[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you doing research right now, /sci/? You're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: research-stratplan.jpg (125KB, 1170x585px) Image search: [Google]
research-stratplan.jpg
125KB, 1170x585px
Why aren't you doing research right now, /sci/? You're never going to make it if you don't do research and build rapport with your professors as a freshman.
>>
>>9161224
i start my first rotation tomorrow and i could not be more excited.
>>
>>9161224
I am doing research right now though.
>>
The fucking rotation stage is busted and my advisor won't accept we need to get a new stepper motor.
>>
Because I'm a fuck up. I'm gonna get my shit so fucking together tho. For fucking real bro. I'm gonna go hard in he paint and fucking just go straight discipline. Like those dudes that cut off their balls so they have no weak points for fighting. I'm gonna do the equivalent of that for academic shit.
>>
I fucking hate research
>>
>>9161224
Cause I'm fucking drunk right now dumbass. FUck I already did research. Did it as uh... I forgot. Fuck I forgot when I started. BUt the point is I got my PhD and got a job as a goddamn scientist at a top tier university.

Turns out I fucked up big time. Should have just stuck with doing a postdoc at university I graduated. I missed out on a once in a lifetime grant and now I'm stuck doing absolutely shit research. It's at a good school, but you have no idea how fucking shit this research is.

Look kiddies, don't get into research. Fuck as many women as you can while you're still young. Better yet get a bunch pregnant, then fucking kill yourself when you reach 25
>>
>>9161283
fucking lel, field? what you drunk on anon?
>>
>doing research as a freshman
Measure monkey in subscience detected.
>>
>>9161283
>I missed out on a once in a lifetime grant and now I'm stuck doing absolutely shit research. It's at a good school, but you have no idea how fucking shit this research is.
are you implying you paid to go to grad school at the prestigious university?
>>
>>9161328
no he's saying it's boring and there is no room to do anything else due to a lack of funding, which wouldnt have been a problem at his previous uni
>>
>>9161328
hahahahaha nope. Biggest fucking myth about grad school. They paid me to go to grad school. The only real cost is spending your prime years inside a dimly lit office.

No I got a job at a fucking awesome university with one of the top people in the field and this job fucking sucks. I abandoned the research I liked doing for prestige.

>>9161348
The thing to know is that research funding comes in fads. Thing gets popular people fund it. Then it loses popularity and people don't fund it and probably won't fund anything like it again for 10 years or so. Well at least for certain kinds of research.

Fields like battery research can work on the same kind of shit over and over again showing only marginal improvement.(JK they actually do pretty good work)

>>boring
oh god no. Even the work I'm doing right now isn't boring, it's just soul-crushing, pointless, and has little chance of being successful. Our team got funded to do something we are ill-equipped to do. And here's the worst part they want to do the thing using fluffy psychology-based bullshit. Even trying to accomplish a fool's errand can be fun.

But seriously go out there and fuck women while you're young. Also, just fucking die after you turn 25. Life just isn't worth living after that.
>>
>>9161421
well im 26 and my sexual exploit stage is over with, i had a shitload of fun in my earlier years but it got shallow pretty quick. Fucking random hot sluts isnt all it's made out to be, especially with PhD intelligence, you just feel like you're wasting your time.
That really sucks you're ill equip, i dont think id ever join a uni that didnt have crazy toys, i dont think ive read a single method i couldnt replicate at my research institute.
>fluffy psychology based bullshit
what the fuck field are you in, im really interested, how can they want you to do psychology shit, is it neuroscience shit?
>>
>>9161462
>>i had a shitload of fun in my earlier years
then you shouldn't regret it
>>26
it is all downhill from here. 26 is past prime and your mind starts to literally slow down.

nah bro, we got all the toys in the world, it's the people that are the problem. The people on the team are not the ones who should be working on this problem. The approach I have to use because that's what my boss is paying me for, is probably not going to work for shit.

So imagine being tasked with building a fucking awesome spaceplane that has never been made before, but your boss says you can only use wood because that's what the company specializes in. Oh and we're gonna use jet engines too, because jet engines are popular. This despite the fact that no one in the company has ever seen a jet engine and making an airplane out of wood is fundamentally incompatible with using jet engines.(The jet engine in our case is deep learning)

>>what the fuck field are you in
fuck if I even know anymore. You would not even believe what field I'm in officially.

>>is it neuroscience shit
no it's just shit.
>>im really interested,
no, you aren't and shouldn't be. Some of the work we are doing essentially involves management research and it's done in the worst way possible.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.