[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>13 years of my brain's most plastic years wasted on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: SOMENTE.jpg (123KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
SOMENTE.jpg
123KB, 960x720px
>13 years of my brain's most plastic years wasted on glorified daycare (public schools)
>parents never encouraged me to do anything either, just sparked any interest for STEM and studying in general at 20 years of age

As I need to wageslave, I've only ~ 5 hours a day to study plus the whole weekend.Am I recoverable. /sci/?
>>
If you need to ask, then no
>>
>>9158767

Yes.
Now get to studying.
>>
At any age really.
What you need to figure out is whether this is how you want to spend your time.
>>
>>9158767
yes, you will be in disadvantage with people who didn't waste all those years, but with some hard work you can get in the stem field
>>
>>9158767
Well done, you have successfully found something that you cannot change to blame for your current situation.

Next logical step is to look upon achievements of others and find reasons you should benefit from them and how they didn't deserve them.
>>
File: 1504989612976.jpg (1MB, 1592x2072px) Image search: [Google]
1504989612976.jpg
1MB, 1592x2072px
>>9158767
>Am I recoverable. /sci/?
Yes.
>>
>>9158792

You forgot the part where I ask if it's possible to change
>>
>>9158797
Flip a coin. There's no way for me to determine your ability from a few lines of text. You're asking the wrong question regardless, since it doesn't matter whether you think you can or cannot undo the perceived loss suffered. In the end you have only your will to succeed. What you should be asking is how badly do you want to achieve your goals?
>>
>>9158793
I mean engineers can get competent at math at engineer level. Sure you can do it. I suggest russian books, but you need someone who can translate them. Soviet books get you ready for uni in about a year in a very rigorous manner. Actually, considering burgers learn calc in uni, you can get ready for uni in half the time. Read anything you can get your hands on from Kolmogorov, Landau, Luzin, Levin, Dobrushkin, Lyapunov, Novikov. Basically anyone that had written texts targeted at soviet talented highschoolers. The books are tough for the level they're aimed at, we learned basics of topology and algebra (especially homological) during highschool, but they are very very good at encouraging curiosity. Also, even though the explanations are mostly relying on intuition, rigorous proofs are given either as excercises, or as addendum in the book (where students are not expected to prove it themselves).
Failing that, you can try old french or german textbooks. If you're struggling to get these or for some reason aren't good candidate for learning by exposition, go with the usual american books, they're easy by comparison and hold your hand very much.
>>
>>9158814
Shut up, you dumb slime
>>
>>9158816
>reading commie trash
>>
>>9158814

As you can see, I'm really insecure, so biologic determinism like IQ shitposting really gets to me.I unironically have anxiety of taking an IQ test as ridiculous as it sounds.Maybe I should just dive in (as I really want to learn math) and stop browsing /sci/ then / comparing myself to other people?
>>
>>9158816

thanks senpai, I've downloaded the sci wiki archive and most of those authors are there
>>
>>9158832
How does it feel that the commie who was taught from these books was about as mature mathematically as an american undergrad? Soviet method is unparalleled for bright students, what do you think the asians used as a base for their education system. Look at IAS and tell me how many americans there are, versus how many ex-soviets, or chinese. The difference is huge, your arrogance lies on the shoulders of few outliers like Witten, who would be exceptional coming from any educational system. Yourgrad schools are top-notch, but everything under is africa-tier.
>>9158841
Make sure you only read those books targeted at highschool students. Trying to read Landau's theoretical physics would only discourage you from further learning.
>>
>>9158834
Do you think a paper saying you're special will make you special? Everyone has their goals, their methods, their abilities and their motivations. Maybe you think you need a paper to motivate you, maybe you want the paper to tell you that nothing is your fault.

Looking at a map is not the same as walking the route, the map may be wrong and there might be a bus stop along the way that makes the journey shorter.
>>
>>9158855

If you're talking about a degree, I really don't care.I'm more concerned about really grasping mathematics rather than rushing a graduation.
>>
>>9158866
Degree, IQ test, personality test. It's all just paper. You mentioned fear of taking an IQ test, which is what I was referring to.

I think the best advice I can give you is this: Opinions do not change reality, actions do. If you want to learn math then learn math, being persistent and adaptive is our species biggest strength.
>>
>>9158834
Yeah. Just jump in. Jump into math, learn calculus and stats. Think about what sorts of things you want to create/discover etc. But feel free to jump into the material. Just do what calls to you.
>>
>>9158816
Are there any good chemistry or physics soviet books?
>>
>>9159374
There's probably all kinds of great soviet stuff that is now quite difficult to access. You'd need to be a real expert/autist with a lot of time to get anything out of it though, and you'd need to speak Russian and probably live in Russia.
>>
>>9159374
For physics, there is the theoretical physics bible, by Landau called course in theoretical physics. It's 10 volumes and will leave you with better knowledge of theoretical physics than an average grad.
>>9159384
There are plenty soviet books in american antique stores thanks to the immigration, many good brains fled from Stalin. I got Khinchin's book, which is almost impossible even in europe, in a NJ antique shop. Many soviet books were also translated to french and german, so it's not that hard to get them translated. Libgen has some of them so you don't neccessarily have to go book-hunting to antique shops and book stores. You can also steal it from library for quite a modest price (i kept a rare Levin book and paid just 50€ penalty for it).
>>
>>9158767
>13 years of my brain's most plastic years wasted
Jesus fucking christ. There's just no end to you martyrs is there? Now you blame your own failings on wasting your years of neural plasticity?

I was a fucking useless shit in public schools and then working at store counters for my first 25 years, having done nothing but played consoles and computer games my whole life. And worked up to academia, a nice fucking job and started actually following the news and the ways of the world from there. But maybe that's because I never imagined I could just keep on sitting on my fucking ass and find everything else wrong with the world, never accepting any responsibility of my own.

"Waa mommy never told me to study when I was 10" holy shit. There are actual problems in the world, there are people who have been actually traumatised, abused, beaten, tortured in their childhood. And this is your excuse?

You fucking loser. No, you're not recoverable. Just go apply for welfare and rot, that's clearly the only thing you're good at. I'm sure you'll find plenty of other people to blame while you're doing it too. Please share them in r9k from this point on, you'll fit right in with the rest of the useless fucks there.
>>
>>9159659

>ignores half of the post
>goes on a rant without reading the rest of the thread

why are you so trigged?
>>
>>9158767
http://test.mensa.no/
Take it. If you score above 140 for the first time you might have a chance.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.