[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

9x = ab where 1 <= x <= 9 and x is an integer tand a,b

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1020.jpg (51KB, 681x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1020.jpg
51KB, 681x445px
9x = ab
where
1 <= x <= 9 and x is an integer tand a,b = base 10 digits,
where
a = x - 1
b = 10 - x
respectfully.

My question is why is that, also did I just discover a new mathematical law?
>>
>>9162726
Wait, so you're claiming [math] 9x = (x-1)(10-x) ~ 1 \leq x \leq 9 [/math]? Because that doesn't work, put x=1 to see. You can recast you little equation in the form [math] x^2 -2x +10= 0 [/math] which has a discriminant that's less than 0, so it has no real solutions.
>>
>>9162745
No, im saying that a & b are the digits, they're not multiplied together.
Look
9*5 = (5-1) (10-5)
= 45

Or
9*7 = (7-1)(10-7)
= 63
See?
>>
Not really, for the one digit integers, multiplying them by 9 give us that integer multiplied by 10 minus the integer (10-x), because any number (from 1 to 9) it's obvious that the first integer is the integer minus one, for the 10-x we have the same reasoning
>>
>>9162827
So say 9x=10a+b for natural numbers a,b
>>
>>9162827
(5-1)(10-5) = 9*4 and that most definitely does not equal 9*4

Are you high?
>>
>>9162873
*does not equal 9*5
>>
>>9162726
ab (where a and b are digits) is another way to say 10*(x - 1) + (10 - x)
which equals 10x - 10 + 10 - x = 9x
You fucking brainlet
>>
>>9162726
What you've discovered is ambiguous notation, most likely. A lot of times when I'm tutoring future primary school teachers, we'll give them a problem like this and it just blows their minds. Here's the idea:

Normally, when we write ab, we mean that a and b are numbers which we are then to multiply to get another value, say x, and we'll just denote x by ab.

However, if someone tells you that they have a 3 digit number xyz where x,y,z are digits, they aren't talking about multiplication, they're talking about the number which is x*100+y*10+z. It is just useful notation to get the idea across by writing xyz.

In case you already knew that and were just impressed with the fact that if I wanted to multiply 9*7 i could just reduce 7 by 1 to get 6 then find out 6 plus what equals 9 (it's 3) then put those together to get 63, then congratulations! I like this pattern too. No, you did not find a new mathematical law. We can prove this by examining the equation you wrote, 9x=ab. First, we'll rewrite in a way which we can manipulate algebraically, i.e. 9x=a10+b. we know 9=10-1, so let's write this as (10-1)x=a10+b. Then 0=10a-10x+b+x=(a-x)10+(b+x). This is true only if a-x=-1 and b+x=10. That is, a=x-1 and b=10-x. Hope that clears things up!
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.