[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /sci/ im a CS major and am interested in curing diseases

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: unnamed.png (52KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
52KB, 300x300px
hey /sci/
im a CS major and am interested in curing diseases and shit. I used to think of developing AI to do CRISPR researches and shit. But nowadays, I think doing biology or bioengineering is more suitable for that. Amirite? or should I stick with CS because it's still viable?
>>
>>9144609
Stay in CS and work on a VR waifu Ai instead of a bio-organic waifu.

>curing diseases
Don't fool yourself.
>>
>>9144629
unfortunately that's my least interest...
im sure someone else will do that for you
>>
>>9144609
I work in a cancer/bio lab.

You need to read this:
http://www.parallel-algorithms-book.com/ (free draft book) as it will cover interesting techniques such as the genome shotgun sorting technique. It assumes you have some functional programming background, if you don't read Robert Harper's "Programming in Standard ML" latest draft off his personal site.

As I just posted elsewhere I also read Volume 4A of The Art of Computer Programming, and every single algorithm in there is extensively used in biotech labs such as generating all groups, all possible combinations, ect.

There is also often posts to ycombinator/Hacker News every month looking for people who want to work in a CRISPR like startup (there's many more methods now besides CRISPR) and there isn't many requirements, just standard computer science undergrad and willing to learn biotech end of it.

If you're a brainlet they even hire for web devs, because almost always they want some kind of sleek UI for doctors and researches to use to access data in these labs and biotech startups.
>>
>>9144691
Forgot to add this work doesn't pay much, even these biotech startups have shit pay (like $50k-125k depending on exp) but hours are good, work is very interesting and challenging, and if you're American you can pull the slot machine by taking options they offer so you can cash out if some gigantic pharma corp buys our your startup. There are no such options in my country it's straight salary
>>
>>9144705
thx for your input. I rly dont care about money that much. I just want to do what I want to do. I guess I can stick to CS and still be able to do what I am passionate about. Thx anon
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.