[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Lets assume a massless rope of infinite length inside

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: 1365252950544.jpg (14KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1365252950544.jpg
14KB, 251x242px
>"Lets assume a massless rope of infinite length inside of a vacuum..."
>>
>>9159078
You forgot
>frictionless
>>
You forgot the null thickness.
>>
>>9159078
"assume newtonian physics apply"
>>
I know. Computers aren't real. Did you ever read Turing's description of his machine? He assumes a tape of infinite length. Computers are entirely based on something impossible. They don't really exist.
>>
>Lets assume a massless rope of infinite length inside of a vacuum...

Fucking plebs

>Lets refuse to believe in an object that literally exists

Patrician
>>
>>9159078
>let's assume every single possible variable and make this problem so complicated that you undergrads will never understand this basic concept in trying to teach

Teaching is about trying to make others understand things, it's important to start off simple.
>>
>>9159123

Real computer architectures aren't based on Turing machines you asshat.
>>
>>9159123
Tape can be looped.
>>
File: mathphd.png (163KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.png
163KB, 400x267px
>Imagine a 1 sided surface in a 3 dimensional space
>>
File: Möbius_strip.jpg (103KB, 1328x824px) Image search: [Google]
Möbius_strip.jpg
103KB, 1328x824px
>>9160532
>>
>>9159078
Vacuum est in exego cereber. Infinit desert in exego vortex.
>>
>>9159078
If you are still rolling your eyes at assumptions like this I think it's safe to conclude that you have never worked on anything of real significance where you would see the utility. You should assume that negligible things and negligible. If you don't and smugly insist that every real effect should be represented in your model, then for all your effort your results will be behind everyone else in the field who was smart enough to simplify and hand wave. You won't be the one rolling there eyes at that point.
>>
>>9159123
Movere ad X.
>>
>>9160583
judging by your grammar, you'll be rolling up burritos at taco bell.
>>
>>9159338
Movere ad NSA intranet cotii rect lingeror.
>>
>>9159078
>solve this problem
>make sure to remember that this cannot be solved analytically
>hope you have a good cpu in your laptop
>>
>>9160589
Couldn't help but notice you forgot to capitalize Taco Bell as it is the name a business friendo, no problem though, just a slight grammatical error I'm sure you're a super smart physicist working on the worlds problems :^)
>>
>"Solve the problem using [method that takes x1000 times longer then it should if you had used a better method]"
>>
>>9160589
> assumes I'm not already working in my field
Ok boyo, keep working on that grammar. I'm sure it was just extraordinary luck for me to end up in my position, my horrible grammar surely would have fucked me hard otherwise. Best you keep focusing on the things that are important.
>>
>>9159078
What is mapmakers dilemma
>>
>>9160590
which special case of autism is this???
>>
>massless
Only relevant for shit where thr center of mass is located at some point. Do yoy really want to carry some stupid digit when calculating orbits if the center of mass is basically at the sun? If not you basically just assume its homogeneous so its mass is distributed uniformly
>infinite
I've only encountered this aproximation in capacitors and inductors and thats because no one really knows what happens at the borders
>vacuum
If you understand how things fall inside a vacuum you can then just add friction terms based on what you know about fluid dynamics.
>>
>>9160351
In fact, physics itself is about extracting interesting features by selectively ignoring as much as you can get away with.

That's why physical modelling isn't just a simple, mechanical process.

If you're not ready to tolerate seemingly-absurd assumptions, you're always going to be dull, plodding, and largely useless as a physicist.
>>
physics in a nutshell: lets just pretend things exist and see what happens

LOL literal brainlets, a 4-year old can figure this out
>>
>>9160563
i count 4 sides
the top side, the other side, and the two very thin sides
>>
>>9161086
>the two very thin sides
Being stupid enough to think that edges are sides
>the top side, the other side
Nice try brainlet
>>
rigorously give the definition of a side, then
>>
>>9160373
computers can be reduced to turing machines

.. why the tripcode?
>>
>>9159078
That's me and OP's mom every night.
>>
File: blair witch pupper.jpg (17KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
blair witch pupper.jpg
17KB, 640x640px
>>9159078
Done. What next?
>>
>>9161111
the end of the rope
>>
>>9160373
Yeah they are, they're just using a RAM model. It's the same computational power.
>>
File: 240px-Klein_bottle.svg.png (98KB, 240x461px) Image search: [Google]
240px-Klein_bottle.svg.png
98KB, 240x461px
>>9160532
>>
>>9161086
at max pedantry, there are, at most 2 sides.
they loop
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.