[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does it mean to "write the sum"? The exercise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1400257159131.gif (3MB, 300x181px) Image search: [Google]
1400257159131.gif
3MB, 300x181px
What does it mean to "write the sum"?

The exercise instructions are as follows:
> Write each sum. Then answer the question.

Do they mean to write the mathematical expression (summation), then provide the answer (sum)?
>>
what level ?
middle school for the retarded ? learn to use Sigma and write the sum without computing the closed form
college ? compute it, even if it's not asked it shouldn't be too hard I guess
>>
>>9144450
I tutor children at all levels from all over the world; this particular example was for K-1 students.

I find it to be a poorly formed instruction that is probably a simple mistake on their part, but I wanted to find out if this wasn't some kind of regional misunderstanding.

If it is just a quirk of the language found in a specific region, I'd like to know that and be able to research it so that I can explain it rationally to people.
>>
>>9144471
>>9144499 was meant for >>9144471.
>>
>>9144450
I'm not an expert of dialects or anything, but for my money it sounds like the authors of the exercise were just fucked. What information was given with "each"?
>>
>>9146070
Doesn't matter. I've never heard of any English speaking population where "write each sum, then answer the question" makes sense.
>>
>>9144450

It might just mean "copy them down onto your worksheet / workbook".
>>
>>9147603
Good point. Unfortunately the exercise appeared in a printed workbook where you were supposed to put all work and answers so that does not answer our particular question. Thanks for your response.
>>
>>9144450

An Infinite supply of chocolate!

Though it sucks how the bar is noticeably shorter on the loop, kek. if the maker had really wanted to keep the illusion then he would have paid attention to that detail.
>>
>>9149472
I think he tried, that's why there's a visible gap left in the diagonal cut.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.