[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it possible to remember something forever but impossible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (17KB, 239x211px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
17KB, 239x211px
Why is it possible to remember something forever but impossible to forget something forever? Why is it harder to forget rather than remember anyway?
>>
If you had forgotten something forever how would you know.
>>
>>9146596
are you retarded that's what I'm saying, people have a much harder time forgetting things than remembering them but its the exact same mechanics but in reverse for both, you can intentionally try to forget something but its like almost impossible or impossible
>>
>>9146629
we literally forget things all the time.
>>
>>9146594
The underlying mechanics of memory formation and storage are largely passive, then filtered, encoded, and restructured by more active processes. I was just reading a book / literature review from the 80's centered around the ideas about information storage that were forming at that time, which had to do with a shift away from a unidirectional perspective (dendrite to axon), and towards one involving the plasma membrane's surface glycoproteins. Interesting window into that period.

Regardless, I know personally that forgetting is just as easy to consciously "will" into reality. Whether that involves iteratively and exhaustively stripping associative links to memory fragments, and eventually generating false memories to wall off and scrub the recollection of something being forgotten, or outright mental compartmentalization, it is possible. People, as always, rolled their eyes, called me crazy, called me a fucking moron who didn't know shit about anything... then a few years go by and, yet again would'ja look at that, "science" meanders on through with the "new" (popularized formulation) discovery that memory formation can be biased consciously, as can forgetting. Neuroimaging provided suggestions for the parts of the brain active during this process, and thus its basis, so now everyone can feel safe and get all starry eyed about what I knew and accepted a decade ago. Others wrote textbooks on it long before I even fucking existed.

I feel very bitter and I am a misanthrope. I rarely if ever dislike a given individual, but "us" in the abstract, what people are, is a degenerate and disgusting thing.
>>
>>9146629

My theory is that memories with emotions tied to them stick around longer because they require multiple centers of the brain to create and recall.

There are drugs which can "detach" the emotions by "turning off" the emotional centers; repeated recall of the experience while in a psych session helps solidify the experience as a "fact" rather than an "intense experience". Once it is a fact it is basically a detached experience.
>>
>>9146970
Tell us about your techniques, anon.
>>
>>9146970
wtf are you talking about

>*confused jackie chan face*
>>
>>9146970
>>9146975
so in laymen terms, is it equal as a task for the brain to forget or remember or is one more difficult
>>
>>9146970
>Whether that involves iteratively and exhaustively stripping associative links to memory fragments, and eventually generating false memories to wall off and scrub the recollection of something being forgotten, or outright mental compartmentalization, it is possible.
Where do I read about this? Pretty sure I've seen you post something similar months ago, and I even asked you about it, but I completely forgot about the thread afterwards and never came back to check for a response. I've got it bookmarked this time though.
>>
Posted this in another thread, ill post it one more time.

I've got no science background but listening to this guy describe research, theories, and hypothesizes concerning memory and conditioning is interesting and informing.

Sometimes there's things i dont understand, but if you keep listening he explains it or what it means in a way that a layman can understand.

From what i can tell, the lecturer is trying to show why he believes memory is stored on a molecular level, in contrast to the idea it is stored with the synapse and electrical frequencies.

https://youtu.be/JCDaURmKPm4
>>
>>9147014
btw start at 16:20
>>
>>9147014
Urgh I dont wanna watch 1:46.
>>
>>9146629
>people have a much harder time forgetting
[citation needed]
People forget and alter their memories on a fucking daily basis. Comparatively, there are very few things people will remember in a correct fashion, for the entirety of their lives.
>>
Thats understandable. I've not watched it all yet. Plus it doesnt answer op's question, but i think it sort of shows that we dont have an answer to op's question yet.

Heres an interesting excerpt.

>Memory performs the same function in the temporal domain that the action potential performs in the spacial domain.
>The action potential carries information from one place in the nervous system to another place in the nervous system where that information may be needed.
>A memory carries information from one moment in time to later moments in time where that same information is needed.
>The memory mechanism not only has to carry information forward in time, it has to have the property where the system can ask for it back.
>>
>>9147045
>>9147073
>>
>>9146970
Can you tell us how to induce retrograde amnesia, i.e., forget a specific memory or set of memories?
>>
>>9147047
im talking about the essence of the memory, you can't completely eliminate a memory, im not talking about accuracy in recollection
>>
>>9146594
Because your brain thinks that forgetting a traumatic experience is not a good thing
>>
>>9146629
That's retarded. I've forgotten so many passwords for online accounts it's embarrassing.
>>
>>9147327
i didnt say all memories are unforgettable but everything is rememberable as in reconizable to the brain, but what ever the brain reconizes it can never forget, like if you forgot your password then someone told you youd go oh yea thats my old password, fuckin fagot
>>
>>9147335
notthis guy but thats retarded
people xan forget things easily but if we're talking about motions and ideas it's literally the matter of repetition the more you say a thing and for the longer period its then very hard to forget
but if you were to tell me a password from my highschool for my class computer I wouldn't recognise it belive me
>>
Can you remember what you did on June 7th 2008? Even if I told you exactly what you did, would you suddenly remember? Unless the day was by pure happenstance remarkable for some reason, you've likely completely forgotten it, and even being told what happened won't jog your memory. And this is true for the overwhelming majority of all days you've ever lived (obviously they become more common the further back you go)
>>
>>9147344
You will never forget that your father beat you everday for a month, never
>>
>>9147380
So thats what I'm saying remarkable memories William always be remembered but they can never be forgotten, why?
>>
>>9147601
Remarkable isn't a binary. Somethings are more remarkable than others. I have no doubt I have forgotten many many things I thought were remarkable at the time, but now are whatever.

You have an inbuilt confirmation bias because you're talking about events happening or not happening, but the question is about your memory of the events themselves!
>>
>>9147617
No I'm staying you will never forget, the reminder of those events will rejog your memory
>>
mayb memories have to be recalled every so often to remain memories and what dreams are is the random activation of some memories marked for long term storage, thus the bizarre quality to them
>>
>>9147750
Interesting theory, this actually seems extremely plausible
>>
>>9147380
Just because theyre inaccessible doesnt necessarily meab theyre not there
>>
>>9148724
exactly, that mental cuck, doesnt understand,
>>
>>9146594
What's her name, anon
>>
I have amnesia similar to Alzheimer's I just got tested and am waiting for results
>>
>>9146629
You probably don't remember what you had for lunch last week.

Intentionally forgetting something is hard, because you have to know something in the first place to forget it intentionally. But lots of information is just thrown out, leaving a perfect blank.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.