[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It is speculated that Pi may be an 'infinite' number

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0784.jpg (170KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0784.jpg
170KB, 612x612px
It is speculated that Pi may be an 'infinite' number because the sequence of digits following its decimal point is of seemingly unlimited (or at least indeterminate) length

Using the same logic one may perhaps also argue that any cardinal number is also infinite, in the sense that it may be expressed in the same decimal form. E.g. "7.000.... etc"

This seems silly and counter-intuitive though because the extra digits are adding no new information.

But then, assuming pi at some point (after trillions of digits for example) began to loop back and repeat the same sequence of digits as naseum, does that also mean Pi is not infinite?
>>
>>9139275
>assuming pi at some point (after trillions of digits for example) began to loop back and repeat the same sequence of digits as naseum
Then it would be rational, but it's not.
>>
>>9139275
>durrrrrrrrr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_that_%CF%80_is_irrational
>>
File: CIYvAwHWIAAqLZH.png (248KB, 418x457px) Image search: [Google]
CIYvAwHWIAAqLZH.png
248KB, 418x457px
Is pi embedded in the digits of pi?
>>
>>9139275
If pi was infinite you could assign values to the numbers, like letters, and end up with the Library of Babble.
>>
>>9139275
>It is speculated that Pi may be an 'infinite' number because the sequence of digits following its decimal point is of seemingly unlimited (or at least indeterminate) length

This is true of ALL numbers you retard.
>1.00000000000000000000--->repeat forever
>>
>>9139306
Infinite non-repeating digits does not imply that all sequences are made. Pi has not been proven to be a normal number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_number
>>
>>9139299
Nope, else it'd be rational
>>
File: wtf.png (102KB, 1772x1232px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
102KB, 1772x1232px
>>9139349
You misunderstand something. If it is infinite there's no way for it not to repeat. Ergo, it isn't infinite.
>>
>>9139323
OP's post is him independently discovering the concept of irrationality because he apparently never learned about it in school or something. If you read his whole post he already said what you're saying and then asks if pi starts repeating itself would it then be as non-infinite as a rational number. And he's right, if pi repeated itself then it wouldn't be irrational. The worst you can accuse him of is ignorance, as opposed to the stupidity we can accuse you of for not understanding how to parse his question.
>>
>>9139403
>If it is infinite there's no way for it not to repeat.
You're still not getting it. Not repeating does not mean all sequences are made. Example:

0.1001000100001... never repeats, but it certainly doesn't contain every sequence (in base 10 or even base 2).
>>
File: 2017-08-31.png (20KB, 847x266px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-31.png
20KB, 847x266px
>>9139403
I absolutely love the library of babel
>everything you could ever say has already been recorded in it
>>
>>9139555
That's not actually how it works. It generates what you search for.
>>
>>9139558
aww, you've ruined the fun for me ;-;
>>
>>9139561
That's what I'm here for.
>>
File: IMG_0711.jpg (97KB, 455x675px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0711.jpg
97KB, 455x675px
>>9139417

Op here

Yes I never learned about it but discovered it myself anyway. All of you pompous egg heads studying for years to learn about something that I discovered independently while snapping off a shit at work!!!
>>
>>9139568
You should have learned this in grade 5 you moron.
>>
>>9139588

You know this information because someone explained it to you

I know because I discovered it independently using the powers of my own intellect (while breaking off a log!)

Who is the moron?
>>
>>9139594
Congratulations op.
>>
>>9139275
>the digits of pi repeat the same sequence
fucking brainlet, that can't happen, because that sequence can be changed to the form a + b + b*c + b*c^2 + b*c^3 ..., where b is the rational number corresponding to the first iteration of the looping sequence of digits, c is 10^-(the number of digits of b), and a is the rational number corresponding to all of the digits before b. Obviously, this infinite sequence simplifies to a + b*(1/1 - c), which is rational, which can't be pi.
>>
>>9139594
>Who is the moron?

Still you.
>>
>>9139602
>Obviously
You didn't figure that out yourself, you either read it or were taught it by someone else.
>>
>>9139594
I may be the moron, but you're the brainlet.
>>
Japs love these things. Why don't Aussies just sell them to Asians?
>>
>>9139275
Mathematicians thought their mental masturbation would have relevance because they assumed the physical continuity of the universe. 20th century experiments proved otherwise, yet for some strange reason they persisted in their own infantile thought experiments. Their entire "profession" is anthropomorphized perfectly by the ageing physicist in pic related.
>>
File: 20120321[1].gif (289KB, 576x2992px) Image search: [Google]
20120321[1].gif
289KB, 576x2992px
>>9140586
>>
>>9139403
>If it is infinite there's no way for it not to repeat.
Prove it.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.