this so I can pay for college. But I've also kind of gotten to the point where you do something or put effort into something long enough you start to enjoy it anyways.
>>
>>9163204
Hmm... I still play vidya a lot and I am about to get my masters this winter. This isn't really a problem mate.
>>
>>9164862

You sound like a drug addict
>>
>>9163204
I joined math in my third year of university and now two years later, I'm doing my masters at one of the best places in my country with scholarships and everything. Start studying now.
>>
>>9164846
I can understand that. I really hope my classes this year turn into that, because -- good god my schedule is packed with filler bullshit.

I didn't mean to detract from your achievements though; getting a webdev job out of high school is still fucking awesome, and definitely not an easy thing to accomplish.
>>
>>9165074
Thanks fren. And yeah, I get really sick of classes being a waste of time. It's demoralizing. I wish there was a way to determine whether or not you were serious about your education, and that method determines how much liberty you have in what classes you take. Problem is I bet that method would be flawed and I would be one of the ones to heck it up.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.