[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long would it take a decent programmer to code a seven-stage,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: hello.png (6KB, 237x212px) Image search: [Google]
hello.png
6KB, 237x212px
How long would it take a decent programmer to code a seven-stage, two-choice discrimination version of a neuropsychological card sorting game.
>>

▲▲

newfags can't triforce
>>
Depends on your requirements. Surely you want some primitive user interface at aleast. I think I could make the core logic work in 2-3 hours (internal representation of the cars + when is a choosen card the right one) and the 5-6 hours for putting it together with the GUI, fixing some bugs, making a releasable.

That is just out of my ass, requirements are to important. I.e. stuff changes when you want it to be usable via a website etc.
>>

▲▲
>>
>>9157963
so could take like 12 hours maybe?
>>
>>9157959
>>9157966

what?
>>
>>9157963
and the logic of learning criterions also im assuming? e.g. 10 correct in a row means moving to a new stage.
>>
>> 9157973
Yeah I think that would be feasible for me. Two working days. No accounting for documentation or a nice GUI or hosting etc

>>9157979
That is already an extra requirement, would add 1 hour more or so? But that won't come alone - with that there will be some visual represantation of levels for example.

Two things to add: 1) The most complex task in my experience is how to figure out how to model the problem domain (here: cards, rules for the cards and levels.) Once that is done, things kinda fall in place naturally. 2) a bit of a contradiction to 1. : Flaws in the initial model might only appear later, and changing that stuff costs time. Other things might be problems with some libraries, unfamiliarity with them, technical problems etc.

As for language I would probably pick Haskell which I am learning currently - I did some similar task already so I am not completely new to that kind of problem. Still I will not be as productive as if I coded in Java. Much easier to make errors there tho.
>>
>>9157959

▲▲
>>
>>9157990
so out of interest, what is the main reason flaws come out of coding later on.
>>
>>9158022
the reason is fundamentaly that we as humans are bad at predicting complex interactions. (Computers suck even more at this). What I mean concretely: Often the client wants to change what he wants. Idealy, you would be able to change as few lines as possible to make the customer happy. Realistically, the change affects much more of the codebase than it should. This means more lines of code to change, possibly new behaviour to test etc. At the end, money.

This could have been avoided by modeling everything perfectly from the start: Abstract enough so that the change request just fits in, but also concrete enough so that the code is still performant and readible. That fine line of balance is really hard to hit tho and will only come appearent with the first change requests.

Another problem mostly for beginners or bad programmers (but also for the most capable onces) are errors that are not caught by tests. These errors will only appear when using the software - which sucks, since the cycle "use software - fix bug - recompile" is much longer than "test fails - fix bug - recompile". Reason being that with a testcase, you usually have full control about program execution, which is usally not the case when using the program.

Building working software is hard, but doable. Building working, mantainble software is quite fucking hard. (but very fun. so lucky I get paid for solving puzzles)
>>
>>9157949
Don't listen to this hack>>9158057. All he wants to do is get you to let him make something for you and overcharge you like shit without even completing the task. Take it from a kike. I know these things.
>>
>>9158110
But I am an experienced coder nonetheless. Ill take 5 dollars an hour and a name on any paper you publish with the software if you take me on. I do it at such low price because I understand where you at and I don't want to rip you off ya know.
>>
>>9158110
>>9157949 (OP)

OP you should hire this one - he does not make mistakes and loves to work for free. Because he is a magic unicorn, he feeds on rainbows, that is enough to sustain his living. Consider yourself lucky that that anon blessed this thread with his insights.
>>
Anon got a point tho: Most of the programers that talk about abstractions and requirements are just juggling with buzzwords without a deeper understanding. Some of them will also hide behind unnecessary abstractions (Java programmers are notorious for this) - which amounts to a more expensive product most of the time. That is violating the fine line of balance I mentioned into one direction.

Should you seriously consider hiring a programmer for this, you should look at his portfolio: What projects did he finish already? Ask him about one project, what techniqual decisions he made and why. Shit programers won't be able to explain this (to a non-technical person or even at all).
>>
I have no idea what a seven-stage, two-choice discrimination version of a neuropsychological card sorting game is but card games are pretty simple, it would only take a few hours unless you have to evaluate a trillion riemannian manifolds every second or want super fancy graphics or something

it might take less time if you have a template you are familiar with
>>
>>9157966
>>9157959
kek
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.