[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best proven way to memorize information, whether

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: pile-of-books[1].jpg (96KB, 500x305px) Image search: [Google]
pile-of-books[1].jpg
96KB, 500x305px
What's the best proven way to memorize information, whether in large or small amounts?
>>
Method of Loci
>>
>>9159348
Probably spaced repition with a tool like Mnemosyne or equivalent.
>>
>>9159348

I play quizzes on sporcle frequently and have memorized or internalized the following:

countries of the world
flags of the world
periodic table
-dozens of other lists of geographical information

I'm fairly good at memorization, is my point, though it can be a dull activity of course. Depending on the information to be memorized, I've noticed a few things that work for me:

-divide and conquer. Break a large list of information down into like 2-5 things at a time, based on each small group having some definite relationship to each other that the rest don't have. Get that one figured out and drill it a bit, then keep going. You know you've got everything in "that" group once you've counted up to 3,4,5, whatever it happens to be (you store this number as well).

Example: what are the five african countries right around Lake Victoria (a great big lake) in east africa? Answer: Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Burundi. CONTEXT: note the generally vowel-ending african-sounding names of each one. Rwanda was that place where they had that big genocide in the Clinton years. Uganda had Idi Amin, and Kenya is known to be relatively stable by African standards.

The latter notes lead me to my next point: contextualize. Give it at least one other connection to something else that you know or have heard about in life. In the above case, I "personify" the countries, by relating them to news coverage-one-line history that I know. Take Americium, an obscure actinide in the periodic table: this is the stuff in a smoke detector that makes the thing go off when there's too much smoke. That's literally the only other thing I know about it.

A third possibility deserves greater exploitation and should actually be taught, if not having specific examples given in class: The Dirty Mnemonic. Years ago, a comedy program gave the following:

Phylum-Class-Order-Family-Genus-Species: Please Come Over For Gay Sex

I have never forgotten it since.
>>
>>9159348
Information compression, usually.
>>
Fantasy and imagination.

This is the latest science btw.
>>
Jay z says repeat it 18 times in a row
>>
>>9159348
Anon enlighten me on spaced retrieval, it's a scientifically proven technique for retaining information over time

>>9152326
here there is the post and public research supporting spaced retrieval
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.