[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /sci/, I'm considering going for a STEM career but I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: STEM.png (95KB, 1074x1217px) Image search: [Google]
STEM.png
95KB, 1074x1217px
Hi /sci/, I'm considering going for a STEM career but I have a few questions for people that already have one.
>What did you major in and why?
>Did you enjoy university? Was it hard?
>How were you compared to everyone else in your classes? Average? Above average? The best?
>What do you work in and how is your pay?
>Do you regret anything?
>>
>>9156643
I don't see an art logo in that pic.
>>
>>9156643
Mechanical Engineering because I wanted to keep my options open

It was okay. Was a real grind at the end. Better than High School

>How were you compared to everyone else in your classes? Average? Above average? The best?

Slightly above average

I make $100k+ a year being a glorified maintenance man. Its comfy but can be a bit boring. I only do a couple hours of real work a day and spend the rest shitposting or looking at car parts on Amazon.

>Do you regret anything?
Ehh, kinda wish I had just sucked it up and knocked out a masters because I'm going to have to go back eventually if i don't want my career to stagnate.
>>
File: knick.jpg (535KB, 1437x1833px) Image search: [Google]
knick.jpg
535KB, 1437x1833px
>What did you major in
Physics.
>and why
I did an Astronomy project at school in my last year and so that was close to my interest
>Did you enjoy university?
Yes
>Was it hard?
Relative. But no, not really. The first 3 were a bit hard.
Above average
>What do you work in
Plasma chemistry (PhD), statistics (side jobs), Quantum computation (mostly just coding here), Augmented reality (my job now)
> and how is your pay?
Extremely good
>Do you regret anything?
Not learning programming earlier. I wish I had started with Haskell, then Python and then C for the first work cases. I also regret not having bought bitcoin when I first heard about it in 2010. I also dumped that one girl because I finally had a flat and wanted to be a slut and not tied down. Probably a bad move. Maybe I should have been going to the gym earlier. Then again, I think you gotta focus to get good, and I was focused most of my life. Now my interests spread out, and I feel that's actually a bad thing.
>>
>>9156681
>I also regret not having bought bitcoin when I first heard about it in 2010
I know how you feel, brother. I've been there in 2010 too.
I saw the price rising over and over again through all these years while thinking: "there's no way it's going any higher, I missed the peak".
I'm not falling for that anymore. I started investing in crypto last month and it's looking good so far. Currently my biggest long position is in OMG.
Would you like to share some knowledge, experiences, strategies, or anything else?
I'm done missing opportunities.
>>
>>9156711
Well I have a lot of opinions and some ideas but that's not the thread for that.Some months ago I made this clip
https://youtu.be/w3sI8WVX-cc
Somewhere on youtube is an email if you want to contribute or chat. I'm writing and running a bot on Bittrex and so I'm thinking a lot about strategies and I also do pull requests on the NEO github now.
>>
>Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.
>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.
Leave.
>>
>>9156643

Double Major in Phys+Chem, Minor in Math

Loved it, hard the first 3 years because I was a lazy piece of shit. Fun the last year because I actually paid attention and cared

Below average first three years, way above average last year, top mark in my 4th year quantum and stat mech classes

Grad student in chemical physics now. Pay is shit but doing a worthwhile Ph. D. in a top 20 school. Gonna make those sheks someday

>Do you regret anything?
Being a fucking brainlet my first three years, not getting involved in research earlier, not learning to code earlier, losing my gf
>>
>>9156794
Forgot to answer why: Because anything else is literally shit tier. Was debating majoring in applied math, but that's pretty much what I do now anyway.
>>
>>9156643
Computer science, because it's a topic I am passionate about and talented in.

I very much enjoyed it. It was never particularly challenging.

The best.

On paper, I'm a software developer. In reality, I design new abstract software-ish systems (protocols, cryptographic systems) and write papers about it. I also occasionally actually write the software but that is secondary.

Pay is meh. Nothing to complain about, but I could easily make twice my current wages. There are secondary considerations that make me prefer my current employment, though.

>Do you regret anything?
NOPE
>>
>>9156652
sounds awesome, i really hope you are not lying
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/adv/18703899
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.