[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are people (and especially students) generally dumber or smarter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 1503950938115.png (8KB, 355x424px) Image search: [Google]
1503950938115.png
8KB, 355x424px
Are people (and especially students) generally dumber or smarter than they were 20-30 years ago?
>>
>>9138222

Dumber only because everyone and their grandmother is forced into college so they can hold down a shitty office job. The average stacie or chad isn't interested in their field of study, and if they are it's usually due to pseudo-intellectual ego inflation.

STEM autists have it just as hard today as before. The only difference is that technology compensating for raw calculation on paper means schools can jam more content into a curriculum. On average students are dumb as shit, but that is because of the general population bum-rushing the formerly elite and relatively isolated academic community. Academia was the domain of richfags and IQfags. To some extent European countries maintain academic segregation, with normies going to vocational schools and more quick minds getting sent off to a university. I bet good money that the average Eurofag college student is smarter.

As far as the general population goes, fuck if I know. I'm not convinced that we aren't at the same ratio of retards to geniuses that we were centuries before. Literacy is fine and dandy but that doesn't prevent your average normy from engaging in utterly fucking retarded memes like MLM's and email phishing scams. I honestly think people had better street smarts before than now, and that we've traded one for the other. Stacey and Chad can read and write as well as shitpost on cuckbook, that doesn't mean they contribute anything of value to society. An illiterate blacksmith objectively does more for the world than a literate office drone.
>>
>>9138222
About the same.
Go back 2000 years. People had about the same intelligence distribution, assuming appropriate nutrition. Not IQ obviously, but intelligence. They were just as clever and crafty. Only things that have really changed is our tools and how much free time we have, and the ability to build upon the work done by those before us.
>>
File: 1494181334292.jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1494181334292.jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
Dumber, if we consider the whole planet. The relative proportion of Africans and Indians on Earth is larger than it was 20-30 years ago, and those people generally don't fare well in IQ tests.

If we consider only white people, then I doubt there has been any change in 20-30 years. IQ mostly genetic, and obviously we haven't suddenly evolved to be smarter within this time period. Also, the standard of living in western countries hasn't improved so much that it could've improved our intelligence.
>>
>>9138303
If you're gonna bring up IQ nonsense then you can't ignore the Flynn effect.
>>
File: Negative Flynn Effect.png (125KB, 1424x431px) Image search: [Google]
Negative Flynn Effect.png
125KB, 1424x431px
>>9138305
Flynn effect has been inverted in developed countries for a long time.
We're dropping a couple IQ points per decade.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289616300198
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289613000470
>>
>>9138305
>IQ nonsense
>muh Flynn effect

Someone is assmad.
>>
File: Moss - Sub Templum - CDface.png (717KB, 1582x1543px) Image search: [Google]
Moss - Sub Templum - CDface.png
717KB, 1582x1543px
>>9138222
>>9138295
Google flynn effect
>>9138302
free time and greater access to technology enable people to do abstract things to develop their intelligence.
>>
>>9138303
IQ is definitely not mostly genetic, if you go to school almost every day from the ages of 5 to 18 and regularly have to practise maths, read books, learn history and solve puzzles you're gunna be more able in an IQ test that someone who never went to school and spent most of their adolescence on a farm learning how to plant crops
>>
>>9138433
This is because of increased immigration. The flynn effect is still a thing among native residents
>>
>>9138842
Immigration is only a part of the decline.
The dysgenic trends inherent to modern society are the major cause.

The flynn effect was purely a result of minimizing environmental weights limiting genetic potential, such as malnutrition, childhood illness, and exposure to damaging chemicals and substances.
>>
>>9138863

This
>>
>>9138842
Estonia and Finland showed pretty big decrases in intelligence.
>>9138863
This
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.