[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mathematical art Do any of you know any artists who specialize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 9

File: bYQfP.png (126KB, 336x519px) Image search: [Google]
bYQfP.png
126KB, 336x519px
Mathematical art

Do any of you know any artists who specialize in mathematics? Math is beautiful, it is very aesthetic.

>The symbols used to represent equations and theorems are aesthetic.
>The diagrams and labeling systems used in mathematics are aesthetic.

Mathematics is basically the most aesthetic thing in existence even though the common plebeians find it scary. I would love a giant painting on my wall containing diagrams and labels with no English language, depicting some of the deepest and most important fundamental theorems of our time, for instance maybe the relationship between calculus and infinite series, the concept of topological isomorphism, things like this. It would be so aesthetic

And I don't mean art inspired by mathematics, I mean art which is essentially a visual proof or explanation of a mathematical concept. This is both useful and aesthetically pleasing.

For instance if I met new girl and had her over, the first thing I would show her would be my painting showing the relationship between the entropy of information theory and the entropy of thermodynamics. She would be really impressed that I have such highly aesthetic tastes in art and no doubt she would be gushing

Maybe I will make some of this art
>>
>Mathematics is basically the most aesthetic thing in existence
thats a nice opinion
>>
File: 9r0oMNl.jpg (2MB, 1907x2906px) Image search: [Google]
9r0oMNl.jpg
2MB, 1907x2906px
Meet Fomenko.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoly_Fomenko
Gallery: http://imgur.com/r/math/vJX89
pic related is A space with nontrivial local homology [1967]

irrelevant but interesting:

Fomenko is a supporter of drastically revising historical chronology. He has created his own revision called New Chronology, based on statistical correlations, dating of zodiacs, and by examining the mathematics and astronomy involved in chronology. Fomenko claims that he has discovered that many historical events do not correspond mathematically with the dates they are supposed to have occurred on. He asserts from this that all of ancient history (including the history of Greece, Rome, and Egypt) is just a reflection of events that occurred in the Middle Ages and that all of Chinese and Arab history are fabrications of 17th and 18th century Jesuits.

He also claims that Jesus lived in the 12th century A.D. and was crucified on Joshua's Hill; that the Trojan War and the Crusades were the same historical event; and that Genghis Khan and the Mongols were actually Russians. As well as disputing written chronologies, Fomenko also disputes more objective dating techniques such as dendrochronology and radiocarbon dating (see here for an examination of the latter criticism). His books include Empirico-statistical Analysis of Narrative Material and Its Applications and History: Fiction or Science?.
>>
File: jXfoWQd.jpg (3MB, 1904x2905px) Image search: [Google]
jXfoWQd.jpg
3MB, 1904x2905px
>>9158650
His textbooks are also filled with his drawings, 'Homotopical Topology' with Fuchs is great to browse through

pic related
>Spectral sequences and orbits of the action of groups [1967]
>>
File: CcGIL0e.jpg (3MB, 1938x2756px) Image search: [Google]
CcGIL0e.jpg
3MB, 1938x2756px
>>9158653

The cylinder of a continuous mapping [1967]
>>
File: Alexander_horned_sphere.png (517KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Alexander_horned_sphere.png
517KB, 2000x1500px
>>9158650
>>9158653
>>9158656
These are amazing anon though not completely what I had in mind. I guess what I had in mind was mathematical diagrams, not pieces of art with math embedded in them
>>
File: Triple int 2.png (91KB, 799x511px) Image search: [Google]
Triple int 2.png
91KB, 799x511px
>>9158687
For instance, look at how aesthetic this is. A visual representation of the differentials in triple integrals. Just great
>>
>>9158650
Yeah, he's an ultimate crackpot when it comes to history. Never listen to someone who is that much far outside of their area of expertise
>>
>>9158650
>http://imgur.com/r/math/vJX89
This is really interesting. I always wonder how other mathematicians are imagining math, or what they see when they try to prove something. And these pictures, while of course catalysed into a "physical" image, seem to provide some sort of insight into Fomenko's inner eye.
>>
File: source (5).gif (750KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
source (5).gif
750KB, 540x540px
A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>9158624

The single best example of an artist who explicitly depicts mathematical concepts is M.C. Escher. Escher and his pictures are a meme these days, to a more sophisticated audience who take them for granted, but when you actually read about his life and work, you come to appreciate the significance of his contribution.

Escher was not trained as a mathematician, but at an early point in his career, he made a conscious decision to start depicting patterns in his art. A major source of inspiration for this was his visit to the Alhambra. Escher became a consummate professional at tiling the plane with figures, which he identified as being perturbations (on the sides) of quadrilaterals, triangles and hexagons, the primitive two-dimensional forms for tiling the plane. Escher himself also described the notions of "sliding cells" and the basic considerations of translation, rotation and reflection which are the essential rigid motions of euclidian geometry. Escher identified birds and fish as being the easiest forms to find to tile the plane, and he went beyond drawings such as this one, to do more elaborate artistic representations in his prints, which contain the same basic idea.

It doesn't stop at geometry though, of course. Topology is also addressed in a non-trivial fashion in items like Print Gallery and that one with the mobius strip with the ants crawling on it. And as an artist, Escher was good enough not to just do autistic schematics, but to /couch/ his images in terms of real human life and culture - specifically scenes from Europe.
>>
File: illustration.jpg (81KB, 550x537px) Image search: [Google]
illustration.jpg
81KB, 550x537px
>>9159513

pic related.
>>
>>9158690
>differential volume
Who called the pleb patrol?
>>
File: 1466954285378.png (122KB, 700x547px) Image search: [Google]
1466954285378.png
122KB, 700x547px
>>9158687
>>9158690

I once saved this gem off /sci/.
>>
>>9158624
>dandelin spheres
my man
Concepts like those, that combine different definitions and representations of the same thing so swiftly and aesthetically give me a brain boner.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.